My Top 5 : Pre Senior Bowl

Lray

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Larz said:

is there an edge pass rusher (not DE) you would take at #6?

Everyone on my list of pass rushers has some experience standing at the 3/4 OLB position. I think only Garrett and Barnett are worthy #6 pick though.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

Senior Bowl Prospect Meeting - North

New York Jets - USC offensive tackle Zach Banner, Bucknell offensive tackle Julien Davenport, and Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard 

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017meetings2.php

Important week for Davenport.  Can he prove that he can compete with top talent?  He certainly has the size and athleticism to be a LT. 

On January 23, 2017 at 0:45 PM, PepPep said:

My favorite CB is Sidney Jones- Washington. I've been posting a lot about him recently. 

He may not have the highest ceiling of the bunch. But he is a legit outside CB, he has uncanny man-cover skills and ability to stick to his WR, he has great awareness and play-making ability, great hands, great technique and just overall is the most polished CB with the least weaknesses of all these guys. You can argue he's not the fasted, biggest, strongest or most athletic CB in the draft but his skills are crazy good. He is a day one starter and I predict him to end up being the best CB coming out of this draft, even though he will not be the first CB to come off the board.   

I'd love him at 38

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder if the Jets would consider drafting this guy in the 1st round

I would not mind it at all however it's not happening. Most nfl GM's are aware of how good Howard is he's not falling to 38

This would make me bust a nut:

Rd 1: Cam Robinson or Taco

Rd 2: Sidney Jones

Rd 3: David Njoku

On 1/20/2017 at 6:57 PM, King P said:

Antonio Garcia is actually one of my favorite OT prospects this year.

Very D'Brickashaw Ferguson lite

Good thing the Jets spoke with him. This draft is absolutely GLOWING with talent every where. If we do hit on the right players it would really brighten the future. Wish we had more picks though. I would be on the phone trading Sheldon and even gauging Calvin Pryors worth. 

After watching the Shrine game and two days of Senior Bowl practice, if the Jets don't fix
their secondary & LB issues in this draft shame on them.  Because everywhere you look there
are players (seniors not underclassmen) jumping off the page.  In addition there are some
very intriguing developmental LT's, Davenport from Bucknell and Garcia from Troy that with
a year of "sandpaper" could be special.  Hopefully we'll get two compensatory picks for
Harrison & Ivory and one from the trade of Richardson

Others who caught my eye:

Peterman QB - Pitt
Webb QB - Cal

Reddick OLB - Temple
Basham OLB - Ohio
Biegel OLB - Wisc

Kazee CB - San Diego St
Lewis CB - Mich
Melifonwu S - Conn
Johnson S - BC

1 hour ago, KRL said:

After watching the Shrine game and two days of Senior Bowl practice, if the Jets don't fix
their secondary & LB issues in this draft shame on them.  Because everywhere you look there
are players (seniors not underclassmen) jumping off the page.  In addition there are some
very intriguing developmental LT's, Davenport from Bucknell and Garcia from Troy that with
a year of "sandpaper" could be special.  Hopefully we'll get two compensatory picks for
Harrison & Ivory and one from the trade of Richardson

It's amazing....for a crappy program, UConn puts out some good pros. Kinda like Rutgers.  What do you think so far of the LSU center, Prosic?  Read a couple of bad reports.....was hoping to get him in 2nd. Seems like the West Virginia center is doing very well down there.

To me Pocic is too tall and has trouble bending and getting leverage.  Therefore NT's can drive him back into

a QB's lap.  To me the center from Baylor (Fuller) has looked better, able to take on a NT's initial rush but able

to re-anchor

20 hours ago, thadude said:

This would make me bust a nut:

Rd 1: Cam Robinson or Taco

Rd 2: Sidney Jones

Rd 3: David Njoku

20 hours ago, thadude said:

I'd love him at 38

Sidney Jones will not fall out of the first round. He is just too polished and low risk b/c of his skill set for a team in need of a CB to pass in the first.

He's may not put up an eye popping 40 time at the combine, but he's going to look great in all the skill drills and exhibit his fluid hips, great hands and quick feet. The tape speaks for itself. Nobody will care that he lacks some strength and wont put up big numbers on the bench press. 

I know a lot are saying that the Jets should hold off taking a CB in the first round b/c it's such a deep position in the draft. I disagree. If its a critical position of need and you really like the player, you take him. in 2014 there were a ton of great WRs coming out, possibly the deepest draft at WR ever. But when you look at the ones that ended up being true playmakers and impact players, they were all taken in the first round. You could see the same thing happen at the CB position. The top talent, regardless of position, tends to go early. CBs will go early and there could be a run on them. The Jets have 6 picks in this draft, 3 in the first 5 rounds. They have a ton of positions to address. If you think the top talent in the first is at CB, you take a CB regardless of how deep the CB position is in this draft. 

It would behoove the Jets to trade down but not fall too far in the first round, allowing them to take one of the top talents. 

Trade with the Browns, take their 12th pick overall, give them a shot to draft one of the top QBs (yes, this means the Jets will pass on either Watson, Trubinsky or Kizer). Take S.Jones with the 12th pick overall. He will be the second or third CB taken in the draft, many will say its a reach, and he will end up being the best CB to come out of this draft and make an immediate impact his rookie year. This is exactly what happened with Marcus Peters, who was taken 18th overall after Trae Waynes and Kevin Johnson. He is practically a carbon copy of S.Jones (both Huskies) except he is more physical.  

Otherwise, bite the bullet and take Fournette at 6 and cross your fingers that he doesn't have an injury plagued career. He is easily one of the top 5 talents in the draft and in years past when the RB position was highly coveted in the draft, he would go #1 overall in this draft (weak QBs). He is a rare talent.

JMHO.  

18 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

He is RAW. A fantastic athlete with great strength, speed and size but a risk. I doubt he goes in the first 2 rounds. If he is there early in the 3rd, I would consider him- maybe.

Otherwise, take a safety in the later rounds and see what Middleton can give you at the FS position. I like him a lot and I think the Jets do as well. Pryor will get another shot this year at SS, I doubt Gilchrist gets cut (they have better ways to free up cap and Gilchrist actually played pretty well this season) and Miles has continued to improve.

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's amazing....for a crappy program, UConn puts out some good pros. Kinda like Rutgers.  What do you think so far of the LSU center, Prosic?  Read a couple of bad reports.....was hoping to get him in 2nd. Seems like the West Virginia center is doing very well down there.

Pocic been doing well at the senior bowl.  Lot of teams interested.  Has played both Center and Guard so he has got versatility.  Got into a scuffle the other day so he has got some fire and won't back down.  Most likely 2nd round but good centers usually come off the board earlier as the depth is often limited.  Maybe 2-3 good centers in a good draft.  The rest usually go 4th or later.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

To me Pocic is too tall and has trouble bending and getting leverage.  Therefore NT's can drive him back into

a QB's lap.  To me the center from Baylor (Fuller) has looked better, able to take on a NT's initial rush but able

to re-anchor

I see Pocic being moved to Guard in the NFL.

LSU C Ethan Pocic was the most impressive offensive linemen on the field Wednesday. He was our ninth-highest-graded center in 2016, and saw time at both guard and center in practice. Although he was beaten swiftly on an inside move by Villanova’s Tanoh Kpassagnon (more on him later), he won his other two one-on-one reps and also performed well on double-team drills. His combination of power and foot quickness was on display in team drills as well, skills that led to have not giving up a hit or a sack this season.

Just keeping tabs on the positions they are targeting via team meetings (from Shrine Game and so far at the Senior Bowl).  As for the RBs, Pumphrey and Dayes are on the shorter side as compared to the other RBs at the Senior Bowl, but both are explosive backs that are showing they can hold their own. 

Position Count
CB 1
DT 2
LB 1
OT 4
QB 3
RB 3
S 3
TE 2
WR 1

I think Rontez is good enough to start at SS. He has gotten better every year. I don't see much of a dip off from Pryor to Miles..if any at all. Get a pick for Pryor and draft a rookie to be depth/potential starter behind Miles. I really think Rontez has earned it. He has stuck through 2 regimes and continued to contribute. 

Archived