Andrew Whitworth

drdetroit

1 hour ago, nicg4360 said:

Problem with skipping on an oline prospect or not reaching for 1 in the first is we wait till round 2 where it becomes even weaker.  How on earth can we come out of this draft with no good oline men.  That I would consider a huge failure.  

Yeah I have been thinking this myself lately as well...if the jets just take cam Robinson at a "perceived" loss based on "draft experts" who are almost always wrong...why not just take Cam and overdraft ....not sure it even worth the risk to trade down to get him either.   If the took Cam and then Pocic they could potentially solve the OL issue in 1 draft

Robinson, Carpenter, Pocic, Qvale, Shell

backups Wesley, and whoever else

let clady,mangold,winters,Ben all walking papers

this would all be very risky move though but if successful the jets could have a really good OL dirt cheap.  Stick to the path of Petty and Hack development and the QB position is also dirt cheap.

keep all the current WR to help bring along QB

Bring in expensive OLB and CB via FA and dump Mevis keep Harris for 1last year.

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Because the bengals aren't resigning him they have 14 other UFA.  Jets can get about $40 mil in cap room after cutting a bunch of scrubs 

What team close to a Super Bowl needs a LT that has the cap room?  Answer is none

The Colts without roll over or any cuts have 59 million plus in cap space.  ( look at the cap space I provided in previous post)  They could use a Whitmore at Lt, to keep their franchise Qb upright.     

Which team the Colts,  or the Jets would you say closer to the Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

I spent much of the last game watching Shell. He looks like he has really worked on his footwork, and actually appeared much quicker. Also, he is very strong. Didn't see Suh throw him around like a rag doll like he did Winters and Johnson. Do you have his PFF grade from last week?

I do t have the grade but I read an article they had high praise for Shell

His grandfather is Art Shell so he has good bloodlines

15 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Colts without roll over or any cuts have 59 million plus in cap space.  ( look at the cap space I provided in previous post)  They could use a Whitmore at Lt, to keep their franchise Qb upright.     

Which team the Colts,  or the Jets would you say closer to the Super Bowl.

Neither

The Colts are bringing back Pagano and Grigson those guys make Bowles look smart

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Yeah I have been thinking this myself lately as well...if the jets just take cam Robinson at a "perceived" loss based on "draft experts" who are almost always wrong...why not just take Cam and overdraft ....not sure it even worth the risk to trade down to get him either.   If the took Cam and then Pocic they could potentially solve the OL issue in 1 draft

Robinson, Carpenter, Pocic, Qvale, Shell

backups Wesley, and whoever else

let clady,mangold,winters,Ben all walking papers

this would all be very risky move though but if successful the jets could have a really good OL dirt cheap.  Stick to the path of Petty and Hack development and the QB position is also dirt cheap.

keep all the current WR to help bring along QB

Bring in expensive OLB and CB via FA and dump Mevis keep Harris for 1last year.

Because if we pass on a pass rusher like Tim Williams or QB like Deshone Kizer and they turn out to be good we just set ourselves back another 5 years

14 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Because if we pass on a pass rusher like Tim Williams or QB like Deshone Kizer and they turn out to be good we just set ourselves back another 5 years

And if they don't "turn out good"

besides if I was going a defense route I would not be taking a 1 down player I would take tabor or Peppers

and I sure as hell would not take on another QB dev until I establish what I already have in both Petty and Hack and please spare me the Petty will only ever be a backup BS.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

And if they don't "turn out good"

besides if I was going a defense route I would not be taking a 1 down player I would take tabor or Peppers

and I sure as hell would not take on another QB dev until I establish what I already have in both Petty and Hack and please spare me the Petty will only ever be a backup BS.

You can say that about anyone

This franchise hasn't had a qb since Namath and no pass rusher since Abe.  What a wild idea to try to get one in the draft

Petty is not the answer and neither is hoping Wilkerson decides to maybe play football again 

18 hours ago, varjet said:

They will be big spenders on the line, if they can.

They Jets were terrible this year primarily because they could not rush the passer or cover anyone.  I don't see how FA OL is gong to change that.

The draft is deep in pass rushers and defensive backs. There aren't any top 10 worthy OL available.

Spend on the OL in free agency and fill our defensive needs in the draft!

20 hours ago, varjet said:

This could be a team with 10 OL and 4 QB.  That is ok as they rebuild.

Whitworth could fit on this team.  Worth the money.  So could Mangold and Clady, at a price.

Just the Jets' luck, drafting top 5 there appears to be no obvious top 5 OT.  Those don't always work out, but work out better than QBs.  

We have been looking for a 1st round OL for the last 5 years.  I don't think this is the year we get one, unless we beat the Pats and Bills and end up with a pick where it makes sense to pick Robinson or the guy from Wisconsin (i bet the guy from Wisconsin ends up good, from prior experience).

Stepping back from it, there are others on this team that could make the line work (Shell, Qvale, Winters, Johnson, Dozier, Iajalana)..  The gaping hole is LT.  Pay Whitworth the money, because the odds of drafting a Brick to fill that job on day 1 is appearing to be very low.

Worth is all relative. Doesn't matter where we pick at 5 or 8 or 10.  We desperately need a CB and OL with those first 2 picks regardless if either a 'reach'.  Our secondary and OL are a shambles, just pathetic.   

25 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Worth is all relative. Doesn't matter where we pick at 5 or 8 or 10.  We desperately need a CB and OL with those first 2 picks regardless if either a 'reach'.  Our secondary and OL are a shambles, just pathetic.   

CB is a very deep position in this draft and there aren't many can't miss OL prospects .

I would sign a FA at both positions and draft either Fournette or an edge rusher in round 1.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

CB is a very deep position in this draft and there aren't many can't miss OL prospects .

I would sign a FA at both positions and draft either Fournette or an edge rusher in round 1.

Fournette is a beast but you cant run unless you have an OL and RB is also extremely deep in this draft.  OL OL OL CB CB CB. Just think cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger

http://www.greekgateway.com/news/the-most-classic-saturday-night-live-greek-diner-scene-with-john-belushi-dan-akroyd-and-bill-murray

6 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Fournette is a beast but you cant run unless you have an OL and RB is also extremely deep in this draft.  OL OL OL CB CB CB. Just think cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger

http://www.greekgateway.com/news/the-most-classic-saturday-night-live-greek-diner-scene-with-john-belushi-dan-akroyd-and-bill-murray

Its very rare a non stud (1st round OL) can come in and play right away. The Jets need immediate help on the Oline , they can't afford to hope drafted OL prospects can start right away.  I have no problem with them drafting a few in 3rd-6th rounds but holes need to get plugged with FA imports while the youngsters develop.

Bilal Powell is running pretty well behind our current line , I see no problem with Fournette doing the same.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its very rare a non stud (1st round OL) can come in and play right away. The Jets need immediate help on the Oline , they can't afford to hope drafted OL prospects can start right away.  I have no problem with them drafting a few in 3rd-6th rounds but holes need to get plugged with FA imports while the youngsters develop.

Bilal Powell is running pretty well behind our current line , I see no problem with Fournette doing the same.

You dreaming. Top OL picks almost always step in and play right away. And what 'youngsters' are you referring to that can be developed?  Our depth on the OL is a sunk cost. Clady is history and not even worth it even if he takes a paycut.  Time to part ways with Mangold. Giacomo is history. Winters will probably jump ship.  We will need 2 tackles and a guard. The 'youngsters' you speak of, Dozier, Shell,  Igulana etc. are depth pieces, nothing more. Powell and Forte are the rb's. No need for a top pick to be spent on one now.    

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

You dreaming. Top OL picks almost always step in and play right away. And what 'youngsters' are you referring to that can be developed?  Our depth on the OL is a sunk cost. Clady is history and not even worth it even if he takes a paycut.  Time to part ways with Mangold. Giacomo is history. Winters will probably jump ship.  We will need 2 tackles and a guard. The 'youngsters' you speak of, Dozier, Shell,  Igulana etc. are depth pieces, nothing more. Powell and Forte are the rb's. No need for a top pick to be spent on one now.    

Depth pieces are always depth pieces until they play. There are very few quality tackles in this years draft . We draft one of them our fan base will be screaming bust because they're not patient enough to see them develop. I agree cut Clady/Giacomini/Mangold but pick up a Whitworth for LT and make an offer to Ron Leary or someone like a Jermon Bushrod or Jahari Evans to stabilize the Guard spot. then have Dozier/Shell/Winters/Ijalana/Wesley Johnson/Carpenter round out the rest of the line.  Its important to get younger on the line , but IMO its foolish to think we're finding a stud OL in this years 1st round.

22 hours ago, varjet said:

This could be a team with 10 OL and 4 QB.  That is ok as they rebuild.

Whitworth could fit on this team.  Worth the money.  So could Mangold and Clady, at a price.

Just the Jets' luck, drafting top 5 there appears to be no obvious top 5 OT.  Those don't always work out, but work out better than QBs.  

We have been looking for a 1st round OL for the last 5 years.  I don't think this is the year we get one, unless we beat the Pats and Bills and end up with a pick where it makes sense to pick Robinson or the guy from Wisconsin (i bet the guy from Wisconsin ends up good, from prior experience).

Stepping back from it, there are others on this team that could make the line work (Shell, Qvale, Winters, Johnson, Dozier, Iajalana)..  The gaping hole is LT.  Pay Whitworth the money, because the odds of drafting a Brick to fill that job on day 1 is appearing to be very low.

I don;t want to sign anybody who has a good chance at this stage in his career to miss 5 or 6 games---if not more

7 hours ago, Powpow said:

Shell is going to be our Starting RT for a long time.

Carpenter is set at Left Guard.

Even if we lose Winters, which we could still resign him, Ijalana, Qvale or Dozier can be compete for the RG job.

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Even if we lose Winters, which we could still resign him, Ijalana, Qvale or Dozier can be compete for the RG job.

Hopefully.

Shell looks like he might be our answer at RT, Johnson looks like the answer at center. Winters needs to be brought back. That leaves LT and Whitworth would be the perfect holdover while we look for our next franchise LT.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Hopefully.

Shell looks like he might be our answer at RT, Johnson looks like the answer at center. Winters needs to be brought back. That leaves LT and Whitworth would be the perfect holdover while we look for our next franchise LT.

I love the posts in this thread from ignoramuses acting like I'm saying we should give Whitworth a 6 year deal.  Really we would only have to give him a one or two year contract

Correction Whitworth will be 35 next year.    Very risky to sign a player at that age as his skills can decline very fast( see Revis) or he can physically start to breakdown.( See Mangold). 
I think the Jets have to look for a much younger solution .  

Not about "correcting" a post that says a player is 34 by saying that player will be 35 next year?

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Poor Petty he'll get ripped to pieces.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Lol OK, Wesley Johnson is better than Wilkerson. Steaming Hot take received, 

They do grades on Olineman after every game & Wesley has graded out VERY WELL. Miami wasn't killing Petty with pressure up the middle, that's why they put him on the edge & they killed Petty when Johnson effed up that snap. 

Even the replays of Suh getting through once showed it wasn't Johnson who missed his block. I think Wesley Johnson is our future center. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

They do grades on Olineman after every game & Wesley has graded out VERY WELL. Miami wasn't killing Petty with pressure up the middle, that's why they put him on the edge & they killed Petty when Johnson effed up that snap. 

Even the replays of Suh getting through once showed it wasn't Johnson who missed his block. I think Wesley Johnson is our future center. 

That would be convenient. I like his background a lot - good modern center size, went to Vandy a school I really like, drafted by the Steelers. :shrugs:

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

The sack Petty took with Suh and Wake pancaking him was Miami using the same blitz twice in a row and Petty not recognizing it before the snap.

On 12/21/2016 at 7:41 PM, FidelioJet said:

Which is exactly why you trade back - even if you don't get "fair" value.  Unfortunately mismanagement has put us in this position that we desperately need youth...

Trade down and take OL, OL and OL...This is an offensive league and we have to start with protecting the QB

And without a top DL or OL or QB why would anyone want to trade up?  

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The sack Petty took with Suh and Wake pancaking him was Miami using the same blitz twice in a row and Petty not recognizing it before the snap.

No, it was a missed snap count.  They rushed forward when the ball was snapped, before the OL did. 

Archived