Question About QB's

KRL

With all of the QB issues going on in the NFL:

- Us, forever
- CHI with Cutler regressing
- WAS with Griffin regressing
- SF with Kaepernick regressing
- TB, TEN, BUF, HOU ...

The question is why is it so hard to find/develop a QB???
With all of the rules in favor of the offense and teams on
every level (high school, college & pros) running these
wide open offenses why isn't there a bigger pool of
competent QB's to choose from?  I could understand if this
was years ago when there was "bump & run" coverage why it
would be hard to be a successful QB.  I'm interested in
people's thoughts   

Lack of patience, too many QB's being rushed to start before they are ready. Aaron Rodgers got 3 full years on the bench that rarely happens any more. 

The lack of a developmental league hurts. NFL Europe used to be good for getting these guys real experience. 

To a certain extent it's always been hard to find QBs. There would be a great year like 1983 and then a bunch of busts. So I'm not sure how much of this is a new problem.  It's always been a supply demand situation where there are like 15-20 "real" QB's for 28-32 jobs. 

- Us, forever

- TB, TEN, BUF, HOU ...

people's thoughts   

I think a lot of it has to do with the egos of the HC's and OC's .They often have their preferred method of running an offense and try to mold young, raw  QB's to fit schemes that they are not often best suited for.  There are only so many true generational talents out there like Manning , Brees ,Luck , Rodgers etc.. where basically the teams give carte blance to the QB. In most other cases the QB is forced into a brand new offense and mechanics that they're not really comfortable witth.

Most college systems run deep to short. The reason this matters is because you don't get trained over time to plant your feet to drive the deep ball. This creates mechanical problems which filter down, all that take years to correct. The majority of college coaches tend to not really care about a bunch of these problems for a variety of reasons, from the demands of their actual job to what's required to win a national championship.

Finding a quarterback is extraordinarily difficult, absolutely. However the hard part isn't finding the prospect so much as it is staffing a franchise with the right people who can spot a guy that is worth putting the time into. That's the real trick.

Lack of patience, too many QB's being rushed to start before they are ready. Aaron Rodgers got 3 full years on the bench that rarely happens any more. 

The lack of a developmental league hurts. NFL Europe used to be good for getting these guys real experience.

So true. Players aren't given the proper amount of time to develop.  You have high draft picks rushed into action way too soon. At the same time, raw players who are drafted later (or not drafted at all) have no way to develop because they're out of the league in a flash.

And that isn't just with quarterbacks. Look at Brandon Moore.  He would have been out of the league in a year or two in today's league.

A developmental league would go a long way towards improving the overall quality of the NFL. 

To a certain extent it's always been hard to find QBs. There would be a great year like 1983 and then a bunch of busts. So I'm not sure how much of this is a new problem.  It's always been a supply demand situation where there are like 15-20 "real" QB's for 28-32 jobs. 

the mid 90's to the early 2000's produced a ton of sh*tty prospects....

Good post.  Sad but true. Jets fans waiting 45 years for a real QB. !   Vinny T.  was like the beautiful girl you got 1 date with and then she moved to Australia. Gone forever.

the mental ability is much more rare than the physical talent and it is difficult to scout whether a guy can handle NFL defenses and pressure without seeing him actually do it. you can measure IQ easily but much more difficult to measure decisionmaking under fire when everyone on the other side of the ball is the best of the best that you faced in college.

Lack of patience, too many QB's being rushed to start before they are ready.

The lack of a developmental league hurts.

To a certain extent it's always been hard to find QBs. There would be a great year like 1983 and then a bunch of busts. So I'm not sure how much of this is a new problem.  

Nice to be able to agree with Bit for a change, +1, spot on post.

- Us, forever

- TB, TEN, BUF, HOU ...

people's thoughts   

Funny, I feel like the job is a lot easier than it used to be and you're just focusing on the negatives.

There are only like 3 starters who have more INT's than TD's this season (even Eli is 2:1), very few starters with a less than 60% completion ratio, 11 guys on pace for 30+ TD's, and another dozen to eclipse 3,500 yards.

Maybe the guys you mentioned just suck and nothing would ever change that?

I dunno.  There clearly isnt a science to this.  Some guys just got it, some guys just dont.  Luck plays a big part, whether fans want to admit it or not.

Archived