Is it fair to judge Geno Smith on this one game?

EM31

if we do he gets judged favorably b/c he played pretty well Sunday. if Fitz had the same game you guys would be telling us how great he was.

You should read my other post in this thread. He definitely exceeded expectations. Granted those expectations were pretty low. He is the NFL's Nuke Laloosh

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or Fluke LaDouche..

Everyone knows I  think Geno has a 5 cent head but you can't tell a thing from his performance last game. He was cold, lack of 1st team reps, etc. But the other 30 games tells the story. And it doesn't have a happy ending.

Everyone knows I think Geno has a 5 cent head but you can't tell a thing from his performance last game. He was cold, lack of 1st team reps, etc. But the other 30 games tells the story. And it doesn't have a happy ending.

That's what they said on SNY post game all the physical talent needed but not the brain to use it..

When it comes down to crunch-time, when he needs to have his head not only on the play but on the situation, he can't be relied upon in assuming he knows everything going on around him. I fail to see how this is in any way controversial.

I find it somewhat questionable to blame Chan Gailey for not developing a player who simply can't be developed. Friggin Bill Walsh couldn't make Geno Smith good at football. Especially since Chan didn't pick him. It's not like Geno was his guy and he has a responsibility to make it work. 

I find it somewhat questionable to blame Chan Gailey for not developing a player who simply can't be developed. Friggin Bill Walsh couldn't make Geno Smith good at football. Especially since Chan didn't pick him. It's not like Geno was his guy and he has a responsibility to make it work. 

Well he said in OTC's Geno was the starter before even Bowles said it..

Well he said in OTC's Geno was the starter before even Bowles said it..

if memory serves Fitz was hurt in the offseason and still rehabbing.  So it wasn't that outlandish of a statement.

I'm not comfortable putting the failure that is Geno Smith on Chan Gailey's head. That's a John Idzik thing, all the way. 

Don't put words in my mouth (though I know it's what you do). I am not blaming Gailey for not developing Geno Smith. That was not even alluded to.

People think Geno is dumb it's not true. Geno Smith has always been book smart. In the classroom or taking the wonderlic he's well above average. He's great in the film room.  He works hard. He clearly wants to be a good player. 

When it's live however his brain breaks down and he chokes. You are assuming Geno can respond to instruction and it's on Gailey to give him more. The truth is the 2-3 seconds Geno gets to throw an NFL football during a televised game he can't think properly. He can either fixate on a target or bone it. He's not good in real reps and that's  not something a coach can fix. 

the real truth is you don't have a clue that this is true for today or will be true down the road.  Rodgers without 4 years to learn, never seen on a field his first 4 years may have made the same stupid mistakes Geno made as a 1st or 2nd year player.  To say a player can't get smarter as a player with experience, can't transform into a better player who makes better decisions and fewer mistakes with time is pure bullshlt.  No matter what you say, you don't know this to be fact.  You may be right, you may be wrong.  Doesn't mean any dumb ass player will get it with time, not saying that either.   Until he plays a few games as a supossedly better 3rd year player no one knows.  Though I'll bet the house that some will tell me I'm an idiot and they know based on his past.  Which is dumb as shlt. 

Therefore he needs what we all would like him to have as second nature, and which he does not have. And it is part of Gailey's responsibility to do whatever he needs to while the team is in this non-ideal situation. Not for fans to lament about how Gailey shouldn't have to, and wouldn't have to if only Geno didn't suck.

The truth is he was fine for most of the game. When it comes down to crunch-time, when he needs to have his head not only on the play but on the situation, he can't be relied upon in assuming he knows everything going on around him. I fail to see how this is in any way controversial.

how can you say he was fine for most of the game ?? Even when he does things right like complete a pass there's something wrong. 90 % of his passes are off his back foot because he's afraid to step into passes or step up into the pocket because he has absolutely zero awareness of his surroundings. This tells you at any given time a ball can and will sail on him and get picked. I saw a few good throws where he actually stepped up but that does not constitute "most of the game" every time he threw the ball it felt like an adventure.

the real truth is you don't have a clue that this is true for today or will be true down the road.  Rodgers without 4 years to learn, never seen on a field his first 4 years may have made the same stupid mistakes Geno made as a 1st or 2nd year player.  And to say a player can't get smarter with experience, can't transform into a better player who makes better decisions with time is pure bullshlt.  No matter what you say, you don't know this to be fact.  You may be right, you may be wrong.  Doesn't mean any dumb ass player will get it with time, not saying that either.   Until he plays a few games, no one knows.  Though I'll bet the house that some will tell me I'm an idiot and they know based on his past.  Which is dumb as shlt. 

Rodgers was picked by a team that had no intent on starting him nor did they need too since they had Brett Favre. Not many teams looking for a QB have that luxury. Also just for the record if Aaron Rodgers would have stepped in as a rookie he would have probably lit it up Just like Dan Marino did when he got his chance early his rookie season because they were both surrounded by great skill players on offense. Rodgers sat behind Favre because there was no way in hell any QB drafted was going to start over a HOF QB still playing at a high level.

how can you say he was fine for most of the game ?? Even when he does things right like complete a pass there's something wrong. 90 % of his passes are off his back foot because he's afraid to step into passes or step up into the pocket because he has absolutely zero awareness of his surroundings. This tells you at any given time a ball can and will sail on him and get picked. I saw a few good throws where he actually stepped up but that does not constitute "most of the game" every time he threw the ball it felt like an adventure.

Hes afraid because he's unaware of his surroundings?  Lol, that's a good one.  Not sure what's funnier that line or that he threw off his back foot 90% of the time

Hes afraid because he's unaware of his surroundings?  Lol, that's a good one.  Not sure what's funnier that line or that he threw off his back foot 90% of the time

Lol that's a good one ??? Do you even pay attention to what the QB is doing or do you just wait for the ball to be thrown while oblivious to what's actually going on ?? If you can't see Geno has zero pocket awareness and constantly throws off his back foot then don't bother responding to my posts or just put me on ignore. You really have no clue as to whats going on with the QB position. 

People think Geno is dumb it's not true. Geno Smith has always been book smart. In the classroom or taking the wonderlic he's well above average. He's great in the film room.  He works hard. He clearly wants to be a good player. 

When it's live however his brain breaks down and he chokes. You are assuming Geno can respond to instruction and it's on Gailey to give him more. The truth is the 2-3 seconds Geno gets to throw an NFL football during a televised game he can't think properly. He can either fixate on a target or bone it. He's not good in real reps and that's  not something a coach can fix. 

This is pretty much why most QB's fail its called pressure and some players are just not equipped to deal with it. As an NFL QB, even vs the bad teams, you have a window of time to get rid of the football and its not a very big window. While in that time you have multiple things to deal with. Knowing every Receiver Route, knowing the protections at the line, scanning the defense pre snap and post snap, then when the ball is snapped pocket awareness become a factor. That's a lot for a player to do in a short period of time and that's why QB's usually revert back to bad habits it all comes down to how your brain processes this stuff and if that was not bad enough that time gets cut virtually in half vs the high pressure defenses. This is a really difficult position to play, probably the hardest in all of sports and very few really succeed.

A good system is half the battle and having the luxury of being in the same system for 15 years (Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees) helps most plays become second nature. Once again not many QB have this luxury.

Example Peyton Manning is obviously one of the best QB's in the History of the game. For the most part his entire career has been the same system and in his later years Im sure he was directing and calling most of his plays at the LOS. That all changed this year with Kubiak and Peyton is obviously been struggling. We know hes great but its proof that change is very difficult to adapt to in the NFL as a QB now imagine what rookies have to process.

Certainly its not fair to say Geno is dumb...he's not dumb he just can't process all that information . Its not that he does not want too or does not put in the work hes just not wired to be an effective NFL QB at some stage he's going to falter I mean can you Imagine Geno Smith facing the Denver Defense after what they just did to Aaron Rodgers ?

Lol that's a good one ??? Do you even pay attention to what the QB is doing or do you just wait for the ball to be thrown while oblivious to what's actually going on ?? If you can't see Geno has zero pocket awareness and constantly throws off his back foot then don't bother responding to my posts or just put me on ignore. You really have no clue as to whats going on with the QB position. 

Jet Nut is to awareness what Geno is to awareness.

Don't put words in my mouth (though I know it's what you do). I am not blaming Gailey for not developing Geno Smith. That was not even alluded to.

what exactly are you blaming Chan Gailey for? Not reminding Geno enough? That sounds like development bro 

You're more fixated on how he looks than what he does on the field.  Saying he's afraid is pure BS you're making up.  You or any of us don't have a clue what he is or isnt afraid of. Cam Newton throws off his back foot all the time.  Is he afraid too?  Cutler?  Sometimes its due to injury, you don't know.  I'm oblivious?  While youre at it, how the hell can you be afraid of what youre unaware of?  At least I'm not making sh*t up because I hate someone who played well especially given the circumstances and keep looking for things to b1tch about. You said 90% of his passes are off his back foot.  Nonsense.  What did Gannon say it once on a throw and you ran with it a day later?  Thats pure BS, every QB throws off his back foot from time to time.  

You hate Geno and probably shlt yourself when he played a decent game.  I get it.  So that he off his back foot still can throw harder and further than Fitz has you searching.  And don't ever tell anyone that they have no clue when it comes to the QB position. 

the real truth is you don't have a clue that this is true for today or will be true down the road.  To say a player can't get smarter as a player with experience, can't transform into a better player who makes better decisions and fewer mistakes with time is pure bullshlt. 

This is why people buy lottery tickets but it's a horrible way to manage a team.

You're more fixated on how he looks than what he does on the field.  Saying he's afraid is pure BS you're making up.  You or any of us don't have a clue what he is or isnt afraid of. Cam Newton throws off his back foot all the time.  Is he afraid too?  Cutler?  Sometimes its due to injury, you don't know.  I'm oblivious?  While youre at it, how the hell can you be afraid of what youre unaware of?  At least I'm not making sh*t up because I hate someone who played well especially given the circumstances and keep looking for things to b1tch about. You said 90% of his passes are off his back foot.  Nonsense.  What did Gannon say it once on a throw and you ran with it a day later?  Thats pure BS, every QB throws off his back foot from time to time.  

You hate Geno and probably shlt yourself when he played a decent game.  I get it.  So that he off his back foot still can throw harder and further than Fitz has you searching.  And don't ever tell anyone that they have no clue when it comes to the QB position. 

LOL I don't give a damn what Gannon said and by you bringing that up it tells me your relying on what a color commentator has to say rather than watching the actual game and coming to your own conclusions. Geno plays scared, his first option rather than stepping up into the pocket (which might actually remedy him throwing off his back foot) is to scramble therefore destroying the pocket his OL just created for him to step up into. You really need to watch real QB 's play then have a good long look at Geno . You should have watched more of Fitz actually stepping into the pocket keeping his eyes downfield rather than scrambling backward into the teeth of the outside rush. Ever wonder why Fitz was sacked so few times and as soon as Geno gets in there he's under intense pressure ? Guess that's just coincidence in your world right ?

Warfish was right you really have no way to back up any of your claims. You argue with no substance and when you do argue its ridiculous nonsense like Geno still throws harder off his back foot than Fitz does stepping in. That's a childish comeback and it further proves you have no idea what's going on with our QB's

LOL I don't give a damn what Gannon said and by you bringing that up it tells me your relying on what a color commentator has to say rather than watching the actual game and coming to your own conclusions. Geno plays scared, his first option rather than stepping up into the pocket (which might actually remedy him throwing off his back foot) is to scramble therefore destroying the pocket his OL just created for him to step up into. You really need to watch real QB 's play then have a good long look at Geno . You should have watched more of Fitz actually stepping into the pocket keeping his eyes downfield rather than scrambling backward into the teeth of the outside rush. Ever wonder why Fitz was sacked so few times and as soon as Geno gets in there he's under intense pressure ? Guess that's just coincidence in your world right ?

Warfish was right you really have no way to back up any of your claims. You argue with no substance and when you do argue its ridiculous nonsense like Geno still throws harder off his back foot than Fitz does stepping in. That's a childish comeback and it further proves you have no idea what's going on with our QB's

No.  He has a forcefield in his beard that prevents most sack attempts.  DUH.

You know, for someone who excused every mind-numbing, butt-fumbling facepalm mistake Mark Sanchez made for half a decade, you're awfully hard on someone acknowledged as a bad, backup QB coming in cold off the bench, who didn't even see one snap of live action in one preseason game.

Whether or not you considered it an adventure, and despite his late-game Genoisms (and be honest we were going to lose anyway with all the crap the defense coughed up), he played fine for most of the game and at one point had completed 13 attempts in a row. That doesn't make him good, or even an adequate QB. It means given who he is and given the circumstances, he did fine.

Our stud RB Chris Ivory carried the ball 15 times for 17 yards. The defense gave up 4 TDs, 2 FGs, and we're lucky it wasn't one more. We had a backup center in, Ferguson played like he didn't feel like blocking was his responsibility, and there were certainly some questionable play calls. That type of "help" would have earned Sanchez - or Fitzpatrick - a gold star from you for a home run try in the face of adversity.

He was fine for most of the game. Not awesome, and certainly not fine for the entire the game. Better than expected for most of the game, and exactly as expected at the end of the game.

You blockhead.

You know, for someone who excused every mind-numbing, butt-fumbling facepalm mistake Mark Sanchez made for half a decade, you're awfully hard on someone acknowledged as a bad, backup QB coming in cold off the bench, who didn't even see one snap of live action in one preseason game.

Whether or not you considered it an adventure, and despite his late-game Genoisms (and be honest we were going to lose anyway with all the crap the defense coughed up), he played fine for most of the game and at one point had completed 13 attempts in a row. That doesn't make him good, or even an adequate QB. It means given who he is and given the circumstances, he did fine.

Our stud RB Chris Ivory carried the ball 15 times for 17 yards. The defense gave up 4 TDs, 2 FGs, and we're lucky it wasn't one more. We had a backup center in, Ferguson played like he didn't feel like blocking was his responsibility, and there were certainly some questionable play calls. That type of "help" would have earned Sanchez - or Fitzpatrick - a gold star from you for a home run try in the face of adversity.

He was fine for most of the game. Not awesome, and certainly not fine for the entire the game. Better than expected for most of the game, and exactly as expected at the end of the game.

You blockhead.

hey dingbat :)

I never said Sanchez was playing good because most of the time he did not. That was never the argument. I saw some qualities in Sanchez I do not see in Geno and that had more to do with mechanics . Sanchez however still had the same problems as Geno when it came to pocket awareness and turnovers. I thought with a better cast around him he could do well . Excuse me for being optimistic. Geno has way more faults than Sanchez and I've been pointing out those faults for a while now.

Its amazing you have to step into the middle of an argument about Geno Smith and bring up Mark Sanchez. I admitted I was wrong an maybe Sanchez will never turn on the light but that's a different argument so why do we need to revisit ? Do you think because I was wrong about Sanchez it makes you a QB guru to now question me on obvious flaws in Geno's game ? Bottom line Geno stinks

Therefore he needs what we all would like him to have as second nature, and which he does not have. And it is part of Gailey's responsibility to do whatever he needs to while the team is in this non-ideal situation. Not for fans to lament about how Gailey shouldn't have to, and wouldn't have to if only Geno didn't suck.

The truth is he was fine for most of the game. When it comes down to crunch-time, when he needs to have his head not only on the play but on the situation, he can't be relied upon in assuming he knows everything going on around him. I fail to see how this is in any way controversial.

Geno is remarkably immature. Remarkably.

Gannon was an excuse for your baseless comment.  You want to stick it on yourself, fine. 

Geno doesnt play scared, do you watch the games?  Did he play scared when he ran down the sideline and went for the extra yard instead of running OB?  Again, you make shlt up to back your imaginary point. 

Why don't you stop with the crystal ball BS thats out of your reach and discuss what he did.  You blew smoke out of your ass when you stroked everyone and said if Fitz shlts the bed or is injured you'd support the Jets starting QB.  Now you're just making shlt up to back an cliche.  As for Warfish, you want to agree with his demand that I find cases where a decent QB was picked up from another team, that it never happened before, good for you.  But while youre at it, this started with your contention that Geno, who cares how he played, throws off his back foot 90% of the time.  Prove it, end the argument instead of saying I dont understand the position.  Prove yourself right, prove the number was 90% of the time and I'll apologize.  

You think I'm being childish for saying you don't know that Geno is scared?  Thats childish?  And you want me to back up the claim that none of know if he is scared or not?  I'm childish?  Come up with something that can be backed up, like other than the two bad plays where Geno ran out of bounds he was sacked once, not often compared to Fitz as you said.  More BS thrown on the wall.

Gannon was an excuse for your baseless comment.  You want to stick it on yourself, fine. 

Geno doesnt play scared, do you watch the games?  Did he play scared when he ran down the sideline and went for the extra yard instead of running OB?  Again, you make shlt up to back your imaginary point. 

Nope that would be playing STUPID

Why don't you stop with the crystal ball BS thats out of your reach and discuss what he did.  You blew smoke out of your ass when you stroked everyone and said if Fitz shlts the bed or is injured you'd support the Jets starting QB.  Now you're just making shlt up to back an cliche.  As for Warfish, you want to agree with his demand that I find cases where a decent QB was picked up from another team, that it never happened before, good for you.  But while youre at it, this started with your contention that Geno, who cares how he played, throws off his back foot 90% of the time.  Prove it, end the argument instead of saying I dont understand the position.  Prove yourself right, prove the number was 90% of the time and I'll apologize.

In the case of what Warfish said I was NOT getting into that specific argument I was applying his observation of you to other arguments. Reading comprehension is not you're strong suit is it ? 

You think I'm being childish for saying you don't know that Geno is scared?  Thats childish?  And you want me to back up the claim that none of know if he is scared or not?  I'm childish?  Come up with something that can be backed up, like other than the two bad plays where Geno ran out of bounds he was sacked once, not often compared to Fitz as you said.  More BS thrown on the wall.

If you read the exact Quote below my reason for calling you childish had NOTHING  to do at all with what your saying here.

"You argue with no substance and when you do argue its ridiculous nonsense like Geno still throws harder off his back foot than Fitz does stepping in. That's a childish comeback and it further proves you have no idea what's going on with our QB's"

My responses to you're gibberish are in red above. You give no reasons in any of your ridiculous comments as to why Geno has even a remote chance to become a serviceable QB . You seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing . We have a 2 year sample size of Geno Smith And while he did come off the bench cold I will give you that portion of the argument he still made the same dumb mistakes and he still shows the same exact tendencies he showed as a rookie. While I expect a cold QB to have timing and accuracy issues I do at some stage expect him to not make the same dumb mistakes I would criticize a high school player for making. A QB is judged by his ability to play clutch in tough situations at the end of games not run out of bounds and not realize the clock was still running.

hey dingbat :)

I never said Sanchez was playing good because most of the time he did not. That was never the argument. I saw some qualities in Sanchez I do not see in Geno and that had more to do with mechanics . Sanchez however still had the same problems as Geno when it came to pocket awareness and turnovers. I thought with a better cast around him he could do well . Excuse me for being optimistic. Geno has way more faults than Sanchez and I've been pointing out those faults for a while now.

Its amazing you have to step into the middle of an argument about Geno Smith and bring up Mark Sanchez. I admitted I was wrong an maybe Sanchez will never turn on the light but that's a different argument so why do we need to revisit ? Do you think because I was wrong about Sanchez it makes you a QB guru to now question me on obvious flaws in Geno's game ? Bottom line Geno stinks

Yawn. I didn't say he was a good QB. I said for most of this past game he did fine. 

You need a nap. And some truth serum. 

Geno hater saying someone cannot back up his stance when there is never anything substantive  except blind hatred of Geno. Ironic

My responses to you're gibberish are in red above. You give no reasons in any of your ridiculous comments as to why Geno has even a remote chance to become a serviceable QB . You seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing . We have a 2 year sample size of Geno Smith And while he did come off the bench cold I will give you that portion of the argument he still made the same dumb mistakes and he still shows the same exact tendencies he showed as a rookie. While I expect a cold QB to have timing and accuracy issues I do at some stage expect him to not make the same dumb mistakes I would criticize a high school player for making. A QB is judged by his ability to play clutch in tough situations at the end of games not run out of bounds and not realize the clock was still running.

you're 100 % right, he was bad as a rookie.  Improved in his second year.  All of which, combined with what we know about sports and life translates into he will never improve further.  Because you have spoken.  And once ago proven to all that you just hate him and no matter what he does will find something to b1tch about.  Just admit it and move on.  Don't stroke us with the "if he has to play I'll root for him bullshlt".   You can't stop, keep repeating yourself over and over again.  He threw 90% of his passes off his back foot, made mistakes, blah, blah, blah.  I bet you high fived everyone when he threw his pick.  You can't stop, amazing how someone like you when stuck without a response or substantive answer strikes back "you're childish" lol, grow up  

Archived