Continuity

Jetster

Fitz had the 28th worst QB performance in week one.  He was totally off his game.  If we get the bad Fitz then we sputter, if we get the good Fitz then we can challenge any team out there.  Just to be clear, it's not the O, it's not the OC, it's Fitz.  Good Fitz we win, bad Fitz we struggle.  

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Fitz had the 28th worst QB performance in week one.  He was totally off his game.  If we get the bad Fitz then we sputter, if we get the good Fitz then we can challenge any team out there.  Just to be clear, it's not the O, it's not the OC, it's Fitz.  Good Fitz we win, bad Fitz we struggle.  

yet they also lost b/c the kicker blew 4 points and the defense gave up 2 big td passes.  they can win if fitz is not on the top of his game, but the rest of the team can't crap the bed the same day.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Are you saying the offense has carried this team to 11 wins under Bowles/Chan?

I think the problems were pretty equally distributed in the Bengals game.  If the offense could have punched it in from the RZ, they win.  If Folk makes a kick etc.  The easier thing to control in any game is your offense and they had a lot of chances.  Defense is harder to dictate in general and they had what 8 sacks and a pick?  So I maybe could argue but I digress. 

As for you last comment, once again I think you're taking a small point I'm trying to make and extrapolating into something larger that I'm not saying.  Never did I question Chan Gailey or what this offense has done under him.  Right now the offense is better than the D. 

I'm simply saying, 1 game vs. a terrible Football team wouldnt fill me with extreme confidence that we're not closer to how they played vs. the Bengals than how they did vs. the Bills.  There was room for improvement from both the players and the coaches in that Bills game ie: fumbles, 6 point turnover, penalties, drops and some silly play calls (shovel pass, twice).  Thats a lot to overcome most games and they dont play the Bills every week.

I'm saying our offense has been our most consistent unit.  The upside of our defense is certainly higher than the offense, but the consistency hasn't been there.

You keep saying "It was just one game".  I'm saying our offense has performed well for 18 games, with basically the same people over that span.  That's why our offensive performance against Buffalo isn't totally a fluke.  

If anything, we should take more from the Buffalo performance than we should from the Cincy performance. 

5 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Too bad for Rex he couldn't fire our OC before the game, because the O made his vaulted D look stupid. Would love to see Roman join a team and embarrass Rex's defense again this year...

Chan ain't a spring chicken...and he's been 'retired' before.  I'd take a flyer on Roman as a QB coach/ asst OC and plan Chan's succession.

But that's just me.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You really can't look at points to determine how well an offense played when you're looking at potential of the team.  The offense wasn't good in week one.  There's no narrative here.  Fitz was bad - it's just a realistic perspective.

They were very good in week 2 - Fitz was fantastic.  

I'm not sure why having an opinion has to be about an agenda.   I would prefer to temper my expectations understanding that one good game doesn't mean the offense is capable of carrying the defense to the playoffs.

We have plenty of recent Jets memories about what an offense behind a really bad QB performance looks like and week one was not one of those.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was not a fan of the Chan Gailey hire at the time but the guy in my  eyes has been down right brilliant.  The OC of any team gets more grief that any other coach but he has been everything he was advertised imo.  The fact the Jets have scored at least 17 points in every  single game he has coached the jets so far means we have had a chance to win every single game.

I think Gailey has done a great job and I think our front office has also done well getting the right talent in for Gaileys system. I do wonder though if other offensive coordinators would also look brilliant on this team right now, to me it seems like we have so many effective weapons that at times we will move the ball no matter what offensive play is called.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I think Gailey has done a great job and I think our front office has also done well getting the right talent in for Gaileys system. I do wonder though if other offensive coordinators would also look brilliant on this team right now, to me it seems like we have so many effective weapons that at times we will move the ball no matter what offensive play is called.

Depends if another coach would mold the players to the system, or the system to the players ... Bowles & Gailey seem to be handling both with a decent balance. They want more multi-dimensional RBs, so they swapped out Ivory and brought in Forte. At the same time they haven't insisted on playing a "traditional" TE role as we didn't have one, nor could we acquire one; rather than trying to make it work with sub par talent, they've altered things to use the talent they do have elsewhere - our WR and RB corps is picking up the slack on the TE front.

Depends if another coach would mold the players to the system, or the system to the players ... Bowles & Gailey seem to be handling both with a decent balance. They want more multi-dimensional RBs, so they swapped out Ivory and brought in Forte. At the same time they haven't insisted on playing a "traditional" TE role as we didn't have one, nor could we acquire one; rather than trying to make it work with sub par talent, they've altered things to use the talent they do have elsewhere - our WR and RB corps is picking up the slack on the TE front.

Enunwa has been used as our te and has really stepped up. It would be nice if we could just label him as our te, I think it would benefit both sides seeing as tight ends typically get paid less it would benefit the team. The fact that he will be considered an elite te if he keeps playing like he did last week would benefit him as I don't think he will ever fall into the elite wr bracket but who knows.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Jetster said:

You must hate football. Your like the Debbie Downer of Jet fans. Isn't this a forum to discuss what we're witnessing each week? I'm not going to comment on the Jets success so far on a Jet message board cause the seasons not over for me to tell you I told you so.

What?

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying our offense has been our most consistent unit.  The upside of our defense is certainly higher than the offense, but the consistency hasn't been there.

You keep saying "It was just one game".  I'm saying our offense has performed well for 18 games, with basically the same people over that span.  That's why our offensive performance against Buffalo isn't totally a fluke.  

If anything, we should take more from the Buffalo performance than we should from the Cincy performance. 

But they havent.  Both the O and D were top 10 units last year and the defense was ranked higher than the O for 2015.  To start the season last year, the D was turning the ball over at an insanely high rate.  That helps the O.  

"Performed well"  sure...nobody is arguing that, not once.  However, 37 points is not the norm.  Having 3 WR's with 100 yards in not the norm.  Having a RB with 3 TD's is not norm.  Fitz throwing for 400 yards is not the norm.  And you know this.  

This is a new year and we'll see what the offense is closer to..Cinci or Buf.  The unit has been incredibly consistent...by far the most consistent I've ever seen.

19 hours ago, Jetster said:

Amazing what can be accomplished when you have it. How many "systems" has this Jet team been through since 2002? I've always wanted a team that could execute a play so well on offense that even when the opposing team knows what your doing...they can't stop it.

How cool were those drives Thursday night? How much fun was it to see back to back, back shoulder throws, the hardest play to defend in the NFL. How sweet was it to see Forte gliding along the LOS then BOOM, picks an opening & gets 7 yards. 

Then seeing Decker go off..then Marshall...chunks of yards eaten up at a time. Then lo & behold our rookie UDFA makes 2 big catches. This REALLY bodes well going forward. It's a known fact when opposing teams watch film & have to practice for SO MUCH STUFF it confuses them. Your brain will tell you one thing that you think is coming & wham, it's a sprint draw to Enunwa or J.Marshall. Or you REACT to a fake but it's going the other way. Or you don't react & it is coming at you back your back peddling and can't recover.

Fitz really, really showed me something Thursday. I know he's a journeyman but the guy has the MIND to run Gaileys offense. Just 2 games so far but there were a few plays he hurried for no reason & made the wrong decision. He seems like the kind of guy that will learn from it & be looking for that again. The shovel to Bilal, where Decker was WIDE OPEN in the flat 5 yards beyond. What I really love is that when you have that many weapons your NEVER OUT OF A GAME. The opposing team is NEVER comfortable. The Jets now have some "pet" plays that are difficult to defend. They force a defense to HAVE TO play a certain way to stop it. It's called DICTATING. When have we ever been DICTATORS when playing teams in our own division like the Pats? BB use to be able to scare Geno just by guys feigning they were coming. Same with Sanchez, these guys made DCs jobs EASY! Well at least we can say that sh*t is over with Fitz in his 2nd year in this system, with these players. You can tell he has faith in these young guys too, Quincy & Jalen. Marshall & Decker are already in sync & Forte will just get more comfortable.

Imagine being Fitz with these veterans in the huddle telling him what they're seeing. How invaluable is that to young guys like Quincy & Jalen being around these guys. It's a great mix. The one thing that was disappointing was losing Khiry, I thought he could be our muscle. One more great offseason could really solidify this team. This season is gonna be really fun though, even with our warts.

Totally agree. There were a few pass completions where I said, you just don't see that kind of chemistry in the first year of an offense. Fitz is locked on with Decker and Marshall especially with all the back shoulder passes. Enunwa was 6 for 6 so he seems locked on as well.

Exactly.  We're in a position to win nearly every game.  Only once in that 18-game stretch have we lost by double digits, and that was the Raider game when Fitz got hurt.  That's the only time we haven't had a shot in the Macc/Bowles/Chan/Fitz era thus far. 

We've also had 5 games where we WON by double digits, and almost added to that list last Thursday if Buffalo hadn't scored late.

Again, it's not necessarily something to admire, but it is noteworthy. 

Blowout games in the NFL do not matter (whether you win or lose). Those games will happen every now and then.

The key to winning in the NFL is how teams perform in close games (less than 6 points).

Good teams will win those type of games the majority of the time. Mediocre and bad teams always come up short in close games.

34 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Blowout games in the NFL do not matter (whether you win or lose). Those games will happen every now and then.

The key to winning in the NFL is how teams perform in close games (less than 6 points).

Good teams will win those type of games the majority of the time. Mediocre and bad teams always come up short in close games.

And the key to the rest (1) of those teams is to cheat. 

Archived