Seferian-Jenkins a Mere Spectator in Jets Offense

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

As frequently as we saw Jets quarterback Bryce Petty checking down to his safety valves throughout the course the Jets’ comatose 9-6 loss on Sunday, one would think that Gang Green would look to give him additional options such as a big-bodied tight end along the lines of 6′ 6” tight end Austin Seferian-Jenknins.

However, late in the game, with the Jets offense sputtering, there was Jenkins, standing along the Jets sideline, coming up and down out of multiple stretch positions in trying to stay loose.  It was evident by that point in the game that he wasn’t going to be able to do so by getting on the field to run a few routes.

The inexperienced Bryce Petty is going to need all the help he can get out of his receivers and tight ends.

The inexperienced Bryce Petty is going to need all the help he can get out of his receivers and tight ends.

Seferian-Jenkins’ situation is a curious one.  Signed by the Jets in late September, he has been banged up for much of his time with the team, but believe it or not, he was active on Sunday.  While some may argue that the majority of the Jets roster took the day off, Seferian-Jenkins could have stayed home and would not have contributed any less to the Jets offense.

Since getting to Florham Park over a month ago, the former second-round pick out of Washington has played a total of 39 offensive snaps and has been targeted just 3 times, picking up 2 receptions for 17 yards.  Hardly what fans had in mind when he was claimed off waivers from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Of course it’s entirely possible that the Jets opted to sit Seferian-Jenkins as they went with max-protection schemes to keep Petty upright, which would explain why TE Eric Tomlinson, a newly singed blocking tight end, saw 10 snaps to Seferian-Jenkins’ zero, but failing to put together a single package that would give Petty a 6′ 6” target to work with was a disservice to the QB.

If head coach Todd Bowles decides to stick with Petty at quarterback in the coming weeks, the Jets may as well give all of their young offensive players an audition, including Seferian-Jenkins.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
QgZZwPsBfMk

Click here to read the full story...

He joined the team in season. So there is a transition period as far as learning the offense goes. It's hard to get great impact from guys you add in season as oppose to the off season where they have time to learn the playbook, develop chemistry with the QB and have the CS figure out the best ways to get you involved. And on top of that he was dealing with an injury,

And let's face it, Sefarian-Jenkins has had a rough last year, he's probably not the quickest learner...

If he has anything good to offer this team it will probably be felt next year.

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He joined the team in season. So there is a transition period as far as learning the offense goes. It's hard to get great impact from guys you add in season as oppose to the off season where they have time to learn the playbook, develop chemistry with the QB and have the CS figure out the best ways to get you involved. And on top of that he was dealing with an injury,

And let's face it, Sefarian-Jenkins has had a rough last year, he's probably not the quickest learner...

I wouldn't expect it to take an NFL TE a year to be able to get involved in a few pass plays.  Especially on a team where there aren't any other proven options.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I wouldn't expect it to take an NFL TE a year to be able to get involved in a few pass plays.  Especially on a team where there aren't any other proven options.

But he's an NFL TE with legal issues im sure he's dealing with and an injury. He hasn't been healthy, he's still relatively new to the NFL as well. He's not a 5 or 6 year veteran. This might just be a wasted year for him.

ASJ is an immature punk.  He is extremely likely to waste his considerable athletic gifts and flunk out of the NFL soon.

My guess?  He is probably nowhere near close to understanding the offense.  He was in Tampa for 2 and 1/2 years and still ran the wrong routes.

But the "STB" guys around here couldn't wait to add him.  

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But he's an NFL TE with legal issues im sure he's dealing with and an injury. He hasn't been healthy, he's still relatively new to the NFL as well. He's not a 5 or 6 year veteran. This might just be a wasted year for him.

He's got more experience than any other TE and several WR's on the roster.  He had a minor injury that he's since been cleared from.  It makes no sense to make zero effort to use him at all.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

He's got more experience than any other TE and several WR's on the roster.  He had a minor injury that he's since been cleared from.  It makes no sense to make zero effort to use him at all.

Read my post above.  Better than most explanations.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Could be they aren't giving him playing time just because he was someone's 2nd round pick. Maybe they want him to put the work in and earn it. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Could be they aren't giving him playing time just because he was someone's 2nd round pick. Maybe they want him to put the work in and earn it. 

But they played him earlier in the season when he had put in less work and had fewer reps with the offense.  He played 19 snaps last week in Miami.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But they played him earlier in the season when he had put in less work and had fewer reps with the offense.  He played 19 snaps last week in Miami.

Maybe he put in the work (classroom) that week. Maybe although he played he missed assignments. Who knows. But I do understand the confusion over his lack of p/t. 

4 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

He's a TE. The Gailey offense uses TE's to block. Gailey is a TightEndless coach since he's been there. Does not utilize the position in a way every other OC does.

But he did when he was in Buffalo.  I think he refuses to use TEs he has no faith in.

7 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yet a guy who joined the team just this week (Eric Tomlinson) was able to suit up and play in 10 snaps?? OK, he's more of a blocker than a pass-catcher, but I'm not buying the whole "transition period" story.

In my mind he'll be cut in the off season - if he lasts that long.

50 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But he did when he was in Buffalo.  I think he refuses to use TEs he has no faith in.

Then I don't get why they picked up Jenkins. The TE position opens up alot of options to an offense and keeps LBs and secondaries honest.

33 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Then I don't get why they picked up Jenkins. The TE position opens up alot of options to an offense and keeps LBs and secondaries honest.

I think he just views Enunwa as the same type of weapon when he lines him up at H-back.  Getting guys open is what matters at the end of the day and Chan does that regularly.  He's just been saddled with the worst QB's in the NFL for much of his career.  Hopefully Petty and/or Hack turn out to be much better than Fitz/Geno.

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

Yet a guy who joined the team just this week (Eric Tomlinson) was able to suit up and play in 10 snaps?? OK, he's more of a blocker than a pass-catcher, but I'm not buying the whole "transition period" story.

In my mind he'll be cut in the off season - if he lasts that long.

He might be. I think ASF is probably a good talent whose clearly got some issues. He might not be picking things up quickly but the front office likes his potential, idk....really just guessing.

ASF suited up and played briefly when we signed him and then got hurt. Now he can't see the field. I think they really want their tight ends to be able to block and ASF struggles in that area.

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

The hardest position (I would think) to quickly integrate into a team would be QB.  Yet Sam Bradford did just fine in Minnesota.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The hardest position (I would think) to quickly integrate into a team would be QB.  Yet Sam Bradford did just fine in Minnesota.

Exactly.  Any talented NFL player should be able to do enough work in practice over the course of a month to find a way to contribute.  The fact that he's not been on the field or used as an option when he is on the field is strange.

On 11/15/2016 at 8:17 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Transition smansishin F these guys 

Archived