QB option

Patriot Killa

Just now, Warfish said:

And you've now wasted multiple posts when "nope, too much" was the easy response.

Asking the sites #1 Glennon Fanboi if he really meant it when he stated his maximum, when he gave a number far smaller than his previously mentioned "NFL Record Contract" comment, is hardly unwarranted Villian.  So you were either wrong when you said he'd get an NFL Record Contract, or you're hedging on what your maximum supported contract is now, because your support for signing him is absolutely clear.

It's a forum, we have discussions.  That generally works better when you're actually willing to enagage and do so honestly, not this odd deflect thing you do so regularly.  

Tldr

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/26/2016 at 0:11 PM, Villain The Foe said:

I'd sign Kirk way before even thinking about Bortles, though I'd sign Glennon over both. 

On 12/26/2016 at 3:24 PM, Anthony Jet said:

You'd take glennon over a semi proven commodity like cousins? Really?

Kirks game this past Sunday against the Giants is yet another example of why I mentioned the the statement below in my initial response. 

On 12/26/2016 at 4:49 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Cousins can't beat good teams. With the group he has on both sides of the ball there's simply no excuse for it. Look at last season. It was the same thing for the most part.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't sign him whatsoever, but if I had a choice in the matter id rather have Glennon for less money given that Kirk us "semi-proven".

There's a very good reason why you said that yourself

This is the highlights from the game in case you missed it. The Giants didnt even need this game. The Redskins season was on the line and Cousins and the offense couldnt put 3 points on the board until around 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Kirk Cousins does not beat good teams and isnt a clutch player. He's a good player, sure, but I've read from Jets fans about Kirks "stats" yet many Jets fans will also call a guy like Phillip Rivers a "Stats padder". Well, atleast Phillip Rivers has the excuse of having nothing around him for years. You put Rivers on the Redskins and they probably win that game. Kirk Cousins is the the definition of a QB that pads stats but cannot play well during key moments. Sunday was the perfect example. And that is why I'd rather sign Mike Glennon at the money he'd be requesting over Kirk Cousins and the enormous amount of money he'll be requesting if released. 

And please keep in mind, the Redskins got the ball back twice in the 4th and were in position to actually win the game. Cousins instead couldnt and ultimately threw an INT. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BiLV4JfUWw

I'll save the money, sign Mike Glennon and put that extra cash not spent on providing our QB with some offensive/defensive talent. 

Kirk Cousins seems like he would costs franchise QB money but I don't think he's a true franchise QB.  Obviously he'd be a MAJOR upgrade though.  Is he a Superbowl winning QB though?  I guess if we have the chance to acquire him we have to do it.

40 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Glennon vs. Kirk Cousins is not even close. Kirk is like a Matt Ryan.... He's at the bottom of the top 10 but can occasionally really light it up and look like the best quarterback in football.

This isn't a Kirk vs Glennon. This is sign Kirk at his price vs sign Glennon at his price. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a better return for your money going the latter.

Matt Ryan is arguably the MVP of the league, Kirk isn't even top 10...c'mon.

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This isn't a Kirk vs Glennon. This is sign Kirk at his price vs sign Glennon at his price. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a better return for your money going the latter.

I do think Kirk is top 10 and is the kind of quarterback that can have an MVP season.

I have zero arguments against signing Glennon but if I had to choose between the two, prices included, I would choose Cousins. If Ryan Tannehill can get 19 mil and be totally average then Kirk Cousins can get 20 mil from the Jets any time.

On 12/26/2016 at 10:26 AM, Jetster said:

You go hard after Cousins & Fire Bowles & replace him with Kyle Shanahan, the coach that brought him along. Dream scenario. It's gonna be a very contentious contract negotiation with Kirks agent, he's a big boy QB now.

Jets have the offensive pieces, Anderson can be their Jackson, Enunwa their Garçon, Decker is better than the rest, we definitely don't have a TE like Jordan Reed, but I'm sure Cousins would find ASJ more than our present horrible QBs.

all for going hard after a qb like cousins.  not so good with shanahan.

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

has matty ice won a playoff game yet?

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I do think Kirk is top 10 and is the kind of quarterback that can have an MVP season.

I have zero arguments against signing Glennon but if I had to choose between the two, prices included, I would choose Cousins. If Ryan Tannehill can get 19 mil and be totally average then Kirk Cousins can get 20 mil from the Jets any time.

i'd go with cousins at 20 m.  glennon is way more unknown and it would take way more than a million or two in salary difference to take a chance.

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Signing Tannehill to that was ridiculous, and cousins is indeed better so I do agree. However, why is Cousins on the hotseat as a top 10 qb? 

Don't get me wrong, I'd sign cousins but for different reasons that are rather simple. He's better than everything we have. The difference is that I get the feeling that jets fans are simply looking at stats. I look at games like this Sunday. That's been this dudes history as a starter. 

That concerns me. I don't care if he threw for 6,000 yards. What good is it if he shows no killer instinct in a week 17 game with your teams season on the line? You pay a guy 20 mill or more, he better be a clutch player. When has cousins ever been clutch? Miami making a bad decision doesn't mean we should.

Matty Ice Playoffs Passing

Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
2008 23 ATL QB 1 1 0-1 26 40 65.0 199 2 5.0 2 5.0 28 5.0 3.7 7.7 199.0 72.8 3 9 4.42 3.26 7.0    
2010* 25 ATL QB 1 1 0-1 20 29 69.0 186 1 3.4 2 6.9 22 6.4 4.0 9.3 186.0 69.0 5 37 4.38 2.32 14.7    
2011 26 ATL QB 1 1 0-1 24 41 58.5 199 0 0.0 0 0.0 21 4.9 4.9 8.3 199.0 71.1 2 16 4.26 4.26 4.7    
2012* 27 ATL QB 2 2 1-1 54 77 70.1 646 6 7.8 3 3.9 47 8.4 8.2 12.0 323.0 105.2 1 0 8.28 8.09 1.3 1 1
Career     5 5 1-4 124 187 66.3 1230 9 4.8 7 3.7 47 6.6 5.9 9.9 246.0 85.2 11 62 5.90 5.22 5.6 1 1

Comes down to signing Glennon and...yeah, I have  no idea what else they can freakin' do. And kinda wonder what sensible FA QB is signing up for this impending disaster.This franchise is now the Typhoid Mary of the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Comes down to signing Glennon and...yeah, I have  no idea what else they can freakin' do. And kinda wonder what sensible FA QB is signing up for this impending disaster.This franchise is now the Typhoid Mary of the NFL.  

Lets not treat Glennon like another bearded QB who set this organization back we have options. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Lets not treat Glennon like another bearded QB who set this organization back we have options. 

Simply think the options are few. And even then this franchise has been marked like the "bathroom book" in Seinfeld. We are a joke. 

Gonna be hard to sign either of these two QBs (Glennon or Cousins) with the cap situation the Jets are in.  They are going to have to cut a lot of veteran starters to bring in a QB that may or may not be a franchise QB.  Would be worth it if the QB they sign is a franchise QB but that is a huge gamble considering all the other holes that would open up with the cuts they would have to make.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/01/02/kirk-cousins-remains-coy-about-his-feelings-toward-the-redskins/?client=safari

One day after throwing a pair of interceptions in a season-ending loss to the Giants, Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins answered more questions about his future in Washington. What Cousins didn’t say during a lengthy interview with Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier on 106.7 The Fan was perhaps as telling as what he did say after completing his first season while playing under the franchise tag.

“I think we’re going to find out,” Cousins said when asked how wanted he feels by the Redskins’ front office. “Those conversations haven’t happened since July 15, or even before that. So, I guess time will tell. It’s still going to play itself out, but as I said last night, you know, it really isn’t my choice. Much like when I was drafted here, the franchise tag pretty much plays out the same way. You’re coming back, or nothing. When I was drafted, it’s you’re drafted here or nothing. So you go, and you do it, and the tag is no different. It’s really not my call, or my choice to make. If they don’t tag me, then we’ll cross that bridge when we get there, but the nature of the tag is that the ball is in their court, and it’s really not my call.”

The Redskins have three options with Cousins this offseason. They could let him become a free agent, use the franchise tag on him for a second year at a cost of nearly $24.5 million or sign him to a long-term contract. The final option requires Cousins wanting to remain with the franchise that drafted him in 2012, but that wasn’t convinced enough after his breakout season in 2015 to offer him a long-term deal at market value last summer. Cousins has repeatedly said he wants to play where he’s wanted, but it’s unclear whether he wants to be here.

“I need to let some time pass right now and just get some objectivity and have a chance to think things through,” Cousins said when asked how he feels about staying in D.C. “I’ve been so focused on the season and just trying to get ready for the next opponent and the next opponent and do all I can to be ready that I don’t know that my head is clear right now. I’ll let some time pass, ultimately my agent will have those discussions and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. But certainly it’s kind of their move first when it comes to the tag.”

Cousins, who at no point during Monday’s interview expressed a desire to remain with Washington, added that he genuinely doesn’t have a sense of how things will play out over the next several weeks, and more likely months. A decision on whether to franchise tag on Cousins for a second year must be made by March 1.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cousins said. “I really don’t. I will just take it as it comes, have an open mind and try not to be surprised by anything. In this league, you never know. I’ll just be open to however it plays out. Ultimately, the offers kind of send a message, and you basically can connect the dots based off of those.”

Cousins, who spoke last summer about being comfortable playing under the franchise tag and wanting to earn a long-term deal, said he’d take the same approach if he were tagged a second time. That option would almost guarantee that Cousins is playing somewhere else in 2018.

“I don’t have the option to play anywhere else, so there’s no point in dragging it out … or pouting about it,” Cousins said. “It’s a great opportunity. They’re bringing you back for a reason and it sends a strong message. I have no reason to fight that and essentially I have not voice in the matter anyways, so I can’t really fight it. … I always say, you control what you can control. I can’t control whether or not I get tagged, so I’m not going to worry about it or spend time feeling anxious about it. Ultimately, I’ve just got to keep playing football and try to do it the best I can and try to continue to be a high-level quarterback, and if I do that, trust that in the long run things will work out.”

Paulsen ended the interview by asking Cousins to explain why it’s unrealistic for fans to expect him to accept a hometown discount to remain with the Redskins, or anything less than what his agent determines he’s worth this offseason. Cousins offered a candid response.

“I’ve got to preface this by saying I’m not trying to suck out every dollar possible,” Cousins said. “That’s just not the kind of guy I am or the way I’m going to approach it. I understand, like Scot McCloughan understands, like Jay Gruden understands, it’s all about winning football games. To have a platform to make a difference ultimately, which is what I want to do with my life, we’ve got to win football games. When you’re highly paid and your losing, no one really cares what you have to say. First of all, I think a lot of it goes down to the percentage of the salary cap. If the salary cap was much, much higher, then quarterbacks could make much, much more and it wouldn’t hurt the team. So the cap is really determining everything, so it’s not so much a dollar amount as it is a percentage of the cap. How much of the apple are you really taking, regardless of the dollar amount that it is? That percentage is what my agent has always, and will always, focus on and negotiate off of. That’s what he’s explained to me.

“Secondly, there are other quarterbacks that come after you, and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in position to have a contract. If you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them, and you’re setting them back as well. So, there’s different reasons and you do the best you can. Frankly, once you sign the contract, there’s no law saying you can’t renegotiate. If you sign the deal and you end up coming away from two seasons saying, ‘Hey, not only did we not win, but I think the reason is that I’m taking too much,’ then you can always talk about changing that. But I don’t see a need to do that on the front end. If you can win football games and play well and play at a high level still making a fair number, then why do you need to predetermine that and go down? I think for all those reasons you want to find your value and then be able to play off

Archived