2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didnt listen to the debate after the comment, so I dont know what Golic and Greenie had to say.  I had to run into work but when you just here the statement and dont factor in all the things you've mentioned, it made sense.  Problem is everything else you mentioned.  Mostly, $$$$$$$$$$.

Plus conference tournaments are just plain fun.  I love meeting people who go to the other schools in the league.  In a 1-bid league like ours, every game from the Quarterfinals on is intense. 

And in our case, Charleston was a PERFECT destination for the CAA Tournament.  Though I am biased, as it was just a 3 hour drive for me and a friend.  And we did win the title. 

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus conference tournaments are just plain fun.  I love meeting people who go to the other schools in the league.  In a 1-bid league like ours, every game from the Quarterfinals on is intense. 

And in our case, Charleston was a PERFECT destination for the CAA Tournament.  Though I am biased, as it was just a 3 hour drive for me and a friend.  And we did win the title. 

They are fun.  He said there would still be that excitement...but I'm with you here. 

The ACC Tourney really heats up today before the big boys play tomorrow.

SU-Miami at 12

duke-Clemson at 2ish

Wake-Va Tech at 7

Pitt-UVa at 9ish

I think SU clinches a bid w/ a win today

Clemson can make a late run w/ a win

Wake can play their way in too.

Miami briefly made it a game w/ a late 1st half/early 2nd half run that brought them w/in 3 but the Heels took over early in the 2nd half and cruised to a 25 point win.  They await the winner of the duke-louisville game which starts shortly.  

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unreal...that dude loves to choke.

He usually waits until the Tourney though.

Interesting fact, no team has ever lost their first conf tourney game and went on to win the Nat'l title.  there's a first time for everything though and maybe they get the choke out of the way now?

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@JiF. .... 2nd round matchup??? emoji4.png

ETSU will be tough for you, though we did beat them at home as well as last season on the road.

oh god you all got Virginia, Tony Bennett's defense is a pain to watch! Gonna have to make some contested shots, I like your chances! Hopefully the man bun kid is cold and Perrantes has to try to do it all himself! think you guys can get to 60 points? :)

7 hours ago, deckerfan said:

oh god you all got Virginia, Tony Bennett's defense is a pain to watch! Gonna have to make some contested shots, I like your chances! Hopefully the man bun kid is cold and Perrantes has to try to do it all himself! think you guys can get to 60 points? :)

We can score on anybody.  Also, I read that Virginia had trouble with West Virginia's press as a "cumulative effect".  So, obviously, I think we win. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We can score on anybody.  Also, I read that Virginia had trouble with West Virginia's press as a "cumulative effect".  So, obviously, I think we win. 

Your team seems to be a hot pick to win and I am sure they can but very few teams can score the way Carolina scores and they held the Heels to 43 pts in one of the games.  

Friday Night was painful and seeing duke win anything is painful but thankfully the committee didn't reward the 5th place team in the ACC w/ a 1 seed like it was being talked about yesterday.

I LOVE the top half of Carolina's region.  they shouldn't have too many problems getting to the elite 8.  the bottom half is tough but they will only play one of those teams whether UK, UCLA or a sleeper like Cincy(who I think can make a run to the elite 8).

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@JiF. .... 2nd round matchup??? emoji4.png

ETSU will be tough for you, though we did beat them at home as well as last season on the road.

I sure hope not.  That should be a cake walk.  That said, I'm expecting this to go down.   I think Virginia is nothing special and you guys have the type of team to make that 12/5 happen.  

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I sure hope not.  That should be a cake walk.  That said, I'm expecting this to go down.   I think Virginia is nothing special and you guys have the type of team to make that 12/5 happen.  

You would think but remember that ETSU has several guys with P5/high major experience and who were highly rated coming out of High School.  One of their starters and a bench player were transfers from Indiana, and another starter transferred from Wichita State.  They may have also gotten slightly underseeded because of their conference affiliation. 

I expect you guys to win but I think it'll be by 12 or less. 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Friday Night was painful and seeing duke win anything is painful but thankfully the committee didn't reward the 5th place team in the ACC w/ a 1 seed like it was being talked about yesterday.

I LOVE the top half of Carolina's region.  they shouldn't have too many problems getting to the elite 8.  the bottom half is tough but they will only play one of those teams whether UK, UCLA or a sleeper like Cincy(who I think can make a run to the elite 8).

That game was a perfect example of what I was saying earlier in the thread...UNC rides IMO on how well Joel Berry plays.  It reminds of the impact Ty Lawson had on those teams.  Duke made that run with him foul trouble and UNC can become very average when he's not on.  Not only does his own play change everything when he's on but I think his presence makes Jackson better because it takes so much scoring pressure off him.  Jackson shot like sh*t when Berry was out of the game. 

On the other side of the court though; when Tatum is playing like that...Duke is a really tough out and you can see why some many people are falling in love with them.  I'm not sure there is anyone better in the country at creating his own shot.  Maybe Monk when Monk is on but he's sooo streaky. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You would think but remember that ETSU has several guys with P5/high major experience and who were highly rated coming out of High School.  One of their starters and a bench player were transfers from Indiana, and another starter transferred from Wichita State.  They may have also gotten slightly underseeded because of their conference affiliation. 

I expect you guys to win but I think it'll be by 12 or less. 

I get that but from what I've read they are turnover prone.  The Gators D will get them to create turnovers, for sure.  The Gators just need to avoid the scoring droughts that plagued some of their losses this season.  Plus, ETSU is just not battled tested.  Though I did read they're undefeated this season on a neutral court. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I get that but from what I've read they are turnover prone.  The Gators D will get them to create turnovers, for sure.  The Gators just need to avoid the scoring droughts that plagued some of their losses this season.  Plus, ETSU is just not battled tested.  Though I did read they're undefeated this season on a neutral court. 

They are indeed, which is why we had so much success against them these last 2 seasons.  We're one of the top 10 teams in the nation in turnover margin.  And I see you guys are # 21 in that category. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They are indeed, which is why we had so much success against them these last 2 seasons.  We're one of the top 10 teams in the nation in turnover margin. 

Interesting.  I wont lie, I've never looked at that list before.  I'd guess that the top teams are probably in the non-power conferences, similar to your conference for obvious reasons.  And I'be very surprised if the Gators werent right up there among power conference teams.  That's basically what they're entire strategy is based off. 

Just now, JiF said:

Interesting.  I wont lie, I've never looked at that list before.  I'd guess that the top teams are probably in the non-power conferences, similar to your conference.  And I'be very surprised if the Gators werent right up there among power conference teams.  That's basically what they're entire strategy is based off. 

Yep, you guys are # 21 overall, 9th among P5/Big East teams.  NCAA.com does a nice job with their stats page:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/519

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, you guys are # 21 overall, 9th among P5/Big East teams.  NCAA.com does a nice job with their stats page:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/519

Pretty much how I figured it would look.  I mean, just higher level play = less turnovers.  Hence the lack of P5's on the top end of the list. 

Interesting though, Virginia is right up there too.  And you guys are no known for your scoring.  That might be a really interesting 12/5 the more I'm reading.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

That game was a perfect example of what I was saying earlier in the thread...UNC rides IMO on how well Joel Berry plays.  It reminds of the impact Ty Lawson had on those teams.  Duke made that run with him foul trouble and UNC can become very average when he's not on.  Not only does his own play change everything when he's on but I think his presence makes Jackson better because it takes so much scoring pressure off him.  Jackson shot like sh*t when Berry was out of the game. 

On the other side of the court though; when Tatum is playing like that...Duke is a really tough out and you can see why some many people are falling in love with them.  I'm not sure there is anyone better in the country at creating his own shot.  Maybe Monk when Monk is on but he's sooo streaky. 

he is their most important player, he had a couple of dumb fouls but 2 of them were jokes especially w/ all the hacking duke does.  it's so frustrating to watch duke shoot 72 FTs the last 2 games against Carolina.  the Heels were able to overcome last week but not the other night and of course we see multiple fouls where duke players weren't touched attempting 3's.  happens every game. 

on jackson, he has been in a shooting slump since the UVa game so I wouldn't attribute that to Berry's absence.  he showed some sings the other night but he's still not back to where he was pre-UVa.  the Heels will need that guy to win it all.

Tatum is a great player, duke is full of great players but they still don't have a real PG or an inside presence.  I think that will be their undoing in March(I hope).  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Pretty much how I figured it would look.  I mean, just higher level play = less turnovers.  Hence the lack of P5's on the top end of the list. 

Interesting though, Virginia is right up there too.  And you guys are no known for your scoring.  That might be a really interesting 12/5 the more I'm reading.

I desperately want to go to Orlando for the game. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he is their most important player, he had a couple of dumb fouls but 2 of them were jokes especially w/ all the hacking duke does.  it's so frustrating to watch duke shoot 72 FTs the last 2 games against Carolina.  the Heels were able to overcome last week but not the other night and of course we see multiple fouls where duke players weren't touched attempting 3's.  happens every game. 

on jackson, he has been in a shooting slump since the UVa game so I wouldn't attribute that to Berry's absence.  he showed some sings the other night but he's still not back to where he was pre-UVa.  the Heels will need that guy to win it all.

Tatum is a great player, duke is full of great players but they still don't have a real PG or an inside presence.  I think that will be their undoing in March(I hope).  

I think Duke does a good job of baiting teams in to fouls.  They play aggressive, the hack and it's almost like they get teams to play to their style and they get the calls because they're Duke.  

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think Duke does a good job of baiting teams in to fouls.  They play aggressive, the hack and it's almost like they get teams to play to their style and they get the calls because they're Duke.  

K is constantly working the officials, watch as they head to TV timeouts and instead of coaching his team he is working the refs.  he also teaches his players to sell the fouls and the refs fall for it.  they flop, snap their heads back(did you see the elbow Allen gave Robinson at UNC last week? he snapped his head back and they called the foul on UNC), throw themselves on the ground.  it's embarrassing and it has ruined the game of basketball.

Archived