Good stuff on Petty from Mehta "mail bag"

AFJF

I enjoyed the part about Petty, but trying to keep in mind that these guys will sometimes gush about a QB who may be the future of the franchise to lay the groundwork for good access down the road hoping Manish is 100% right, but cautiously optimistic.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-mailbag-bryce-petty-nfl-development-article-1.2537425?utm_content=buffer31c84&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Our weekend edition of the Jets mailbag delves into a potentially promising future, an enigmatic young player with plenty to prove, a blockbuster trade that could jolt the franchise and a Pro Bowler making a public announcement to 31 other teams.

Continue to tweet me questions about all things Jets at @MMehtaNYDN and use the hash tag #AskManish. We're expanding our Jets coverage on Facebook with more analysis, opinions and fan engagement with chats. Like our Gang Green page at nydn.us/ManishMehta

Thoughts on Bryce Petty’s development in the future… Do you think the Jets would take a QB at No. 20? - @SomethinFUNNEE Andrew Golden

Petty told me something pretty interesting in the Jets locker room late in the season. We were chatting about Baylor’s weird season that included all their injuries/issues at quarterback. He watched their games on TV just like everybody else these days, of course. He told me how incredibly easy/basic the opponents’ defenses looked to him now. After more than seven months of studying complex NFL defenses, this stuff on TV looked simple to him. It spoke to his growth as a player.

Petty is a much better quarterback now than he was when Chan Gailey and quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo first got their hands on him last spring. He's made important strides despite not getting in game reps as a rookie. The team brain trust has been careful not to rush his development. The biggest benefit for him as a fourth-round pick: There’s really no pressure to accelerate his learning curve from statistical giant in a college spread system to a pro-style quarterback.

The decision makers envisioned a 2-3 year developmental process, but they obviously wouldn’t hesitate to use him next season if he proves that he’s ahead of schedule and ready for the bright lights.

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s unexpected career revival has given the organization more time to properly evaluate the long-term quarterback situation, including Petty’s development. (We’re operating under the assumption that the Jets re-sign Fitzpatrick).

Petty has the physical traits to succeed at this level – he can make every throw – but here’s what fans might not know about him: The guy is a smart and willing listener. He admitted to me that there were times this season when he was frustrated – every competitor wants to play on Sundays – but he’s been mature enough to absorb all the information that Fitzpatrick, who’s been selfless and willing to share knowledge, has provided. Patullo has also been a terrific influence and mentor.

It’s impossible to definitively say right now whether or not Petty is the real deal, but I know this: The big stage won’t be too big for him when/if his time comes with the Jets. In fact, fans are going to fall in love with him. He has the presence and make-up to handle everything that comes with being a quarterback in New York.

That being said, the Jets should not – and will not – hesitate to take a quarterback with the No. 20 pick if they have a strong conviction in one of the signal callers on the board. It’s a smart strategy.

Don’t be surprised if the Jets select a quarterback at some point in the draft. Hall of Famer Ron Wolf, who helped Woody Johnson during the GM/head coach search process last year, subscribed to the notion that you should take a quarterback every year. That was a smart approach by a very smart man.

Ira from Staten Island doesn’t have a Twitter account, but we won’t hold that against the most loyal and level-headed Jets fan I’ve ever met. His question via email: I still think that Jace Amaro can fit well in Gailey’s spread offense. He wasn’t (the new regime’s) pick though. How do you think they use him?

First and foremost, it’s my understanding that Amaro’s rehab from his surgically-repaired left labrum has gone well over the past five-plus months. So, health shouldn’t be a concern.

The more pertinent question centers on how Gailey actually feels about Amaro as a player. Remember, that Amaro didn’t exactly get much love from the new coaching staff before he banged up his shoulder in the preseason opener against the Lions. He was ostracized to the far practice field with second- and third-stringers during the offseason. Amaro was buried on the depth chart behind Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Davis, but Todd Bowles rationalized the ranking by claiming that he was an H-Back more than a tight end.

The Jets used Quincy Enunwa as hybrid tight end/in-line blocker last season, but they desperately need a tight end upgrade after that position accounted for a league-low eight receptions in 2015. Jets tight ends also had the fewest composite playing time (617 reps), according to ESPN.

Amaro, Wes Saxton or perhaps Zach Sudfeld, a restricted free agent that missed the entire 2015 season with a torn ACL, could provide a boost. The Jets, of course, could add help through free agency and/or the draft too.

Amaro, a 2014 second-round pick by John Idzik, had a disappointing rookie season (38 catches, 345 yards, 2 TDs, too many drops). Gailey seems smart enough not to turn Amaro into an in-line blocker, so maybe there’s a chance that he can be productive in the slot or even occasionally split out wide in this spread scheme.

I know this: There are teammates who are skeptical that Amaro will be effective. He has a lot to prove to a lot of people, including guys in his own locker room.

That’s an interesting idea, but don’t expect it to happen. Would the Jets make that trade? I believe they would, setting in motion a series of moves that would get Jets fans pretty excited. If Richardson were dealt for the top overall pick, the Jets would sign Mo Wilkerson to a long-term deal. They could go in a number of directions with the top pick in the draft, including bolstering their pass rush by selecting Ohio State’s Joey Bosa or replenishing the offensive line with stud Mississippi tackle Laremy Tunsil. Or how about super-freak linebacker Myles Jack from UCLA or Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey?

Alas, the Titans are going to command much more than just Richardson, who will be looking for a blockbuster long-term contract in another year or two. Would the Jets really give up Richardson AND premium draft picks to get the No. 1 selection this year? Nope.

For the record: Richardson has a Hall-of-Fame skill set, in my opinion. The consensus from the scouts, coaches and front office executives that I’ve touched base with is that he’s the Jets defensive lineman with the highest upside.

Is it a real possibility that Chris Ivory could be elsewhere in 2016? - @awt14_ Andrew

The Jets have been in talks with the Ivory camp, but the likelihood is that he’ll test free agency. It seems like ages ago when we were waxing poetic about Ivory being the heart and soul of the Jets offense. Remember when he racked up 362 total yards in back-to-back games against the Dolphins and Washington in Weeks 4 and 6? He was an unstoppable force.

Nagging injuries slowed Ivory down in the second half of the season, but he still finished with his first 1,000-yard season and Pro Bowl berth. The Jets still want him back, but it’s more likely that he’ll land a bigger pay day from another team. Bowles’ top three running backs are unrestricted free agents. There’s no guarantee than any of them return, but Bilal Powell could be a cheap option. They will likely pick up a ball carrier in the draft too

Is it realistic that the Jets sign Fitz, Snacks, Mo, Powell and still are able to sign impact players in free agency? - @ylowie747

I could bore you with the financial details, but I won’t. In short, the answer is: No.

Wilkerson will have the largest 2016 cap charge among that group when the team slaps the franchise tag for $15-16 million on him before March 1. The Pro Bowler provided a medical update – and not-so-subtle advertisement to any teams interested in trading for him after the franchise tag is applied – on his verified Twitter account on Thursday. Wilkerson underwent surgery Jan. 5 on his broken fibula suffered in the season finale in Buffalo.

“Great visit (with) Dr. Anderson (today) in NC,” Wilkerson tweeted. “Leg responded (great), starting rehab ahead of schedule. Anxious to get to work. Thx for all the support!”

Translation: “Hey, 31 NFL teams: Don’t worry about my leg. I’ll be fine. So, if you’re willing to give up a first-round pick and pay me what I believe I’m worth in a long-term contract, give the Jets a call.”

24 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

we as a fan base so deserve Petty becoming a franchise QB.  

Definitely not getting my hopes up on this.  Btw, I think it's funny that he said he thought college defenses looked simple to him now.  Those were the defenses that he put up his big stats against.  So he's kind of saying that the difficulty level was not that high.

"For the record: Richardson has a Hall-of-Fame skill set, in my opinion. The consensus from the scouts, coaches and front office executives that I’ve touched base with is that he’s the Jets defensive lineman with the highest upside. "

That's a pretty strong endorsement IMO.  Then again I think we all know the issue w/ him is to not eff up his own career.

15 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

from the Gailey interviews before the season it sounded like Petty was very confident so not surprised he thinks he is much better and ready to play, would sound much better coming from the coaching staff...  

Agreed.  Plus I'm sure he legitimately does feel like he has a better handle on what's going on (and coaching staff continuity is a good thing).  But obviously he hasn't had the game experience to prove anything and we know it's a very tough position to play.  It is kinda cool that he's getting groomed for the role the old fashioned way (sitting for a couple of years).  It's still amazing to me that Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 4 years and might never have been given a chance had Favre decided to stay another year in GB (as Rodgers' contract might have been up and he might have looked for another opportunity).  I wonder if the GB coaches had any idea how good Rodgers would be.

Side note - it's kind of strange how people don't talk about Rodgers falling in the draft similar to the way Marino did.  I guess Marino was considered a better prospect in college?

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Definitely not getting my hopes up on this.  Btw, I think it's funny that he said he thought college defenses looked simple to him now.  Those were the defenses that he put up his big stats against.  So he's kind of saying that the difficulty level was not that high.

College football defenses, versus NFL football defenses.  

Seems pretty much like common sense.

Like I posted earlier, sign and trade with Mo Wilkerson and then resign the rest. It's the best approach. There's no way the Jets are ever going to sign Mo - he's overvaluing himself. This plan allows several benefits:

1) The Jets get compensation for a highly coveted player.

2) This would open things up to resign just about everyone else. IMO, resigning Bilal Powell is a very important for a rather fragile and fledgling offense. They have some good pieces but depriving them of one of their main weapons down the stretch of the season could really set the entire offense back in 2016.

3) Fortunately, the defensive line is the Jets very strongest unit. It's hard to imagine Leonard Williams does not develop into an even better player than in 2015. After all, he's still only 21. He's a KID for Christ sake. He's probably going to develop a larger frame, one that is that much more imposing for blockers. I'm excited to see what he can become.

So I'll miss Mo, but getting a few 1st days picks for him would truly be a coup for the Jets in this draft.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Side note - it's kind of strange how people don't talk about Rodgers falling in the draft similar to the way Marino did.  I guess Marino was considered a better prospect in college?

Rodgers only had 1 QB taken ahead of him .... Marino had 5

I am all for taking a QB every year. So many draft picks don't work out. So let's focus more effort on fixing the QB position.

I think at QB at 20 won't happen. Trade Wilkerson and move up to take one, I wonder if that could happen.

Archived