" Free agents who will be paid too much ".. yup, Fitz is one of them ~ ~ ~

kelly

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

bradford is a lot younger, I think fitz is looking at 3 years, 36 million with about 20 million guaranteed , so its really a 2 year $20 million dollar deal in the end is my guess

That would put it back in line with what I think the Jets can do today with a couple additional cuts and bricks restructure.  So if that happens I would be very happy with our front office we can somehow hold fitz for 10mil a yr for 2 more yrs.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

So you know every option available to the Jets besides the free agents available. 

I don't but I don't see alot of other choices.

Teams don't trade starting QBs very often. Day 1 starting QBs probably don't make it to 1.20. 

the Jets either pay Fitz or start Petty/Draft pick. 10-6 might seem like heaven after a year of that mess. 

I'll just put my faith in Cags.  If he chooses to go in another direction I'm totally fine with that.  I think Fitz had a career year that I don't see him repeating but I'm hardly the expert at judging QBs.  I'd like to see us trade up for a QB (assuming Cags likes what's out there - I assume Goff or Wentz).

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll just put my faith in Cags.  If he chooses to go in another direction I'm totally fine with that.  I think Fitz had a career year that I don't see him repeating but I'm hardly the expert at judging QBs.  I'd like to see us trade up for a QB (assuming Cags likes what's out there - I assume Goff or Wentz).

I think if we secure a good TE and improve the OL and get some steadiness at RB, Fitz could have the same year with possibly marginally better stats such as more yardage and such.  I can see him easily putting up 30+ TDs again.  I don't care what defenses we are playing this year we have the weapons to compensate and matchmaking nightmares to capitalize on.

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

At that price, I'll take my chances with Geno/Petty holding the fort, with our 2016 first round draft pick QB taking the reigns in 2017. 

Chances with that leave you in the lottery in 2017. Also, I doubt there is a QB worth taking at 20. 

Final list of Franchise Tags from today:

• WAS QB Kirk Cousins ($19.953m)

• NYJ DE Muhammad Wilkerson ($15.701m)

• CHI WR Alshon Jeffery ($14.599m)

• DEN LB Von Miller (~$14.129m, exclusive tag, not set till all of next year's salaries are done)

• LA CB Trumaine Johnson ($13.952m)

• CAR CB Josh Norman ($13.952m)

• BUF OT Cordy Glenn ($13.706m)

• MIA DE Olivier Vernon ($12.734m, transition tag)

• KC S Eric Berry ($10.806m)

• BAL K Justin Tucker ($4.572m)

6 hours ago, Larz said:

bradford is a lot younger, I think fitz is looking at 3 years, 36 million with about 20 million guaranteed , so its really a 2 year $20 million dollar deal in the end is my guess

Would be ludicrous to pay him that. If we do, we deserve what we get as we will be completely ignoring history.

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

I understand why the Jets are not willing to overpay for Fitz, especially with the way the season ended. 

But if not Fitz, then who? 

3 years, 24 million, first two years guaranteed.

Book it my friend.  Fitz will start 2016, will compete to start 2017 and will either be gone or backup/mentor in 2018.

Geno is horrible and finished here, and the Front Office knows it.

Petty isn't ready (yet).

Whomever we draft at QB this coming draft won't be ready either.

Fitz starting in 2016 is reasonable (after his productive season last year, his leadership of the team and the players and coaches feelings toward him) and affordable (8 mil for your #1 QB is just fine).

Fitz will have to beat our Petty and the 2016 Draft Pick if he wants to start in 2017, but would remain a above-average backup if he loses the job.

2018, who knows, but no guarantee, so he can be cut as needed, or reneg. a cheap deal to play #2 to our QB-Kid-of-the-Future (Petty or Draft Pick).

Frankly, this is the best and most stable/professional we've looked at the QB position in a looooooooong time.

If Fitz elite?  Lol, no.  But he's good enough and professional enough and productive enough to win games with the right support, and to mentor the youngsters till they're ready.

He's the best option for us on the market, affordable and well-liked.  

Will he win the Super Bowl in both 2016 and 2017?  Lol, nope, but neither would anyone else we could realistically start or acquire.  But we have a good shot at the playoffs both years, if Mac does his job and fixes a position or two on the O.

This team is, for once, acting like a professional franchise.  Patience, professionalism, development.  I, for one, am glad to see it.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

3 years, 24 million, first two years guaranteed.

Book it my friend.  Fitz will start 2016, will compete to start 2017 and will either be gone or backup/mentor in 2018.

Geno is horrible and finished here, and the Front Office knows it.

Petty isn't ready (yet).

Whomever we draft at QB this coming draft won't be ready either.

Fitz starting in 2016 is reasonable (after his productive season last year, his leadership of the team and the players and coaches feelings toward him) and affordable (8 mil for your #1 QB is just fine).

Fitz will have to beat our Petty and the 2016 Draft Pick if he wants to start in 2017, but would remain a above-average backup if he loses the job.

2018, who knows, but no guarantee, so he can be cut as needed, or reneg. a cheap deal to play #2 to our QB-Kid-of-the-Future (Petty or Draft Pick).

Frankly, this is the best and most stable/professional we've looked at the QB position in a looooooooong time.

If Fitz elite?  Lol, no.  But he's good enough and professional enough and productive enough to win games with the right support, and to mentor the youngsters till they're ready.

He's the best option for us on the market, affordable and well-liked.  

Will he win the Super Bowl in both 2016 and 2017?  Lol, nope, but neither would anyone else we could realistically start or acquire.  But we have a good shot at the playoffs both years, if Mac does his job and fixes a position or two on the O.

This team is, for once, acting like a professional franchise.  Patience, professionalism, development.  I, for one, am glad to see it.

Very well stated, I agree with pretty well everything.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem is, what if he wants the same money bradford got, 2 yrs 36 mil?  jets may not want to pay that much.

Oh I agree, there is a common sense limit to all of this.  If he is not reasonable then we go to plan B, most likely sign a cheaper QB or trade for one and quite possibly have a dead season which may not be the worst thing in the world.

fitz has gone on record as saying he does not want to move his family again.  that should play into his desire to get a contract done with the jets and what the amount is.  while money usually does dictate decisions, in fitz's case, why would he uproot his family again for a little more money to move to somewhere like cleveland?  he's got a real chance to make the playoffs next year with those receivers, that defense and (hopefully) whoever mccags adds in the draft.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

fitz has gone on record as saying he does not want to move his family again.  that should play into his desire to get a contract done with the jets and what the amount is.  while money usually does dictate decisions, in fitz's case, why would he uproot his family again for a little more money to move to somewhere like cleveland?  he's got a real chance to make the playoffs next year with those receivers, that defense and (hopefully) whoever mccags adds in the draft.  

His best chance to make the playoffs was last year when he had that magical season .  It would be nice to believe that he could repeat that season, but those kind of odds have left many a gambler broke and divorced > 

Archived