Comparison Question

When I was growing up my father was a huge Giants fan (how I became a die-hard Jets fan I do not know) and I vividly remember him complaining about Phil Simms.

His first few years he sucked, got hurt, etc. and certainly wasn't making a case for being a Super Bowl winning QB.

When I compared the start to his career with the Giants and Geno's start with the Jets their won/loss record is very close.

For those of you that remember was the sentiment around Phil the same as it is around Geno?

Believe it or not but Geno has a better overall rating, better completion percentage but more INT's.

I know we live in a different world where QB's are ready much sooner than in the past.  That said, QB's used to be able to learn and grow.  Is there any chance Geno actually grows into an above average QB for this team?

Any chance this Jets era under Bowles could resemble Parcells' era under the Giants?  Tough minded coach.  Strong defense.  Improving QB play resulting in consistent winning?

Thanks for your input (those that remember the Simms days).  I vaguely do...

When I was growing up my father was a huge Giants fan (how I became a die-hard Jets fan I do not know) and I vividly remember him complaining about Phil Simms.

His first few years he sucked, got hurt, etc. and certainly wasn't making a case for being a Super Bowl winning QB.

When I compared the start to his career with the Giants and Geno's start with the Jets their won/loss record is very close.

For those of you that remember was the sentiment around Phil the same as it is around Geno?

Believe it or not but Geno has a better overall rating, better completion percentage but more INT's.

I know we live in a different world where QB's are ready much sooner than in the past.  That said, QB's used to be able to learn and grow.  Is there any chance Geno actually grows into an above average QB for this team?

Any chance this Jets era under Bowles could resemble Parcells' era under the Giants?  Tough minded coach.  Strong defense.  Improving QB play resulting in consistent winning?

Thanks for your input (those that remember the Simms days).  I vaguely do...

Hard to compare any QB from a past era to this one.  This is a time where it has never been easier for a QB to move the ball and score points.  Even with that, Geno has been terrible.

The big knock on Phil Simms was more like the big knock on Sam Bradford: he couldn't stay on the field. 

Simms also seemed shell shocked David Carr style.  He actually looked scared back there. Geno tends to look lost more than scared.  There are several big differences.  1. The era.  Guys just have an easier time passing now.  It is no shock that Geno's stats are better.  Everyone's stats are better.  2.  Geno came from a major college program despite the Air Raid, he was throwing much more in college and I am sure he had better coaching than Simms at Morehead State. 

Simms also was handled a bit differently and benched numerous times for Brunner and Hostetler.  I don't think Perkins or Parcells ever just said you are the man.  He wasn't the de facto starter every year like Geno.  A better analogy for Simms might be Milliner who seemed to be coming on but has been hurt.  Hopefully after the year off he will come back as strong as Simms did in '84.

Hard to compare any QB from a past era to this one.  This is a time where it has never been easier for a QB to move the ball and score points.  Even with that, Geno has been terrible.

That's absolutely not true.

Maybe Andrew Luck has no problem moving the ball in this new NFL.

The QBs easily moving the ball in this league have all been doing it for years & are veterans of the game. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, Eli (sometimes), where are all of these "young QBs" tearing up the league because it's so easy to play QB now?

Even Wilson benefits from handing off to the baddest RB in all the land & a defense that gets him the ball over & over in great field position with most of his big plays coming "outside of the pocket".

This is Genos last stand. They brought in the well respected Chan Gailey who's known to use offenses that mesh with the skills of his QB. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Oh boy... If Geno Smith goes 22/25 in a SB, I'll eat my hat. Wait, if he goes 22/25 during skeleton drills I'll eat my hat. I'm more inclined to compare Geno to Grady from Sanford and Son. But that's just me.

Geno has Bowles in his corner. Good for him. Good for us, too. We know he'll be given a fair shot before he fails miserably.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP, GENO!!!!!!!!! You are running out of time!!!!

That's absolutely not true.

Maybe Andrew Luck has no problem moving the ball in this new NFL.

The QBs easily moving the ball in this league have all been doing it for years & are veterans of the game. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, Eli (sometimes), where are all of these "young QBs" tearing up the league because it's so easy to play QB now?

Even Wilson benefits from handing off to the baddest RB in all the land & a defense that gets him the ball over & over in great field position with most of his big plays coming "outside of the pocket".

This is Genos last stand. They brought in the well respected Chan Gailey who's known to use offenses that mesh with the skills of his QB. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Right....numbers today vs the numbers being put up in Simms' era are nearly identical and Geno has been awesome.  Crazy how far off base I am.

What I'm saying is regardless of the era or past coaching or program they came from for the first couple years of his career Phil Simms was not good.  Geno has not been good.

Maybe I should ask the question this way:  Can anyone name a current QB that started off like Geno that actually developed into a good to above average QB?

If he played under today's rules Phil Simms would be a solid, but not elite, QB.  i.e. - Matt Ryan, Phil Rivers, etc.

Off topic but I still think Ryan is elite...just a great player on some very bad teams.

What I'm saying is regardless of the era or past coaching or program they came from for the first couple years of his career Phil Simms was not good.  Geno has not been good.

Maybe I should ask the question this way:  Can anyone name a current QB that started off like Geno that actually developed into a good to above average QB?

You realize there is a wide gap between "not good" and "on of the worst in the NFL", right?

It could happen, teams have won super bowls with less than great qbs before.

The whole key is turnovers, even more important for me than the difference between a 57% and 60% passer.  I do not think Geno will eve be a 'we will win because of' QB.  There is an outside chance that he will become a 'we won because the QB did not lose it for us' qb.

Archived