Brandon Marshall defends Fitz, swipes back at Bart Scott

AFJF

Marshall needs to have a seat already. Manny/Brady cashed in 3 or 4 times because teams were actually willing to pay. They had a market. The Rams, Browns, Jets, Broncos was basically the market for free agent QB's this past year and no team felt the need to have Fitzpatrick "cash in". 

Matter of fact, every report basically said that Fitz only option was the Jets, ONLY BECAUSE Chan Gailey is the OC in NY. You know a QB has overvalued himself when teams in the mix for a QB only believe that you're relevant if you're paired with 1 particular coach. That wasnt Manning/Brady's situation at all. The comparison is stupid. No one was holding Fitz from "cashing in". He's still a free agent for crying out loud. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Marshall is right about Scott's comments regarding pay days.  Since when have NFL players been limited to "one pay day"?  Fitz, sadly, is doing what anyone else in his position would do and trying to get max money.

I have no doubt his agent is telling him to sit tight and hope for an injury to a starting QB w/o a proven back up so another bidder possibly gets in the mix.

Bart is basically saying that there is no market for Fitz in respects to a 2nd pay day. We had four teams going into free agency seriously looking for a QB, one being the Jets. Reports this spring alluded to teams feeling like Fitz is only relevant in a system that has Chan Gailey as the coach. 

When there is no market for you then there is no 2nd pay day for you. Especially when you look at the 1st pay day and can easily concluded that that Bills in hindsight looked at that deal as a mistake. You cant say that for Brady/Manning. 

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bart is basically saying that there is no market for Fitz in respects to a 2nd pay day. We had four teams going into free agency seriously looking for a QB, one being the Jets. Reports this spring alluded to teams feeling like Fitz is only relevant in a system that has Chan Gailey as the coach. 

When there is no market for you then there is no 2nd pay day for you. Especially when you look at the 1st pay day and can easily concluded that that Bills in hindsight looked at that deal as a mistake. You cant say that for Brady/Manning. 

I think that's why he's still sitting.  Waiting for an injury to add another bidder.  Don't think it'll matter though.  Jets aren't gonna move much IMO.

Seriously I love Marshall but does it really matter what he thinks?  Or is it only when it is in support of Fitzpatrick?  

Brandon Marshall '100 percent confident' in Geno Smith as Jets' starter

Geno Smith
Geno Smith has a backer in Brandon Marshall. (AP Photo | Julio Cortez)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM, updated May 10, 2016 at 8:55 PM

NEW YORK — If, for some reason, the Jets don't re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, then Geno Smith could be The Guy again next season. 

Smith struggled as a starter from 2013-14, his first two seasons. Then he was Fitzpatrick's backup last season. Smith's career stats: 27 touchdown passes, 35 interceptions, and a 72.3 quarterback rating. 

Smith was relegated to that role after then-teammate IK Enemkpali slugged him during an August locker room dispute and broke his jaw. 

How would the Jets' top wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, feel about Smith potentially starting in 2016? 

"A hundred percent confident in Geno," Marshall told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. "I think he's grown so much from the first conversation I had with him, before I got traded [from Chicago last offseason], and also since [early] last year when we were roommates.

"He's an ultimate pro right now. I don't know if that's always been the answer [about him]. But I'm just so proud of the kid, because the areas where he's been challenged, he's grown and gotten better." 

Receiver Eric Decker recently expressed similar confidence in Smith, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Last year, the Jets drafted quarterback Bryce Petty in Round 4. This year, they drafted another quarterback, Christian Hackenberg, in Round 2. So it looks like they've moved on from Smith. 

Grading Jets' 2016 draft picks

Grading Jets' 2016 draft picks

How we see things.

But if Fitzpatrick isn't back in Florham Park next season, Smith might have another chance as the starter, since he is the most experienced quarterback among the Jets' current trio. And that would be just fine with Marshall, though he does really want the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick. 

Marshall spoke Tuesday evening in Manhattan before being honored with the Champion Award at the Child Mind Institute's Change Maker Awards banquet.

The awards recognize people and organizations who create meaningful change for children struggling with mental health and learning disorders. The Child Mind Institute is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping children and families who struggle with mental health and learning disorders. 

Marshall, diagnosed five years ago with borderline personality disorder, leads a foundation, Project 375, that raises awareness and funding for mental health issues. He recently testified before a U.S. Senate committee about those issues.

Marshall said the youth-oriented aspect of the Child Mind Institute's work resonates with him. 

"Whenever you have the opportunity to do preventative work and intervene earlier, to give not only our kids, but our world a better chance," he said. "This thing [mental health issues] presents itself in so many different ways, and it hits both ends of the [age] spectrum. When it came down to it, we really believed that the children were the answer." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

are you saying the D played well and mark was terrible in those title games?

Why is he on his third team in four seasons, all as a backup?  The guy got beat out by Nick Foles and Sam Bradford.  I guess none of these teams know greatness when they see it.

How Many points did he put up against Pittsburgh again?  

I know he handed them seven which was the difference in the game, but yeah, he was awesome.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets will be playing a bunch of good defensive teams with winning records this year.

How has Fitz done (including his "great year" last season) against teams like that in his career?

i swear i think i saw the same post from you years ago just with pennyboy wonder instead of fitz

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Why is he on his third team in four seasons, all as a backup?  The guy got beat out by Nick Foles and Sam Bradford.  I guess none of these teams know greatness when they see it.

I know he handed them seven which was the difference in the game, but yeah, he was awesome.

the only reason he isn't still here is b/c of the incompetence of Idzik and forcing Geno down rex's throat.

he went o philly having missed a year w/ injury where Foles threw 2 INts the year before, there wasn't a competition and last year they thought Bradford would be better- there's a reason the coach was fired.  No QB did a better job w/ Chip's O than mark in 2013.

17 pts against Pitt, a top D on the road in the title game which is the same Fitz put up against a Buf D that wasn't good and quit on their coach.  the difference in the game was our overrated defense getting run all over in the 1st half then not being able to get a stop in the 2nd half when we needed it most.

i swear i think i saw the same post from you years ago just with pennyboy wonder instead of fitz

Chan, it's always easier to recycle a 13 year old post than come up with a new one.

Especially when the Jets QB situation has not changed in well over a decade.

Good memory though!

32 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think that's why he's still sitting.  Waiting for an injury to add another bidder.  Don't think it'll matter though.  Jets aren't gonna move much IMO.

I actually havent thought of that. You think teams are willing to pay top dollar though just to cover an injury? Hopefully that team has that type of money available. 

That situation could work, but it's surely like a double edged sword, because the team with the injury must also have the cap room. 

48 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Cool, it's not my turn. :hap:

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I actually havent thought of that. You think teams are willing to pay top dollar though just to cover an injury? Hopefully that team has that type of money available. 

That situation could work, but it's surely like a double edged sword, because the team with the injury must also have the cap room. 

Depends on what you consider "top dollar".  For a QB, that's roughly $30 million per year.  Is that what you think Fitz is asking for?  I have no idea what he's asking for, but it cold be that he wants 11 or 12 and the Jets are offering 8 or 9.  

If a team w/o a decent backup loses their starter and it's the difference between competing and not competing, they may be willing to pony up 11 million for a guy who threw 31 TD's last season.  As far as available money, that's rarely an issue.  Teams move money around all the time.  Unless you're sitting at $2-3 million under the cap, it shouldn't be an issue.

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Fitz had a great season, but it all started with Brandon Marshall. Marshall quickly built chemistry with Fitz. Hell, Fitz threw the ball to Marshall several times last season and it should have been intercepted if not for the ball being thrown very high. That's what Marshall does. And yes, Marshall very much benefitted from that chemistry as well.

Here's the thing  about having WR's that go after the football on some errant throws. The Jets NEVER had that type of guy the last 17 years other than Keyshawn Johnson. I have been screaming for that big possession type WR for a long time, as a matter of fact, I wanted the Jets to go after Brandon Marshall when the Bears got him 5 years ago.

You can't make a claim like the QB is doing well now because he has Good WR's because most if not all of the elite QB's in the NFL ALWAYS have good to great WR's nobody does it on their own without help.

As great as Aaron Rodgers is do you think he's in the conversation if he's throwing to Clyde Gates and Chaz Shillens  and pussy ass Dustin Keller with no RB's to catch the football ? Do you think any of the Elite QB's out there are ? Do you think Drew Brees puts up 5k yards if he's not dumping the ball to his RB's at a 150 Reception clip every year ? Think there was a reason Brees had so many options with 4 RB's all capable of catching the football ?

The Jets have been a hot joke at the WR/TE/RB position for a very long time. While they have had some decent players at the positions they have never been balanced and they never had a big guy who would go fearlessly in traffic to catch the football. Most of your elite QB's know they can put the ball in an area and their top WR can go up and make a play for them and quite honestly the Jets never had that either other than Maybe Braylon Edwards but we promptly dumped him after 2 good years here.

The way this football team has handled QB's has been right up there with the worst teams in the NFL up until Macc who came in and signed Brandon Marshall but somehow for Jets fans this is a negative for the QB. I mean how dare you get good players to complement your QB .

We all knew when the Jets signed Decker who happens to be a damn good WR that it would not really work unless he had a good complement on the other side once we got that complement everything changed and in a big way and Decker is right back where he was when he had Peyton Manning throwing him the ball. Why? Because they had numerous weapons for Peyton to work with.

The Jets finally got a QB who gets rid of the ball quick, steps up into the pocket, avoids sacks has a good TD/INT ratio. knows how to throw and disguise a screen pass,. and does not fumble yet still find the time to complain.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he didn't have a top run game in 2010, the Ds were always overrated.  Put mark on the 2015 jets and we are in the playoffs, put Fitz on the 2009/2010 jets and we no way make a single title game.

We know that's you Mark. Listen it's nothing personal. You're on Denver now. Go convince them that you're really a good QB. 

9 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Lol you really do love Fitz. 

I like Fitz...which is why I've said the Jets should tell him to take a hike if $11 million isn't enough to get it done.  Let the other QB's fight it out, and hope like hell that Hack is the best of the three.

a

4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets will be playing a bunch of good defensive teams with winning records this year.

How has Fitz done (including his "great year" last season) against teams like that in his career?

Brandon Marshall dropped TD pass from Fitz would have been a win against Pats. 

Fitz is the best option of our 4 QBs for 2016 and, probably, 2017. Between $7-$10 mill per year I could live with and understand. Between $5-$8 million per year would be favorable. 

I want to make the playoffs THIS year. Fitz gives us the best chance to do that. 

Brandon Marshall dropped TD pass from Fitz would have been a win against Pats. 

Fitz is the best option of our 4 QBs for 2016 and, probably, 2017. Between $7-$10 mill per year I could live with and understand. Between $5-$8 million per year would be favorable. 

I want to make the playoffs THIS year. Fitz gives us the best chance to do that. 

Jets fans always have "one play" where they would have defeated the Pats. The reality of the situation is the Jets are 2-8 against the Pats in the most recent 10 games played.

Fitz does not give the Jets the best chance to make the playoffs. He'd be very lucky to win 5-7 games this year.

Jets need to start Geno for the first 3 games and then bring in Hack and see if he is the real deal or not.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets fans always have "one play" where they would have defeated the Pats. The reality of the situation is the Jets are 2-8 against the Pats in the most recent 10 games played.

Fitz does not give the Jets the best chance to make the playoffs. He'd be very lucky to win 5-7 games this year.

Jets need to start Geno for the first 3 games and then bring in Hack and see if he is the real deal or not.

Geno followed by hackenberg is not an option for a competitive team in 2016. They owe us "competitive"...don't give me a "throw-away year" ..the team owes the fans competitive.

fitz is the best option of the 4. If Fitz is out, and it comes down to the other three, THEN we're a top-5 pick in next year's draft.  

2 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Geno followed by hackenberg is not an option for a competitive team in 2016. They owe us "competitive"...don't give me a "throw-away year" ..the team owes the fans competitive.

fitz is the best option of the 4. If Fitz is out, and it comes down to the other three, THEN we're a top-5 pick in next year's draft.  

first off they don't owe us anything.

second, fitz is not the difference btw competitive and top 5 pick.  you'd rather waste money by overpaying Fitz to win 7-8 games than save cap space for the future w/ geno and win 6-7?

Geno followed by hackenberg is not an option for a competitive team in 2016.  

Do you seriously think the Jets can compete for a playoff position in 2016? If you do, all the best wishes to you.

Just one question, is it more important competing for the 6th playoff seed in 2016 or finding out if you have a franchise QB for the next 10+ years?

32 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

lol

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

where did he "swipe back"?

he's right for good players, they can get multiple big deals but Fitz swindled Buffalo and he's not going to do that to another team.

Exactly, why would any body ever sign, or draft, an interception machine ?  15 dropped int. last season.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you seriously think the Jets can compete for a playoff position in 2016? If you do, all the best wishes to you.

Just one question, is it more important competing for the 6th playoff seed in 2016 or finding out if you have a franchise QB for the next 10+ years?

I agree Fitz only beat bad defenses last year like your cheaters

45 minutes ago, rillo said:

I agree with Brandon, Scott was wrong for what he said about Fitzpatrick cashing in. Who is Scott to say anything about the next man's contract situation? It's a business.

Scott had no problem cashing in and being a below mediocre player

Archived