Player Spotlight: Darron Lee

JetNation

My impressions of Lee watching him in college I could see him going in the first round. Personally I'm glad the Jets picked him up. My observations watching preseason is he will have his hands full as a starter. Great speed. That is his #1strength that he brings to the LB squad. That was much needed. However, I witnessed missed tackles and on many plays he over pursued. He also got run over a few times. Being a rookie I expect that. Overall I believe he will have his moments of victory this year as well as moments of defeat. As long as he learns and keeps getting better I'm pleased with the pick. He should do well "for a little guy". ?

He will make some big plays as advertised,my worry has always been what will he be doing when not making some big plays?  Will he be on the sidelines half the time or more, will he be getting taken advantage of in a big way if he is out there in certain situations?

In my mind he's going to have to make a ton of big plays to counter the other things.  I didn't like either of  the jets two 1st picks but I think Lee can contribute lot more than our 2nd rounder long term, still not a massive fan.

Still not a fan of this pick. (Hate the 2nd pick even more) feel like he's over  pursuing to make up for his lack of size and missing a lot of tackles. Also feel like you have to sit him on  obvious power running plays. Hope I'm wrong, guys here seem to like him but as of now I still don't like the pick. For the record I would of went with Lynch and let him sit under Fitz

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

PFF did a "grading all the first round rookies in preseason" article 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-all-31-first-rounders-have-played-this-preseason/

It's very interesting that Lee missed 5 tackles and made 5 tackles. He's playing with speed for sure but also out of control. Rookie stuff. 

Unless I'm missing one, only two LBs were taken in the first  round?!.  If so, then the other, Leonard Floyd, taken at #9, hasn't done much to stand out this preseason.  Missed tackles seems like a very correctable problem.  He's not LT, but you aren't getting LT at #20.  If he solves our TE problem on 3rd downs, he's worth whatever we paid in picks and $ to get him. 

Archived