Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle ~ ~ ~

kelly

Milliner is terrible. Incredibly bad 1st round pick. The sooner they give up the ghost on him, the better. I like the little I saw of McDougal. But he has now been injured in college and already in the pros. If he can recover and stay healthy, big ifs, he may be worth holding on to.

you saw mcdougle make a play or 2 in a pre season game against other scrubs, and suddenly an over drafted, injury prone corner is worth hanging onto, but a top 10 pick, injury prone player, coming off of defensive player of the month status, needs to be cut?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we can all thank our lucky stars that you are not a jets talent scout. you couldnt be more wrong about milliner if you tried again. milliner is a physical freak at the corner position. like most rookie corners, he struggled early on. he started to adjust to the speed of the game as the last quarter of the season ended. the only thing holding milliner back from being a really good man corner, is his inability to stay healthy. and lol at you willing to bet that mcdougle will be much better than milliner over 1 quarter of a pre season game, in which he had a decent play or 2. I would stick to your day job if I was you. evaluating corner talent doesn't seem to be your cup of tea.

Did you just say milliner is a physical freak at the corner position? C'mon now. Milliner is a wheel route waiting to happen!!

Physical freak..bwahahaha!!!

Did you just say milliner is a physical freak at the corner position? C'mon now. Milliner is a wheel route waiting to happen!!

Physical freak..bwahahaha!!!

yes. you see a kid who srtuggled as a rookie. I see a kid with superior physical gifts who needs to adjust to the pro level and stay healthy.its been awhile since I have seen a corner with milliners hip movement. imo, milliner takes over cromarties job before game 8 this year if he can stay healthy. however, his injury history might not let that happen

yes. you see a kid who srtuggled as a rookie. I see a kid with superior physical gifts who needs to adjust to the pro level and stay healthy.its been awhile since I have seen a corner with milliners hip movement. imo, milliner takes over cromarties job before game 8 this year if he can stay healthy. however, his injury history might not let that happen

Yeah..great hips...he can do back-pedal drills. I hope he stays healthy so we can watch his awesome hips as WRS continue untouched right by him for 70 yds like they have in the past.

A physical freak with the best hips you've seen in a very long time. Got it.

I know what I saw when healthy...he sucks. Mcdougle will end up the better DB.

You may be right, he might become a better player. Nothing in his past days that he will though. And it has nothing to do with what you actually saw on the field, any field, anywhere.

Milliner started off struggling and finished strong after the Reed pick up.

McDougle hasn't played a half of a preseason game and struggled badly in his second appearance before getting a season ending injury.

You're imagining what you saw, no one saw him in a NFL game. But guaranteed you'll continue to argue that you saw good play, better play out of McDougle. And make over the top claims that Milliner is a huge bust.

You may be right, he might become a better player. Nothing in his past days that he will though. And it has nothing to do with what you actually saw on the field, any field, anywhere.

Milliner started off struggling and finished strong after the Reed pick up.

McDougle hasn't played a half of a preseason game and struggled badly in his second appearance before getting a season ending injury.

You're imagining what you saw, no one saw him in a NFL game. But guaranteed you'll continue to argue that you saw good play, better play out of McDougle. And make over the top claims that Milliner is a huge bust.

Never did I say I saw mcdougle make plays..I just said hell be a better DB than milliner. Milliner is a bust. That's not even close to over the top.

All the milliner apologists have to say is the "he finished strong." And one guy even used the "he has great hips" argument..ha!! He made plays in one or two games that didnt count.

Please stop with the milliner love ..he's not gonna be a jet for long..enjoy his great hips while you can.. Try florham park in August if you want to see him and his awesome hips in action. . Make sure you get good seats right next to the stationary bikes.

Yeah..great hips...he can do back-pedal drills. I hope he stays healthy so we can watch his awesome hips as WRS continue untouched right by him for 70 yds like they have in the past.

A physical freak with the best hips you've seen in a very long time. Got it.

I guess we'll see this up coming season

Never did I say I saw mcdougle make plays..I just said hell be a better DB than milliner. Milliner is a bust. That's not even close to over the top.

All the milliner apologists have to say is the "he finished strong." And one guy even used the "he has great hips" argument..ha!! He made plays in one or two games that didnt count.

Please stop with the milliner love ..he's not gonna be a jet for long..enjoy his great hips while you can.. Try florham park in August if you want to see him and his awesome hips in action. . Make sure you get good seats right next to the stationary bikes.

You said you know what you've seen. So now you're telling us you know a guy you've never seen play will be better.

You are the definition of over the top. I'll take a guess that you're an instant gratification kid who doesn't get that talent needs to develop at this level.

I don't remember writing it that way but, yeah, that just about covers how I feel about the physical freak milliner.

like I said, we will see this season. you have seen enough of milliner to know he stinks. I have seen enough of milliner to think he can be a really good corner. only time will tell

-- Dexter McDougle took a few speedy steps toward making good on a promise he made to himself - and New York Jets fans - nearly a year ago.The cornerback was back on the practice field this week, showing no effects of a knee injury that ended his rookie season during training camp last summer.

''I'm blessed to be out there getting reps again,'' McDougle said after practice Wednesday. ''I got the heads up a couple of days ago, and they're going to let me get in the mix. I'm just happy to be out there.''

McDougle was a third-round draft pick out of Maryland last year and expected to play a major role for the Jets - either as a starter at cornerback or as a key backup. Three days after making his NFL debut in the Jets' preseason opener against Indianapolis, McDougle was participating in a 1-on-1 drill on Aug. 10 with wide receiver Stephen Hill when he went down in a heap after getting a cleat caught in the grass.He tore off his helmet, stayed on his back and knew his season was likely over with what was later diagnosed a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

A few hours later, McDougle took to Twitter to thank friends and fans for their support, and then declared :

''This is a tough blow but I promise, I will be back better than ever.''

So far, so good.

New York Jets' Dexter McDougle participates in an NFL football organized team activity, Wednesda …

McDougle was running around at full-speed during organized team activities and even stayed step-for-step at one point with wide receiver Saalim Hakim - arguably the fastest player on the Jets.''I was just in the trainer's room and I finished up and they said, 'Yeah, we saw you running with Saalim,''' McDougle said with a big smile. ''I made a joke like, 'Yeah, he's kind of slow.' I was just joking, though, but I trust my speed right now with all the work I've been doing.''It has been a rough two-year stretch for McDougle, who missed nearly all of his senior season at Maryland with a shoulder injury. He impressed Terrapins coach Randy Edsall so much with how dedicated he remained to his teammates while recovering that the Dexter McDougle Ultimate Team Player Award was created in his honor.

His leadership and on-field abilities made him an attractive pick for the Jets. During training camp, McDougle impressed then-coach Rex Ryan to the point he was taking snaps with the starting defense at times.McDougle teared up when he stepped on the field at MetLife Stadium for the preseason opener, thinking back at how many hours of rehabilitation he put in to get there. A few days later, he was dealing with the harsh reality that he had to do it all over again.''Just watching from the sideline and knowing that you probably could've contributed a lot, it (stinks),'' McDougle said. ''Being out there and having to watch and being limited, and knowing you could be out there making a difference, you've got to be mentally tough and trust the process.''

The Virginia native likely would have gotten a chance for significant playing time. Projected starter Dee Milliner was lost for the season after tearing an Achilles in Week 6 of the regular season. Dimitri Patterson, another projected starter, was cut before the season after he left the team without contacting the organization. The Jets were forced to us several players at cornerback, including Marcus Williams, Darrin Walls, Phillip Adams and converted safety Antonio Allen, trying to find consistent starters in the bunch.

New general manager Mike Maccagnan has aggressively addressed that weakness in the offseason, bringing back both Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie as free agents, and signing Buster Skrine for new coach Todd Bowles' defense. With those three expected to get the bulk of playing time, McDougle knows his role might not be as significant to start off.But at least he's healthy again - and ready to play.''It's cool, man,'' McDougle said. ''Revis and Cromartie are good to learn from. I'm in (Revis') ear all the time, and Cro as well. They're two of the best. I'm a younger guy and they take me under their wing and go from there. It's good to have guys you can look up to and learn from.''I'm going to contribute to this team however they ask me to.''

> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jets-mcdougle-returns-field-missing-last-season-063221274--nfl.html

I guess we'll see this up coming season

I agree with you that Milliner has outstanding physical skills, but I wouldn't put to much stock in him having a break out season this year.  

An Achilles injury is one of the most devastating a skill position player can receive.  Has ended many careers.    if he is going to recover 100%, we probably won't see it until next season.

Kid could be very good, but this injury is VERY concerning

I agree with you that Milliner has outstanding physical skills, but I wouldn't put to much stock in him having a break out season this year.  

An Achilles injury is one of the most devastating a skill position player can receive.  Has ended many careers.    if he is going to recover 100%, we probably won't see it until next season.

it may be NEXT season that we actually see what milliner can do..

cheers ~ ~

:character0181:

how many college games did he miss ?  from what I see he had 1 injury

Milliner didn't miss many games in college, but had 4 surgeries between seasons.  He had a knee, hernia, fracture in his tibia, and both shoulders operated on.  

I agree, the Achilles could essentially end his career. my point to the other poster was that if he never makes it in the nfl, it wont be because of his skill set. it would be because of injury. a healthy milliner takes cromarties job, easily. well,maybe not easily

Milliner didn't miss many games in college, but had 4 surgeries between seasons. He had a knee, hernia, fracture in his tibia, and both shoulders operated on.

Dee Milliner has had five surgeries

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT

[https://nbcprofootballtalk]AP

Whether there are legitimate concerns about Dee Milliner’s ability to stay healthy or whether it’s all part of a smear campaign, the health of the former Alabama cornerback is one of the major topics of conversation in the final days before the NFL draft.

So with everyone buzzing about Milliner’s medical status, Adam Schefter of ESPN offers this note: Milliner has undergone a total of five surgeries: a right knee scope, a repair of a sports hernia, a procedure for a right tibia stress fracture and one surgery on each shoulder.

Milliner is still rehabbing after his most recent shoulder surgery, and he might not be ready for the start of training camp. So it’s easy to see why there are medical questions about him.

But it’s also important to remember this: In his three seasons at Alabama, Milliner missed exactly one game, and in that game (a blowout win over Western Kentucky), coach Nick Saban said Milliner had a minor hip injury and could have played if the team needed him. So while Milliner’s medical history may raise a few eyebrows, his football history says he can get on the field when his team needs him.

Besides the injuries he played through. I think he had an injury during the combine.

Aside from the injuries....he sucks when healthy. He was yards away from almost every completion to his man quite often. Too often.

He is not a pro CB. The Achilles was just the nail in the coffin. I feel bad for the kid but it is what it is. He is not a near-term or long-term answer at the position.

Mcdougle is on the field and ready to go. He has to leave his injury history is the past, too, but hell be a contributor before milliner.

Milliner didn't miss many games in college, but had 4 surgeries between seasons.  He had a knee, hernia, fracture in his tibia, and both shoulders operated on.  

schlereth had like 12 surgeries. 

his talent is so insane he's worth keeping for the length of his rookie deal.  if the kid can give you just 12 games a year at what he is getting paid it would make the jets secondary ridonkulous

yes. this is the requirement to become defensive player of the month in the nfl. you must be yards away from the receiver at all times or you don not qualify

Well, apparently not because milliner received the award...must've been that garbage-time month when he jumped a bunch of routes...Ha....

lets just agree to disagree...and one of us can say, "I told you so." at some point in the not too distant future.

schlereth had like 12 surgeries. 

his talent is so insane he's worth keeping for the length of his rookie deal.  if the kid can give you just 12 games a year at what he is getting paid it would make the jets secondary ridonkulous

Kind of agree.  He's here now.  

Let's see if he can shake this injury thing, and talk again next year

Milliner and McDougle both deserve to be on this team till unless they absolutely stink up the joint.

Who said they deserve to be here? How? McDougle might be a very good corner, but it seems like he's made of glass. I'm doubting that he could go four games without a season ending injury. I hope not, but nevertheless, if the Jets cut him because he is perennially injured, I'd totally understand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDkYZWeeVg

yes. this is the requirement to become defensive player of the month in the nfl. you must be yards away from the receiver at all times or you don not qualify

I was thinking the same thing.

Milliner was drafted to replace Revis....ouch! Talk about pressure.

Milliner was burned a few times but you could see his natural athleticism start to show as he got more games under his belt.

The Achilles might just push him into a hybrid role under Bowles if he can get on the field this year.

Be nice to see him as a free safety, sometimes injuries change a players entire position.

A lot easier to play & react quickly when your seeing the whole field in front of you.

The guy has skills, you don't fluke into DPOTM in the NFL.

One week maybe like Jarrett last year vs the Steelers.

Bowles is supposed to be pretty creative with his secondary. Let's hope he can find a use for him if he makes it all the way back.

Does anyone know any history on CBs coming back from an Achilles injury?

typically, not good. but modern medicine and all, ya never know. milliners skillset is there but his durability is not

I think his skill set & even size is similar to McCourty in New England.

BB turned him into a pro bowl FS.

Who said they deserve to be here? How? McDougle might be a very good corner, but it seems like he's made of glass. I'm doubting that he could go four games without a season ending injury. I hope not, but nevertheless, if the Jets cut him because he is perennially injured, I'd totally understand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDkYZWeeVg

Define the point of "perennially".  Or made of glass.

He's had one injury in the NFL.  The same one that Revis had, should he be tossed aside too?

typically, not good. but modern medicine and all, ya never know. milliners skillset is there but his durability is not

How many CBs or who are the ones who have had it?  That came back or never did?

who is a bigger bust? Gholston or D Robertson??

Why does he Dewayne always get left out of bust conversations and poor Vernon get highlighted?

I'm with you. Never understood why Robertson isn't considered the premier bust in franchise history. We traded up to nab the first defensive player in the draft and then ... nothing. NFL-grade bust, he was.

Before we get too caught up in agonizing over busts, just think about Sheldon Richardson and smile - he's as big a pick as these guys were busts.  

Pretty sure he won defensive rookie of the month, but yeah, his play in the last month of his rookie season was certainly encouraging. The ruptured achilles, however, is not.

I think his skill set & even size is similar to McCourty in New England.

BB turned him into a pro bowl FS.

There are a lot of CBs on the roster. If they can get use out of Milliner at the FS position rather than on the corner, I'd certainly be fine with that.

I'm with you. Never understood why Robertson isn't considered the premier bust in franchise history. We traded up to nab the first defensive player in the draft and then ... nothing. NFL-grade bust, he was.

Before we get too caught up in agonizing over busts, just think about Sheldon Richardson and smile - he's as big a pick as these guys were busts.

The Robertson move was definitely not one of the team's shining moments, but he was lightyears from being the bust that Vernon Gholston was. Robertson was a six year starter in the NFL, Gholston started a total of five games in three years. Robertson had as many starts in his rookie season as Gholston had solo tackles in his entire career. It's just not even remotely close.

The Robertson move was definitely not one of the team's shining moments, but he was lightyears from being the bust that Vernon Gholston was. Robertson was a six year starter in the NFL, Gholston started a total of five games in three years. Robertson had as many starts in his rookie season as Gholston had solo tackles in his entire career. It's just not even remotely close.

Robertson wasnt worth the 4th pick but he was productive at times, he did have 16 sacks and 278 tackles over his career.  

also, 4 of gholstons 5 starts were due to pace being suspended

Archived