Jets rookie Darron Lee: Potential nickel linebacker hasn't spent a dime

Gas2No99

Jets rookie Darron Lee: Potential nickel linebacker hasn't spent a dime

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- First-round pick Darron Lee received a $5.6 million signing bonus from the New York Jets, so naturally he went out and splurged for something extravagant -- maybe a sports car, a new house or a monster flat-screen TV.

Not exactly.

"I haven't spent a cent," Lee said on Tuesday. "I haven't bought anything. I haven't spent a dime. ... I'm cheap, to an extent."

The Jets are counting on him to be faster to the football than he is to the cash register. We'll get our first real look at Lee on Thursday night, when the team opens the preseason against the Jacksonville Jaguars at MetLife Stadium. The 6-foot-1, 232-pound linebacker isn't listed as a starter -- he's behind Erin Henderson -- but he should see extensive action in his NFL debut.

"I'm very ready," Lee said.

You will see a different kind of linebacker, not the typical downhill thumper. Lee, the fastest linebacker at the scouting combine (4.47 seconds in the 40), is a sideline-to-sideline player with the ability to blitz and drop into coverage. He's not David Harris, an inside run stuffer. He's a versatile player who, in theory, should be able to make plays in space, if used correctly.

"Right now, we're still evaluating to figure out what can he do," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. "Right now, these next four preseason games, we kind of see him athletically. We knew what he could do when we drafted him. We just need to see what his role is going to be for us going forward."

Chances are Lee will wind up playing in sub packages -- i.e. the nickel -- increasing the overall speed on defense. That was one of the Jets' goals at the start of the offseason. Despite his size, he's a natural pass-rusher, as evidenced by his 12 sacks in two seasons at Ohio State.

Lee is accustomed to playing in front of crowds of 100,000, but he admitted he might experience butterflies in his debut.

"There will be a small, little feeling of relief because you know you made it here and it's your dream," he said. "It's great to be here because only a small percentage of guys have this opportunity. But also my nerves will be up, trying to go out there and help contribute to a win. There will be nerves and excitement because it's my first NFL game. I'm very ecstatic just to be in this position."

Weird title for article, considering article only  addresses his spending in the beginning? 

I am absolutely pumped about our young LBers. Can't wait until Thursday to get my first look.

i love Henderson and Harris, but I'm hoping, in the not too distant future, that  it's a Mauldin- Taiwan Jones -Darron Lee -Jordan Jenkins wrecking crew.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Smart. These guys don't all understand that they need to make all their money for life in a few years in the league, and a place in the league is always at risk every time they're on the field.

Yep, the smart ones try to turn the proceeds from that first contract into something with safe growth -- there is no guarantee that the fatter second contract will be coming around. 

10 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Weird title for article, considering article only  addresses his spending in the beginning? 

Well, it could have read "Tinybacker scared to go shopping in case he gets knocked over". ;-) 

Archived