An In-Depth Look: Quarterback Mike Glennon

Villain The Foe

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much like Jay Bilas is obsessed with "length", I think people are obsessed with a 6-5 QB with decent arm strength.  That's all I keep hearing about him from the pro-Glennon crowd. 

But when you ask about pocket presence, accuracy, and the fact that this year he got to throw to Vincent Jackson AND Mike Evans (you know, the guy who made Johnny Manziel look good in college), that same crowd goes silent.

No, the problem with the Glennon bashers is that they do not listen to what any of his supporters have to say.

Yeah, he had VJax and Evans. For FIVE games. FIVE games of the 18 he has started. And he had a 19-9 TD/INT ratio in the other 13.

No, the problem with the Glennon bashers is that they do not listen to what any of his supporters have to say.

Yeah, he had VJax and Evans. For FIVE games. FIVE games of the 18 he has started. And he had a 19-9 TD/INT ratio in the other 13.

Well since McCown was released I guess it is now a moot point.  It looks like Tampa is hedging their bets and if they do trade Glennon they are gonna want a lot. 

Well since McCown was released I guess it is now a moot point.  It looks like Tampa is hedging their bets and if they do trade Glennon they are gonna want a lot. 

Give them a 2nd round pick if that's the only thing that will get it done. He's worth taking the risk. Tampa Bay is really showing to be one of the worst organizations in the league in regards to handling that QB position. 

McCown gets hurt, they put Glennon in and they let McCown go back in to finish the season just to cut him soon after the season ends. It seems like Tampa is going to draft that QB with the thought of having Glennon start while letting Winston/Mariota ride the bench and let their losses make the decision of replacing Glennon with the rookie. 

The Jets need to figure out a way to get this guy. 

Give them a 2nd round pick if that's the only thing that will get it done. He's worth taking the risk. Tampa Bay is really showing to be one of the worst organizations in the league in regards to handling that QB position.

McCown gets hurt, they put Glennon in and they let McCown go back in to finish the season just to cut him soon after the season ends. It seems like Tampa is going to draft that QB with the thought of having Glennon start while letting Winston/Mariota ride the bench and let their losses make the decision of replacing Glennon with the rookie.

The Jets need to figure out a way to get this guy.

a 2nd round pick!? Are you drunk? Not even a 3rd for this guy... and you say the Bucs are known to be the worst organization to develop quarterbacks, yet we're the damn shameful New York Jets.

I think Tampa would trade him for a 4th this year and something next year based on his performance. Tampa could then sign Shaun Hill/Jason Campbell to act as a mentor and to start until after the Bye or Thanksgiving once they have the oline playing cohesive

Fair enough...at least you're not completely in the..he's tall, has a big arm and isnt Geno Smith category.  However, his stats are totally misleading.  Do a deeper dive and you'll see that he's atrocious until his team is down and they're playing catch up vs. some prevent fluff garbage D's.

Just look at his splits stats.  I know the kid is young but all you need to know about his game can be founds looking at his stats when the game is tied or they're above...its terrible.  But when they're behind...he's o.k.   3rd down?  He completes 45% of his passes.  The other stat is his passes over 10 yards. 38% between 10-20. 52% from 21-30.

The one stat I see that I like is his redzone efficiency.  While his completion % is low, he's 13-1 TD vs. INT in the RedZone.  That's solid. He was even better the year before in the RedZone and some off his stats were slightly better from 2013.  But its pretty consistent that he's really doing most his damage in garbage time. 

Okay, not to say or imply that one half of football is a good way to judge a QB, but I watched Glennon against Seattle yesterday as IMO it should show a lot about him as he was a rookie, on the road, in the toughest place to play in the NFL against the eventual SB champs.  I knew TB lost the game but had no idea how the game unfolded, only that Glennon ended up with a good stat line and I was pressed for time so only watched the first half.

First half stats were 11/12 124 yds 2 TD's 0 INT's and his one incomplete pass was a deep ball down the left sideline where you could make a case that the ref missed a PI call (Browner?)  He did a nice job on one of the TD's rolling to his left, stopping to pivot and throw slightly across his body into the EZ.  Also had one or two nice throws to backs on rollouts, and a throw over the middle with LB a half step behind the receiver and a safety closing in...fairly small window and he got it in there.

Again, not to say one half validates saying I'd like the Jets to bring him in but not a bad day for a rookie in Seattle against the LOB. I'll watch some more of his games this week because why not?  It's a football fix.

Likely a moot point with Glennon being the only QB on the roster now, but just my .02

Okay, not to say or imply that one half of football is a good way to judge a QB, but I watched Glennon against Seattle yesterday as IMO it should show a lot about him as he was a rookie, on the road, in the toughest place to play in the NFL against the eventual SB champs.  I knew TB lost the game but had no idea how the game unfolded, only that Glennon ended up with a good stat line and I was pressed for time so only watched the first half.

First half stats were 11/12 124 yds 2 TD's 0 INT's and his one incomplete pass was a deep ball down the left sideline where you could make a case that the ref missed a PI call (Browner?)  He did a nice job on one of the TD's rolling to his left, stopping to pivot and throw slightly across his body into the EZ.  Also had one or two nice throws to backs on rollouts, and a throw over the middle with LB a half step behind the receiver and a safety closing in...fairly small window and he got it in there.

Again, not to say one half validates saying I'd like the Jets to bring him in but not a bad day for a rookie in Seattle against the LOB. I'll watch some more of his games this week because why not?  It's a football fix.

Likely a moot point with Glennon being the only QB on the roster now, but just my .02

Probably is a moot point...but yeah, thats an impressive stat line vs. Seattle.  Obviously, its one half, one game...but thats pretty encouraging.  

Curious, what did he do the 2nd half? 

The people who hate Glennon lose all credibility when they say stuff like that. They also look dumb when they say pass on Glennon for the likes of Jake Locker and Matt Moore.

Probably is a moot point...but yeah, thats an impressive stat line vs. Seattle.  Obviously, its one half, one game...but thats pretty encouraging.  

He couldn't have done much at all based on his final stat line but as I said, pressed for time I only watched the first half.  From this point on I'll probably just watch the condensed games, but I like the full broadcast version because you get a second and third look  at key moments w/ instant replay.  When condensed it feels like you're watching the game on fast forward.

Seattle had to have made some adjustments because I think he threw for 50ish yards in the second half with 0 TD's 0 INT's.

As we've both said though, encouraging numbers, FAR from telling the whole story and likely moot point.

Bowles love Matt Moore. Very good chance he's the Jets starting QB in 2015.

Dude, what is your fascination with Matt Moore and other mediocre QBs who play for Florida-based NFL teams?

The guy has had one 12-game stretch in his career where he performed slightly better than mediocre. He went 6-6. Chad Pennington once had a 12-game stretch that was spectacular by comparison and included a 41-0 win over Peyton Manning in the playoffs and you hated him. 

You're not a "grass is always greener" guy, you're a "holy **** the grass in Florida is awesome" guy. 

Dude, what is your fascination with Matt Moore and other mediocre QBs who play for Florida-based NFL teams?

The guy has had one 12-game stretch in his career where he performed slightly better than mediocre. He went 6-6. Chad Pennington once had a 12-game stretch that was spectacular by comparison and included a 41-0 win over Peyton Manning in the playoffs and you hated him.

You're not a "grass is always greener" guy, you're a "holy **** the grass in Florida is awesome" guy.

Matt Moore is a baller and will be leading your Jets this year. Get used to it.

I don't think W-L record is the statistic you want to use when discussing why Glennon would be a good pick up.

Probably is a moot point...but yeah, thats an impressive stat line vs. Seattle. Obviously, its one half, one game...but thats pretty encouraging.

I was in Seattle and watched the game on the local fox affiliate. Glennon played very well.

The bucs used a 3rd on Glennon and are about to draft a qb probably Winston. We can probably get Glennon for a 3rd in that scenario.

I don't think W-L record is the statistic you want to use when discussing why Glennon would be a good pick up.

First of all, lets get one thing straight - I don't think Mike Glennon would be a good pick up. 

Second of all, the post you were responding to was about how the notion of Matt Moore doesn't exactly get me excited, either. 

I wouldn't mind Matt Moore as a stopgap. I just want a ******* franchise quarterback already. 

I was in Seattle and watched the game on the local fox affiliate. Glennon played very well.

The bucs used a 3rd on Glennon and are about to draft a qb probably Winston. We can probably get Glennon for a 3rd in that scenario.

A third for Mike Glennon would be way too high a price. 

I wouldn't go higher than a 6th. 

First of all, lets get one thing straight - I don't think Mike Glennon would be a good pick up. 

Second of all, the post you were responding to was about how the notion of Matt Moore doesn't exactly get me excited, either. 

I wouldn't mind Matt Moore as a stopgap. I just want a ******* franchise quarterback already. 

**** a ******* franchise quarterback.  I am still waiting for the ******* stop gap.  A sh*thead like Moore or McCown with a plan is better than throwing guys with potential but no poise out there every year/week.

**** a ******* franchise quarterback. I am still waiting for the ******* stop gap. A sh*thead like Moore or McCown with a plan is better than throwing guys with potential but no poise out there every year/week.

Josh Mccown is friggin horrible. Obviously you haven't seen the guy play outside of sports center highlights from 2 years ago

I liked Glennon coming out of that draft. Strong arm, good ball placement. What impressed me the most was that he was willing (and able) to sit in the pocket, take a shot, and complete a pass. Unfortunately he's kind of a statue so that's the only way he's able to beat the blitz - but he did it well in college.

He's been alright in the NFL too. And he's young, should continue to develop. I think you can win with him, though at this point he's not going to win games on his own.

Mike Glennon looks like he has the tools to be a good QB, and Im talking beyond just the height and arm strength. Its cool that you're taking the time to watch his games. This is a guy who this year had a coach that came in with his hand-picked QB, a new offensive coordinator that fell ill during week 3 and a QB coach that ended up calling the offensive plays for a partially implemented system. Tampa's offensive line was ranked 26th in pass blocking and was the most penalized offensive line in the league ranking 32nd...and this was with trading for Logan Mankins. The bucs also ranked just out of the top 10 in dropped passes, which you'll see plenty of dropped passes from Glennons targets that hit them in the chest or both hands. 

Glennon is more than a stop gap guy imo. Bring Glennon in with a Jet team thats ranked 8th best in pass blocking along with the 3rd best rushing offense in terms of yards (we're terrible with rushing TD's), let him compete to earn the job and if he does continue to develop the talent. This guy is better than Geno or any Fitzpatrick, Mallet, Moore combination people are thinking of. 

I liked Glennon coming out of that draft. Strong arm, good ball placement. What impressed me the most was that he was willing (and able) to sit in the pocket, take a shot, and complete a pass. Unfortunately he's kind of a statue so that's the only way he's able to beat the blitz - but he did it well in college.

He's been alright in the NFL too. And he's young, should continue to develop. I think you can win with him, though at this point he's not going to win games on his own.

He shows that exactly in his games that I watched. The guy is a pocket passer, he always keeps his eyes down the field to complete a pass and I have not once seen him get flustered and have the pressure from the Dline impact his game. The guy seems to live in the pocket. 

In three years time people are going to be surprised by what he develops into if he's able to get out of Tampa and with a team that is genuinely interested in him and his success. 

Mike Glennon looks like he has the tools to be a good QB, and Im talking beyond just the height and arm strength. Its cool that you're taking the time to watch his games. This is a guy who this year had a coach that came in with his hand-picked QB, a new offensive coordinator that fell ill during week 3 and a QB coach that ended up calling the offensive plays for a partially implemented system. Tampa's offensive line was ranked 26th in pass blocking and was the most penalized offensive line in the league ranking 32nd...and this was with trading for Logan Mankins. The bucs also ranked just out of the top 10 in dropped passes, which you'll see plenty of dropped passes from Glennons targets that hit them in the chest or both hands. 

Glennon is more than a stop gap guy imo. Bring Glennon in with a Jet team thats ranked 8th best in pass blocking along with the 3rd best rushing offense in terms of yards (we're terrible with rushing TD's), let him compete to earn the job and if he does continue to develop the talent. This guy is better than Geno or any Fitzpatrick, Mallet, Moore combination people are thinking of. 

Absolutely agree...I actually started a Glennon article a few weeks ago but then saw several pop up around the same time that I bailed on it and that was after seeing him on a limited basis.  Going back to watch a few of his games now out of curiosity.

Archived