Five Reasons to Believe in Geno Smith

JetNation

I hate when people cite the QB rating and other things.  The QB rating is (supposed to be) everything together.

Right, it's a package deal.  So the 77.5 is definitely an improvement over 66.5, plain and simple.  But for where we attribute it there is definitely room for disagreement.  Just because his numbers improved a bit doesn't mean he as a QB was all that much better, for the reasons I already stated. 

Many Geno supporters (not necessarily you) argue that he didn't have enough weapons in 2013.  OK, fine, but one who chooses to make that argument can't simply ignore our upgrades at all of the receiving spots, as well as the fact that Kerley (Geno's favorite weapon in 2013 but not healthy for much of the year) played a full season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he played the full 16, he would have been projected to probably have 16 or 17 INT's.  Making the difference of 4 or 5 INT's between 2013 and 2014 relatively meaningless too.

He also had 8 fumbles in 2014, same as 2013, in about 3 games' less snaps.

Geno even managed to throw an interception when they ran the ball 49 times in one game. That's how awful he is and how little the Jets trusted him then, and there is no reason to trust him now.

Geno even managed to throw an interception when they ran the ball 49 times in one game. That's how awful he is and how little the Jets trusted him then, and there is no reason to trust him now.

Yep.  The turnovers would be acceptable if he had some games here and there where he threw for 4 TD's.  But he doesn't have that kind of upside.  He's a less accurate Teddy Bridgewater, with significantly more turnovers.

Right, it's a package deal.  So the 77.5 is definitely an improvement over 66.5, plain and simple.  But for where we attribute it there is definitely room for disagreement.  Just because his numbers improved a bit doesn't mean he as a QB was all that much better, for the reasons I already stated. 

Many Geno supporters (not necessarily you) argue that he didn't have enough weapons in 2013.  OK, fine, but one who chooses to make that argument can't simply ignore our upgrades at all of the receiving spots, as well as the fact that Kerley (Geno's favorite weapon in 2013 but not healthy for much of the year) played a full season.

That 77.5 passer rating is significant for one other thing. Its only 2 points below your new favorite quarterback's career passer rating. :Nuts:

So in other words, had Fitzpatrick not had the best year of his career by a wide margin last year, his career passer rating would be worse than what Geno did in his second season. 

Just for sh*ts and giggles I looked up Fitz's passer rating his second year with any significant starting time (which was actually his fifth year in the league at the age of 27) and he could only muster a 69.7 rating. Good thing he sat and learned for three years, huh?

Just for sh*ts and giggles I looked up Fitz's passer rating his second year with any significant starting time (which was actually his fifth year in the league at the age of 27) and he could only muster a 69.7 rating. Good thing he sat and learned for three years, huh?

Meh.  Sitting and waiting for a QB to reach average at best is not ideal.  Even I've admitted Fitzpatrick is not a solution beyond this year.  Nor is Geno.  Our 2016 QB is not on the roster, unless Bryce Petty emerges.

Meh.  Sitting and waiting for a QB to reach average at best is not ideal.  Even I've admitted Fitzpatrick is not a solution beyond this year.  Nor is Geno.  Our 2016 QB is not on the roster, unless Bryce Petty emerges.

Stop being reasonable! 

Say something outlandish and irrational! 

Probably cause I am not particularly a Geno supporter.  10 points is a fairly significant improvement, but he still wasn't good or we wouldn't be wondering if he'd start over Fitzpatrick. 

Funny thing about the weapons argument.  Geno does seem very weapons dependent.  In the games where Decker was healthy he looked pretty good, though that may be more a factor of we think Decker is healthy because he had a good game.  Marshall could be a big factor.  He is the kind of guy that can make the QB look better and Kerley and Smith should both be able to do some damage as #3.  Kerley is a nice player, but he falls short as a #2.  I am interested in seeing Gailey's offense, but preseason will probably be a disappointment (super vanilla)

Probably cause I am not particularly a Geno supporter.  10 points is a fairly significant improvement, but he still wasn't good or we wouldn't be wondering if he'd start over Fitzpatrick. 

Funny thing about the weapons argument.  Geno does seem very weapons dependent.  In the games where Decker was healthy he looked pretty good, though that may be more a factor of we think Decker is healthy because he had a good game.  Marshall could be a big factor.  He is the kind of guy that can make the QB look better and Kerley and Smith should both be able to do some damage as #3.  Kerley is a nice player, but he falls short as a #2.  I am interested in seeing Gailey's offense, but preseason will probably be a disappointment (super vanilla)

Yep.  It's the mark of an inexperienced or bad QB to lock in on favorite targets.  Gailey's system will indeed be interesting but no system can help inaccuracy and slow processing.

Odd how it feels like we have had around 900 threads about how Geno should be the starter this year and not a single one about how Fitzpatrick should be the starter this year.

Because we know more or less what we'll get out of Fitz.  He played 3 years in Chan Gailey's system and has pretty consistently been the same QB ever since 2010 or so.  Meanwhile, there is a wide variety of viewpoints on what Geno will do next season. 

Because we know more or less what we'll get out of Fitz.  He played 3 years in Chan Gailey's system and has pretty consistently been the same QB ever since 2010 or so.  Meanwhile, there is a wide variety of viewpoints on what Geno will do next season. 

A mediocre QB who throws way too many picks yet some people insist on overrating because he went to Harvard. 

Everyone knows I think Geno sucks but Marshall is the exact type of player that will help Geno. Huge catch radius and 50/50 ball skills. That's the kind of receiver that can really bail a QB out.

A mediocre QB who throws way too many picks yet some people insist on overrating because he went to Harvard. 

It's pretty hard to overrate a guy we got for a 7th round pick, no?  My tongue in cheek conquering hero stuff aside, no one here thinks he's a savior.

It's pretty hard to overrate a guy we got for a 7th round pick, no?  My tongue in cheek conquering hero stuff aside, no one here thinks he's a savior.

I don't even think it was a 7th.  I think it was a conditional in 2016.

OH and there is somebody in this forum claiming he was the consensus top free agent QB available.

I don't even think it was a 7th.  I think it was a conditional in 2016.

OH and there is somebody in this forum claiming he was the consensus top free agent QB available.

Even if true that's not saying much.  Teams don't just cut loose good QB's.

But why would you rather see that than a guy who potentially can be much, much better?

Because I really don't think he can or will be much, much better.  As low as Fitz's ceiling is, I don't see Geno's being much higher, if at all.  And Geno's floor is much lower.  As in, he costs us games basically on his own.  For a team that just brought in a ton of new talent, that's not the best choice.

Because I really don't think he can or will be much, much better.  As low as Fitz's ceiling is, I don't see Geno's being much higher, if at all.  And Geno's floor is much lower.  As in, he costs us games basically on his own.  For a team that just brought in a ton of new talent, that's not the best choice.

I disagree. Geno's been significantly more impressive at times in the last two years than Fitz has been at any point in his life. 

I think their floor is the same. Remember, Fitz got that big contract four games into the 2010 season in Buffalo and then went on to lead the league in interceptions for the year. That was with Chan Gailey as his OC. 

Geno's ceiling is about 50 stories higher than the a 32-year-old never was. 

I'm not saying its gonna happen. But as long as the potential is there you gotta roll the dice. 

You think the Conquering Hero belongs on the bench?

To be clear I think the answer for the Jets is a resounding "none of the above" but between the two of them I think Smith has a much lower and far more probable downside.

Tebow is a natural born leader.  Smith is a natural born loser. 

Tebow will go the extra mile.  Smith is an undisciplined prima donna.

Tebow has exceeded his God given talents. Smith has squandered his. 

Tebow is a philanthropist.  Smith is stealing Woody's money.

Tebow is a marketing machine for the NFL.  Have you ever seen anyone wear a #7 Smith jersey other than himself.   

Tebow can tell time. Smith can't.

Tebow is loved by his teammates. Smith is called out by his.

Tebow has earned his place in the NFL.  Smith feels its due to him. 

Tebow is well respected in outside circles.  Smith gets thrown off of planes.

Tebow is America's #1 bachelor.  Smith sends pee wee pics over the internet.

Tebow's desire to win is unparalleled.  Smith is a pouter, a whiner and a wannabe pro bowler. 

Tebow has humility.  Smith has humiliation. 

Tebow has courage and fire. Smith has deep seated fear and lacks any real spark.         

Tebow's tebowing TD salute is way cooler than Smith's lame azz bow.      

Tebow is objectively and qualitatively a better QB than Geno Smith. This isn't even a debate.

Tebow is objectively and qualitatively a better QB than Geno Smith. This isn't even a debate.

Tebow is the only QB That Geno Smith is better than.  Smith Sucks, Tebow REALLY sucks.  I have no idea what youve been watching.

Fitz is our guy for the next 2 years.  write it down, ya heard it hear 1st

I believe that game threw me over the ledge. Almost positive it was that one.

As a Jet fan for 50 years, and a season ticket holder going into year 36, I've learned one thing. We are way, way beyond a savior!  :winking0001:

Archived