Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists named ...Still no Klecko

Jetfan13

First-year candidates Junior Seau, Kurt Warner and Orlando Pace are among 18 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Associated Press reports.

The list of nominees was reduced Thursday to 15 from the modern era, one senior and two contributors. A finalist must receive at least 80 percent of the votes from the 46-person selection committee to be elected.

The class of 2015 will be announced Jan. 31 in Phoenix during "NFL Honors," the TV show in which The Associated Press hands out its eight individual NFL awards. Inductions will be in August in Canton, Ohio.

The modern-day finalists are kicker Morten Andersen, running back Jerome Bettis, wide receiver Tim Brown, coach Don Coryell, running back Terrell Davis, coach Tony Dungy, linebacker-defensive end Kevin Greene, linebacker-defensive end Charles Haley, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, coach Jimmy Johnson, safety John Lynch, and guard Will Shields.

The senior nominee is former Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff.

Special contributors are Bill Polian and Ron Wolf, the architects of Super Bowl teams as executives

Because, man, don't you know there's a fat running back with a cute nickname eligible for induction?

Who Bettis?

I can understand Will Shields getting in but then how is Mawae not even a finalist? 

I love John Lynch getting into the HOF.  If he played today with Goodell's asinine PI rules he'd get called for PI every other play he wouldn't even be able to get on the field.

We're really going to say Betti's isn't a HOFer? 6th all time in rushing yards. He's a HOFer.

Vinny is pretty up there in passing stats. He a HOFer, too?

It was rare that Bettis was even a top five RB in his own era, yet he's one of the GOATs simply because he hung around forever?

He only averaged 4+ yards per carry, the minimum threshold of effectiveness, four times in 13 years. For his career, he's at 3.9. He didn't catch passes, and despite his size and reputation for dominating in short yardage, he was not a great TD scorer. He only had two seasons of double digit scores. And for someone with a rep of a workhorse, he only had 300+ carries 5 times in his 13 year career.

Bettis is the most over-rated RB in the history of the game. His numbers are most comparable to those of Corey Dillon, who was better than Bettis and will never even sniff the HOF.

Klecko makes All-Pro at 2 different positions and makes Pro-Bowl at 3 different positions.... He dominated games(being double and triple teamed) much more than Bettis and many others. Add to that he came out of a small school(Temple) and was drafted in the 6th Rd.This is a CRIME!

Klecko not on the ballot for the Hall of Fame now there is something to protest with a banner behind a plane or to put on t-shirts and towels to show support and unity.

Hey, shouldnt you be working?

Vinny is pretty up there in passing stats. He a HOFer, too?

It was rare that Bettis was even a top five RB in his own era, yet he's one of the GOATs simply because he hung around forever?

He only averaged 4+ yards per carry, the minimum threshold of effectiveness, four times in 13 years. For his career, he's at 3.9. He didn't catch passes, and despite his size and reputation for dominating in short yardage, he was not a great TD scorer. He only had two seasons of double digit scores. And for someone with a rep of a workhorse, he only had 300+ carries 5 times in his 13 year career.

Bettis is the most over-rated RB in the history of the game. His numbers are most comparable to those of Corey Dillon, who was better than Bettis and will never even sniff the HOF.

Agree completely. the last 3/4 of his career he was almost 300 lbs and was just running into the line and falling on people. very very over rated.

Sadly I don't think Joe will ever get in. Not because he doesn't deserve to, but because he was sent to prison some years ago about some kind of a stupid insurance fraud.

Wow I never heard that. How do you know that? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow I never heard that. How do you know that? If you don't mind me asking.

Kind of a BS case, seems like he was trying to help a friend pull a fraud. It's the only reason i can think of that they won't even consider him for the Hall. He deserves to be in.

Ex-football Star Jailed For Perjury Joe Klecko Lied To The Grand Jury. He And 66 Others Were Indicted In An Insurance Scam.

By Emilie Lounsberry, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

POSTED: April 09, 1993

Former Temple and New York Jets football player Joe Klecko yesterday was sentenced to three months in prison for lying to a federal grand jury that was investigating insurance fraud.

U.S. District Judge Harvey Bartle 3d also ordered Klecko, 39, of Malvern, to remain under home detention for an additional three months after his release from prison, to pay a $3,000 fine and to perform 150 hours of community service during two years of supervised release.

"We make a mighty effort in this country to give all people justice. That goal cannot be realized if people are going to lie under oath," said Bartle before announcing the sentence. "It just shatters the whole foundation of our system."

Moments earlier, Klecko apologized for his actions.

"I am sorry not only for myself but I am more deeply sorry for the pain and the embarrassment that it has caused everyone in my family," Klecko told the judge.

Klecko was among 67 people indicted in October as a result of a federal investigation that documented the submission of hundreds of phony insurance claims totaling more than $5 million for paint damage to cars and trucks.

The defendants included eight current and former appraisers and supervisors working out of the Travelers Insurance Co. office in Voorhees, 32 owners and employees of auto body shops in the Philadelphia area and 27 others who participated in fraudulent claims.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael J. Holston said that 64 people, including Klecko, have been convicted or have pleaded guilty.

One defendant was acquitted and the cases of two others were dismissed.

Also yesterday, Holston said, Richard Lister, 46, of Aston, Delaware County, owner of one of the auto body shops, was sentenced to 30 months for racketeering and obstruction of justice. Holston said three others were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 months for committing perjury before the grand jury.

THE DAMAGE CLAIMS

The fraudulent insurance claims stemmed from damage to the surface of vehicles allegedly caused by the Marcus Hook refinery, which is operated by Sun Oil Co.

The refinery emitted chemical particles and debris from its smokestacks between 1988 and 1990, and Sun Oil received complaints about damage to cars and trucks caused by the debris.

According to the federal indictment, Klecko lied about an insurance claim submitted in 1988 for his truck, falsely testifying that his truck had been damaged and falsely saying that the truck had been repainted.

In fact, the indictment stated, the truck was not damaged and had never been repainted.

TESTIFIED WITHOUT LAWYER

Klecko's attorney, John Wing, said Klecko had lied to protect a friend. He said Klecko would have been better served if he had been represented by an attorney when he appeared before the grand jury.

"A lot of people say a lot of bad things about lawyers these days, but the guidance a lawyer would have given in the situation would have kept us out of court - there would have been no crime," Wing said.

But Holston and Assistant U.S. Attorney Lee J. Dobkin wrote in a memorandum to Bartle that Klecko had been warned "at great length" not to lie before he

went before the grand jury and was warned again not to lie in the presence of the grand jury.

"Yet, the defendant chose to disregard these warnings and tell an involved, rehearsed story in efforts to protect his friends," they wrote.

Archived