Geno to start preseason with chance to prove himself?

JohnnyLV

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well who gives us our best chance to make the playoffs in 2016 then. Fitz or Geno. Now, tell the truth. If you really think Geno then ok. 

Fitz had his most talented supporting cast of his career with the playoffs on the line week 17 and produced the numbers he produced. 

I'll go with Geno Smith. Atleast Geno's 2-0 during week 17 games. Some would be quick to respond and say "Well those games meant nothing", well, before you guys do that, let me remind you that last season's week 17 did mean something and Geno wasnt the QB. What happened? 

With that said, I'd rather see what Geno can do over a guy who's already shown us 11 years in a row including 1 year with playoffs on the line what he could do.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For the  3rd or 4th time this thread. Decker was a weapon WHEN HEALTHY in 2014. The other guys? Not so much. The difference between his injuries from last year is how they lingered. He dealt with the Hammy ALL YEAR. That means guys who suck get more playing time.  That was the issue. We had ONE weapon for the most part and when he went down or was severely limited, which was often, the talent behind him wasn't enough. It's not rocket science. It's why Idzik got fired. It's why we traded for Brandon Marshall and considered Amari Cooper in the first round if he fell last year.  It's why half the guys from the 2014 WR corps aren't in the NFL anymore. The 2014 Jet offense sucked. 

The 2015 injury adds nothing to this conversation because it didn't linger like the Hammy. He continued to put up phenomenal numbers after he was healed up. It didn't linger.

Guys are afraid to admit that because it will kill their argument of "Geno had weaponzzz too". Sure, an injured Decker was better than anything else we had on that team, but the constant comparisons and ridiculous comments such as "Harvin and Marshall were just changing one probowler for the another" shows the type of mentality we're dealing with here. 

I've never seen hate blind so much to the point that people cant come to grips about Deckers situation in 2014 or Harvin's actual status as a WR. 

As long as the Jets give Geno an opportunity at the QB position im fine. All the hating and ignoring of facts by some fans come with the territory. 

Wow. Let me add to this topic.  I have to start by saying I'm no Geno Fan, but the teams he played in as the starting QB did suck

Smith in 2014 had a 96 rating on throws to Eric Decker

When he threw to the team’s other wide receivers, including Jeremy Kerley, Percy Harvin, Greg Salas and David Nelson, his efficiency declined 37%

It's not a definite conclusion, but it's safe to say that Receivers not named Eric Decker contributed to his terrible seasons. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

......yeah, those are MY "expectations" should he be given a second chance.

Brilliant.  

Do I think he will hit them? No not really considering the ridiculous schedule.

Ah, the excuses begin already.  And there is nothing "ridiculous" about our schedule btw.

But I have more faith that he will at least match what Fitz would put up if he went up against defenses better than the Jags, Giants, Titans, etc.  See you were so quick to come back with snarky sarcastic responses you missed my point completely.

Not interested in your point.  I'm interested in hearing from geno's supporters about how he will exceed everything Fitz did last year, since he's so clearly head and shoulders better.  Sadly, Geno supporters may get close to this, but always have to make the same excuses for Geno in advance, betraying their lack of faith in "their guy".

First it was being a rookie, then it was talent, then it was a punch, now it'll be schedule.  One can only wonder how many Jets Fans willbe pining for Geno in 2017 saying he "was never given a fair chance" despite getting four years worth of fair, competition-free, chances.

Geno is cheap.  Geno has more physical ability. Geno is younger.

All of which should mean better performance than, as you say, Fitzf*ckface.

Our schedule suck eggs and we're probably going to get ass-blasted regardless of who's behind center a number of games this year.

Stop whining, it's a schedule.  Every game every year is against NFL teams and NFL players, and last years stats don't mean they'll be replicated this year, now do they?  certainly you're not saying we'll replicate our Offensive stats this year, yet someone, somewhere, is whining because the Jets are on their Schedule and makes their SoS harder too......

I would rather tell Ryan to go Fitzf*ck himself for turning down a 12mil offer, take that money and roll into next year, and sink or swim with Geno.

Looks more and more like you'll get your wish.  Would just be nice if you weren't already making excuses for why Geno won't perform or produce.

Pretty f*cking simple when you aren't trying to be a sarcastic d*ck all the time.

Cry me a river.  

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Nope, talking to a guy who starts off saying "Lets get the facts straight" yet when you try he sidesteps. 

I may be right, I may be wrong, but sidestepping has never been my problem. Thanks for your concern though. :-) 

So. Easy.

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You own reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.

The 2014 offense sucked because of the QB not in spite of him.

If the 2015 opponents provided a far easier target than the 2014 opponents then you would expect EVERYONE who played both years to benefit from that easier schedule.

Decker was injured both years and missed one start in both years.  His other statistics were very similar in both years.  So the notion that he was simply a "decoy" in 2014 is a complete crock and unsupported by the results.  Perhaps you are simply hallucinating?  Or perhaps like many others here you an agenda to make the 2014 team look worse than it really was because if you are successful then it makes Geno look relatively better than he really was.

But by all means carry on.

Considering every post you've made has missed the point entirely, im not the one with reading comprehension issues. Keep going lil fella, you'll catch up eventually. 

The 2014 offense sucked because of everything. From the QB's, Talent, Coaches, etc. Everything sucked. We fired a second year GM because our team was so poorly built.  How is this so hard for you to grasp.  If you walked onto national television and attempted to defend that team, you'd be laughed out of the building.  Just stop with the Decker thing.  Not only are you completely wrong on that, but it's not even the point here. It never was.  

Please give it a rest.  You called Percy Harvin a super bowl MVP.  You've argued with me in the past that he was just as good as Brandon Marshall.  You said that the 2014 team and 2015 team weren't that far apart in talent.  I am actually starting to feel bad at this point.

45 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You own reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.

The 2014 offense sucked because of the QB not in spite of him.

If the 2015 opponents provided a far easier target than the 2014 opponents then you would expect EVERYONE who played both years to benefit from that easier schedule.

Decker was injured both years and missed one start in both years.  His other statistics were very similar in both years.  So the notion that he was simply a "decoy" in 2014 is a complete crock and unsupported by the results.  Perhaps you are simply hallucinating?  Or perhaps like many others here you an agenda to make the 2014 team look worse than it really was because if you are successful then it makes Geno look relatively better than he really was.

But by all means carry on.

You're out of your mind if you even for one second believe that the 2014 team was comparable on any level with the 2015 team, especially with the offense.  I know it doesn't fit your obvious anti Geno agenda but stop insulting people for being more knowledgeable than you obviously are.  From th rosters, to Deckers injuries, to Harvin, to the SB MVP and Curtis Martin you're proving yourself to be clueless, insulting, pompous and loud. 

Carry on?  Lol, sure

1 hour ago, slats said:

You're like a regular straw man factory. 

No Straw men here.

Whomever plays QB, I demand they match or exceed what we got last year.  Because we are a better team with better talent literally everywhere except at QB, where we are either less (Fitz vs. Petty) or equal (Geno & Fitz vs Geno & Fitz).

Now, unlike Geno Fans, I'm happy to say that Fitz ABSOLUTELY MUST meet or exceed what he did in 2015 or he has failed.  No question about it, if we're to sign him, he absolutely must replicate or exceed that year's production.  Top 10 Offense with this talent or GTFO.  No pre-emptive excuse making.  he fails to reach it, he can kiss his ass goodbye.

It's only Geno fans who refuse to hold "their guy" to such a standard, making excuse after excuse before a single snap is taken as to why Geno will fail, and why it won;t be his fault (yet again).  **** sake, hold your guy to SOME standards for change.  And I know, because it happens every QB we draft, they'll be the same old same old folks pining for Geno after he's gone, lamenting how it was never his fault, etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No Straw men here.

Whomever plays QB, I demand they match or exceed what we got last year.  Because we are a better team with better talent literally everywhere except at QB, where we are either less (Fitz vs. Petty) or equal (Geno & Fitz vs Geno & Fitz).

Now, unlike Geno Fans, I'm happy to say that Fitz ABSOLUTELY MUST meet or exceed what he did in 2015 or he has failed.  No question about it, if we're to sign him, he absolutely must replicate or exceed that year's production.  Top 10 Offense with this talent or GTFO.  No pre-emptive excuse making.  he fails to reach it, he can kiss his ass goodbye.

It's only Geno fans who refuse to hold "their guy" to such a standard, making excuse after excuse before a single snap is taken as to why Geno will fail, and why it won;t be his fault (yet again).  **** sake, hold your guy to SOME standards for change.  And I know, because it happens every QB we draft, they'll be the same old same old folks pining for Geno after he's gone, lamenting how it was never his fault, etc, etc.

Thats nice that you demand this but the league is littered with teams that improve from one season to the next without it reflecting in the w/l record.  Schedules, injuries etc do effect records too. 

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The people who know everything have spoken.  There is no way Geno could ever actually improve even with Brandon Mashall, healthy Decker, Matt Forte and a real offensive coordinator 

It's fact.  Can't happen.  Never.  

And there's an out.  If the team plays better, improves but the record isnt better, it's a failed season.  Wasted in fact. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And there's an out.  If the team plays better, improves but the record isnt better, it's a failed season.  Wasted in fact. 

Yes its a prime example of where 2 years of evidence is more telling than 11 years .

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Brilliant.  

Ah, the excuses begin already.  And there is nothing "ridiculous" about our schedule btw.

Not interested in your point.  I'm interested in hearing from geno's supporters about how he will exceed everything Fitz did last year, since he's so clearly head and shoulders better.  Sadly, Geno supporters may get close to this, but always have to make the same excuses for Geno in advance, betraying their lack of faith in "their guy".

First it was being a rookie, then it was talent, then it was a punch, now it'll be schedule.  One can only wonder how many Jets Fans willbe pining for Geno in 2017 saying he "was never given a fair chance" despite getting four years worth of fair, competition-free, chances.

All of which should mean better performance than, as you say, Fitzf*ckface.

Stop whining, it's a schedule.  Every game every year is against NFL teams and NFL players, and last years stats don't mean they'll be replicated this year, now do they?  certainly you're not saying we'll replicate our Offensive stats this year, yet someone, somewhere, is whining because the Jets are on their Schedule and makes their SoS harder too......

Looks more and more like you'll get your wish.  Would just be nice if you weren't already making excuses for why Geno won't perform or produce.

Cry me a river.  

More of the same from you.  Sarcastic posts with next to no football knowledge or substance.

I made no excuses and for the umpteenth time am no Geno "fanboy".  Simply said I doubt that there's going to be much of a difference between the two this year.  Knowing you, it doesn't shock me that you couldn't grasp that properly. 

You can probably get the same production of Fitz out of Geno with this roster.  Long story short, there isn't a wide gap between the two. Geno and Fitz are both limited read, turnover prone QB's that in the right situations could be capable starters, especially with a guy like Gailey helping them out. The big difference between the two is that Fitz wants to be paid like Sam Bradford and Geno is still on a rookie deal that equates to peanuts.  By the way, pretend the schedule doesn't matter all you want.  It does.  Only an idiot thinks otherwise.  

Does it make you feel better to hear me admit that I think that they will both suck this year?  Does that get your pompous "know it all" rocks off?  I certainly don't like it.  That's why I don't want to throw big money at a mediocre QB to watch him suck all year long. I'd rather roll that money to next year and pray to whatever is listening that the .00000000001 chance Geno becomes the second coming of Namath becomes reality.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Alex Smith and Drew Brees were both bad for the first several years of their careers.  

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Yes its a prime example of where 2 years of evidence is more telling than 11 years .

We are talking about one poster who is insisting that Harvin is the equal of Marshall because he was the SB MVP.  On Madden or some other fantasy game he watched.  

Guess the only reason he went from a MVP to scrub is Geno.

Or Vick

Or Russel Wilson

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats nice that you demand this but the league is littered with teams that improve from one season to the next without it reflecting in the w/l record.  Schedules, injuries etc do effect records too. 

But but buttttt.....THE SCHEDULE DOESN'T MATTTTTER ?

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

But but buttttt.....THE SCHEDULE DOESN'T MATTTTTER ?

Too many absolutes from this on.  Fitz was the greatest QB since Namath in one thread and he doesn't really care who's the QB in another to Geno sucks later 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Too many absolutes from this on.  Fitz was the greatest QB since Namath in one thread and he doesn't really care who's the QB in another to Geno sucks later 

Can't lose when you play for both teams.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And in the 2 years he went 8-8 with the worst offensive roster in the history of football and the other the roster was basically the same but had Decker who was out for half the season

6 minutes ago, Bronx Jet01 said:

We have to exceed last year when the schedule is one of the most difficult in the entire NFL? Ok, very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The set up is in.

If Geno puts up good numbers, as good or better than Fitz from 2015 and the Jets through the schedule, injuries whatever win fewer than 10 they'll bash their QB and puff their chests out

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No Straw men here.

I couldn't care less if our QB approaches Fitz's #s from last year, #s are nice but this game is about WINS and making plays to win.  if our QB(whether Fitz or Geno) throws 20 TDs, 15 INTs and makes plays to help get us to the playoffs I will be thrilled.  If the QB throws 40 TDs, 6 INts and fails in big spots to help us get to the playoffs I will be pissed.  I don't care in any way about meaningless fantasy #s.

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I couldn't care less if our QB approaches Fitz's #s from last year, #s are nice but this game is about WINS and making plays to win.

Generally speaking, QB performance numbers = a better chance to win.  So if you care about wins, you inherently care about QB #'s.

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

if our QB(whether Fitz or Geno) throws 20 TDs, 15 INTs and makes plays to help get us to the playoffs I will be thrilled.

That's probably not going to happen.  Lets look at last year's playoff QB's as an example:

Carolina (Newton):  35 TD's, 10 INT's
Arizona (Palmer):  35 TD's, 11 INT's
Vikings (Bridgewater):  14 TD's, 9 INT's (& Adrian Peterson)
Redskins (Cousins):  29 TD's, 11 INT's
Packers (Rodgers):  31 TD's, 8 INT's
Seattle (Wilson):  34 TD's, 8 INT's

Patriots (Brady):  36 TD's, 7 INT's
Broncos (Manning/Osweller):  19 TD's, 23 INT's (and the #1 Overall Defense in the NFL, #1 vs. Run, #3 vs. Pass)
Cincy (Dalton):  25 TD's, 7 INT's
Houston (QB by Committee):  29 TD's, 12 INT's (19/7 for Hoyer)
K.C. (Smith):  20 TD's, 7 INT's
Pittsburgh (Rapist):  21 TD's, 16 INT's (and Hurt, Weakest Team to Make It (In place of us)).

So as you can see, 20 TD's, 15 INT's does really cut it unless you have the #1 Overall Defense, or have Adrian Peterson, or have a Pittsburgh-like lucky break and back in.

Personally, I will be much, MUCH less than thrilled to see our QB throw a 20/15 type season.  That's a complete failure at the position, put simply.  It will leave an easily playoff-level talented team sitting outside once again.

So no, we need closer to 30/10 or 32/12 to be a contender.  Can Geno put that up?  If so, start him.  If not, well, you can either pay Fitz and see if he can do it again, or you can sacrifice an entire season with a damn good roster to "see what we have". 

More of the same from you.  Sarcastic posts

I'm sorry.  Do you need Max to provide you a "Safe Space", like today's college kids, where you can happily say what you like and never have anyone question it?  I'm sure Max will give you what you need, why not PM him.

And yes, that's yet more sarcasm.

with next to no football knowledge or substance.

Funny how it's generally the Pro-Geno folks who accuse me of that, and only since this off-season started.  Funny, that.

Simply said I doubt that there's going to be much of a difference between the two this year.  Knowing you, it doesn't shock me that you couldn't grasp that properly.

Oh, I grasp it, it's a simplistic opinion that is basically a punt on actual analysis.  It's an defacto "Doesn't matter anyway", which simply isn't a reflection of reality to-date.

By the way, pretend the schedule doesn't matter all you want.  It does.  Only an idiot thinks otherwise.

The Strength of Schedule excuse only matters until the first snap of 2016 is played.  2016 teams are not the same as 2015 teams.  For example, we're better than we were last year almost across the board, except at QB.  Other teams have dropped, some have risen.  What those teams won in 2015 is vaguely relevant, but not nearly as relevant as who we play and what we do and where we improved or fall off.  They play the games on the field, not in a simulation where previous year SoS drives future results.

Does it make you feel better to hear me admit that I think that they will both suck this year?

Nope, it's sad.  It speaks to our beloved teams seemingly endless failure to land a legitimate franchise QB.

And now we have Hack.  So, yeah.

Does that get your pompous "know it all" rocks off?  I certainly don't like it.  

I am definitely pompous.  And arrogant.  And right vastly more often than wrong.

But I don't post to get my rocks off, I post because I live out of state, and this is the entire interaction I get with my fellow Jets Fans.  

That's why I don't want to throw big money at a mediocre QB to watch him suck all year long. I'd rather roll that money to next year and pray to whatever is listening that the .00000000001 chance Geno becomes the second coming of Namath becomes reality.  

There is no chance Geno becomes Namath.  He is what we think he is, a bust who'll be out of the league in a year or three, on his way to his last gig as a #2/#3 someplace else.

And Hack.....lol, right.  No betting man is placing that bet.

So this is the reality for us for years to come, barring some miracle.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

No Straw men here.

Then I think your best bet, if being right is important to you, is to have Geno start this season. Because I don't think either qb is going to exceed Fitz' season last year, at least in the all important TD:int ratio. I don't see the team as completely better everywhere but QB. The offensive additions would be Forte, Clady, and -I guess- Amaro. They could all be improvements, but none of them is a lock to be an improvement. Defensively, they downgraded with the loss of Snacks, and are really relying on Mauldin and the rookies to really overhaul the LBs in a meaningful way, and for someone (anyone!) to beat out Skrine for the outside spot. 

And of course, the Jets will not have the easiest schedule in the league for the second year in a row, and it'll probably dip below 50° once or twice before the end of the season. The thing I don't get with people who want to pay Fitz the contract on the table, or perhaps a different one he prefers, is the ability to completely gloss over just how easy the defenses the team faced last year were. How healthy the team was overall, and how we caught other teams with key injuries. The lack of wind or rain or anything. It was a perfect set-up, and it gets completely ignored. Even with that, Fitz couldn't improve upon Geno's comp% or ypa from 2014. He broke a TD record tied by Mark Sanchez, pay the man! 

The only problem is that I think Geno has a much better chance to improve on last year's numbers than Fitz. Sure, he also has a chance to really suck, but we've seen Fitz at his peak. Good defenses shut him down. They take away the run and the short stuff, and he has nowhere to go. Geno, at least, has the physical capabilities to possibly overcome that. As I've said all along, I'd save the money and roll with that. 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The people who know everything have spoken.  There is no way Geno could ever actually improve even with Brandon Mashall, healthy Decker, Matt Forte and a real offensive coordinator 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Alex Smith and Drew Brees were both bad for the first several years of their careers.  

And so did Fitz...and he was much worse for a much longer period of time.

There is a not so subtle difference between Geno and those guys which in turn makes him dumb and incapable of getting better.  I'll let you figure out what the not so subtle detail is.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Generally speaking, QB performance numbers = a better chance to win.  So if you care about wins, you inherently care about QB #'s.

That's probably not going to happen.  Lets look at last year's playoff QB's as an example:

Carolina (Newton):  35 TD's, 10 INT's
Arizona (Palmer):  35 TD's, 11 INT's
Vikings (Bridgewater):  14 TD's, 9 INT's (& Adrian Peterson)
Redskins (Cousins):  29 TD's, 11 INT's
Packers (Rodgers):  31 TD's, 8 INT's
Seattle (Wilson):  34 TD's, 8 INT's

Patriots (Brady):  36 TD's, 7 INT's
Broncos (Manning/Osweller):  19 TD's, 23 INT's (and the #1 Overall Defense in the NFL, #1 vs. Run, #3 vs. Pass)
Cincy (Dalton):  25 TD's, 7 INT's
Houston (QB by Committee):  29 TD's, 12 INT's (19/7 for Hoyer)
K.C. (Smith):  20 TD's, 7 INT's
Pittsburgh (Rapist):  21 TD's, 16 INT's (and Hurt, Weakest Team to Make It (In place of us)).

So as you can see, 20 TD's, 15 INT's does really cut it unless you have the #1 Overall Defense, or have Adrian Peterson, or have a Pittsburgh-like lucky break and back in.

Personally, I will be much, MUCH less than thrilled to see our QB throw a 20/15 type season.  That's a complete failure at the position, put simply.  It will leave an easily playoff-level talented team sitting outside once again.

So no, we need closer to 30/10 or 32/12 to be a contender.  Can Geno put that up?  If so, start him.  If not, well, you can either pay Fitz and see if he can do it again, or you can sacrifice an entire season with a damn good roster to "see what we have". 

we had great QB #s last year and didn't win, Philip Rivers, jay Cutler and others have a made a career out of it.  I don't care about out of context #s, I care more about how numbers were accumulated than the accumulations.

there's no way our QB will throw 20 and 15 w/ this talent(assuming it stays healthy) but if he does and we win I'm happy.

we sacrificed 2015 w/ Fitz so what is the difference? it's great he put up nice #s but what did it get us?  a team as talented as any we have had in my lifetime couldn't even make the playoffs w/ that weak sched and in a down year for the AFC,

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

we had great QB #s last year and didn't win, Philip Rivers, jay Cutler and others have a made a career out of it.  I don't care about out of context #s, I care more about how numbers were accumulated than the accumulations.

there's no way our QB will throw 20 and 15 w/ this talent(assuming it stays healthy) but if he does and we win I'm happy.

we sacrificed 2015 w/ Fitz so what is the difference? it's great he put up nice #s but what did it get us?  a team as talented as any we have had in my lifetime couldn't even make the playoffs w/ that weak sched and in a down year for the AFC,

These guys were top 10 performers from a TD perspective.  Fitz, Bortles, Stafford, Eli, Brees, Carr.  They didnt make the playoffs but they were probably fun on your fantasy team.

23 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It has nothing to do with spin. Bowles has openly said Fitzpatrick is the starter the second he puts pen to paper. 

In March... i'm not sure 2 days before training camp - that narrative remains the same. 

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If we're looking at the season at the macro level the putrid Special Teams probably cost the Jets as much if not more than anything.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If we're looking at the season at the macro level the putrid Special Teams probably cost the Jets as much if not more than anything.

I have never solely blamed it on Fitz, he played well the majority of the season but in the end w/o a playoff app it's meaningless especially when he played so poorly in that Buffalo game.

I want Fitz back at the right price but I am comfortable giving Geno another shot.

Archived