Patrick Peterson: Jets' Darrelle Revis 'still a shutdown corner'

Gas2No99

Patrick Peterson: Jets' Darrelle Revis 'still a shutdown corner'

20671308-mmmain.jpg

Is Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis still one of the best in the league? The evidence seems to suggest that he is. (Paul Sancya | AP)

By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Is Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in decline? Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson doesn't think so.

"Still a shutdown corner, in my opinion," Peterson said of Revis, per USA Today.

Revis, who turns 31 next week, has taken heat for not being some kind of Super Corner after his return to the Jets in 2015. It's partly a function of the $39 million in guaranteed money he signed on for. But the criticism makes it seem as though Revis had never before been beaten for touchdowns, or that the rules instituted in 2014 that place a greater emphasis on flagging contact after five yards haven't made the task of pass coverage more difficult.

Revis did get smoked last year by the Texans' DeAndre Hopkins, and he gave up nearly 100 yards in coverage in that gut-punch loss to the Bills at the end of the season, according to Pro Football Focus. The Jets were zone-heavy in that Bills game, however, and head coach Todd Bowles later said a lot of what went wrong that day wasn't entirely Revis' fault.

There were also a few occasions in which receivers had Revis beaten, only to have the quarterback miss his target.

Oh, and Revis played nearly the entire season with a wrist injury he never reported, but that was still severe enough to surgery after the season ended. It's still unclear if Revis will be healthy when training camp begins in three weeks.

Still, though:

Also:

Peterson didn't elaborate to USA Today on the subject of Revis, but he did weigh in on who he thought was the top cornerback in the league.

"At the end of the day, I know I'm the best," Peterson said. "I know I can get in the face of the receiver and I mean much more to my team versus those guys to their team."

Who's the best corner in the NFL is a debate for another time, though.

Bowles has said more than once since the end of last season that he still thinks Revis is an elite-level corner. Peterson seems to agree. There's enough evidence out there to suggest they're not wrong.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com

Revis is not what he was as a CB and opposing #1 WRs are only getting FASTER with each passing season; Revis will be more effective as a FS in 2-3 years if he decides to extend his playing career as long as physically possible at a RESPECTABLE level (the D'Brick school of thought).

There is no argument. Revis is a shutdown corner. Slow and out of place LB play really hurt the Jets last season. The Eagles and Bills took advantage of those factors. With more looks coming from the Front 7 teams will not look at 24 much this season.

There is no argument. Revis is a shutdown corner. Slow and out of place LB play really hurt the Jets last season. The Eagles and Bills took advantage of those factors. With more looks coming from the Front 7 teams will not look at 24 much this season.

Revis was a shutdown corner.

Not anymore.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Not anymore.

Everyone gets older. 

But Revis has maintained his level of cornerbacking better than you've maintained your level of trolling, so we have that. 

22 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Not anymore.

All told, per PFF, Revis was targeted five times and gave up three catches for 47 yards—a pretty good day personally, even if the team result

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/how_did_darrelle_revis_return_to_foxborough_go_in.html

Game  2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-tom-brady-gets-stranded-on-revis-island-with-rob-gronkowski/

Peterson is right. Anyone getting overly critical regarding the games against Houston (Hopkins) and the Bills (Watkins), both games Revis was injured in is in fact overly critical. 

Not taking away from either from those WR's. I think Hopkins would have had somewhat of a similar outcome because he's a beast like that, no matter who's the defender. But Watkin's week 17 performance was purely based on the fact that Revis had that wrist injury and couldnt press because of it, and since he couldnt press to slow Watkins down or mess out the route timing he HAD to play off coverage to respect Watkins speed. Good job by the offensive coordinator of the Bills to recognize the defensive hole and taking advantage of it. 

The rest of the season Revis was the typical shutdown corner. Not elite as in his prime, but shutdown nonetheless. 

Peterson is right. Anyone getting overly critical regarding the games against Houston (Hopkins) and the Bills (Watkins), both games Revis was injured in is in fact overly critical. 

For crying out loud, Revis had a little boo-boo on his wrist.

It's not like he was playing with a pulled hammy or strained ACL.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know if Revis cut his salary in half for the good of the team, Fitz would already be signed.

Hell would freeze over before he would do that. They are afraid to ask him just to restructure. 

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know if Revis cut his salary in half for the good of the team, Fitz would already be signed.

FYI: Being able to troll Rangers doesn't earn you many troll points, either. 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

FYI: Being able to troll Rangers doesn't earn you many troll points, either. 

We're having a discussion. In this case I agree with him.  He needles our team, yeah. And a lot of message boards wouldn't tolerate it. That's a JN decision. But insulting the guy imo is out of line. You can put him on ignore. 

41 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We're having a discussion. In this case I agree with him.  He needles our team, yeah. And a lot of message boards wouldn't tolerate it. That's a JN decision. But insulting the guy imo is out of line. You can put him on ignore. 

Good post.

A healthy Revis may still be the best corner in the league.  We'll see this year...I don't think Norman is a true man-to-man CB, and Sherman only plays one side.  Peterson is really good but I'm not sure if he's better than a healthy Revis.

A healthy Revis may still be the best corner in the league.

Revis hasn't been the best CB in the league since 2010. He is nowhere near the best CB in 2016, not even close.

So his little wrist boo-boo was the reason he got torched by Hopkins and Watkins?

27 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

A healthy Revis may still be the best corner in the league.  We'll see this year...I don't think Norman is a true man-to-man CB, and Sherman only plays one side.  Peterson is really good but I'm not sure if he's better than a healthy Revis.

I agree.  Last year he was hampered with a groin and wrist injury and was still one of the best CBs in football. Lets see what he does this season, I'm optimistic.

I don't really see how any Jets fan could defend that Revis contract. It is way over what other CBs get in term of guaranteed money. And if Mac is such a tough negotiator how come he "caved in" to Revis' demands on his first day of free agency. His play is not up to that standard anymore. It was before his injury but not now. Every player is banged up and plays injured in the NFL. So if you're on the field no excuses. 

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't really see how any Jets fan could defend that Revis contract. It is way over what other CBs get in term of guaranteed money. And if Mac is such a tough negotiator how come he "caved in" to Revis' demands on his first day of free agency. His play is not up to that standard anymore. It was before his injury but not now. Every player is banged up and plays injured in the NFL. So if you're on the field no excuses. 

And on the other hand, Mac sucks because he's not signing Fitz to the contract he wants. Lol. Someday, Ryan Fitzpatrick will visit the Revis exhibit in the Pro Football HoF. 

51 minutes ago, slats said:

And on the other hand, Mac sucks because he's not signing Fitz to the contract he wants. Lol. Someday, Ryan Fitzpatrick will visit the Revis exhibit in the Pro Football HoF. 

Revis not Fitz is my all time favorite Jets player but he's no longer an elite shut down corner anymore. Idzik did a great job trading him and getting excellent compensation for an injured player and not "caving in" and giving him that kind of a deal. But that Mac contract is stupid and killed our cap. Revis will get into the HOF and probably Fitz will visit Canton to see him. No kidding he's not going to see himself, nobody ever said he was. They're not in the same category as players obviously. But in 2015 Fitz was more valuable to the Jets than Revis was. And Revis wants him back. Something that you guys don't do is to listen to what the players are saying. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

How the hell do you jam when you are always giving a 10-yard cushion?

Ever consider that he was giving the cushion because he couldn't get a good jam?  You probably didn't because as I said you probably haven't played CB at any level.

Archived