the two bad coaching decisions

RoadFan

Clearly some positives today.  But they beat a bad football team.

The first poor decision was the challenge.  Nuff said.

The second was not attempting an on-side kick when leading by 11 and kicking off from the 50.  A failed on-side kick, at worst, gives them the ball at the 35 or 40.  So you sacrifice 15-20 yards for a chance to maintain possession and score again to ice the game.

1.  Agree. It happens. No big deal. 

2. That's a stretch. Stop bitching. 

The Browns are not a Bad football team they have a ton of talent on defense and on offense all they really lack is WR 's and a QB Kind of like us the past 6 years under Rex. The Bowns need a few pieces . Keep in  mind that defense usually gives teams fits and today we gave them Fitz . Also the Brandon Marshall play turned the entire game around I don't think Fitz ever saw that guy but Marshall was heads up and that's what wins games

Last year the Browns showed improvement under Mike Pettine, going 7-9 and featuring 4 Pro Bowlers.  

This year we smoke the Browns to open the season, yet the Browns all of a sudden are the worst team in football?  Come on.

exactly ...we beat a good team. probably not playoff bound team but no slouch either.

31-10 and we are going to nitpick challenges?   the only risk with that challenge is if it's a close game in the second half and the Jets don't get a 3rd challenge.   I think Bowles knew it was a longshot but the risk reward was worth the chance.   it wasn't a great challenge but there was little downside given the situation.

That is how I feel as well.

Pretty happy for the coaching staff.  They had some adversity off the bat and adjusted well.  

The play calling on the turn overs on downs was terrible.  Really didnt understand that one bit.  It was like they were trying to prove a point or something.

Challenge was awful.

Couldnt tell if the Browns who have a great OL were just blocking really well or if the blitz packages just werent effective but I have some concerns about it. 

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty solid day for the coaching staff.  

I think some of that was Manziel.  They wanted to contain him, so I think the rush and the blitzes were a bit more concentrated on not letting him escape.  You have to play your lanes much more playing a guy like that than you will against a guy like Brady.  I doubt they are going to get many clean blitzes on Tyrod Taylor either

exactly ...we beat a good team. probably not playoff bound team but no slouch either.

This is the watered down NFL.  There are no good teams that are not playoff bound.  There are several playoff bound teams that are not good.

I thought they would go for the onside kick from midfield. Can't blame them for not doing it. The defense was playing very well at that point, so they probably didn't want to risk a momentum change.

I get it.  But it is time to buck some of the traditionalist thinking.  Can it really change the momentum if Cleveland gets the ball at the 37 instead of the 20?  Almost no risk and a very high reward.

Against the Cheatriots, that MUST be an onside kick.  Take the advantageous shot to keep the ball away from Brady.

I get it.  But it is time to buck some of the traditionalist thinking.  Can it really change the momentum if Cleveland gets the ball at the 37 instead of the 20?  Almost no risk and a very high reward.

Against the Cheatriots, that MUST be an onside kick.  Take the advantageous shot to keep the ball away from Brady.

Well yesterday was against a really young QB that they were controlling. I am all for it in a different situation. I am just saying I am not calling it a bad decision in that situation.

The Browns are not a Bad football team they have a ton of talent on defense and on offense all they really lack is WR 's and a QB Kind of like us the past 6 years under Rex. The Bowns need a few pieces . Keep in  mind that defense usually gives teams fits and today we gave them Fitz . Also the Brandon Marshall play turned the entire game around I don't think Fitz ever saw that guy but Marshall was heads up and that's what wins games

Well played.  LOL

31-10 and we are going to nitpick challenges?   the only risk with that challenge is if it's a close game in the second half and the Jets don't get a 3rd challenge.   I think Bowles knew it was a longshot but the risk reward was worth the chance.   it wasn't a great challenge but there was little downside given the situation.

some people can't help themselves.  

1. The challenge could easily have been more probable from another vantage point according to guys upstairs. At worst the team takes a covert time out to adjust the plan going forward. Maybe it was just a bad decision but with three time outs going into the half it wasn't a big deal.

2. Manziel's claim to fame is his ability to take off running so a failed on-sides kick that gives up 15-20 yards plus a couple breakout runs by Manziel and they are at least in FG range. It wasn't worth the risk in this instance.

3. Is anybody really surprised by a 4 and 1 that results in the FB taking it up the middle? That's not a shocking play. Had Bohanon gone over the pile instead of under he would have had the first down. That wasn't a bad decision by the coaching staff it was a bad decision in the moment by Bohanon.

There were things not to like about the game but these three decisions were far down that list for me.

Archived