Jet fans & the QB position

Jetster

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Exactly why Gailey and Padoodle, or whatever the hell his name is, were shown the door. They obviously didn't have the ability or interest to work with the two young guys. Hackenberg will be the QB next year, maybe not week one, but probably no later than mid season. 

Or, they were honest with their assessment and told Macc what we already know, Petty and Hack are not starting QBs yet and probably won't be for a while..

Petty came in here last year and couldn't identify the Mike LBer in preseason defenses.  Great arm and athletics But just a ton of learning ahead of him.  Injuries in this past preseason ruined any chance he had this year.

And we saw where Hack was at during the preseason game against guys that Philly was cutting the next day.

You wanna know a culture of losing starts with firing guys who offer different opinions to their bosses.

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Or, they were honest with their assessment and told Macc what we already know, Petty and Hack are not starting QBs yet and probably won't be for a while..

Petty came in here last year and couldn't identify the Mike LBer in preseason defenses.  Great arm and athletics But just a ton of learning ahead of him.  Injuries in this past preseason ruined any chance he had this year.

And we saw where Hack was at during the preseason game against guys that Philly was cutting the next day.

You wanna know a culture of losing starts with firing guys who offer different opinions to their bosses.

Yes it does. But a culture of winning also starts by firing people who are incompetent at their jobs.

The Jets have tried drafting project after project with no sign of success.  The only way to solve our issue is to get the #1 pick and get our Mathew Stafford, Winston, Luck, etc.

The answer is not taking someone like Watson or Kizer because they are projects and will have to play much sooner then they are ready.

Trubisky may be the answer but with very limited experience he too would be a long shot.  And with so many teams in front of us in dire need of a QB, we'd have to give up assets that we just cannot afford to risk.

If I'm Woody, I make them play the hand that they have.  Long term, 1 season at 1-15 or 0-16 will be worth it to have a superstar at the position.  Darby would be that guy.

Continueing the I want results now and this year is more important than the next 5 is how we keep drowning.  

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The Jets have tried drafting project after project with no sign of success.  The only way to solve our issue is to get the #1 pick and get our Mathew Stafford, Winston, Luck, etc.

The answer is not taking someone like Watson or Kizer because they are projects and will have to play much sooner then they are ready.

Trubisky may be the answer but with very limited experience he too would be a long shot.  And with so many teams in front of us in dire need of a QB, we'd have to give up assets that we just cannot afford to risk.

If I'm Woody, I make them play the hand that they have.  Long term, 1 season at 1-15 or 0-16 will be worth it to have a superstar at the position.  Darby would be that guy.

Continueing the I want results now and this year is more important than the next 5 is how we keep drowning.  

Next year is the draft to draft a QB. Falk, Darnold, Browning etc.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes it does. But a culture of winning also starts by firing people who are incompetent at their jobs.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve it but who the hell is gonna come here being handed the sh*t we have to work with.

And Petty, I would be a little optimistic if he wasn't going to miss time rehabbing from surgery.

Its a perfect storm, no QB and gaping holes all over our O line.

we need to go all in or stay all out on the position.  No more half assing it.  Because Macc doesn't know how to draft or develop a QB.  Texans have never done it and he is 0 - 2 so far here.

That means go get Cousins (if he is any way available) who threw for 4900+ yards with a receiver group and running game that is comparable to ours (not TEs).

Or, we stand pat, lose a lot games next year and draft Darnold.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think this is the plan that makes sense.  It basically copies Dallas.  You don't really know what kind of young QB you really have unless you block for him, give him people to throw to and coach him.  Dallas has done all of those things.

To say that the Jets should have picked Dak is thus somewhat misleading, as Dak on this team would not look remotely like Dak on the Cowboys.

Yeah, Dallas really invested in their offensive line and it really paid off.  However, they also made the most of their investments because offensive lineman miss a lot too.  Jonathan Cooper was supposed to be a stud.  So was Greg Robinson, a consensus top guy, and Rams fans can't stand him.  Ditto with Cameron Irving, a versatile guy supposed to be a mainstay for years.  Dallas actually got the right pieces, so it's a great job drafting by them.  

It was a shame to see Petty have no time at all with 3-4 man rushers because the line just couldn't block.  Every team we play against, we rush 5 and the QB is just standing there in the middle like a bonfire surrounded by his teammates.  

Happy to give Petty and Hackenberg a real shot in 2017.

A vet min backup for emergencies and a mid round draft pick QB to round out the competition

Maccagnan has done a good job in his two seasons of rebuilding the mess he found when he was hired. I'm for letting him continue doing it.

Certainly not for pissing away cap on other teams failures like Glennon

the thing is it's not how much you pay the qb but how much gets allocated to the position.  the jets have been paying their qb's on the cheap for the past 10 years or so. sanchez was on his rookie contract until tanny bumped him up and then once he was given the boot, they had geno at not much more than a million plus guys looking for the vet minimum. only this past season have they spent a bit on qb's and even there they didn't go much above 16 m. 

if there is a top flight qb who's fairly young the jets ought go hard after the guy.  pay the 20m per year.  part of that will be defrayed by cutting revis.  but then the jets will have a qb who can do more than make an occassional playoff game.  it also takes stress off the draft because now they can focus on positions they need without the distraction of choosing a qb.

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

I'll get killed for saying this but we set Geno up to fail. We threw him in as a day 1 starter with no talent around him. Jeff Cumberland, Stephen Hill, and Jeremy Kerley were our starters with a HC that didn't care about the offense and draft capital spent on defense. 

we set Geno up to fail.

They set Geno to fail because I don't think QB was a pick for them in that draft.  If it was, I think they would have gone for Geno with the Sheldon pick.  I think he was rated too high on their boards to let him go in the second round.  Unfortunately, they had no talent surrounding him on the team.  I'm pretty sure it was a year of let Sanchez play it out, tank, and then go from there year that changed when Geno fell.  

The Jets failed the next year where in a class that might be an all time WR draft class, they picked three guys in the middle rounds, with the only one making an impact two years down the road.  Allen Robinson instead of Amaro? Cooks instead of Pryor?  I think we might have a whole different team.  

I expect Geno to go somewhere and do better somewhere else, although not a star.

16 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Tony Romo ; Tony Romo  ; Tony Romo

Good God, no. No more re-treads...it doesn't work. This is a team on the re-build. More specifically the O line needs to be revamped so even a top 10 Qb would have difficulty to get this team at 500 next year. It's time to develop a QB. Maybe it's Hack, Petty I don't know but I do know we should try and develop our own.

I say have the courage of your convictions. If you drafted Hackenberg in the second round you do one of two things. One- You play him and let him take his lumps as long as there is progress, unlike Petty who showed no real progress. Second you cut him and draft another one. Repeat and rinse.

Why cut Hack? Draft Watson, cut Petty. Petty is useless.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

I'll get killed for saying this but we set Geno up to fail. We threw him in as a day 1 starter with no talent around him. Jeff Cumberland, Stephen Hill, and Jeremy Kerley were our starters with a HC that didn't care about the offense and draft capital spent on defense. 

we set Geno up to fail.

We did, we also setup Sanchez to fail in 2011 and beyond.  But I don't think either likely would have been very good anyway, particularly Geno

Archived