Gilmore Facemask on Marshall

PLO

I don't know much about Gilmore but it's hard for me to  believe when trying to tackle someone at game speed you can just stop yourself when you inadvertently grab a facemask.  That's why you see a facemask penalty almost every game.  He apparently apologized to Marshall after the game so I think calling him a POS is a bit harsh.  Maybe undisciplined with his technique but I don't think it was intentional.  I doubt a neutral football fan would think this play so egregious.  As a side note I think Simms is pretty fair when he calls Jet games, it's Nance that hates the Jets.

They should eject players from games for intentionally doing something which could really hurt another player instead of trying to throw them out for celebrating a 50 yard reception. That being said this was probably the only way to prevent Marshall from getting a touchdown so i understand why he did it from the Bills perspective the penalty was better than the automatic score.

16 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

What do you mean he didn't purposefully tackle Marshall that way?  Yes, he did.  He may not have intended to cause an injury, but he sure as hell meant to bring him down by his facemask.

I blame the white face-masks, his hand was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

54 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

They should eject players from games for intentionally doing something which could really hurt another player instead of trying to throw them out for celebrating a 50 yard reception. That being said this was probably the only way to prevent Marshall from getting a touchdown so i understand why he did it from the Bills perspective the penalty was better than the automatic score.

This is coaching. Take him down at all cost. A Rex special

20 hours ago, bergenjets said:

Gilmore is a piece of garbage. All they need is Suh up there with Gilmore and Incognito for the NFL scum trifecta.

Yeah, if the NFL is actually worried about player injury, this is worth a 4 game suspension.  And and ass kicking from Marshall.  

On Sunday, Pro Football Talk reported that Marshall has an MCL injury, and it's not yet clear if he will play at the Chiefs. Which really is not particularly surprising news, considering what Bowles has already said. Though you could interpret a coach saying a player is "fine" in a number of different ways, of course. 

In terms of knee injuries, an MCL injury is typically preferable to an ACL injury. 

On 17/09/2016 at 4:14 PM, rex-n-effect said:

I can understand in the moment the refs threw the flag they were supposed to and didn't do more. However seeing the film slowed down it's hard to imagine how that wasn't completely intentional. The NFL should review, fine and suspend. If that behavior is let go then it sends the message that a player's career is only worth fifteen yards. That's the same penalty for taunting and taunting twice can get a player ejected and fined. That makes zero sense.

Or, as was the case here, 4 yards. :angry:

In rugby, they have the concept of a penalty try - where essentially, if all that stops a score is a blatant foul (or a series of minor infringements that are relatively unpunished individually) then the referee can award the score anyway. I think something like this should be considered by the league. Especially in cases like this where player safety is badly compromised.

Kudos to Marshall for coming back in the game, though I'm surprised he wasn't held out by Bowles in case he aggravated it.

Brandon Marshall has MCL injury

ORCHARD PARK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15:  Brandon Marshall #15 of the New York Jets is tackeld by  Stephon Gilmore #24 of the Buffalo Bills resulting in putting Marshall out for the game during the first half at New Era Field on September 15, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York.  (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)Getty Images

After Jets receiver Brandon Marshall fell awkwardly on Thursday night while being tackled by his facemask, he appeared to be anything but fine. On Friday, coach Todd Bowles declared that Marshall is indeed “fine.”

But Marshall may not be entirely fine.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, and as noted during Sunday’s Football Night in America on NBC, Marshall emerged from the incident with an MCL injury. While the team believes Marshall will be ready to go next week, it’s not a lock that he’ll be ready to go when the team faces the Chiefs in Kansas City.

The MCL is a rope-like ligament that becomes frayed when injured. It typically heals in time.

Marshall finished Thursday night’s game after a brief absence. The question becomes whether the team decides to risk further injury by letting him play, or to shut him down for a week so that the ligament can heal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/brandon-marshall-has-mcl-injury/

On 9/17/2016 at 3:23 PM, Xtina said:

It's obvious from the last two games that opponents' game plan was to take out Marshall, the Jets best weapon, by hurting him. I don't recall specifically what it was but the Bengals repeatedly hit him, I think helmet to helmet. Then, they give him the OPI. Now that they might realize that we have more than one weapon hopefully teams revert back to a genuine defensive game plan.

And Goodell made a special rule to eject a player after two personal fouls after Josh Norman harassed poor Odell Beckham all game long (wah wah), certainly something like this deserves a worse penalty. 

its that hot sauce that rex referenced with Reggie Bush a couple years back, obviously was on the menu for Marshall....

On 9/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, PLO said:

For some reason this hasn't been talked about much except in terms of Marshall coming back from the injury like Lazarus from the dead.

This was one of the worst professional fouls I've seen in a long time in the NFL; absolutely the dirtiest play a corner could pull on a reciever, potentially career-ending. For a professional to pull that on a fellow professional would be a nadir for any player in the league. I can only think that getting pawned repeatedly by Marshall and the Jets recievers caused the frustration that led to it, but having said that that's no excuse. If you look at the tape it was obviously no accident - unlike a lot of other facemasks that happen in the league, where players are out of position or whatever. In my book a worse foul than something like the Suh stomp; in other football leagues, something like this happens Gilmore is suspended for most of the season and has a mark against his name for the rest of his career.

Should be fined. Probably suspended for a game but that won't happen. It was a bad foul, it was intentional but Gilmore wasn't a jerk about it. It seemed like he was genuinely sorry about it. When Marshall came back and caught a pass on him and got up in his face, Gilmore just took it and stayed quiet. Seemed like he himself felt like he deserved it. So I dunno, just glad Marshall was not hurt.    

On 9/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, PLO said:

For some reason this hasn't been talked about much except in terms of Marshall coming back from the injury like Lazarus from the dead.

This was one of the worst professional fouls I've seen in a long time in the NFL; absolutely the dirtiest play a corner could pull on a reciever, potentially career-ending. For a professional to pull that on a fellow professional would be a nadir for any player in the league. I can only think that getting pawned repeatedly by Marshall and the Jets recievers caused the frustration that led to it, but having said that that's no excuse. If you look at the tape it was obviously no accident - unlike a lot of other facemasks that happen in the league, where players are out of position or whatever. In my book a worse foul than something like the Suh stomp; in other football leagues, something like this happens Gilmore is suspended for most of the season and has a mark against his name for the rest of his career.

he should be suspended but he will get a fine.

Archived