Training camp thread 08/03/16

Maxman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

there's no point to cutting him now.  they invested a 4th rounder in him, they may as well see him for a full TC.

exactly.... might as well wait until final cuts. If he does anything in pre-season maybe get a 7th for him?

Hack needs to just sit in the film room and over on a side field with a WR and the QB whisperer.

Just now, #bman said:

Geno is the #2 this year. Get used to it. At least Geno can win a game or two if need be. Petty cant this year.

i know they expected petty would take time, but from early accounts it does not appear he improved from last tc.  hopefully this will change soon.  

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I agree. I think it is a matter of when, not if.

The only way I see them keeping him is if they decide to IR him (let him get a phantom injury in practice) and see if another year does him any good. 

I remember watching a Chad Pennington interview last year, where he explained how QBs from college programs that run these rudimentary systems (like the one run at Baylor) often need 4-5 years before they're ready to play in the pros. They come in literally knowing nothing, and need a ton of time to learn the position. That time frame is an eternity in the NFL, and no team is going to have that kind of patience. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

The only way I see them keeping him is if they decide to IR him (let him get a phantom injury in practice) and see if another year does him any good. 

I remember watching a Chad Pennington interview last year, where he explained how QBs from college programs that run these rudimentary systems (like the one run at Baylor) often need 4-5 years before they're ready to play in the pros. They come in literally knowing nothing, and need a ton of time to learn the position. That time frame is an eternity in the NFL, and no team is going to have that kind of patience. 

it's tough to dedicate a roster spot to a guy who needs that much time to maybe be decent, who doesn't even play special teams.  

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i know they expected petty would take time, but from early accounts it does not appear he improved from last tc.  hopefully this will change soon.  

Widely stated that he is a 2-year project, minimum.

Nothing about where he's at surprises me. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Widely stated that he is a 2-year project, minimum.

Nothing about where he's at surprises me. 

i think even minimal improvement was/is expected by the coaching staff.  the beat writers tweeting are basically saying he looks horrible.  this is the beginning of year 2 - it's not like he's playing during the season at this point - this is the time he's supposed to be showing some improvement.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's tough to dedicate a roster spot to a guy who needs that much time to maybe be decent, who doesn't even play special teams.  

This is why the NFL needs a developmental league. College football used to serve that purpose, but no longer does. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think even minimal improvement was/is expected by the coaching staff.  the beat writers tweeting are basically saying he looks horrible.  this is the beginning of year 2 - it's not like he's playing during the season at this point - this is the time he's supposed to be showing some improvement.

beat writer tweets aren't a reflection of what the coaches are observing

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This is why the NFL needs a developmental league. College football used to serve that purpose, but no longer does. 

The NFL has a good relationship with the CFL and visa versa but it would be good if they extended that to a loaner program of sorts.  Not a true minor leagues, but would get player playing ball in a reasonably stable league that has a lot to offer.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

beat writer tweets aren't a reflection of what the coaches are observing

My son was at camp today tweeting for us, he just finished playing college football. He said Petty didn't look good today. I have to say the beat writers seem to be getting this right, bad start for Petty so far.

Plenty of time to make up for it. And practices are like homework assignments in school. Preseason games are the tests, so he can make up for lost ground with good games. But he doesn't seem to be where anyone hoped he would be.

Archived