Jeremy Kerley's reduced role, Eric Decker in the slot

LIJetsFan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/5_jets_chan_gailey_takeaways_jeremy_kerleys_reduce.html#incart_river

FLORHAM PARK — Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's weekly conversation with reporters was held Friday this week because theJets don't play again till Monday night, when they visit the Colts in Indianapolis.

A quick rundown of what Gailey had to say:

1. What's up with Jeremy Kerley? Gailey basically said Kerley isn't versatile enough for what the Jets want to do with their offense. "We've got some roles defined, and he fits a little bit of a lot of roles, but not major in any of the roles," Gailey said. Gailey also said because Kerley had missed time—first with an Achilles injury during OTAs, then with a concussion during training camp, "we started molding [the offense] around other things, and we are where we are." The Jets want their receivers to be able to play interchangeable roles. Kerley, while capable, is pretty much a slot receiver. He playedjust one offensive snap against the Browns. "He's still going to have bits and pieces of things that we think that he would make a difference for us on, but there's not enough room for everybody on every play," Gailey said. "Unfortunately, with the time he missed, he's a little bit—this is a bad term—you don't want to say odd man out, but it's just we haven't created the role for him yet that he will end up playing at some point for us. We will, we know where it is, we'll get there, but these other things are things that we've been doing for quite a while, while he was out." Translation: Kerley's future with the Jets is very much in doubt.

2. On Devin Smith's role, if he does play vs. Colts. Gailey said Smith, who's been sidelined since July 31 with broken ribs, would play "a very limited role" if he can go Monday night. Smith has practiced in full the last two weeks, but he was inactive last week against the Browns. "He's really in fall camp still," Gailey said. "You can watch film and do it on the chalkboard all you want, but until you get out there and you do it on the field, there's no substitute for that."

3. Where will Devin Smith play (if he plays)? As noted above, Gailey and receiver coach Karl Dorrell want all of the Jets wideouts to be able to play in all spots. But with all the time Smith has missed, Gailey said he'd prefer to put Smith "in a spot—I won't tell you which one—and try to leave him there in order to keep it as simple as possible for him early in the year." In other words, if Smith plays—head coach Todd Bowles said Smith would be a game-time decision—don't look for him in the slot.

4. On the tight ends getting targeted once vs. Browns. Kellen Davis and Jeff Cumberland had one pass thrown their way last week. Head coach Todd Bowles said earlier this week that was mainly because quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick was going through his reads and looking elsewhere. Gailey agreed that was part of it, but he also said Davis and Cumberland blocked so well—particularly on play-action—that they weren't running as many routes. "Just when you think we're not going to throw it to 'em," Gailey said, "that'll be the week that we do."

5. Eric Decker in the slot? Eric Decker in the slot. Decker played 43 of his 55 snaps in the slot against the Browns, after mostly playing on the outside last season. Gailey said Decker "has got a unique feel" for playing inside. "We kind of threw him in there early, and he had a great feel for it, so we're able to keep working him in the slot there," Gailey said. "I think he can be a big weapon for us inside." Putting Decker inside also allows the Jets to get use Brandon Marshall and a speedster like Chris Owusu (40 snaps) on the outside. Decker in the slot would also seem to be why Kerley has been placed on the shelf.

Quincy Enunwa was targeted three times last night and caught one. Last night, with Indy down three CBs to open the game, it would've been a good opportunity to get Kerley involved. I suspect he would've been a lot more productive. They talk about how he doesn't quite fit what they want to do, but it sure seems like he's in the doghouse to me. 

Will he get more opportunities if/when Decker is sidelined a few games? Or does Devin Smith get activated and jump ahead of him, too? I think the latter. 

Quincy Enunwa was targeted three times last night and caught one. Last night, with Indy down three CBs to open the game, it would've been a good opportunity to get Kerley involved. I suspect he would've been a lot more productive. They talk about how he doesn't quite fit what they want to do, but it sure seems like he's in the doghouse to me. 

Will he get more opportunities if/when Decker is sidelined a few games? Or does Devin Smith get activated and jump ahead of him, too? I think the latter. 

I think both.  I was a bit worried about guys that supposedly find a role for everybody not being able to use a guy who was able to catch balls with those horrible offenses.  It would have been one thing if he were inactive, but they were using him to fair catch.  I think they have a role for him, but planned to work him in as necessary.  Decker being down probably makes it necessary.  It is quite possible that Smith + Kerley = Decker from a role perspective. 

Maybe we also have to consider that it has been repeatedly said that if something works, Gailey will keep doing it until it doesn't.  They have not had trouble moving the ball. or scoring.  They took their foot off the pedal last night and when the Colts scored, they rolled right back into the end zone.  It is possible that they have a package for Kerley, but aren't going to use it until they think it is necessary.  Decker being out may make it necessary.

it is almost like they are keeping him healthy for a trade, very strange that Owusu and Enunwa are getting on the field so much and nothing for JK. 

it is almost like they are keeping him healthy for a trade, very strange that Owusu and Enunwa are getting on the field so much and nothing for JK. 

No, he's on the bench because the guys ahead of him bring more to the table. Enunwa is a bigger target and much better blocker. Owusu is faster and can stretch the field. Our absolute ineptitude at WR the past few have us thinking Kerley is a good receiver. He's not, he's average. He reminds me of Victor Hobson years ago. Everyone thought Hobson was a good LB and thought he would kill us when he signed with NE. He ended up not even making the NE team and was out of the league for good. I'm not saying Kerley is that bad, but he's also not all that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerley was injured and adjusting to the new offense. I imagine now that Decker is down his role will increase. My ass he is overrated. Ive followed Kerely since TCU he has the talent. Give him time. Look at Andre Johnson last night with Andrew Luck. Does that mean that Andre Johnson is overrated? No. 

Archived