Can we re-sign Wilkerson?

Freemanm

We have Sheldon, snacks, and Williams. Are any as good as Wilk? Probably not. Are they very good? Absolutely, most 3-4 teams would drool for that trio. We can turn Mo into a 1st round pick and help the offense, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have Sheldon, snacks, and Williams. Are any as good as Wilk? Probably not. Are they very good? Absolutely, most 3-4 teams would drool for that trio. We can turn Mo into a 1st round pick and help the offense, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon may be better ... But there's risk due to the off the field $h*t ... I love both & to see them both long term in green & white ... However I believe only 1 will get the longterm deal .  We have enough weaknesses now or soon that Big Mac will work something out trading one of them before the end of next season

Is Mohammed Wilkerson worth JJ Watt Money to the NY Jets?  That is the first question that should be asked.  JJ Watt is clearly a more productive player, statistically, but arguing the value of one player to one organization to that of another player to another organization is futile.  Is Mo worth Watt money to keep him with the NY Jets?  That is the question the Front Office needs to answer.  

The second question, assuming he isn't worth Watt money to the NY Jets, would have to be what is he worth to the NY Jets.  Does having the potential of Sheldon Richardson and/or Leonard Williams truly give them any negotiation power or wiggle room?

The third, and maybe the most relevant question, is signing Wilkerson to a lucrative and long term contract greater value to the NY Jets than what he could bring in compensation from another team that is willing to give him Watt / Suh money?  If Wilkerson ends up with the Franchise Tag, and the NY Jets are offered two first round picks, or a First and a second, or...

Personally, I would look to move him if his demands are any greater than, the percentage to the cap, that of Calais Campbell / Cameron Heyward / Cameron Jordan contracts were when they signed their respective contracts  

Helps him how much?  He was good, got similar accolades before those additions to the line.  

I don't think we can know how much help they provide.  

He took off when Sheldon was drafted in 2013 prior to that he has 8 sacks starting 31 games..Coples who everyone considered a bust had 10 his first 2 years starting 15 games.. Funny with all his accolades he never made a Pro Bowl .. Look I like Mo allot but this notch below

Is Mohammed Wilkerson worth JJ Watt Money to the NY Jets?  That is the first question that should be asked.  JJ Watt is clearly a more productive player, statistically, but arguing the value of one player to one organization to that of another player to another organization is futile.  Is Mo worth Watt money to keep him with the NY Jets?  That is the question the Front Office needs to answer.  

The second question, assuming he isn't worth Watt money to the NY Jets, would have to be what is he worth to the NY Jets.  Does having the potential of Sheldon Richardson and/or Leonard Williams truly give them any negotiation power or wiggle room?

The third, and maybe the most relevant question, is signing Wilkerson to a lucrative and long term contract greater value to the NY Jets than what he could bring in compensation from another team that is willing to give him Watt / Suh money?  If Wilkerson ends up with the Franchise Tag, and the NY Jets are offered two first round picks, or a First and a second, or...

Personally, I would look to move him if his demands are any greater than, the percentage to the cap, that of Calais Campbell / Cameron Heyward / Cameron Jordan contracts were when they signed their respective contracts  

Those guys are at between 10.5 million to 11 million..

I think between Mo, Snacks, and Sheldon, the team is going to have to let one of them go.  They won't be able to keep them all.  I think this off-season they will franchise Mo, it just makes too much sense for the franchise, because it buys them more time to both rejuvenate the linebacker position and also to determine if they can rely on Sheldon long-term.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "Who was Leonard Williams drafted to replace?"  Hurts to say it but I think it's Mo.  I think his skill-set is more similar to Mo, though he doesn't quite have Mo's ultra-freakishly long arms.  Williams doesn't quite penetrate with the brute force of Snacks, and he's not really as versatile as Sheldon.

Sheldon is a special player and if he can keep his act together I want him to be here long-term.  I just hope he stays out of trouble and doesn't get a huge suspension next year.

Snacks is a bit of a wild-card.  Common sense says he will probably get a big offer from some team looking to fix their run defense.  But if nobody aggressively bids, markets for a 2 down player are tougher to gauge.  Maybe they get him for $6-7 million per year?

After 2016, Mo will probably walk and hopefully by then Leonard Williams will be an elite player, starting on the d-line with Sheldon and Snacks.

Mo will probably get $15-16 million per year somewhere else.  He is one of the few d-linemen in the NFL who can excel playing anywhere between a 0-7 technique.  I wouldn't say he takes over games like JJ Watt but he's right below him in the rankings.

we better be able to, the jets cannot afford to lose our best player for nothing. either lock him up or package him in a trade for a starting QB

I'm sorry but what team is trading a starting QB for a defensive lineman? They'll franchise him and explore his asking price. If they can find an accord, they'll do it. If they can't they'll trade him for draft picks. Player for player trades are few and far between. 

I'm sorry but what team is trading a starting QB for a defensive lineman? They'll franchise him and explore his asking price. />

You are correct on two points.

1). No team would ever trade a good starting QB for a Dlineman.

2). Jets can always slap the tag on him, but they would be better off signing him to a long-term deal.

I'm sorry but what team is trading a starting QB for a defensive lineman? They'll franchise him and explore his asking price. If they can find an accord, they'll do it. If they can't they'll trade him for draft picks. Player for player trades are few and far between. 

the jets are not trading mo wilk, he's too good.  you don't trade DLs who get double digit sacks and are just entering their prime.  they will look to trade sheldon and use the bounty to improve the offense which needs way more work than the defense does this offseason.  

You are correct on two points.

1). No team would ever trade a good starting QB for a Dlineman.

2). Jets can always slap the tag on him, but they would be better off signing him to a long-term deal.

As far as sacks go the Pats Chandler Jones has only 2 and a half sacks less then Mo..But then Mo has played in 22 more games..:)

the jets are not trading mo wilk, he's too good.  you don't trade DLs who get double digit sacks and are just entering their prime.  they will look to trade sheldon and use the bounty to improve the offense which needs way more work than the defense does this offseason.  

The offense has plenty of needs and so does the defense. Let's not delude ourselves. And who is paying a bounty for a guy who is going to get suspended and probably is one strike away from a season ban? Do you really think some team is that dumb?

I don't even know what you are talking about. Pretty much the entire planet was loudly proclaiming the Suh contract to be an aberration the day it was announced. Don't come here now with your revisionist history to claim that it was not happening now that it has become clear that people were right. The fact that this does not align with your current arguments about Wilkerson is just too bad. He is not worth 14M per year and if that is what he wants then we move him for other assets and go with what we have on the DL. At some price every player on the planet becomes too expensive and Mo Wilkerson is not even on the same continent as a JJ Watt.  Nor should he be.

revisionist history?  Find me more than 4pi fed that had Suhs deal labels a aberation.  Are you making shlt up as you go along?  Every big or biggest ever contract gets scrutinized but no one called it an aberation.   

Just piss off, you're too arrogant for your own good.  Why is it the most clueless play the superiority game so often.  We're like 2 mil per off and I have an agenda to make it align whatever?  You're a numbnut 

Put me on ignore or just leave my posts for others.  

ill do the same with your childish posts. 

Then the real dumb point, Mo according to you is ok at 12-13 mil, not worth 1 mil more I put him at.  Then the supreme being attitude starts.  The final word has spoken, lol GFY.  Only an idiot, SOJF would argue that Mo isn't on the same continent as Watt so his FA numbers shouldn't be close to Watts contract.  

you really are an arrogant fool who has to make to take similar opinions into a bullshlt riddled  argument.  Put me on ignore, you're just tiring

revisionist history?  Find me more than 4pi fed that had Suhs deal labels a aberation.  Are you making shlt up as you go along?  Every big or biggest ever contract gets scrutinized but no one called it an aberation.   

Just piss off, you're too arrogant for your own good.  Why is it the most clueless play the superiority game so often.  We're like 2 mil per off and I have an agenda to make it align whatever?  You're a numbnut 

Put me on ignore or just leave my posts for others.  

ill do the same with your childish posts. 

Then the real dumb point, Mo according to you is ok at 12-13 mil, not worth 1 mil more I put him at.  Then the supreme being attitude starts.  The final word has spoken, lol GFY.  Only an idiot, SOJF would argue that Mo isn't on the same continent as Watt so his FA numbers shouldn't be close to Watts contract.  

you really are an arrogant fool who has to make to take similar opinions into a bullshlt riddled  argument.  Put me on ignore, you're just tiring

You made the claim that " No one thought it was an aberration when he signed the deal.".  My recollection when the deal was announced that everyone thought Miami either overpaid or massively overpaid for Suh,  This was all before his play on the field became so poor.  Hardly the fact that "no one" thought "aberration" about the Suh contract.

The rest is you pushing out hot air.

You made the claim that " No one thought it was an aberration when he signed the deal.".  My recollection when the deal was announced that everyone thought Miami either overpaid or massively overpaid for Suh,  This was all before his play on the field became so poor.  Hardly the fact that "no one" thought "aberration" about the Suh contract.

The rest is you pushing out hot air.

marcel dareus just got close to the same deal from buffalo so it's clear that's what market value for a top 3 DT is now

marcel dareus just got close to the same deal from buffalo so it's clear that's what market value for a top 3 DT is now

The difference between 19M and 15M.  20M less overall than the Suh contract which I am sure influenced it.  The Suh deal is 20% more than Dareus per year

Archived