An In-depth look at the LB transformation.

Patriot Killa

Macc daddy did it again. He flipped a whole position group around in one year but this team he did it through the draft.

Third round pick(2015)

Lorenzo Mauldin

All reports indicate this guy is ready for the big leap. He had 14 tackles, 4 sacks and 1 forced fumble. I seen him flash such a high motor but sometimes he would run himself out of the play trying to be too aggressive.. I read an article a few days ago where Maludin said himself he has worked on playing more disciplined and just a bunch of positive things as far as progression in techniques and such go. He is only in his second year and he could already be a big impact player for us. Turning out to be a GREAT pick up by Macc.

First round pick(2016)

Darron Lee

After letting Demario Davis walk and not being able to snag a quality starter in FA, Macc turned to the draft to select, personally my favorite player we could of got on the defensive side. He has BLAZING speed and quick reaction along with a very high character. The quick reaction is the intial trait I picked up on when watching his film. Great football instinct and has a nose for the ball. He can cover and basically play as a 3rd safety without taking Calvin and Gilchrist out. Yes.. He is a little on the lighter side but when you see how Bowles is going to utilize him in his defense is integral to not only the expections of the pick itself but the success of the defense. Too many times we were burned on wheel routes. shifty scat backs and receiving tight ends were our defenses kryptonite. With a guy like him you can take care of that soft spot in the D. You have to watch how coach uses him to understand his full worth as the #20th pick. 

Third round pick(2016)

Jordan Jenkins

Kelly( if you are even a woman) and gentleman.. I present to you our new edge setter. This guy was so reliable in college and did the dirty work just for his teammate to get the shine... He never pouted once. He kept his head up and worked for that third round selection. Glad it was us... the kid is an instant starter and he is exactly the youth injection we need. Pace had a great run.. but now a new player has to emerge and hold down that side of the field for the next 10 years. Hopefully that is this guy. I have all the faith in him, he has a great character and a legendary work ethic.

UDFA(2016)

Freddie Bishop

He was signed to the Lions in 2013 and cut before the season started. He played in the CFL which had saw some success translate to the NFL. Example? Cameron Wake. He was great in the CFL recording 60 tackles, 14 sacks and 1 forced fumble in his time in Canada. He shows promise and has been flying around OTA's and Mini-camp. If the progression continues Ito training camp it will be hard not to keep him on the team as solid LB depth. He is only 26 and has plenty of potential to fill.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Macc daddy did it again. He flipped a whole position group around in one year but this team he did it through the draft.

Third round pick(2015)

Lorenzo Mauldin

All reports indicate this guy is ready for the big leap. He had 14 tackles, 4 sacks and 1 forced fumble. I seen him flash such a high motor but sometimes he would run himself out of the play trying to be too aggressive.. I read an article a few days ago where Maludin said himself he has worked on playing more disciplined and just a bunch of positive things as far as progression in techniques and such go. He is only in his second year and he could already be a big impact player for us. Turning out to be a GREAT pick up by Macc.

First round pick(2016)

Darron Lee

After letting Demario Davis walk and not being able to snag a quality starter in FA, Macc turned to the draft to select, personally my favorite player we could of got on the defensive side. He has BLAZING speed and quick reaction along with a very high character. The quick reaction is the intial trait I picked up on when watching his film. Great football instinct and has a nose for the ball. He can cover and basically play as a 3rd safety without taking Calvin and Gilchrist out. Yes.. He is a little on the lighter side but when you see how Bowles is going to utilize him in his defense is integral to not only the expections of the pick itself but the success of the defense. Too many times we were burned on wheel routes. shifty scat backs and receiving tight ends were our defenses kryptonite. With a guy like him you can take care of that soft spot in the D. You have to watch how coach uses him to understand his full worth as the #20th pick. 

Third round pick(2016)

Jordan Jenkins

Kelly( if you are even a woman) and gentleman.. I present to you our new edge setter. This guy was so reliable in college and did the dirty work just for his teammate to get the shine... He never pouted once. He kept his head up and worked for that third round selection. Glad it was us... the kid is an instant starter and he is exactly the youth injection we need. Pace had a great run.. but now a new player has to emerge and hold down that side of the field for the next 10 years. Hopefully that is this guy. I have all the faith in him, he has a great character and a legendary work ethic.

UDFA(2016)

Freddie Bishop

He was signed to the Lions in 2013 and cut before the season started. He played in the CFL which had saw some success translate to the NFL. Example? Cameron Wake. He was great in the CFL recording 60 tackles, 14 sacks and 1 forced fumble in his time in Canada. He shows promise and has been flying around OTA's and Mini-camp. If the progression continues Ito training camp it will be hard not to keep him on the team as solid LB depth. He is only 26 and has plenty of potential to fill.

I can't like this post enough.  What we have done with this group, from being one of weakest spots, and now it has a huge chance of being such a positive for our team. I too am enamored with Jenkins and think he will be an instant factor for us. Mauldin obviously played great In a Limited role and the sky is the limit for him. I love how we now have speed at this position. And as YankeeJet said, catapano is another promising piece who can really develop. Got to love what they have done here. 

Credit Sarge4Tide for the complete list, I thought it was worth a re-post in this thread since there will be good LB's that do not make the team, this was a major rebuild

To add to the OP's list I am glad to have Henderson back and I think Catapano, Reilly, and Carter will make some noise this year and Jones next year

52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
55 - Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
58 - Erin Henderson 6'3" 244 Maryland  (FA Re-signed with Jets)
57 - Trevor Reilly 6'5" 245 Utah
95 - Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia
49 - Taiwan Jones 6'3" 252 Michigan State
53 - Mike Catapano 6'4" 270 Princeton (DE?) (INJURED RESERVE 2015) (DL?)
50 - Deion Barnes 6'4" 255 Penn State (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
59 - Julian Howsare 6'3" 255 Clarion (FB?) (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
51 - Julian Stanford 6'1" 230 Wagner (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
56 - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan (CFL)
54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina (Signed as FA from Buccaneers)
50 - Darron Lee 6'1" 238 Ohio State (2016 Draft Pick)
48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia  (2016 Draft Pick)

7 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Credit Sarge4Tide for the complete list, I thought it was worth a re-post in this thread since there will be good LB's that do not make the team, this was a major rebuild

To add to the OP's list I am glad to have Henderson back and I think Catapano, Reilly, and Carter will make some noise this year and Jones next year

52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
55 - Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
58 - Erin Henderson 6'3" 244 Maryland  (FA Re-signed with Jets)
57 - Trevor Reilly 6'5" 245 Utah
95 - Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia
49 - Taiwan Jones 6'3" 252 Michigan State
53 - Mike Catapano 6'4" 270 Princeton (DE?) (INJURED RESERVE 2015) (DL?)
50 - Deion Barnes 6'4" 255 Penn State (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
59 - Julian Howsare 6'3" 255 Clarion (FB?) (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
51 - Julian Stanford 6'1" 230 Wagner (2015 PRACTICE SQUAD)
56 - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan (CFL)
54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina (Signed as FA from Buccaneers)
50 - Darron Lee 6'1" 238 Ohio State (2016 Draft Pick)
48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia  (2016 Draft Pick)

Almost forgot about Carter. Henderson will be great depth. Really reliable. I'd say Macc has done a absolutely great job getting the LB Corp fixed. Training camp is going to be so exciting.

Definitely excited about the youth/potential at LB.  On the flip side though, that's 3 potential starters with 1 combined season of experience.  Definitely gonna be some growing pains.

Thankfully our schedule is easy to start off.  :(

Definitely went from a team weakness to what looks like a team strength very rapidly.  All the reporters tweeting from mini camp noticed how much faster the defense is now.  If Revis can go back to being Revis and we find a suitable replacement for Cro, the D looks really good this year... 

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Definitely went from a team weakness to what looks like a team strength very rapidly.  All the reporters tweeting from mini camp noticed how much faster the defense is now.  If Revis can go back to being Revis and we find a suitable replacement for Cro, the D looks really good this year... 

Even in a down year for Revis, he still had something like the lowest average completion rate of passes against him.  He and the Jets D will be fine.

I'd say definitely top 10, potentially top 5.

50 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Even in a down year for Revis, he still had something like the lowest average completion rate of passes against him.  He and the Jets D will be fine.

I'd say definitely top 10, potentially top 5.

Yes, at 46% Revis may have slipped slightly but that margin doesn't call for concern at all. We were top 5 last season, correct? I see Top 3 in our future. We have solid corners, safety's and a great line... all we needed was a linebacker upgrade and it looks like it is starting to come together.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Definitely excited about the youth/potential at LB.  On the flip side though, that's 3 potential starters with 1 combined season of experience.  Definitely gonna be some growing pains.

Thankfully our schedule is easy to start off.  :(

Lee is not going to start.  Henderson is and he is going to be a beast.    Lee will get to learn a bit and be playing in sub packages.  

7 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Lee is not going to start.  Henderson is and he is going to be a beast.    Lee will get to learn a bit and be playing in sub packages.  

Probably.  Though I'm hoping that 4.7 speed (or whatever it is) gets him on the field as much as possible.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes, at 46% Revis may have slipped slightly but that margin doesn't call for concern at all. We were top 5 last season, correct? I see Top 3 in our future. We have solid corners, safety's and a great line... all we needed was a linebacker upgrade and it looks like it is starting to come together.

I'd love top 3.  Just tempering expectations a bit though.  Again, you never know how schedule/opponents will play out, but it sure looks like we're going from a cake-walk schedule that had some very timely key opponent injuries, to a schedule equivalent to getting a horse kick to the balls week after week.

The offense will have to do its part to keep the D fresh this season.

Jenkins seems like a popular sleeper already, I like. Well rounded guy - good student, younger than most NFL draftee seniors, solid combine, solid production in college....He was one of my favorite playere in the draft. There's a multi-year starter at OLB between he and Mauldin, maybe/hopefully even two.

Lee's a safe enough bet to be a quality player, hopefully he's alot more dynamic than even that. Taiwan Jones is a guy I am optimistic about because of his size and youth - second year pro is only 22. I hope he's taken to NFL life and improved his explosiveness because this is probably a make or break kind of year for him. 

There should be plenty of opportunity for a star or two to emerge behind this DL.

I wouldn't sleep on Bruce Carter.  He was pretty beastly during his non-injured tenure at Dallas.

Also of note, we hosted Victor Butler on a try-out basis during this past mini-camp.  He could be to the LB corp what Leger Douzable was to our DL these past few years.  

Archived