2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

WTF is wrong with Betances?

How do you go from one of the most dominant relief seasons ever to modern day Carlos Marmol in the course of six months?

It's scary as hell. It truly seems just mechanical. Hopefully he figures it out. Miller is coming in for the 5 out save.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• John Ryan Murphy had a really great game behind the plate. He went 1-for-3 and drew a walk to help set up the grand slam. Just a really great game for him including two runners caught stealing. “Just a tremendous job,” Girardi said. “He threw the ball extremely well. Throwing out Adam Jones in that situation was a huge out. Blocked, I don’t know, 10, 15 balls tonight.”

• Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-4, but he played a solid third base. He’s bounced around a lot the past few days, moving to different positions and different spots in the order. “Not strange,” Rodriguez said. “We have to whatever it takes to win. We have a good team. Joe needs me to move around a little bit, and that’s what I’m willing to do. Last week I took a lot of time early every day, bounced around between third base and first base. I’m excited to be playing every day.”

One week into the season, Rodriguez has been the Yankees best hitter, and so he was back in the lineup for their series opener against the Orioles. Even at 39 years old, even with two surgically repaired hips, and even after missing all of last season with a drug suspension, Rodriguez became the only Yankees player to start each of the first seven games this season.

• John Ryan Murphy had a really great game behind the plate. He went 1-for-3 and drew a walk to help set up the grand slam. Just a really great game for him including two runners caught stealing. “Just a tremendous job,” Girardi said. “He threw the ball extremely well. Throwing out Adam Jones in that situation was a huge out. Blocked, I don’t know, 10, 15 balls tonight.”

He was impressive yesterday both offensively and defensively

“He’s struggling, but I’m not worried about him. The concern I have is if he starts worrying about himself. He’s in a new city and he has to impress. There’s nothing much you can do for him except keep encouraging him and talking to him,” said the manager about his new player to Claire Smith, except that wasn’t Girardi talking about Gregorius. That was Joe Torre talking about Tino in 1996 and it applies to Gregorius today. The Yankees have to keep encouraging him and help him through this tough start. To change the way they feel about him or treat him after seven games, not matter how bad, would be a big mistake. As ugly as it has been, this is part of Didi’s development.

The last two days have been fun. Hopefully this offense stays alive. Although the chances of that seem slim. Drew's pinch hit grand slam last night was sweet though!

Jacoby Ellsbury CF

Chase Headley 3B

Carlos Beltran RF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Brian McCann C

Garrett Jones DH

Chris Young LF

Stephen Drew 2B

Didi Gregorius SS

LHP CC Sabathia

AROD gets his first day off, Gardner out with that wrist injury.

Tuesday, 5:01pm: Gardner may be available to pinch-run or play defense tonight, Joe Girardi told reporters. He is still sore and not available to hit. Girardi said he hopes Gardner will be able to return to the lineup Friday, following the off-day.

Valid points. Im just saying everyone questioned his health coming into the season, well so far he's healthy. He improved off his first start, lets hope he continues to improve. 

I wouldn't say he improved.  He was a hit away from being pulled again in the 4th inning.

Schilling commented that maybe he did not get enough work in spring training and his arm strength/fastball is still to come.

What I see is a guy who manages to get through the line-up the first pass by staying down in the zone but is afraid to elevate his pitches. The second time through the order the hitters seem to know what's coming as he refuses to pitch up in the zone. Sunday night his nasty splitters to the last two batters he faced saved his day but overall it was another mediocre outing at best.

Hope he bounces back as he was must see TV last season.  Who would have thought a year later both he and Bentances would be JAG's.

Bettances is a lanky-ass kid and I know it's hard to consistently repeat those mechanics for someone of his size, but I hope he gets his sh*t together soon. Another reason why what Mo did was so impressive, that consistency in the closer role is just unfathomable.

Mo's mechanics were so free and easy, I don't recall him ever having a mechanical issue once he was the closer.

I wouldn't say he improved. He was a hit away from being pulled again in the 4th inning.

Schilling commented that maybe he did not get enough work in spring training and his arm strength/fastball is still to come.

What I see is a guy who manages to get through the line-up the first pass by staying down in the zone but is afraid to elevate his pitches. The second time through the order the hitters seem to know what's coming as he refuses to pitch up in the zone. Sunday night his nasty splitters to the last two batters he faced saved his day but overall it was another mediocre outing at best.

Hope he bounces back as he was must see TV last season. Who would have thought a year later both he and Bentances would be JAG's.

Schilling could be right, or he might not. At this point we don't know. What's encouraging to me is that he's healthy. Many people had his arm blowing out by now. I think he'll figure it out as the season goes along.

Archived