Jets GIF breakdown: Week 2

Villain The Foe

Great game overall. Most of the things that I notice were positives and It really makes me optimistic, especially when looking at the Jet offense and how they create and take advantage of mismatches when spreading the defense out. 

01.gif

First play of the game we go 4 wide with Enunwa going in motion from right to left, backing up the the safety that was closer to the box on the offenses right side leaving Decker one-on-one with a LB'er. this mismatch is exposed for the entire first half. Unfortunately the Jets are hit with an illegal block and a stopped running play after this and sets the Jets up with a 1st and 20 situation. 

02.gif

Again on 2nd and 15, Decker defended by a LB'er and Decker again exposes the coverage. This play leaves 3rd and 1 and the Jets unfortunately could not convert, however Fitz was finding the right targets and taking advantage of mismatches. 

03.gif

This is the 3rd and 1 play and D'Brick gets completely manhandled here. It initially looks like he was to block an inside lineman but the DE was too fast and got onto Bricks inside and pushed him right into the running play. The Colts defensive line dominated for 3 and a half quarters during this game which the offense did stall a bit at times during this game given that the Jets never moved away from the run game yet the Colts for the most part handled business in the run game. 

04.gif

A guy who's impact was felt thoughout the entire game though the stats wont show it was Buster Skrine. IMO this guy will be the darkhorse of this defense. He was impactful with everything Bowles had him doing. This play right here really impressed me and shows his impact in the running game. Look at #41 seal the edge at the bottom of the screen and push the run back inside where a lineman makes the stop. Now its possible that Coples could have gotten off of his block but it didnt look like it to me and if Skrine doesnt seal this edge for Coples the RB could have broke to the outside for a big gain. Now that Skrine play on 1st and 20 sets up this play. 

05.gif

Marcus Gilchrist remains patient and doesnt give away his blitz. He comes in hard and makes it rather uncomfortable for Luck, forcing him to throw to a receiver that was pushed off his route by Douzable who took over Gilchrist assignment. More importantly Calvin Pryor is in position to take advantage of the initial defensive execution. 

06.gif

If we've ever wondered of the importance of having a guy like Brandon Marshall, this is it. Marshall forced 3 big penalties on the Colts CB's, all resulting into eventual points for the offense. This play Fitz gets flushed out of the pocket towards the right and Marshall immediately changes direction to give Fitz a target causing Vontae Davis to hold in the endzone. 

07.gif

1st and goal after the penalty by Colts CB Davis and the Jets try to run the ball. Nick Mangold gets stood up by the Colts rookie and controls the line of scrimmage, ultimately making the play. 

08.gif

Now with the Jets understanding that the Colts are playing stout run defense Gailey goes back to Fitz to finish the job. He calls a great play which creates space between Decker and Davis. What I love about this play is that the crossing route is done correctly without any "pick off's" of the defenders...something that the Patriots do all the time, picking off defenders and the refs rarely if ever call a penalty on the Pats. Anyway, Decker allows the TE to release first then runs under his route putting space between him and Davis for the easy TD. Please take note that Vontae Davis has not given up a TD to a WR since 2013. This was done not just by execution on the field, but great play design in the redzone. Gailey is again showing why he was immediately on top of Todd Bowles list for OC's. 

09.gif

Now we go from a good play with the INT to a bad play by Pryor. For the most part Pryor had a very good game, however, this play shows that he needs to learn how to engage a blocker when playing the run game. Instead of Pryor shooting his hands to the inside of the blocker to establish space and leverage, he basically tries to tackle the blocker giving him a shoulder. This gives the advantage to the blocker and keeps Pryor from re-establishing control and setting the edge. The runner bounces outside for 10 yards. 

10_1.gif

This play is yet another example of stats not really showing the level of dominance that was the Jets defense. This is a very good play design by the Colts in order to open up the passing lane for the Colts Right Tackle who was eligible. Notice the RB running the flat and the RT running the split. This route combination creates an open man by the endzone between Cro and the Safety up top. However, the pressure on Luck is so intense that Luck simply cannot throw an accurate ball which negates a TD and is equivalent to a Sack with the loss of down. The Colts didnt give up a sack but the Jets had to have atleast 10 pressures throughout the night which were direct results to a loss of down, especially on 3rd downs in the first half given that the Colts couldnt convert a 3rd down until the 3rd Qtr. 

Awesome, I wish you would have shown Indy's first offensive play from scrimmage(I think). Luck has a quick drop and release and still gets blown up on the play.  I think that really set the tone and was in his head for the game.  No matter how fast he was going to get rid of the ball he was going to get hit.

Awesome, I wish you would have shown Indy's first offensive play from scrimmage(I think). Luck has a quick drop and release and still gets blown up on the play.  I think that really set the tone and was in his head for the game.  No matter how fast he was going to get rid of the ball he was going to get hit.

I know. There are so many great plays in this game, especially on defense. The defense DOMINATED the entire game. Im not even out of the 1st qtr yet. I have alot of GIF's to create and upload. I have time today given that I dont have to work so I should have a good amount of GIF's for you guys today. 

11.gif

After the Colts miss their FG the Jets get the ball back on their 20, Fitz notice that the Colts have not made any adjustments to the Decker coverage in the slot and Fitz continues to take advantage of the mismatch. Decker drops the pass. That sets up 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 3 and the Jets eventually punt. Now I've heard posters criticize Fitz saying that "He left plays on the field", well that could be up to perspective. However, Fitz completed 22 of his 34 passes and I know of atleast 3 passes that were dropped, 2 by Decker and 1 by Enunwa, where which the 2nd Decker drop was a 3rd down play which would have converted and would have put them in FG range had he caught it. So that means that people are saying that Fitz left alot of plays on the field when he essentially had just 9 incompletions out of 34 passes when you take away the min 3 drops that were on the WR's. 

12.gif

David Harris playing his dual assignment like a boss. He was to blitz but also take care of any RB running into the flat. He stops the play with just 1 yard gained to make it 3rd and 9. 

13.gif

The very next play Demario Davis decides its his turn to be the disrupter. He comes off the edge free which hurries Luck and he almost throws a pick if Gilchrist could come up with the play. This is a great example of how the front 7 creates opportunities for the secondary. Lets see this play at another angle. 

14.gif

This view is what Luck had all game...looking up at the roof of the stadium on 3rd down because he was flat on his back. 

15.gif

After the Jets get the ball back they get a huge head's up play by Marshall. Vontae Davis is to assist on the flat and Dwight Lowery is to pick up Marshall on his route. Once Marshall notices that Davis releases him Marshall stops inbetween defenders giving Fitz a wide open target. Marshall proceeds to gain that YAC on just a great play that really shows how #1 WR's can differentiate themselves from other WR's. Marshall is a beast, as we will further see in this game. 

More GIF's to come. 

Thanks for doing these.  Love'em.  But I'm going to challenge you on some of your assessment of the plays.  ;-)

03.gif

This is the 3rd and 1 play and D'Brick gets completely manhandled here. It initially looks like he was to block an inside lineman but the DE was too fast and got onto Bricks inside and pushed him right into the running play. The Colts defensive line dominated for 3 and a half quarters during this game which the offense did stall a bit at times during this game given that the Jets never moved away from the run game yet the Colts for the most part handled business in the run game. 

04.gif

A guy who's impact was felt thoughout the entire game though the stats wont show it was Buster Skrine. IMO this guy will be the darkhorse of this defense. He was impactful with everything Bowles had him doing. This play right here really impressed me and shows his impact in the running game. Look at #41 seal the edge at the bottom of the screen and push the run back inside where a lineman makes the stop. Now its possible that Coples could have gotten off of his block but it didnt look like it to me and if Skrine doesnt seal this edge for Coples the RB could have broke to the outside for a big gain. Now that Skrine play on 1st and 20 sets up this play. 

05.gif

Marcus Gilchrist remains patient and doesnt give away his blitz. He comes in hard and makes it rather uncomfortable for Luck, forcing him to throw to a receiver that was pushed off his route by Douzable who took over Gilchrist assignment. More importantly Calvin Pryor is in position to take advantage of the initial defensive execution. 

07.gif

1st and goal after the penalty by Colts CB Davis and the Jets try to run the ball. Nick Mangold gets stood up by the Colts rookie and controls the line of scrimmage, ultimately making the play. 

09.gif

Now we go from a good play with the INT to a bad play by Pryor. For the most part Pryor had a very good game, however, this play shows that he needs to learn how to engage a blocker when playing the run game. Instead of Pryor shooting his hands to the inside of the blocker to establish space and leverage, he basically tries to tackle the blocker giving him a shoulder. This gives the advantage to the blocker and keeps Pryor from re-establishing control and setting the edge. The runner bounces outside for 10 yards. 

I will continue the GIF breakdown

1st GiF - I dont think Brick got "manhandled", he just got to the block late because it was a pathetic play call that they telegraphed and the Colts were all over it.  They clearly recognized the formation and knew exactly what was coming.  He just got beat the spot.

2nd GiF - I dont know how you're claiming Skrine "set the edge".  He ran to no-mans land and didnt touch anyone.  Now Coples on the other hand, does an incredible job of setting the edge.  He pushed the RT 5 yards behind the LOS opening up a huge lane for Skrine to shoot through and he didnt, he went wide.  Luckily, Mo Wilk is a beast, disengaged and made the shoe string tackle.  Skrine did have a great game though and I agree, he's crucial to this D.

3rd GiF - nice breakdown, I just wanted to point out Coples at the LOS on Allen.  He completely throws Allen off his route and is right in the area of the tipped ball. 

4th GiF - terrible play design.  It looks like a stretch play but they have Tbo blocking on the other end of the line that gives an appearance of a counter play.  He does make a hole.  

5th GiF - Pryor thought he had a free shot at the RB.  It looked like he was caught off guard by the TE pulling.  He's not going to win that match up often and it happened a little to quick to be focused on the use of his hands and leverage (which is already asking a lot of a safety).  The real fault was Harris got flushed into the middle of the line.  He should have been on the edge waiting for the running to bounce after seeing the TE pull. 

Thanks for doing these.  Love'em.  But I'm going to challenge you on some of your assessment of the plays.  ;-)

1st GiF - I dont think Brick got "manhandled", he just got to the block late because it was a pathetic play call that they telegraphed and the Colts were all over it.  They clearly recognized the formation and knew exactly what was coming.  He just got beat the spot.

2nd GiF - I dont know how you're claiming Skrine "set the edge".  He ran to no-mans land and didnt touch anyone.  Now Coples on the other hand, does an incredible job of setting the edge.  He pushed the RT 5 yards behind the LOS opening up a huge lane for Skrine to shoot through and he didnt, he went wide.  Luckily, Mo Wilk is a beast, disengaged and made the shoe string tackle.  Skrine did have a great game though and I agree, he's crucial to this D.

3rd GiF - nice breakdown, I just wanted to point out Coples at the LOS on Allen.  He completely throws Allen off his route and is right in the area of the tipped ball. 

4th GiF - terrible play design.  It looks like a stretch play but they have Tbo blocking on the other end of the line that gives an appearance of a counter play.  He does make a hole.  

5th GiF - Pryor thought he had a free shot at the RB.  It looked like he was caught off guard by the TE pulling.  He's not going to win that match up often and it happened a little to quick to be focused on the use of his hands and leverage (which is already asking a lot of a safety).  The real fault was Harris got flushed into the middle of the line.  He should have been on the edge waiting for the running to bounce after seeing the TE pull. 

No problem. I'm only giving my opinion of those plays. You could very well be right. 

One thing I would like to add is that the Offensive line in the passing game is playing pretty much flawless. A hat on a hat and they're winning 99.9% of the time. For the past 2 weeks I've seen Fitz have a clean pocket to operate in and its really been paying dividends. 

Agree also nice that Fitz isn't worst in league in time from snap to pass as Geno did last year

Agree also nice that Fitz isn't worst in league in time from snap to pass as Geno did last year

I will say this though, if Geno had this type of protection given the spread offense I believe Geno could produce. Now, thats more of an opinion given that we havent seen him yet, but I think the offensive schemes of the prior 2 years just wasnt good for Geno. I thik if Fitz played on those offenses we would have seen much of the same. 

I will say this though, if Geno had this type of protection given the spread offense I believe Geno could produce. Now, thats more of an opinion given that we havent seen him yet, but I think the offensive schemes of the prior 2 years just wasnt good for Geno. I thik if Fitz played on those offenses we would have seen much of the same. 

I am not totally dismissing the possibility that Geno could show strides given a better supporting cast, although I personally do not think the issues with Geno can be "fixed." My view is based more on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I am not totally dismissing the possibility that Geno could show strides given a better supporting cast, although I personally do not think the issues with Geno can be "fixed." My view is based more on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

You could have a point here. Though, I believe that when you're that young in the league that the correct guidance could make a difference. Look at this Jets team as a whole. What we're seeing is beyond talent on the field. We see the guidance and coaching really shine through with this team. I think Bowles and Gailey could make a great difference in Geno's production. 

It's not like Fitz has had a stellar record in the league, though I will say that Fitz has always been a mature player in the league, something that seems is contrary with Geno (IK incident, cursing out fans even if they act like ass clowns etc). 

I have to admit, I am looking forward to see how Geno can play in this system. Im not requesting that the Jets sit Fitz...not at all, generally though I would like to see it. 

As a side note, Mike Glennon would KILL in this system! :-)

You could have a point here. Though, I believe that when you're that young in the league that the correct guidance could make a difference. Look at this Jets team as a whole. What we're seeing is beyond talent on the field. We see the guidance and coaching really shine through with this team. I think Bowles and Gailey could make a great difference in Geno's production. 

It's not like Fitz has had a stellar record in the league, though I will say that Fitz has always been a mature player in the league, something that seems is contrary with Geno (IK incident, cursing out fans even if they act like ass clowns etc). 

I have to admit, I am looking forward to see how Geno can play in this system. Im not requesting that the Jets sit Fitz...not at all, generally though I would like to see it. 

As a side note, Mike Glennon would KILL in this system! :-)

Maybe so, but a lot of "ifs" in that. All we really have is actual evidence from his on-field performance to date, which isn't very good. I think it does change things a bit since the Jets do seem, at these very early stages, to be a team capable of making some real noise.

Maybe so, but a lot of "ifs" in that. All we really have is actual evidence from his on-field performance to date, which isn't very good. I think it does change things a bit since the Jets do seem, at these very early stages, to be a team capable of making some real noise.

Thats legit, however, there were alot of if's with Fitz, even I was skeptical, but he's put that to rest rather quickly. And if Geno was maintaining his 1st string position against a guy who is playing pretty well as our starter I would atleast like to see what Geno could bring to the table. 

Geno is in a tough position though. Fitz doesnt look like he's going to give up this spot and I dont think Geno could stand out so much in practice that it would force the coaching staff to make a change regardless of us winning ball games. 

It's really looking like Geno should have paid IK that $600 lol. 

Thats legit, however, there were alot of if's with Fitz, even I was skeptical, but he's put that to rest rather quickly. And if Geno was maintaining his 1st string position against a guy who is playing pretty well as our starter I would atleast like to see what Geno could bring to the table. 

Geno is in a tough position though. Fitz doesnt look like he's going to give up this spot and I dont think Geno could stand out so much in practice that it would force the coaching staff to make a change regardless of us winning ball games. 

Yeah, he is probably regretting that decision.

True but in the end we win because the more he sits and watches Fitz, the more he learns what he needs to do if and or when he gets another opportunity.  This overall experience should make him a better quarterback and hopefully a better person.  Right now it is all about TEAM.  But if Fitz gets hurt, than it is next man up! Geno needs to be ready. 

Thanks for the GIFs, really appreciate any thread that isn't trying to discern if Geno is a douche bag or a dirtbag, lol.  

I just submitted the film review for week 2.   

On the drops, there was actually one more from Enunwa, on a deep out post I believe right after the Luck fumble near the end of the first half.  

There is a lot of redundancy in the plays called by Gailey but I love the system that he's set up.  

Thanks for the GIFs!

Watching Fitz play, the one adjective that comes to mind is "decisive".  He makes his read, and makes his throw.  If the throw isn't there and his internal clock is going off, he chucks the ball down the field in the general vicinity of his deep guy.

He doesn't always make the right throw - we saw one where he threw it deep to a doubled Marshall when Decker was wide open 15 yards down the field - but at least he's making a decision!  And just doing that - and not trying to do too much - would be a great thing for Geno to learn...

One thing I would like to add is that the Offensive line in the passing game is playing pretty much flawless. A hat on a hat and they're winning 99.9% of the time. For the past 2 weeks I've seen Fitz have a clean pocket to operate in and its really been paying dividends. 

First off, Thanks again for these. This is becoming my favorite thread on this entire board along side of the JN review as well.

It's interesting about the O line because carpenter was considered a road grader to go along with the already established strength of our o line which was the run game. Yet they certainly did not dominate on Monday night while the blocking for the passing game (last season's perceived weakness) has been solid.

First off, Thanks again for these. This is becoming my favorite thread on this entire board along side of the JN review as well.

It's interesting about the O line because carpenter was considered a road grader to go along with the already established strength of our o line which was the run game. Yet they certainly did not dominate on Monday night while the blocking for the passing game (last season's perceived weakness) has been solid.

Thank you man. That means alot. It takes alot of time, especially when I cant find footage outside of .mkv files which I ultimately have to convert by streaming the entire game in real time before even breaking down the footage. I need to re order my NFL gamepass so I can get the compressed game footage and that will def come in handy. going through 2 hours of footage is alot but its good to know that when you put in the effort there are people such as yourself that truly appreciate it. 

Thank you. 

And with that said, here you go! 

The best thing that I like about the 2015 Jets is something that the offense did with 10 mins left in the game. The defense held the Colts to 0 points for over 3 quarters but finally allowed a TD. The typical Jets scenario would be a 3 and out for the Jets offense and the jets would ultimately find a way to lose this game. Instead, the Jets offense responded with a TD of their own...in less than 4 minutes. This team showed grit and most importantly, showed support for the defense by scoring points, more specifically a TD. Below is the highlights from that final TD drive.

16.gif

17.gif

18.gif

19.gif

This Brandon Marshall play is just beastly. Lets see that again from a different angle. 

20.gif

This team is looking special. And I know its only week 2 but usually the Jets are the team that lose because a couple things in the game didnt go their way. This Jets team is looking like the team where things are bouncing in their favor. Its wonderful to see. 

Enjoy your week Jets fans and hopefully I can get my Game Pass going so I can do a more streamline GIF breakdown for JetNation. 

Thank you man. That means alot. It takes alot of time, especially when I cant find footage outside of .mkv files which I ultimately have to convert by streaming the entire game in real time before even breaking down the footage. I need to re order my NFL gamepass so I can get the compressed game footage and that will def come in handy. going through 2 hours of footage is alot but its good to know that when you put in the effort there are people such as yourself that truly appreciate it. 

Thank you. 

The best thing that I like about the 2015 Jets is something that the offense did with 10 mins left in the game. The defense held the Colts to 0 points for over 3 quarters but finally allowed a TD. The typical Jets scenario would be a 3 and out for the Jets offense and the jets would ultimately find a way to lose this game. Instead, the Jets offense responded with a TD of their own...in less than 4 minutes. This team showed grit and most importantly, showed support for the defense by scoring points, more specifically a TD. Below is the highlights from that final TD drive.

16.gif

17.gif

18.gif

19.gif

This Brandon Marshall play is just beastly. Lets see that again from a different angle. 

20.gif

This team is looking special. And I know its only week 2 but usually the Jets are the team that lose because a couple things in the game didnt go their way. This Jets team is looking like the team where things are bouncing in their favor. Its wonderful to see. 

Enjoy your week Jets fans and hopefully I can get my Game Pass going so I can do a more streamline GIF breakdown for JetNation. 

Awesome!  

That Brandon Marshall play will go down in Jets lore as one of the most manly, ballsy and aggressive TD's in our history. It's nice to have the MAN on the field be wearing Green and white for a change.

Thanks again Villain. 

Thank you. 

16.gif

17.gif

18.gif

19.gif

20.gif

Brandon Marshall is an absolute monster.  Amazing having a player like him.

That Ivory run on your GIF above, check out the blocking.  Kellen Davis delivers a perfect block, Colon pulls and gets a nice one and DBrick is down field making one too.

Brandon Marshall is an absolute monster.  Amazing having a player like him.

That Ivory run on your GIF above, check out the blocking.  Kellen Davis delivers a perfect block, Colon pulls and gets a nice one and DBrick is down field making one too.

You're right on that Ivory run. I even liked that Colon didnt commit a hold when he didnt get a solid block but allowed Ivory to do his thing. A hold on that play would have been just a typical Jets move and probably would have killed this drive. 

21.gif

Thank you. 

16.gif

17.gif

18.gif

19.gif

20.gif

Great gifs Villian; really appreciate your breakdowns.   I totally agree about this team looking and even feeling special. I mean, how often does Frank Gore fumble without even being touched?  So far, the breaks have been going our way and starting to have the feel of a "special" season.  

Great Foe-cast as always..;)

haha, I seen what you did, and im gonna use that sometime in the future! lol. 

" villain's weekly jets foe-cast". I like it. but to make this work, you need to stop with the lame excuses." I was out of the country" blah,blah,blah. "I had to go to work" blah,blah,blah. had to wait an extra day over this? get your priorities straight. GIF's & foe cast must come before work, travel, life in general.

" villain's weekly jets foe-cast". I like it. but to make this work, you need to stop with the lame excuses." I was out of the country" blah,blah,blah. "I had to go to work" blah,blah,blah. had to wait an extra day over this? get your priorities straight. GIF's & foe cast must come before work, travel, life in general.

It's hard for me to set aside my bitchassness. It's difficult. :-)

Awesome!  

That Brandon Marshall play will go down in Jets lore as one of the most manly, ballsy and aggressive TD's in our history. It's nice to have the MAN on the field be wearing Green and white for a change.

Thanks again Villain. 

Reminds me of the Braylon Beast TD in the playoffs against the Pats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4kIFVWhBg

Hey @win4ever - where did that thread go?  I thought I saw it this morning, but I don't see it now...

Hey @thshadow

It's there, It's part of the automatic JN news cycle feed, but I didn't make a different thread for it because it'd be redundant to the auto news feed post anyway.   I'll bump it with the copied and pasted version, although there is a ton of GIFs, so if the page starts to slow down, might have to take it down, and just leave the link to the front page.  

Archived