TOP 64 QUARTERBACKS IN NFL HISTORY

jeaniec

He's my #2 that a saw play.  He got teams to the SB that had no business being in that game.

Yeah, the way I try to see it is, if I started a brand new franchise today and I could pick one QB (all things relative) in his prime, to lead that franchise for the next 10-15 years, I'm taking Elway.

Peyton and Marino are probably #2 and #3. 

Rodgers will be #1 when it's all said and done. His single-season records are already better than any thing Manning has put up, and he hasn't even finished his prime. Not to mention he already has a ring and is well-positioned to win another some time in the next 2-3 years.

Len Dawson and Bob Griese were AFL/AFC contemporaries of Joe Namath. Very good QBs and fine men. They would both laugh hysterically if they were told they were better than Joe Namath. Or better than John Hadl for that matter.

Bob Griese is the most over rated QB ever.

Dolphins perfect season... led mainly by Earl Morrall.  I mean, when you have the #1 running game, a HOPF wide receiver, a great O Line, how hard is it to complete 55% of your passes for almost 140 yards a game?   I know the game was different, but come on, he did nothing.

Yeah, the way I try to see it is, if I started a brand new franchise today and I could pick one QB (all things relative) in his prime, to lead that franchise for the next 10-15 years, I'm taking Elway.

Peyton and Marino are probably #2 and #3. 

Exactly.   Elway was amazing.  Great a everything, the arm strength, accurate, scramble.

I just like Joe a bit more.

John Hadl was da bomb. I was a HUGE Ram fan in the 70's and Hadl was just incredible. 

One of my earliest footballl memories was watching the Charges play at 4:00 every Sunday afternoon. For some reason, the afternoon NFL game that was shown in New York was the San Diego Chargers. Can't figure out why.  Anyway, Hadl was amazing, throwing to Lance Alworth... to this day I remember Dickie Post is number 22. Why is that so etched in my memory?  Chargers must have had a terrible defense, because they never won anything, (I guess Raiders and Chiefs were too good) but the offense was da bomb.

Mad Grogan didn't make the cut?

A little.  ;)

I loved Bledsoe as he was the first real QB the Patriots had during my lifetime, but he does not deserve a mention on any top list of QBs.  Ditto Culpepper, McNair, Gannon, Favre at 6, Rodgers behind Rapesberger and Favre or Hasselbeck. 

Bob Griese is the most over rated QB ever.

Dolphins perfect season... led mainly by Earl Morrall.  I mean, when you have the #1 running game, a HOPF wide receiver, a great O Line, how hard is it to complete 55% of your passes for almost 140 yards a game?   I know the game was different, but come on, he did nothing.

Much the same could be said of Bradshaw. No knock on either, but it's not like their teams were remotely dependent on them. 

Simply if Unitas or Namath played under 2015 rules they would throw for 5000 yards every season. 

Exactly.   Elway was amazing.  Great a everything, the arm strength, accurate, scramble.

I just like Joe a bit more.

Montana? Can't go wrong there. I just think guys like Montana, Young , Bradshaw Aikman, Brady etc would have been great regardless of surrounding elements but that they had an advantage (unfair or not) of being on the right organizations at the right time with the right coaches and players etc. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that's all it was, they'd be on the list regardless however I think they might not be as high, per se. 

It can argued to death but guess that's why it's fun too. 

Another guy for example is Warren Moon, who's pretty high up there, but seriously put Warren Moon on a team like the 49ers and he's in the top 5 imo. Just an example.

Like, no way Kurt Warner was better than Warren Moon, but he had more success so you have to abide I guess, I get it. Just think Warner was fortunate to be on better teams...as an example

Much the same could be said of Bradshaw. No knock on either, but it's not like their teams were remotely dependent on them. 

Simply if Unitas or Namath played under 2015 rules they would throw for 5000 yards every season. 

Bradshaw won the SB MVP on the second two.  Bradshaw also got crushed throwing the game winning TD for their 2nd ring.

The first one, he was there, and didn't make any mistakes.  He also did more than go 8-11 or 6-7 in either SB wins.

Montana? Can't go wrong there. I just think guys like Montana, Young , Bradshaw Aikman, Brady etc would have been great regardless of surrounding elements but that they had an advantage (unfair or not) of being on the right organizations at the right time with the right coaches and players etc. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that's all it was, they'd be on the list regardless however I think they might not be as high, per se. 

It can argued to death but guess that's why it's fun too. 

Another guy for example is Warren Moon, who's pretty high up there, but seriously put Warren Moon on a team like the 49ers and he's in the top 5 imo. Just an example.

Like, no way Kurt Warner was better than Warren Moon, but he had more success so you have to abide I guess, I get it. Just think Warner was fortunate to be on better teams...as an example

Well, Young was a lot better with great coaching in SF than he was in Tampa.

The cast always helps, being in a system that caters to your strengths helps.  Montana was super smart, amazing feet, super accurate, ideal for Bill Walsh.  He could go down field, but would not have been as good a fit as Warner in the Greatest Show on Turf. 

Moon was real good, he was helped by being in the run and shoot, but he never had any real playoff success, which hurts.  Still a HOF caliber player, and worthy of being in.

Well, Young was a lot better with great coaching in SF than he was in Tampa.

The cast always helps, being in a system that caters to your strengths helps. Montana was super smart, amazing feet, super accurate, ideal for Bill Walsh. He could go down field, but would not have been as good a fit as Warner in the Greatest Show on Turf.

Moon was real good, he was helped by being in the run and shoot, but he never had any real playoff success, which hurts. Still a HOF caliber player, and worthy of being in.

Yep! All or most players on that list are worthy. It gets freaky after 50 but...I think a lot of times the difference between the 1-10 guys vs a 25-40 guy was the elements surrounding them is all. Sometimes...not all the time. No way of ever knowing except your own internal pie chart of strengths and weaknesses in your own subjective head I suppose.

Fun to debate the unknown though. Sometimes...

Archived