Cousin's pregame speech last week (Shek Report)

GREENBEAN

This week's shek report begins with what I feel might be the most painfully empty pregame speech I've ever heard. 

If this is the type of leader he is for the Skins, then goes out and throws the game ending pick 6, I wonder just how much air is left in the Redskins offense and team in general. Cousins comes out and lays a couple of eggs early or God forbid throws a pick early, the team could pack it up.

Here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shek-report/0ap3000000556185/The-Shek-Report-Week-5

This week's shek report begins with what I feel might be the most painfully empty pregame speech I've ever heard. 

If this is the type of leader he is for the Skins, then goes out and throws the game ending pick 6, I wonder just how much air is left in the Redskins offense and team in general. Cousins comes out and lays a couple of eggs early or God forbid throws a pick early, the team could pack it up.

Here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shek-report/0ap3000000556185/The-Shek-Report-Week-5

Note: Jets called the Redskins after the Geno incident and asked about the cost of trading for Cousins...the Redskins had already made their decision to start him week 1 despite not making a formal announcement and immediately said no.  We were "this" close to Cousins being our week 1 starter...the Jets wanted him over Fitz.

Note: Jets called the Redskins after the Geno incident and asked about the cost of trading for Cousins...the Redskins had already made their decision to start him week 1 despite not making a formal announcement and immediately said no.  We were "this" close to Cousins being our week 1 starter...the Jets wanted him over Fitz.

That actually happened?  Did not hear that but I believe it.  Wonder what we offered.

That actually happened?  Did not hear that but I believe it.  Wonder what we offered.

2. When Geno Smith went down in August with a broken jaw, the Jets placed a call to the Redskins to check on the availability of Cousins, the NFL Network reported recently. The Redskins, planning to promote Cousins over Robert Griffin III, responded with a quick "no." Imagine how different these teams would look if the Redskins had parted with Cousins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54958/redskins-carry-plenty-of-baggage-dont-travel-well

I dont think the talks got that far.  I think the Jets called to see if he could be made available and when the answer was no, moved onto other options (Josh Johnson)...but it is still interesting.

Or perhaps they were interested in Cousins for the same reason they brought Flynn, and Josh Johnson in.  They wanted him as an insurance policy because Fitz still wasn't 100% recovered from his broken leg.    

Or perhaps they were interested in Cousins for the same reason they brought Flynn, and Josh Johnson in.  They wanted him as an insurance policy because Fitz still wasn't 100% recovered from his broken leg.  Insurance.  

hmmm, based on the likEly trade value of a 27 year old NFL starting caliber qb (whose qb rating is higher than Fitz's BTW)...you think the Jets would have traded a 3rd or 4th Rd pick (at the least, likely a 3Rd that could become a second based on playing incentives) for another practice arm and the second half qb for the 4th preseason game?  Huh, seems like mac would be giving up a lot for a backup qb in your proposal...

hmmm, based on the likEly trade value of a 27 year old NFL starting caliber qb (whose qb rating is higher than Fitz's BTW)...you think the Jets would have traded a 3rd or 4th Rd pick (at the least, likely a 3Rd that could become a second based on playing incentives) for another practice arm and the second half qb for the 4th preseason game?  Huh, seems like mac would be giving up a lot for a backup qb in your proposal...

I have no idea what they offered, and neither do you.   I don't even know that the call even took place.  Rich Cimini saying it doesn't make it so.

Fitz's health is the reason they brought Flynn and Johnson in.  

I have no idea what they offered, and neither do you.   I don't even know that the call even took place.  Rich Cimini saying it doesn't make it so.

Fitz's health is the reason they brought Flynn and Johnson in.  

is this an agenda driven conversation?  If you feel this is a fabricated story that likely never took place, why start a debate?  You feel it may have never happened, so let's stop the conversation here.

Didn't take long for finger pointing on what everyone on a chat boarboard knows and doesn't know...came out post #2.  Seems like the other chat board you enjoy that is nothing but attacks on people who doesn't agree with the mods and mod friendlys.  I left that sh1tty board for a reason.  I'm not here to have those sh1tty debates here.  Thanks.

is this an agenda driven conversation?  If you feel this is a fabricated story that likely never took place, why start a debate?  You feel it may have never happened, so let's stop the conversation here.

Didn't take long for finger pointing on what everyone on a chat boarboard knows and doesn't know...came out post #2.  Seems like the other chat board you enjoy that is nothing but attacks on people who doesn't agree with the mods and mod friendlys.  I left that sh1tty board for a reason.  I'm not here to have those sh1tty debates here.  Thanks.

Don't know why you would be bringing up something that happened on another board.  That's childish.  As far as it being agenda driven, LOL, I didn't even know who you were until you started bringing the other board up.  Your using a different name.    As I recall, the reason you left that board was, you were suspended .   I believe this is the first time I have ever replied to you on JN.

The only reason I even replied to you was, in a thread that is mostly criticizing Cousins , you brought up an unsourced  rumor, from a scribe that is notorious for being snarky toward the Jets, and presented it as fact, in order to show that as bad as Cousins is, the Jets much preferred him over Fitz.  When in fact Bowles has said that the only reason they even brought Flynn and Johnson in was because they were concerned about Fitz's health from the broken leg.  IF the call did take place, it was most  likely, as the GM's like to call it, "doing due diligence" , just to see what the price was.  They got Marshall, for what, a 5th ?

No one knows what the trade price of a player is going to be until you ask.  So if your going to reply to a post with crying about another board.   I really don't need to  talk to you 

Truth be told, I wanted the Jets to pursue Cousins this past off season myself. In my defense I've never seen his pregame fire up the team speech either. 

It requires no leap of faith to believe a team who just lost its presumptive starter and may have to rely on a journeyman QB coming off a leg injury would shop around to find another option and that Cousins looked like a promising option. I'd take Cousins over any of the guys we ended up bringing in especially if we had the opportunity to unload Geno and lose a late pick to get it done.

Don't know why you would be bringing up something that happened on another board.  That's childish.  As far as it being agenda driven, LOL, I didn't even know who you were until you started bringing the other board up.  Your using a different name.    As I recall, the reason you left that board was, you were suspended .   I believe this is the first time I have ever replied to you on JN.

The only reason I even replied to you was, in a thread that is mostly criticizing Cousins , you brought up an unsourced  rumor, from a scribe that is notorious for being snarky toward the Jets, and presented it as fact, in order to show that as bad as Cousins is, the Jets much preferred him over Fitz.  When in fact Bowles has said that the only reason they even brought Flynn and Johnson in was because they were concerned about Fitz's health from the broken leg.  IF the call did take place, it was most  likely, as the GM's like to call it, "doing due diligence" , just to see what the price was.  They got Marshall, for what, a 5th ?

No one knows what the trade price of a player is going to be until you ask.  So if your going to reply to a post with crying about another board.   I really don't need to  talk to you 

I was suspended for 8 hours (I was actually at the fair with my daughter that day and never even noticed).  I've had the creater of your site send me multiple messages asking me to return, ask Elias if you want.  Funny you bring that up then call me childish.  I have no desire to continue the conversation with this quality of posting as a response, but thanks for the effort.  You found a way to make this topic not worth discussing for me.  Your quality of posting is exactly why I left that sh1tty board.  Thanks for reminding me.

I do not believe for one second that the Jets were in any way considering Cousins being their week 1 starter. 

I thought this rumor was only if we hired Dan Quinn and that he would have brought Shanny Jr. who would have demanded they trade for Cousins.  I didnt hear that Mac and Co. were trying to trade for him.  That's news to me.

I thought this rumor was only if we hired Dan Quinn and that he would have brought Shanny Jr. who would have demanded they trade for Cousins.  I didnt hear that Mac and Co. were trying to trade for him.  That's news to me.

ESPN and NFL Network are reporting the Jets called the skins after the Geno incident...that would be Mac/Bowles.  As another poster referenced, its an unnamed source, so maybe it isn't true.  or maybe it is.  

Actually, when Geno got punched there were some articles out saying the Jets worked the phones seeing who was available.  After the season started Cimini floated this Cousins thing, but I don't think even he mentioned it as a starter, just that the 'skins said "NO!" cause they had just decided to bench RGIII for good

ESPN and NFL Network are reporting the Jets called the skins after the Geno incident...that would be Mac/Bowles.  As another poster referenced, its an unnamed source, so maybe it isn't true.  or maybe it is.  

I am quite sure they called, and I am just as sure that they were not expecting Cousins to be the starter.  They were just looking to protect Petty.  Due diligence was the term thrown around.  I'm sure they probably asked Tampa about Glennon and were either told no or balked at the price (Sorry Villain)

When Geno Smith broke his jaw, #Jets didn’t know how long he was out. One team they called: The #Redskins about trading for Kirk Cousins.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 13, 2015

Jets did their due diligence & made plenty of calls, including to the #Redskins, who wouldn’t talk about trading Cousins. Now we know why. — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 13, 2015

http://riggosrag.com/2015/09/13/report-jets-tried-to-trade-for-kirk-cousins/

You don't make "plenty of calls" when you are targeting your starting QB.  They wanted to protect Petty and were concerned about Fitzpatrick's health.  He had only been back a couple of weeks.

Actually, when Geno got punched there were some articles out saying the Jets worked the phones seeing who was available.  After the season started Cimini floated this Cousins thing, but I don't think even he mentioned it as a starter, just that the 'skins said "NO!" cause they had just decided to bench RGIII for good

I am quite sure they called, and I am just as sure that they were not expecting Cousins to be the starter.  They were just looking to protect Petty.  Due diligence was the term thrown around.  I'm sure they probably asked Tampa about Glennon and were either told no or balked at the price (Sorry Villain)

You don't make "plenty of calls" when you are targeting your starting QB.  They wanted to protect Petty and were concerned about Fitzpatrick's health.  He had only been back a couple of weeks.

Thanks!  Must have missed those stories.  I just remember the one reported that if Quinn came to the Jets, Shanny Jr. and Cousins were part of the deal. 

The only reason I disagree on Cousins, is anyone who makes that call knows the asking price is starting compensation value.  One can sit here and say, "you dont know the asking price," and that's true.  But does anyone think the Jets would get Cousins for a 4th or 5th rd pick when the Skins were deciding between Cousins and Colt McCoy as their starters?  That's not realistic, IMO.  I would say the same for glennon...the asking price is "some place" between a 3rd and 5th...maybe even a #2 that late in the off season.  Yes, I dont know that, some common sense was applied in that assessment, but to me, you dont give up that level of pick that late in the game unless you plan on playing them...eventually.  Just my opinion...no need to pretend Im stating it as "fact," just my opinion.  Hopefully that's clear...

I was suspended for 8 hours (I was actually at the fair with my daughter that day and never even noticed).  I've had the creater of your site send me multiple messages asking me to return, ask Elias if you want.  Funny you bring that up then call me childish.  I have no desire to continue the conversation with this quality of posting as a response, but thanks for the effort.  You found a way to make this topic not worth discussing for me.  Your quality of posting is exactly why I left that sh1tty board.  Thanks for reminding me.

LOL

Interestingly enough, in the 9 years or so I have posted on JN with  my "quality of posting"  I can't ever recall getting into a serious clash with anyone.    Suspect in the month or so you've been here you can't say the same. 

BTW  It wasn't me who banned you.  LOL It was the creator of the site, who you claim is begging you to come back.  

Carry on 

The only reason I disagree on Cousins, is anyone who makes that call knows the asking price is starting compensation value.  One can sit here and say, "you dont know the asking price," and that's true.  But does anyone think the Jets would get Cousins for a 4th or 5th rd pick when the Skins were deciding between Cousins and Colt McCoy as their starters?  That's not realistic, IMO.  I would say the same for glennon...the asking price is "some place" between a 3rd and 5th...maybe even a #2 that late in the off season.  Yes, I dont know that, some common sense was applied in that assessment, but to me, you dont give up that level of pick that late in the game unless you plan on playing them...eventually.  Just my opinion...no need to pretend Im stating it as "fact," just my opinion.  Hopefully that's clear...

Why were the Redskins deciding between Cousins and Colt McCoy as starter?  They didn't name Cousins until September.  The Jets were calling around the 11th of August.  Before they knew how long Geno would be out.  RGIII was the Redskins clear cut starter until he was injured in the 2nd preseason game against the Lions, which was two weeks later.  There was nobody expecting Cousins to start at the time the Jets would have called.  Nobody is "working the phones" for a starting QB.  If they thought Cousins was worth starting over Fitzpatrick they would have gone after him long ago.  I understand it is your opinion, I am just not sure that I can  express how strongly I disagree. 

LOL

Interestingly enough, in the 9 years or so I have posted on JN with  my "quality of posting"  I can't ever recall getting into a serious clash with anyone.    Suspect in the month or so you've been here you can't say the same. 

BTW  It wasn't me who banned you.  LOL It was the creator of the site, who you claim is begging you to come back.  

Carry on 

Who created scout.com?

LOL

Carry on 

Not once actually, not a single time.   But your assumption is well received and inline with the rest of your posts. Glad to hear this site has been blessed with 9 years of posts like the one above.  Lucky them.  You sound like a great contributor and can't wait to read more quality stuff.  Thanks for your contributions historically and in the future, my friend.

Who cares about other sites?  I didn't care about those ****s when I used to post on them.  Let's get back to arguing about backup QBs that are forced to start because there are not 32 starting QBs on earth.

agreed.  I'll stop.  Didn't mean to be annoying.  Above post to be the last. Again, agreed.

we dodged a bullet there because cousins is friggin horrible.  Geno is better than Cousins.

Archived