Huge shout out to Fitzy!

Jetster

It's because you have people in this thread acting as if yesterday was some virtuoso performance that once and for all ends the debate..  It's annoying.

The Jaguars are a terrible D...  I don't care what you say I still think Geno would have dropped 30 on them. 

They're the best team in league vs. the run.  The Jets ran the ball 29 times at 1.1 ypc.   Fitzmagic is the only reason they gained any positive yardage yesterday. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're the best team in league vs. the run.  The Jets ran the ball 29 times at 1.1 ypc.   Fitzmagic is the only reason they gained any positive yardage yesterday. 

the best team in the league vs the run according to who? I remember Tampa running all over them a couple weeks ago

yeah they would have completely stymied any mortal QB.. 

Fitzy though, being the god that he is, was about to carve up their pass defense to the tune of 200 yards and 2 incredible TD's..  rivaled the Brees/Eli battle from last week.

He sees Fitz and sees Pennington.  That's the reason for his idiotic arguments.  Fitz has shown 100X more heart than Pennington ever did.  The team trusts him and he's not shrinking during tough circumstances.  That's the type of QB we've wanted for a while, yet he's sad because we don't have an elite QB.  Tough sh*t, 20 other teams in the league have a similar problem.

The comparison is so ridiculous, I'm bowing out of this one.  I cant even believe I'm in this argument right now with him. He's on the same page as Pac in a QB argument. Enough said.  And Pac, the biggest Pennington fan of all, flames Fitz (who is 20x better) every chance he gets.

Bizzaro world.  I go to another thread now.  Have fun. bye bye

yeah they would have completely stymied any mortal QB.. 

Fitzy though, being the god that he is, was about to carve up their pass defense to the tune of 200 yards and 2 incredible TD's..  rivaled the Brees/Eli battle from last week.

Just the fact that you have to compare Fitz to two Super Bowl-winning QB's (one headed for the HOF and the other a borderline HOFer) tells me all I need to know about where this debate has led. 

But keep dreaming about what you think Geno would do. 

the best team in the league vs the run according to who? I remember Tampa running all over them a couple weeks ago

They hold teams to 3.2 ypc, best in the league and top 5 in yards allowed on the ground.  Therefore, they're the best or one of the best in the league vs. the run. 

They hold teams to 3.2 ypc, best in the league and top 5 in yards allowed on the ground.  Therefore, they're the best or one of the best in the league vs. the run. 

actually they are 7th in yards rushing yards allowed per game. That is not "the best in the league"

actually they are 7th in yards rushing yards allowed per game. That is not "the best in the league"

No, that is just the default sort order that comes up there.  

YPC avg is a truer statistic than total yards given up.  3.2 YPC puts them at the top of the heap in terms of run defense.

The basic point here is that they are a really really good defense for stopping the run and that point is solidly supported by the evidence.

Fitzpatrick's best attributes are his intelligence (obviously), and the fact that he plays like he's on beta-blockers. He's an extension of Bowles on the field, even if Bowles isn't all that involved in the offense. Extremely even keeled, never seems to get rattled. Doesn't get too high or too low. 

Physically, he's very limited. His arm just isn't there, and that allows teams to flood the box knowing that he can't throw beyond it. But mentally -intellectually and maturity-wise- he's just so far beyond Sanchez and Geno that it's hard not to be excited about the guy even if he never gets excited himself. I'd be very happy to sign him for a respectable contract (2 years, $8M?) all the while hoping that Petty, Geno, or QB X beats him out as the starter next year. He'd be an extremely valuable backup, and I'm still surprised the Texans gave him away for a string of beads. 

Fitzpatrick's best attributes are his intelligence (obviously), and the fact that he plays like he's on beta-blockers. He's an extension of Bowles on the field, even if Bowles isn't all that involved in the offense. Extremely even keeled, never seems to get rattled. Doesn't get too high or too low. 

Physically, he's very limited. His arm just isn't there, and that allows teams to flood the box knowing that he can't throw beyond it. But mentally -intellectually and maturity-wise- he's just so far beyond Sanchez and Geno that it's hard not to be excited about the guy even if he never gets excited himself. I'd be very happy to sign him for a respectable contract (2 years, $8M?) all the while hoping that Petty, Geno, or QB X beats him out as the starter next year. He'd be an extremely valuable backup, and I'm still surprised the Texans gave him away for a string of beads. 

I think 2 years for 8M is a pipe dream.  He is going to get more than that.  Unless you meant 2 years at 8M per season.

Given what Hoyer got this year and the kind of year Fitzpatrick is having I am thinking the market for a solid veteran might go to 15M over two years.

No, that is just the default sort order that comes up there.  

YPC avg is a truer statistic than total yards given up.  3.2 YPC puts them at the top of the heap in terms of run defense.

how is that a truer statistic? If the jags D faces a lot of goal line and short yardage situations of course their YPC would be low. Only 6 teams have given up more rushing TD this season than Jacksonville this season

how is that a truer statistic? If the jags D faces a lot of goal line and short yardage situations of course their YPC would be low. Only 6 teams have given up more rushing TD this season than Jacksonville this season

Earth to planet cant wait... 

If you have any evidence, any evidence at all to suggest the Jacksonville faces so many goal line and short yardage situations that it pushes their run defense YPC into the stratosphere...... if you have any evidence at all to support this bizarre theory then please provide it.

I think 2 years for 8M is a pipe dream.  He is going to get more than that.  Unless you meant 2 years at 8M per season.

Given what Hoyer got this year and the kind of year Fitzpatrick is having I am thinking the market for a solid veteran might go to 15M over two years.

hahahahaha no team is stupid enough to pay Fitzpatrick that kind of money. Okay maybe the bills, but let's not try to emulate them please

hahahahaha no team is stupid enough to pay Fitzpatrick that kind of money. Okay maybe the bills, but let's not try to emulate them please

Do you feel that Fitzpatrick has outperformed his 3M contract this year and if so by how much?

If you don't think that there are going to be GMs around the league willing to overpay for a security blanket then you don't know very much about football.

Earth to planet cant wait... 

If you have any evidence, any evidence at all to suggest the Jacksonville faces so many goal line and short yardage situations that it pushes their run defense YPC into the stratosphere...... if you have any evidence at all to support this bizarre theory then please provide it.

sorry the statistical evidence doesn't support your "conquering hero", fanboy

Do you feel that Fitzpatrick has outperformed his 3M contract this year and if so by how much?

If you don't think that there are going to be GMs around the league willing to overpay for a security blanket then you don't know very much about football.

no, and no. Maybe if fitzy finishes the year better than he has ever done in his career, but I don't see it happening. Maybe the Browns, but I think they'd like to upgrade at QB not take on another career loser

i think his physical limitations aren't as limiting as they're made out to be.  he threw a few nice longer passes yesterday, the cumberland catch, the tompkins catch, the one to decker in the beginning.  he doesn't need to put the ball 40 yards in the air to score.  they've scored 200 points in 8 games, 25 per game.  that's enough to make the playoffs.  13 tds and 7 picks.  he should remain the starter until they find someone better.  this means entering next year as the starter as well, with petty as the backup.  i know fitz may have the surgery and hopefully he doesn't miss games, but i can't see mccagnan letting fitz walk and then entering TC next year with geno, petty and some guy they took in the 2nd or 3rd round.  it wouldn't make any sense.

i think his physical limitations aren't as limiting as they're made out to be.  he threw a few nice longer passes yesterday, the cumberland catch, the tompkins catch, the one to decker in the beginning.  he doesn't need to put the ball 40 yards in the air to score.  they've scored 200 points in 8 games, 25 per game.  that's enough to make the playoffs.  13 tds and 7 picks.  he should remain the starter until they find someone better.  this means entering next year as the starter as well, with petty as the backup.  i know fitz may have the surgery and hopefully he doesn't miss games, but i can't see mccagnan letting fitz walk and then entering TC next year with geno, petty and some guy they took in the 2nd or 3rd round.  it wouldn't make any sense.

there will be plenty of other options besides fitzy and geno next offseason

Worth noting that going into yesterday Fitz was top 15 in both DYAR and DVOA, and it's usually after the week 7 or 8 mark that their numbers start to gain traction on a season-wide basis. My guess is he actually takes a bump when tomorrow's numbers drop due to another game of no turnovers.

If only the guy had an arm.

Worth noting that going into yesterday Fitz was top 15 in both DYAR and DVOA, and it's usually after the week 7 or 8 mark that their numbers start to gain traction on a season-wide basis. My guess is he actually takes a bump when tomorrow's numbers drop due to another game of no turnovers.

If only the guy had an arm.

oh he's top 15 in DYAR?

I take it all back - he's amazing.

What do you project Geno's imaginary DYAR to be with him under center all 8 games?  That's really the only relevant part of this debate.  Has to be top 5 in the league.  Has to be.

I don't know or care what DYAR is..  I was just having a little laugh.

The question I will ask - in our losses was the QB most responsible for them- the answer is no. Fitzy is doing a nice job running the team and not making so many mistakes as previous guys did that hampered us.

oh he's top 15 in DYAR?

I take it all back - he's amazing.

For comparison's sake, these are measures that the Jets have historically placed close to or below 30th.

It's not amazing, it's not horrible. Not good, not bad. And it's still a bit early to rely on the numbers projecting anything for the rest of the season, but their measures remain most constant after week 8.

Archived