Mehta: Geno Can't Be Serious with pro - Bowl caliber QB Comment

flgreen

NY Jets Geno Smith can't be serious with 'Pro Bowl-caliber' QB comment

Smith’s poor play will cost many people their jobs in three weeks, including his head coach and perhaps his general manager. Pro Bowl quarterbacks don't do that.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 7:57 PM A A A

Geno Smith has not played like a Pro Bowl quarterback - or even shown the 'flashes' he thinks he has shown - this season. But don't tell him that.

Geno Smith has not played like a Pro Bowl quarterback - or even shown the 'flashes' he thinks he has shown - this season. But don't tell him that.

Geno Smith provided the type of comic relief sometimes necessary to make it through a miserable season, a knee-slapping hilarious moment to inject amusement into your day.

If laughter is indeed the best medicine, then the Jets quarterback was Dr. Feelgood with his latest self-evaluation.

"I've shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback," Smith told a local TV station and Newsday (presumably with a straight face) on Tuesday night.

That kind of delusion comes along once in a decade, if you’re lucky.

Smith has been one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL by nearly every meaningful statistical measure in the past two years. He is a living, breathing turnover robot that has shown virtually no instincts to play the most important position in team sports. He has regressed by every objective measure after a radically inconsistent rookie season. He’s 9-17 as a starter, including 1-9 this season.

Smith’s poor play will cost many people their jobs in three weeks, including his head coach and perhaps his general manager.

In layman’s terms, he has stunk up the joint.

“I literally put my hands over my eyes and said, ‘Why, Geno? Why are you even talking?’” one front office executive told me upon reading Smith’s assessment of himself. “He’s not a naturally confident guy, so he needs to say stuff like that to keep him going.”

Smith insisted in October that the media “miscommunicated” things about his uneven season, but the reality is that his poor performance and off-field missteps (see: cursing at a fan and missing a team meeting the night before a game) are why he’s fallen out of favor with a fan base hoping to turn the page on this failed two-year experiment.

Smith admitted that he’s taken “a little bit” of offense at fans wanting the Jets to lose down the stretch to be better positioned to draft a franchise quarterback, but it’s obvious at this point that the franchise needs to hitch its wagon to somebody else’s star. A quarterback change is coming soon enough.

Meanwhile, Ryan was left to clarify Smith’s remarks on Wednesday, fighting the good fight without much success.

“I don’t think that Geno (meant) that he could be a Pro Bowl quarterback… ” Ryan spun. “Is it attainable? Who knows?”

SPOILER ALERT: Geno Smith will not be a Pro Bowl quarterback in this millennium.

The only place Smith is number one is seemingly in his own head.

“At times,” Ryan insisted, “This guy’s had some phenomenal games.”

Oh, really?

Strip away the nonsense and the truth is that Smith has played a grand total of one “phenomenal” game in his career: Oct. 7, 2013.

On that Monday night in Atlanta, Smith was everything that Ryan, John Idzik and Marty Mornhinweg hoped he’d be. His poise and smart decision-making resulted in career highs in touchdown passes (three) and QB rating (147.7) in a come-from-behind 30-28 win that included a masterful two-minute drive in the waning moments.

The moment turned out to be nothing more than a flicker of false hope.

Smith has had a few other passable performances, but nothing special. He’s the lowest rated passer in the league the past two years. He’s last in passer rating (68.0) this season. Arizona’s Drew Stanton is the only current starter with a lower completion percentage than Smith’s 57.8 in 2014.

Smith has committed a turnover in 81 percent of his career starts (21 of 26). He’s committed multiple turnovers in nearly half of his starts (12 games).

Smith already has eight pick-sixes. He has thrown a touchdown to the opposition once every 91 pass attempts, which is by far the worst ratio for any quarterback since 1940, according to ProFootballReference.com.

Mike Vick had more games with a 100+ QB rating (two) in three starts this season than Smith has in his career (one).

Smith, however, still thinks he’s played at a Pro Bowl level from time to time.

“I feel like I have the tools and I have what it takes to be that,” Smith said.

“But obviously, it takes consistency and I’ve been very inconsistent in my two years here.”

Ryan praised Smith’s work ethic and physical gifts, but there’s no debating the quarterback’s subpar decision-making. His feel for the position has been alarmingly bad.

“I really don’t think it’s fair to judge him right now,” Ryan said. “Give him some time and we’ll see how he develops.”

If football doesn’t work out, Smith might want to wander over to Carolines on Broadway, where he’s sure to be a hit.

“He’s not a naturally confident guy, so he needs to say stuff like that to keep him going.”

I agree with anonymous executive. I think that's Geno's downfall. He makes a small mistake, something goes wrong, and self doubt overtakes him. And that effects everything he does, particularly when it comes to leading the team. He just doesn't have the personality for it. That's not something he can easily fix, either. Best thing for it would be to have some of those flashes, string some of them together, but he really hasn't demonstrated that ability.

Archived