At Jets Speed: A New Identity

Mecca

Coming into the 2016 season, whenever the Jets are spoken about on a national stage, Fitzpatrick's name usually is placed somewhere in the same sentence. However, our identity will not be shaped by a heavily bearded Quarterback, but a Linebacking Corps at 'Jets Speed.' I fully expect our defense to fly to the ball and most of that is in due part to Darron Lee. This kid is going to be our Swiss Army knife. When we face off against New England, we have a Dion Lewis stopper as well as someone that can run with Martellus. Shady McCoy and Arian Foster are normally pests out of the backfield on 3rd downs. This is Lee's immediate value. Our defense is going to improve drastically off this alone. We have a weapon that can be sent on a mission purely to stop screens, check downs, and TE/RB's. Mauldin and Jenkins on the edge is an entirely new look compared to Calvin Pace. These kids play with a motor that just doesn't stop. These two off the edge make our Linebacking corps a group of spring chickens. I like to include Pryor with our LB corps with how often he plays in the box. He's our X-Factor, and in my opinion, our 3rd best defensive player. Pryor and Lee's flexibility within our defense gives us options that other teams simply don't have. As fans, we should be excited for our versatility. We have athleticism across our defense that offenses can't match. Pryor and Lee are terrific complementary players that are going to help us win matchups against division rivals. (This is K-Ro 25 from JI BTW, Sorry for lack of spacing, on tapatalk.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't you heard?  Darron Lee is a tiny linebacker.  Who needs to be held close.  On the highway.

People that don't understand football/strategy won't like Lee. He's the ultimate chess piece.

1 minute ago, Mecca said:

People that don't understand football/strategy won't like Lee. He's the ultimate chess piece.

That is a good point and digging deeper on that, most older chess boards don't have that piece. Because his combination really didn't exist. But in the NFL today, he is an important piece, really important.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A tiny pawn trying to take on rooks and bishops.

Can we stop talking about him like he is 'tiny'. He's not. He's the same size as NUMEROUS productive LBs in the NFL. 

He hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet, so even though I am excited to see what he can do, I'm not going to assume he will make an immediate impact. He should, and I think he will, but its not a given. But what I DO know is that he is NOT tiny when compared to lots of great NFL linebackers- SO GET OVER IT! Just becasue you keep repeating it, does not make it true.

D. Lee- 6'1, 235

L'Avonte David- 6'1, 233

Danny Trevathan- 6'1, 231 

Deone Bucannon- 6'1, 211

Kiko Alonso- 6'3, 238

Lawrence Timmons- 6,1, 234

Bobby Wagner- 6'0, 241

Brandon Marshal- 6'2, 238

Mychal Kendricks- 5'11, 239

D'Qwell Jackson- 6'0, 240

Telvin Smith- 6'3, 218

Denzel Perryman- 5'11, 236

Eric Kendricks- 6'0, 232

Ryan Shazier- 6'1, 237

And on and on and on...

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Can we stop talking about him like he is 'tiny'. He's not. He's the same size as NUMEROUS productive LBs in the NFL. 

He hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet, so even though I am excited to see what he can do, I'm not going to assume he will make an immediate impact. He should, and I think he will, but its not a given. But what I DO know is that he is NOT tiny when compared to lots of great NFL linebackers- SO GET OVER IT! Just becasue you keep repeating it, does not make it true.

D. Lee- 6'1, 235

L'Avonte David- 6'1, 233

Danny Trevathan- 6'1, 231 

Deone Bucannon- 6'1, 211

Kiko Alonso- 6'3, 238

Lawrence Timmons- 6,1, 234

Bobby Wagner- 6'0, 241

Brandon Marshal- 6'2, 238

Mychal Kendricks- 5'11, 239

D'Qwell Jackson- 6'0, 240

Telvin Smith- 6'3, 218

Denzel Perryman- 5'11, 236

Eric Kendricks- 6'0, 232

Ryan Shazier- 6'1, 237

And on and on and on...

But, but, he's really 215lbs.  

Forget size, and speed, be careful about your expectations on the young LBers, Lee especially, just because your fast doesn't mean you can play fast from day 1, playing fast requires you to know where to go each, and every play with out having to think, I think Lee, and some of the other kids will have some growing pains early on, and this will lead to them not looking as fast as they really are, and can/will be after getting the experience to not have to think what to do out there.

7 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Lee and Jenkins- both rookies. I'm excited about adding speed and youth to the much needed LB crew. But they are rookies and they will make some kind of impact. How much...stay tuned!!!

Agree with this.

am hopeful for both these guys ... But let's allow them to get on the field first before we start expecting too much from their rookie seasons 

11 hours ago, pointman said:

Patrick Willis is 6'1" and 240. Dude was an animal. Size doesn't matter, if he plays fast and hard.

That's right & Lee is 235 & 21 years old! There's a helluva lot more SPACE in college for Olineman in these spreads to get to the 2nd level vs LBs. in the NFL, the Oline 1st has to battle powerful men over 300Lbs looking to CRUSH the QB. 

Lee will be running around behind, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, Steve McClendon ect. You can't block what you can't find or what flashed right by you before you get out of your stance or because 2 guys are locked up with one of our beastly Dlineman. I'm so sick of this TINY LB bullsh*t. It's like telling Bowles he can't f*cking coach a defense.

Archived