The Wide Receiver Depth Competition

Maxman

First of all last year is irrelevant as we have a brand new regime plus have a lot more talented players at a number of positions (cornerback, running back, defensive line, to name two.) that will impact how many receivers we ultimately decide to keep.   

Also my question was not about who was "practice squad eligible" but who had the greatest chance of being CLAIMED on waivers by another team.   

Listen, I am not looking for an argument, just stating my opinion. I figure that between the practice squad and the final 53 man  8 WRs will be a part of the Jets team.  The 8 I listed, and I didn't think I had to spell that out . Again, sorry.

Listen, I am not looking for an argument, just stating my opinion. I figure that between the practice squad and the final 53 man  8 WRs will be a part of the Jets team.  The 8 I listed, and I didn't think I had to spell that out . Again, sorry.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as argumentative either.  The thread was about players making the active roster so that was what I was focused on.  

I really hope the bold isn't true, and I don't think it is. It's not like they traded a lot for him. Maccagnan brought in talent, but now it should be up to the coaching staff to whittle it down to the 53 players they want. I want these guys on the same page -obviously- but I want them on the same page trying to field the best team possible. The GM pushing bottom of the roster guys on the head coach isn't the way to get there.

I agree with you totally.  If it is all about competition, Posey has to earn his spot.  I just get the feeling that if it's close, he may win out by virtue of Mac's familarity with him. 

Yep.  Question for you; who do you think we can stash on the PS with the least chance of being claimed by another team?  

Not being ornery or even directing this at you personally, but honestly who cares?  It's interesting to me that there's so much concern about not losing guys like Enunwa or Owusu or Powell or whoever it is that isn't good enough to be the 6th receiver on our team.  Pretty much every team in the NFL is going to cut their version of our guys, and their guys are probably just as talented (or untalented, depending on your perspective).  I think it rubs me the wrong way a bit because we're so quick to just toss away guys we drafted higher (cough cough Geno) and have so much more invested into, yet for some reason the sky is falling if we lose a guy that 99.9% chance is not good enough to play in the NFL.  I guess it just feels like the energy and demand to keep these fringe guys is so much stronger than the energy to support the guys we actually have an investment in. 

I think so too and that is why I hope he makes the team....

I want him to make the team because he's good. If he's not good, I really don't care if he gets picked up by someone else.

I'm interested to see how Maccagnan and Bowles handle the mini-draft. I think it's very possible that their 5th or 6th WR isn't on the roster yet. I expect them to be watching other teams' cuts very closely, with a potential punt returner high on the wish list. Right now, that's a glaring hole.

I don't think they're thinking the way you are, with an understudy for each of the top four guys. They're going to want the best receivers regardless of size or speed, and they're going to be looking for special teams help.

I agree with you totally.  If it is all about competition, Posey has to earn his spot.  I just get the feeling that if it's close, he may win out by virtue of Mac's familarity with him. 

I think if it's close Posey will get the nod because his ceiling is higher and he was a much more valued prospect prior to his injury. 

Not being ornery or even directing this at you personally, but honestly who cares?  It's interesting to me that there's so much concern about not losing guys like Enunwa or Owusu or Powell or whoever it is that isn't good enough to be the 6th receiver on our team.  Pretty much every team in the NFL is going to cut their version of our guys, and their guys are probably just as talented (or untalented, depending on your perspective).  I think it rubs me the wrong way a bit because we're so quick to just toss away guys we drafted higher (cough cough Geno) and have so much more invested into, yet for some reason the sky is falling if we lose a guy that 99.9% chance is not good enough to play in the NFL.  I guess it just feels like the energy and demand to keep these fringe guys is so much stronger than the energy to support the guys we actually have an investment in. 

Well obviously I do, that it is why I asked, lol.   I asked the the question because I think Shaq Evans would not last very long if we put him on the PS and I think he has a nice upside but may not make the roster because of the numbers. It is not life or death; but he was a 4th round pick.    

I want him to make the team because he's good. If he's not good, I really don't care if he gets picked up by someone else.

I'm interested to see how Maccagnan and Bowles handle the mini-draft. I think it's very possible that their 5th or 6th WR isn't on the roster yet. I expect them to be watching other teams' cuts very closely, with a potential punt returner high on the wish list. Right now, that's a glaring hole.

I don't think they're thinking the way you are, with an understudy for each of the top four guys. They're going to want the best receivers regardless of size or speed, and they're going to be looking for special teams help.

Aside from a return man, I don't think they are adding a WR to the game day roster.  More likely they will shuffle the practice squad around.  They seem to have a bunch of guys they like at some level.  Based upon the good reports on Powell and his being at least an adequate punt returner, he may have a bit of an edge on one slot.  It will be fun to watch camp and root for these guys without needing one to play like a solid #2 WR this season.

I don't see why people think they need a big guy, a fast guy, a shifty guy.  They need players that can get open and catch the ball.  It doesn't matter, as long as there is a matchup problem somewhere to exploit. 

Well obviously I do, that it is why I asked, lol.   I asked the the question because I think Shaq Evans would not last very long if we put him on the PS and I think he has a nice upside but may not make the roster because of the numbers. It is not life or death; but he was a 4th round pick.    

Posey and Graham were both taken at the top of the 3rd round.  Draft position should not be relevant.  Since they were somebody else's picks it really  isn't.  The only one with legit draft status at this point is Devin Smith.

Go with Owusu - the guy had a Steve Matz type of debut in that last game we played. I remember seeing the statistic line after the first half and saying: who is this guy?  He may be lightning in a bottle for us.  If his only drawback is that he is one concussion away from retiring, let's at least play him until he gets that concussion.

Posey and Graham were both taken at the top of the 3rd round. Draft position should not be relevant. Since they were somebody else's picks it really isn't. The only one with legit draft status at this point is Devin Smith.

Yeah but they weren't our draft picks. Be nice if Evans panned out for us. Plus they been in the league a couple of years and have been underwhelming so far. Shaq could be considered a rookie as got hurt early in camp. He is an unknown at this point but I really like his upside.

I think Powell has the goods to be our punt returner.

He takes the ball high & has awesome takeoff speed.

He also is one of those players that seems to eat up yards quickly with long strides.

I think he makes the 6.

Well I kinda think that goes with out saying ;-)  .... the point is he may not get an opportunity to show how good he is in limited reps and we wind up cutting him for some else who "flashes" a bit more but is more limited...    Totally agree they will go with the best as they perceive it, regardless of size or speed but I think upside will also factor into it somewhat all things being equal. 

Yeah but they weren't our draft picks. Be nice if Evans panned out for us. Plus they been in the league a couple of years and have been underwhelming so far. Shaq could be considered a rookie as got hurt early in camp. He is an unknown at this point but I really like his upside.

Not sure if you get what I am saying, but Evans and Enunwa weren't "our" draft picks either.  Our current front office has no link to those guys.  They have a link to Posey in that they traded for him and Maccagnan was in Houston when he was drafted.

Owusu is one good hit from calling it a career.  I like him too but he definitely carries more risk than Evans.  Granted he is more versatile in that he can play special teams and has the potential to be a very good returner as well as contribute as a receiver.   If it comes down to Enunwa and Evans I am slightly leaning toward Evans because while he may not be the blocker Enunwa is, I think he is a better, more polished receiver and his upside is higher, imho.   

Yeah Owusu is the highest risk of any of these guys because of those concussions, which was most likely the reason why he hasn't caught on anywhere because it's almost too risky for him to be out there on the return teams.  

I think Evans has more potential than Enunwa as well, but none of the new staff have any connections to either of them, so then I feel like it's a true open competition.  I think Evans can atleast try and be a kick returner (albeit I don't think he'll be good at it) so that could help him out a bit.  But all of this is based on speculation right now, it'll be really entertaining to see how it all shakes out.  If I had to bet, I think it will be Evans with Owusu/Powell neck and neck for the spot.   

Pretty much.  Based on what Houston gave up for our 3rd rounder wasn't Posey basically valued as a 7th rounder?  Couple that with the fact that he's only caught 25 passes in his career, and he'd better contribute on specials to secure a roster spot.

To make it even in terms of trade value chart, Posey comes at a 5th round value, so not a complete throw away, but neither is he guaranteed a roster spot.  

Sarcasm meter on high.

So I see you have knowledge of that  portion of the team.  Powell and Enunwa are practice squad candidates and 1st call ups if anyone gets injured.  By the way, do you have any idea how many WR were on the 53 man roster at the end of last season.

Decker

Kerley

Harvin

Owusu

Powell

Hakim

Graham

Enunwa

I think the end of last year is skewed because a couple of guys like Harvin and I believe Graham weren't playing.  

Typically, a team carries about 5 WRs for opening day roster, sometimes 6 depending on circumstances.  

For example:  

Bills in 2010 opened with 5 WRs:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/9/2/2400538/nfl-roster-cuts-buffalo-bills-2010-roster

Bills in 2012 opened with 5 WRs:  

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/8/31/3284048/2012-nfl-cuts-buffalo-bills-final-roster

I couldn't find anything with 2011 in relation to Gailey's influence, but those three would be the years with him.  

If we go the Maccagnan way from Houston the last few years:  

2014 Texans opening day roster, they went with 5 WRs as well:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/8/30/6086907/2014-houston-texans-53-man-roster-set-roster-cut-from-75-to-53

2013, 5 as well for the opening day roster.  

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/8/31/4680648/houston-texans-roster-cuts-final-moves-made-texans-53-man-roster-set

If we go Bowles way, and the last two seasons in Arizona:

2014, they went with 6 WRs on opening day:  

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/08/30/arizona-cardinals-release-20-cut-roster-to-53/14880495/

2013, they went with 4 WRs (although they had Swope retire before the season I believe)

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/8/31/4681014/nfl-roster-cuts-the-final-53-players-for-the-arizona-cardinals-for

So in most instances, for opening day rosters, it's usually 5 with the rare occasions of 6 depending on the roster.  With Sudfeld hurt, I think there is a chance we might go with 2 TEs in Amaro/Cumberland and try to sneak Saxton onto the PS for a first few games, opening up a spot.  I think there is very little chance that we go with more than 6 WRs for the opening day roster.   

CRI120494.png

Josh Cribbs is unattached lol

Not sure if you get what I am saying, but Evans and Enunwa weren't "our" draft picks either.  Our current front office has no link to those guys.  They have a link to Posey in that they traded for him and Maccagnan was in Houston when he was drafted.

I totally get what you are saying and Evans and Enunwa are OUR draft picks since the JETS drafted them just one year ago.   One of them got injured in training camp and the other wasn't activated last season.   It is like we have two additional rookies or draft picks on the team and that is a good thing.   I know the link Mac has with Posey but I have to think our CS is smart enough to value the players drafted by the previous regime (again LAST YEAR) and give them a legit shot to show what they can do.  

Posey has been in the league two years and hasn't shown much; some of that may be the previous coaching staff and other factors.    If Posey beats out Evans and or Enunwa, so be it as long as it is on the field and not based on Mac being involved in drafting him in Houston.   

Yeah Owusu is the highest risk of any of these guys because of those concussions, which was most likely the reason why he hasn't caught on anywhere because it's almost too risky for him to be out there on the return teams.  

I think Evans has more potential than Enunwa as well, but none of the new staff have any connections to either of them, so then I feel like it's a true open competition.  I think Evans can atleast try and be a kick returner (albeit I don't think he'll be good at it) so that could help him out a bit.  But all of this is based on speculation right now, it'll be really entertaining to see how it all shakes out.  If I had to bet, I think it will be Evans with Owusu/Powell neck and neck for the spot.   

I would agree with you.  The loser goes to the PS.  

I totally get what you are saying and Evans and Enunwa are OUR draft picks since the JETS drafted them just one year ago.   One of them got injured in training camp and the other wasn't activated last season.   It is like we have two additional rookies or draft picks on the team and that is a good thing.   I know the link Mac has with Posey but I have to think our CS is smart enough to value the players drafted by the previous regime (again LAST YEAR) and give them a legit shot to show what they can do.

Posey has been in the league two years and hasn't shown much; some of that may be the previous coaching staff and other factors.    If Posey beats out Evans and or Enunwa, so be it as long as it is on the field and not based on Mac being involved in drafting him in Houston.   

You can bold it all you want, but it makes no sense.  They should value every player on the roster.  There is no reason to expect them to value guys drafted by Idzik any more than guys drafted by other teams.  Graham was drafted by the Bills when Gailey was there.  Posey was drafted by the Texans when Maccagnan was there and traded for this year.  All these guys should have a shot or they shouldn't be in camp, but there is no reason to give those guys a leg up because they were given green and white jerseys at the draft last year. None.

You can bold it all you want, but it makes no sense.  They should value every player on the roster.  There is no reason to expect them to value guys drafted by Idzik any more than guys drafted by other teams.  Graham was drafted by the Bills when Gailey was there.  Posey was drafted by the Texans when Maccagnan was there and traded for this year.  All these guys should have a shot or they shouldn't be in camp, but there is no reason to give those guys a leg up because they were given green and white jerseys at the draft last year. None.

Of course they all have a shot!  What is about wanting our own draft picks to succeed are you not getting??   We all want the best players to play; I simply am stating it would nice if players the team drafted last year, and who never saw the field, proved to be those players.   Get it?

Re-read the main article and another thing that should be considered is gunner and coverage teams.  Graham and Hakim excelled there last season.  Considering the money tied up at CB, the top bunch is not going to be doing it.  Supposedly Smith is great at it, but I'm not sure they will want to risk him.  I will be interesting what they do there and may influence the roster spot.  They have a bunch of options at WR and CB, but a bunch of those guys don't give much on specials.

Archived