Stuck in Cap Hell, Dolphins attempting to extend Cameron Wake's contract

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636979/article/dolphins-in-talks-to-extend-cameron-wakes-contract

Dolphins in talks to extend Cameron Wake's contract

The Miami Dolphins are trying to make moves to free up salary-cap space.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday the Dolphins are in talks to extend defensive end Cameron Wake's contract before the new league year, according to two sources informed of the situation.

The 34 year old -- coming off an Achilles injury -- is set to count $9.8 million against the cap in the final year of his contract. Per Rapoport, the Dolphins have made it clear they want Wake as part of their team, as a face of their defense and one of the faces of the franchise. They've talked about a new deal, and the two sides will dig in at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis next week. The hope is to get a deal before the league year begins March 9.

Lowering Wake's cap number would help enable Miami to possibly franchise tag defensive end Olivier Vernon -- the deadline to tag a player is March 1. The Dolphins' focus in recent weeks has been on clearing enough cap space to lock down Vernon, one of the top defensive players set to hit the open market. Restructuring Ndamukong Suh's mega-deal is another possibility that has been reported.

Miami is currently slated to have under $9 million in cap space, per OverTheCap.com. The estimated franchise tag for defensive ends is $15.4 million.

Extending Wake and franchise tagging Vernon would enable Miami to keep its star-studded defensive line in tact for 2016.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Restructuring is so lame. Now they'll be stuck with trash players like Wake and Suh instead of being able to do other stuff like build a cheaper roster that is cheaper.

I agree.  It's a lot of fun being the league's most expensive 7-9 team.  Tannenbaum is doing the lord's work down there.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree.  It's a lot of fun being the league's most expensive 7-9 team.  Tannenbaum is doing the lord's work down there.

True, being an expensive 7-9, scientifically, is worse than being a cheap 7-9 because you no longer qualify for the Salary Cap Bowl. Plus, everyone knows in the NFL that, if you spend, you are now locked into one record with those players. Sprinkle in that science says a team should always have lots of cap space but no urge to actually use it - raises ticket prices or something.

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

True, being an expensive 7-9, scientifically, is worse than being a cheap 7-9 because you no longer for the Salary Cap Bowl. Plus, everyone knows in the NFL that, if you spend, you are now locked into one record with those olayers. Sprinkle in that science says a team should always have lots of cap space but no urge to actually use it - raises ticket prices or something.

The Tannenbaum school of spending, despite your opinions otherwise, actually does hurt a franchise.  A series of poor spending decisions will always push a franchise back several years from being in contention. 

So yes, I'd rather be a cheap 7-9 team with flexibility to make moves than an expensive 7-9 team that needs to make all kinds of contract restructures just to field a competitive team because Ryan Tannehill and Suh were handed 2 of the most ill-advised contracts in all of football.

Know what handing bad QB's big contracts also does?  It forces you to double down and not actually get a real QB until its too late.  Like the Jets did when Tannenbaum handed Sanchez a contract extension.  Maybe if we had just let Sanchez play out the string of his contract, we'd have been more willing to draft Russell Wilson.  Instead we were "locked in".

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Tannenbaum school of spending, despite your opinions otherwise, actually does hurt a franchise. 

Yeah, I've made no such comments. Not sure of you've noticed over the years, but everything involving teams spending money in sports is painted as something that will hurt the franchise. 

What you refer to as "flexibility" is actually an absence of talent, which doesn't make for practical flexibility at all.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Yeah, I've made no such comments. Not sure of you've noticed over the years, but everything involving teams spending money in sports is painted as something that will hurt the franchise. 

What you refer to as "flexibility" is actually an absence of talent, which doesn't make for practical flexibility at all.

The absence of talent is due to paying lots of money to the wrong players, thus thinning out your ability to build an effective bottom and middle of the roster.  Top-heavy spending teams, especially those without a QB, are in rough shape.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The absence of talent is due to paying lots of money to the wrong players, thus thinning out your ability to build an effective bottom and middle of the roster.  Top-heavy spending teams, especially those without a QB, are in rough shape.

The absense of talent, especially at the middle and bottom of a roster, sounds like a draft issue and 9/10 times probably is a draft issue. EVERYONE without a QB is in rough shape, so even a mediocre one like Tannehill should rouse a franchise to do some spending and roster building. It would not be practical or smart for 24 NFL franchises to shut down everything but draft spending because they aren't preseason and offseason favorites on the internet. Sure, I would get my wish and this league would collapse within a decade, but I doubt that interests the league as a whole.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The absense of talent, especially at the middle and bottom of a roster, sounds like a draft issue and 9/10 times probably is a draft issue. EVERYONE without a QB is in rough shape, so even a mediocre one like Tannehill should rouse a franchise to do some spending and roster building. It would not be practical or smart for 24 NFL franchises to shut down everything but draft spending because they aren't preseason and offseason favorites on the internet. Sure, I would get my wish and this league would collapse within a decade, but I doubt that interests the league as a whole.

There are tons of mid-level signings teams make that impact their ability to build a championship roster.  The draft is the primary way to impact the top, middle, and bottom of the roster, yes.  But you also have needs all over the field that you have to fill with some veteran players, and cheap/mid-level signings fill those gaps.  You can't make those signings when you're in cap hell.  And when your top guys get hurt, you're f*cked as a result.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are tons of mid-level signings teams make that impact their ability to build a championship roster.  The draft is the primary way to impact the top, middle, and bottom of the roster, yes.  But you also have needs all over the field that you have to fill with some veteran players, and cheap/mid-level signings fill those gaps.  You can't make those signings when you're in cap hell.  And when your top guys get hurt, you're f*cked as a result.

No, there isn't, not in any practical sense.  Like with New GM's spending last year, people will bitch about spending in that way too. There will always be people bitching, its a past time of sorts. You can sign top veteran FAs too. In fact, that is probably the best way to spend when that kind of talent is available.  By your logic, elite non-QBs should just retire after their rookie deal (again, something I'd love to see) because teams shouldn't be interested unless they have QB - in which case they should pay the QB. If a team is spending nowadays in FA - paying a top interior rusher still in his 20's and a mid-tier QB contract to a mid-tier young QB is one of the less dumb ways to do it (and I dislike everything I read about Suh as a person).

We'll see the Dolphins get out of the pretend cap hell they're supposedly, created by paying and then restructuring two pass rushers and a QB (which, in their case is definitely the wrong way to build), and have a normal offseason. 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How much do you think the Jets will pay for a QB this year?

My bet Fitz doesn't come cheap.

16 hours ago, SenorGato said:

No, there isn't, not in any practical sense.  Like with New GM's spending last year, people will bitch about spending in that way too. There will always be people bitching, its a past time of sorts. You can sign top veteran FAs too. In fact, that is probably the best way to spend when that kind of talent is available.  By your logic, elite non-QBs should just retire after their rookie deal (again, something I'd love to see) because teams shouldn't be interested unless they have QB - in which case they should pay the QB. If a team is spending nowadays in FA - paying a top interior rusher still in his 20's and a mid-tier QB contract to a mid-tier young QB is one of the less dumb ways to do it (and I dislike everything I read about Suh as a person).

We'll see the Dolphins get out of the pretend cap hell they're supposedly, created by paying and then restructuring two pass rushers and a QB (which, in their case is definitely the wrong way to build), and have a normal offseason. 

at which point they will still suck and will be saddled with even sh*ttier contracts to those 2 players going forward. the tannehill and suh deals were terrible for miami.......and i'm happy as sh*t they happened

Archived