Walkin' the Line.. jets hope to get younger without sacrificing wins ~ ~ ~

kelly

Todd Bowles stated the obvious Wednesday, saying the New York Jets are "an older team." He indicated the goal is to get younger at almost every position, a common refrain among coaches. I mean, when was the last time you heard a coach say, "We need to add some age to our lineup?"Integrating young players can be tricky, especially when the team is in a win-now mode. Such is the case with the Jets, who, after missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record, can't possibly be thinking about anything other than chasing a title in 2016.

Let's take a closer look at roster, looking for places where they can get younger :

Quarterback: Not here -- unless they decide to part ways with Ryan Fitzpatrick (33), which won't happen. The backups, Geno Smith (25) and Bryce Petty (24), are still young players.

Running back: There are a few moving parts, as their top three backs appear headed to free agency. Look for them to sign a couple of veterans and add a back in the draft, which I guess would satisfy the mandate to get younger. They need fresh legs in the running-back pipeline.

Wide receiver: Brandon Marshall turns 32 next month, but he was the team MVP so he's not going anywhere. At 28, Eric Decker is in his prime. They have an ascending player in Quincy Enunwa (23), but they could probably use another like him. The wild card is Devin Smith (23), whose rookie year was a washout because of injuries.

Tight end: There's youth, with Jace Amaro (23) and Zach Sudfeld (26), but they're both coming off major injuries. This is a position where the Jets could use an older, established player.

Offensive line: Ding, ding, ding. This is the oldest position group on the team, with three starters in their 30s -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold andBreno Giacomini. This will be a priority area in the draft as the Jets attempt to find an heir apparent for Ferguson and Mangold. Brent Qvale is viewed as a possible replacement for Giacomini. Part of the problem is they've drafted six linemen in the last four years and haven't hit on any of them -- unless you countBrian Winters. Obviously, pending free agent Willie Colon (32) doesn't fit the youth movement. He likely will retire.

Defensive line: Age isn't the issue, it's being able to keep a young, talented group together.

Linebacker: This is where they could really use an infusion of youth. They're locked in with David Harris (32), but the three spots around him are up in the air. Pending free agent Calvin Pace (35) wants to play another year, but he's a backburner option for the Jets. Lorenzo Mauldin, Freddie Bishop and Mike Catapano will get first dibs at the outside positions, but you can bet they will make a significant acquisition, either in the draft or free agency. Erin Henderson, who turns 30 before the season, could re-sign and compete for an inside slot.

Secondary: Releasing Antonio Cromartie, who turns 32 in April, started the youth movement. They have in-house candidates to replace him, namely Buster Skrine and Marcus Williams, but that won't preclude the Jets from looking to draft another corner. Darrelle Revis will be 31 by the start of the season, so they have to start planning for life after Revis.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58625/walking-the-fine-line-jets-hope-to-get-younger-without-sacrificing-wins

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why is this organization hell bent on signing a 33 yr old QB who has never taken a team to the playoffs in his career. 

Unless you are willing to turn over the team to Geno or Petty, or sign the bums that are free agents, what is a better altenative than Fitz?

Just now, section314 said:

Unless you are willing to turn over the team to Geno or Petty, or sign the bums that are free agents, what is a better altenative than Fitz?

We need a franchise QB who is capable of taking us to the next level,playoffs and hopefully a Super Bowl. The organization needs to of whatever it takes to get a franchise QB and stop jamming mediocre QBs down the fans throats. 

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why is this organization hell bent on signing a 33 yr old QB who has never taken a team to the playoffs in his career. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need a franchise QB who is capable of taking us to the next level,playoffs and hopefully a Super Bowl. The organization needs to of whatever it takes to get a franchise QB and stop jamming mediocre QBs down the fans throats. 

Why are you hell bent on making constant belly aching?

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree with you 100% on that. This is a new regime. They didn't give us Sanchez and Geno. Petty is the first QB they drafted. Is he the guy? Your guess is as good as mine. Will they draft another guy this year? I'd say yes, maybe even in the 1st round depending on how the board fell. I think Mac is painfully aware of what he has to do, and think he will do all he can to make it happen. Like I said in earlier post, unless you turn it over to our two backups, or potential new draft pick, you need a guy to QB the team . The other issue you have is that basically 90% of the league faces the same issue as do the Jets. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I agree in theory - but who are you getting to play QB in 2016 who will qualify?

Sure, you can package your picks and move up to grab a QB at the top of the draft this year, but he's not the answer for 2016. Even if they do, Fitz is back

Looking around the league, there isn't a 'franchise' QB on another team's roster who we could somehow acquire. And Kaep doesn't count if you're talking 'franchise qb'

Free agency - you want to bring in RGIII? Blow Cousins away with an offer and surrender a pick? Give Chase Daniels the keys?  Are any of these guys 'franchise' qbs? Are any of them even any better than Fitz? 

It's easy to complain, but I'm not sure what you think where this franchise QB in 2016 is coming from. 

Just now, shuler82 said:

I agree in theory - but who are you getting to play QB in 2016 who will qualify?

Sure, you can package your picks and move up to grab a QB at the top of the draft this year, but he's not the answer for 2016. Even if they do, Fitz is back

Looking around the league, there isn't a 'franchise' QB on another team's roster who we could somehow acquire. And Kaep doesn't count if you're talking 'franchise qb'

Free agency - you want to bring in RGIII? Blow Cousins away with an offer and surrender a pick? Give Chase Daniels the keys?  Are any of these guys 'franchise' qbs? Are any of them even any better than Fitz? 

It's easy to complain, but I'm not sure what you think where this franchise QB in 2016 is coming from. 

Fitz is a stop gap QB I dont hate the guy just hate the love affair here for a mediocre QB who has never taken a team to the playoffs, 

Id rather go with Geno or Petty than sign an aging weak armed QB to win us 8-10 games and miss out on the playoffs,again,

Even if the Jets draft a QB at 20 and not sign Fitz, the Jets win the most game in 2016 with a combination of Fitz, Geno and Petty, or Fitz, Draft Pick and Petty.  

I think there is justifiable value to keeping Fitz around and having him try and put a respectable team on the field in 2016.

If he asked for too much money (which I think is lower than people are thinking), I would let him play somewhere else.

If the Jets can draft another QB that they they is good, they should let Geno go and head into 2016 with Fitz, the draft pick and Petty.

Next year could also be a QB draft year.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Talk football don't rely on personal attacks to bolster your pointless argument. 

You bellyaching isn't an argument, it's a truth.

In a sense, I am talking about football by asking you to stop whining about the same 3 things over and over. If you stop, then threads actually have a shot at being about something, and thereby become "about football".

Instead, you treat every thread like a beer put here for you to sob into.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

You bellyaching isn't an argument, it's a truth.

In a sense, I am talking about football by asking you to stop whining about the same 3 things over and over. If you stop, then threads actually have a shot at being about something, and thereby become "about football".

Instead, you treat every thread like a beer put here for you to sob into.

Facts are facts you obviously disagree with them. 

Looking forward to your posts bitching about something the night the Jets win a Super Bowl.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Facts are facts you obviously disagree with them. 

Looking forward to your posts bitching about something the night the Jets win a Super Bowl.

What "facts" are you talking about? Do you know what planet you're on?

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz is a stop gap QB I dont hate the guy just hate the love affair here for a mediocre QB who has never taken a team to the playoffs, 

Id rather go with Geno or Petty than sign an aging weak armed QB to win us 8-10 games and miss out on the playoffs,again,

This is where your logic doesn't make sense.

you'd rather go with a bad QB than who you'd term a mediocre QB

10 minutes ago, ljr said:

This is where your logic doesn't make sense.

you'd rather go with a bad QB than who you'd term a mediocre QB

Fitzpatrick is a bad QB he didn't make the playoffs this year as the Jets QB, he hasnt made the playoffsin his career that should tell you something. 

We don't know what Smith has under Gailey and with WRs and we certainly dont know what Petty has to offer. 

So why sign a bad QB just to win a few games during the regular season and guarantee us a seat at home on the couch come the playoffs. 

Sorry I'm not drinking the Fitz-Ade

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick is a bad QB

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz is a stop gap QB I dont hate the guy just hate the love affair here for a mediocre QB ,

Fyi - mediocre & bad are not synonyms

On 2/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, joewilly12 said:

I disagree with your second point. If you throw a QB to the lions too early, you ruin him.

I would rather walk the line of being competitive and developing

On February 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick is a bad QB he didn't make the playoffs this year as the Jets QB, he hasnt made the playoffsin his career that should tell you something. 

We don't know what Smith has under Gailey and with WRs and we certainly dont know what Petty has to offer. 

So why sign a bad QB just to win a few games during the regular season and guarantee us a seat at home on the couch come the playoffs. 

You not only don't know what the heck your talking about but you keep banging the same drum and that makes the board hard to read for everyone else.  Lately you have become an a$$ hole that's banging your drum.   

I keep hoping the mods will do something about it at some point.   

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree with your second point. If you throw a QB to the lions too early, you ruin him.

I would rather walk the line of being competitive and developing

Meanwhile the rest of your team gets old. Are we going to be as good defensively this season or next season as we were this season,its a vicious cycle. 

On 2/26/2016 at 9:58 AM, joewilly12 said:

What a revelation. Lets go pick one up at Target.

On 2/26/2016 at 8:58 AM, joewilly12 said:

Ohhhhh

Yeah, I don't know why they didn't draft that guy last year, or the year before.   I can get 2 or 3 in Madden easy

On 2/26/2016 at 9:58 AM, joewilly12 said:

agreed......now would you kindly direct the team to which available young franchise qb they should get

Archived