Geno to start preseason with chance to prove himself?

JohnnyLV

There have been a couple reports of the Jets giving Geno extended playing time in the first couple of preseason games and then after that making a decision on whether to bring in Fitz mid camp. That seemed unlikely to me, but Bowles comments yesterday seem to back up the idea:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/24/todd-bowles-its-not-just-about-the-quarterback/

Todd Bowles: It’s not just about the quarterback

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 27:  Head coach Todd Bowles of the New York Jets looks on before a game against the Philadelphia Eagles at MetLife Stadium on September 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Alex Goodlett/Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets closed one of their long-running offseason subplots when they signed defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a five-year contract on July 15, which left only the Ryan Fitzpatrick saga unresolved heading into training camp.

The impasse between the team and last year’s starting quarterback has been well documented to this point and coach Todd Bowles didn’t offer any updates during an interview with Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. He did say that he’s willing to move on with Geno Smith should things play out that way and offered a reminder that other positions will play a role in determining the Jets’ fate this season.

“I think Geno can be a good starter, but he’s got to prove it in training camp like everybody else,” Bowles said. “It’s not just about the quarterback position. You got to have a team around that position to play ball, but he’s been in the system a year. He has a better grasp of it going into training camp and we’ll see what he does.”

The rest of the Jets team and Fitzpatrick were able to navigate their way to 10 wins under Bowles last season, although that wasn’t enough for the team to make it to the playoffs. With players like Wilkerson, Darrelle Revis, Sheldon Richardson, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall on hand, the cast around the quarterback has star power again this season and Bowles knows that it is “win-now every year” for the team. Re-signing Fitzpatrick doesn’t assure the Jets will improve on last year’s finish, but it isn’t hard to see fingers pointing in that direction should the Jets stumble without him running the offense.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There have been a couple reports of the Jets giving Geno extended playing time in the first couple of preseason games and then after that making a decision on whether to bring in Fitz mid camp. That seemed unlikely to me, but Bowles comments yesterday seem to back up the idea:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/24/todd-bowles-its-not-just-about-the-quarterback/

Todd Bowles: It’s not just about the quarterback

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 27:  Head coach Todd Bowles of the New York Jets looks on before a game against the Philadelphia Eagles at MetLife Stadium on September 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Alex Goodlett/Getty Images)Getty Images

“I think Geno can be a good starter, but he’s got to prove it in training camp like everybody else,” Bowles said. “It’s not just about the quarterback position. You got to have a team around that position to play ball, but he’s been in the system a year. He has a better grasp of it going into training camp and we’ll see what he does.”

Good to see that our HC understands this reality 

I know many criticize Geno for being a bad leader and suggest that the locker room is not behind him, but he has not really done anything that bad for the locker room to actually turn on him or the offense not play hard for him if he is named starter as QB. Until further notice, people really need to put that out of their minds, regardless of how much Decker or whoever want Fitz back. Right now, Geno has the most experience, he's the most polished at this point and he's had a full year learning the system and getting accustomed to the O-coordinator and coaches. Its really his job to lose and I think he will prove it early in camp.

I don't know how the season will go with Geno at the helm. The Jets might struggle early and it might lead to a downward spiral. They might struggle and bounce back, they might do well early and gain confidence after a good start against their toughest competition.

But I DO believe regardless of how the first 6 weeks play out, regardless of whether the Jets get into the playoffs, or just miss out or not even come close, if Geno starts all 16 games, you will see him put together a very good season overall. He will cut down on turnovers and increase TDs as well at completion %. The last time he got to play a full season he did just that with considerably less weapons.

I really expect him to play well, and I think the Jets have similar confidence in him. If he does well, the odds are heavily in his favor that the Jets will do well.

It's not a rousing endorsement for Geno it's a lukewarm endorsement. He says we'll see how it goes. But the only way for Geno to prove his worth isn't exhibition games its regular season games. I didn't see anything about using the first two exhibition games as kind of a way to decide whether they sign Fitz or not. They've said they want him back and not for one year but for 3. Either as starter for 3 years or starter and then backup. If Fitz signs that probably means that Geno isn't in their future plans. Right now it looks like their future guy is Hack. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not a rousing endorsement for Geno it's a lukewarm endorsement. He says we'll see how it goes. But the only way for Geno to prove his worth isn't exhibition games its regular season games. I didn't see anything about using the first two exhibition games as kind of a way to decide whether they sign Fitz or not. They've said they want him back and not for one year but for 3. Either as starter for 3 years or starter and then backup. If Fitz signs that probably means that Geno isn't in their future plans. Right now it looks like their future guy is Hack. 

Always putting the NEGATIVE spin on anything POSITIVE about Geno Smith

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Hopefully Fitz is in football shape if they bring him back mid-August.

Not being able to use the facilities at Florham Park is a disadvantage for sure. But if he's a professional then he stays in shape, it's his job. Plus if he does sign with another team he would be expected to go in and be ready to play mentally and physically. I would think he would maybe even hire a Qb coach to work out with to keep sharp. And be throwing to somebody. We know he's been playing a lot of golf.?

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Really Ranger? 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It has nothing to do with spin. Bowles has openly said Fitzpatrick is the starter the second he puts pen to paper. 

Bowles is a fool for saying if he did,shouldn't the head coach be endorsing his QB who is currently signed and will be on the roster. 

The Jets are constantly surrounded by a fiasco year after year, 

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Saying they want Fitz back also isn't a "rousing endorsement" cuz it's been 6 months, there's nothing holding them back n they have still not signed him. Sounds to me Jets don't value Fitz anything more than an $8mil a year QB.

Is there anyone here that thinks Hack will be ready to go next year? He's far more raw than Geno ever was n I believe Geno was ready to start in year 3. 

So, Jets need a QB for at least 2 years before they can have one of their own be ready. Keeping things in context, Jets reportedly wanna pay Fitz $8mil a year. That puts him right around the bottom 5 QBs or so n even that is over paying. 

Honestly, given the circumstances, it would be absurd to handle it differently.

would be just as stupid to anoint Geno without making him earn it, just as it was stupid to annoint Fitz  without him being under contract.

Should at least help us find out how ****ed we are 

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It has nothing to do with spin. Bowles has openly said Fitzpatrick is the starter the second he puts pen to paper. 

Facts are the new spin. Hypotheticals are the new evidence. Melts are the new debate victory. Superman is a bad guy, and vegetables are bad for you.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

would be just as stupid to anoint Geno without making him earn it, just as it was stupid to annoint Fitz  without him being under contract.

Lol as if Fitz was leading us to SB

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just now, New York Mick said:

Who the **** else are they going to start. If Petty was even remotely able they wouldn't of wasted a 2nd round pick on a long shot. 

Idk, maybe they could sign like a FA or something? I mean your man Fitz is still on the out looking in. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Talks between the New York Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick have reportedly stalled. (via Ian Rapoport)

Though I would love to believe this, after what Macc did with Wilk I have to conclude that NFL.com has no idea what is happening with the Jets front office. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Who the **** else are they going to start. If Petty was even remotely able they wouldn't of wasted a 2nd round pick on a long shot. 

Though this is true and you're right, we had people saying to cut Geno and start Petty. 

Thats how ridiculous this offseason has been. 

I do hate that Bowles said what he said about Fitz being the starter but that the time we were fresh off the 10-6 season and now that things have settled down and everything is coming into place heading into training camp and Fitz still isn't signed....it makes you really curious on how Geno will look. He was clearly out playing Fitz last offseason and now he has a year in the system with superstars around him...as a coach even if you sign Fitzpatrick I don't think you can just give up the starting gig without at least seeing what Geno looks like. Things have changed since the end of January, I don't think Fitz is unanimous starter anymore. Geno will and deserves to get a look. Especially heading into his last year.

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I do hate that Bowles said what he said about Fitz being the starter but that the time we were fresh off the 10-6 season and now that things have settled down and everything is coming into place heading into training camp and Fitz still isn't signed....it makes you really curious on how Geno will look. He was clearly out playing Fitz last offseason and now he has a year in the system with superstars around him...as a coach even if you sign Fitzpatrick I don't think you can just give up the starting gig without at least seeing what Geno looks like. Things have changed since the end of January, I don't think Fitz is unanimous starter anymore. Geno will and deserves to get a look. Especially heading into his last year.

People have been living off that one statement all summer long. 

34 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Saying they want Fitz back also isn't a "rousing endorsement" cuz it's been 6 months, there's nothing holding them back n they have still not signed him. Sounds to me Jets don't value Fitz anything more than an $8mil a year QB.

Is there anyone here that thinks Hack will be ready to go next year? He's far more raw than Geno ever was n I believe Geno was ready to start in year 3. 

So, Jets need a QB for at least 2 years before they can have one of their own be ready. Keeping things in context, Jets reportedly wanna pay Fitz $8mil a year. That puts him right around the bottom 5 QBs or so n even that is over paying. 

Dear god where do you come up with this stuff?   Hack played and played very well in a very hard pro system at 18.  Geno has never played that well in college or the pros.   

I get the Geno nuts don't want to hear it but the Jets want Fitz and they want Fitz to start. Then they want Hack to start in 2017.  That's why 12 mil for 2016 and 6 mil for 2017.   Start in 16 and back up in 17. Geno gone after 16.  

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

Dear god where do you come up with this stuff?   Hack played and played very well in a very hard pro system at 18.  Geno has never played that well in college or the pros.   

I get the Geno nuts don't want to hear it but the Jets want Fitz and they want Fitz to start. Then they want Hack to start in 2017.  That's why 12 mil for 2016 and 6 mil for 2017.   Start in 16 and back up in 17. Geno gone after 16.  

Disagree Joe the coaching staff and GM dont seem to mind going with Geno many say he has made great strides on and off the field. Macc isn't going to waste cap money on Fitz the relationship seems to be not a good one Fitz is playing hardball not what a rookie GM likes or wants to deal with. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

People have been living off that one statement all summer long. 

I guess people don't realize things change. Now if Fitzpatrick would of just signed in May, maybe we wouldn't be here right now but he hasn't and now that has given everyone a second to look at Geno and ask themselves if he can produce with an entire different offense than that's junkyard full of practice squad players. David Nelson, Greg Salas??? A rookie Peyton Manning wouldn't of had a satisfactory year with the likes of those guys. Fitz played himself and made everyone turn their heads to Geno...now it's Geno's job to keep those heads turned.

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

The "Geno nuts" may not disagree with you at all on Hack.. He in fact did run the Patriots Offense in college well. But the fact of the matter is Geno is the more polished player and he may even produce better than Fitz. We need those deep threats to be taken advantage of. We need the defense on its heels.. They stacked the box repeatedly because they knew Fitzpatrick couldn't throw deep. We can't box ourselves in as an offense with screens and short- medium routes. We need to be able to do everything and do it effectively...if Geno improves then we have it and we have it for the cheap at that.

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Please remind me when was the last time he played in a pro-system again?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Turn up the volume and enjoy. 

You and I are amongst the biggest Geno deserves a shot party but in all honesty, we can put together a Brooks Bollinger highlight film.

Geno's immaturity under pressure is my main concern.  With weapons...he should perform but under strain, let's see what he does.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles is a fool for saying if he did,shouldn't the head coach be endorsing his QB who is currently signed and will be on the roster. 

The Jets are constantly surrounded by a fiasco year after year, 

You're very frank, joewilly12. I think it would be quite something to know you in private life.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

The "Geno nuts" may not disagree with you at all on Hack.. He in fact did run the Patriots Offense in college well. But the fact of the matter is Geno is the more polished player and he may even produce better than Fitz. We need those deep threats to be taken advantage of. We need the defense on its heels.. They stacked the box repeatedly because they knew Fitzpatrick couldn't throw deep. We can't box ourselves in as an offense with screens and short- medium routes. We need to be able to do everything and do it effectively...if Geno improves then we have it and we have it for the cheap at that.

Well the Jets want Fitz to be the starting QB in 2016.   If Fitz signs Geno won't be a Jet in 2017

You and I are amongst the biggest Geno deserves a shot party but in all honesty, we can put together a Brooks Bollinger highlight film.

Geno's immaturity under pressure is my main concern.  With weapons...he should perform but under strain, let's see what he does.

Geno is the Jets best option moving forward.

Why the hell would the Jets even consider a 34-year old, below average QB who hasn't done crap in 11 years in the NFL?

Archived