Draft 3.0 - Post Combine

Guilhermezmc

1st Round Pick (06)  - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU - 6'1'' 235lbs.

599718854.jpg

Beast, BPA. Is either him or Hooker for me.

Alternative Choices -

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State - 6'2'' 205lbs.

2nd Round Pick (39) - Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC - 5'10'' 185lbs

. USC v Stanford : Fotografia de notícias

Two birds one stone. We need help at corner and we still need someone to return kicks and punts.

Alternative Choices -

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama - 6'4'' 252lbs.

Charles Harris, OLB, Mizzou - 6'3'' 253lbs.

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU - 5'11'' 190lbs.

3rd Round Pick (70) - Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida - 6'1'' 240lbs.

Florida v Georgia : Fotografia de notícias  

When healty Davis played lights out, some think he's better suited playing OLB in a 4-3, I believe that he can play MLB in a 3-4. Showed good instincts and speed to play side line to side line.

Alternative Choices -

Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech - 6'6'' 257lbs.

Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy -  6'7'' 293lbs.

Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M - 6'0'' 199lbs.

3rd Round Pick (101) From Denver - Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M - 6'0'' 199lbs. 

Texas A&M v Mississippi State : Fotografia de notícias

So this is a fantasy scenario where we trade Sheldon Richardson and a 5th (134) for Denver's 3rd round pick (101). Great value here, i think he can play day 1. Great athlete, big hitter and can cover. BIG need.

3rd Round Pick (104) -  Ryan Switzer, WR, UNC - 5'10'' 185lbs.

NCAA FOOTBALL: NOV 19 Citadel at North Carolina : Fotografia de notícias

Great hands, very quick, best slot reciver in the draft. Reminds me of Wes Welker.

Alternative Choices -

Jake Butt, TE, Michigan - 6'5'' 255lbs.

Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson - 6'5'' 258lbs.

6th Round Pick (104) - Cole Hikutini, TE, Louisville - 6'4'' 247lbs.

NCAA FOOTBALL: NOV 05 Louisville at Boston College : Fotografia de notícias

We need a TE.

7th Round Pick (224) - Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State - 6'0'' 202lbs.

Washington State v Arizona State : Fotografia de notícias

Well we don't have a kicker on the roster.

Not bad, but I prefer the alternative picks. 

Rd. 1: Fournette. No issue with going Fournette a he IS the PBA although will probably not be there at 6. Let's assume he is. I would take him.

Rd. 2: I don't mind taking Jackson if you think he has #1 CB potential or at least potential to play on the outside. I'm not sure of the CB still on the board he fits that mold. Despite the addition of an electric returner, I go Q.Wilson here (if available)- a guy that truly has potential to be a #1 in a man-press scheme.  

Rd. 3: I agree that Davis can play 3-4 MLB and could be the future (maybe even immediate) replacement of Harris. But I cannot pass on your alternative pick A.Garcia if he is there. Garcia may not be able to step in and start at LT immediately, but he is the type of player the Jets desperately need b/c he has all the tools to eventually be a legit starting LT in the NFL. I could see him having a shot at RT this year and a shot at LT next year. If he is there, I take Garcia before the OT talent starts to really dwindle in this draft. 

Rd. 3 (assuming trade): I'd love Justin Evans here, but I doubt he will still be on the board. If you are looking for Free Safety help, Josh Johnson is more likely to be the best you can get. If that is the case, I go OLB and take T.Bowser, who should almost certainly still be available and would fit in nicely as a balanced edge setter, pass rusher and a guy that can drop into coverage in a 3-4 scheme. I like his versatility and he put together a nice combine. Not to mention the college production.

Rd. 3- comp: Yes, Switzer is a great slot receiver prospect. But if J.Leggett is still n the board (your alternative). I take him. I think he is underrated and has been overlooked coming into the draft b/c of all the other talent at the TE position. But Leggett is one of the few prospects that has true 3 down TE potential He can block, get open and has soft hands. This is what the Jets need more than anything. Leggett would pair nicely with Enunwa who is much more of a hybrid and offensive threat than blocker. I also think Leggett is a better athlete than the combine showed.

Rd. 6: J.Ugokwe-OT: I've been mocking Ugokwe in the 6th round for a while now. He's a mystery man. Started playing football junior year in high school. He was red shirted his freshman year. Played at a small school. He barely played enough football to have a true sense of what he can do at the next level. BUT at 6'7, 320 with long hands and a wide frame he has all the tools to be an OT at the NFL level. He is a project, developmental boom or bust type of player. This is what the 6th and 7th rounds are for. If he develops into a starter, you have a gem. If he doesn't all you lose is a 6th round pick. Worth the risk and the Jets need more OT talent, developmental or not.

Rd. 7: J.Staples-WR: Hard to tell who will still be on the board. But Macc took a stop at Peake in the 7th last year, I have no issue with going after a WR late in this draft either. Staples was an underperforming WR at Louisville. But he was not targeted nearly as much as he would have if his QB wasn't such an electric runner and playmalker (L.Jackson). Staples does not have the speed scouts covet, but he has the size and athleticism to be a great red zone target and the hands to be a possession WR in the NFL.   

Fournette-RB, Wilson-CB, Garcia-OT, Bowser-OLB, Leggett-TE, Ugokwe-OT, Staples-WR. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. A first round running back is a massive waste of resources. 

Not if he's a Pro Bowl caliber RB that can carry the offense of your team for the next 8 years. 

Just saying. I get the thought process. But L.Fournette is a special, dynamic player. To call him a 'waste' of a 1st round pick just b/c he is a RB is silly- IMO. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not if he's a Pro Bowl caliber RB that can carry the offense of your team for the next 8 years. 

Just saying. I get the thought process. But L.Fournette is a special, dynamic player. To call him a 'waste' of a 1st round pick just b/c he is a RB is silly- IMO. 

If Fournette turns into an 8 year pro bowler then I'll bang a goat. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Fournette turns into an 8 year pro bowler then I'll bang a goat. 

I mean, that's your prerogative. I wasn't asking you to do that. If you're into that, then cool.

I just don't get the hate on Fournette. Why assume he won't be a Pro Bowl caliber RB. Why assume he won't have a long career. Seriously. Dude is a beast.  

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Using the alternative Pick approach 

1st Hooker

2nd TreDavious White

3rd Antonio Garcia

No trade scenario 

3rd Comp Jordan Leggett 

Won't go any further then those 4 picks.

I don't know much about Hooker watched his highlights. Very impressive but of course they are highlights. He is a one year wonder no?

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

1st Hooker

2nd TreDavious White

3rd Antonio Garcia

No trade scenario 

3rd Comp Jordan Leggett 

Not the sexiest but I think this represents serious talent influx. 

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

Rd. 3: I agree that Davis can play 3-4 MLB and could be the future (maybe even immediate) replacement of Harris. But I cannot pass on your alternative pick A.Garcia if he is there. Garcia may not be able to step in and start at LT immediately, but he is the type of player the Jets desperately need b/c he has all the tools to eventually be a legit starting LT in the NFL. I could see him having a shot at RT this year and a shot at LT next year. If he is there, I take Garcia before the OT talent starts to really dwindle in this draft. 

I really like Garcia too, I am worried about him in the running game, and going against NFL size players. But his quickness is legit and will translate. Just not sure he will be ready until he has some time to put on weight and get some bulk. 

10 hours ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

I really like Garcia too, I am worried about him in the running game, and going against NFL size players. But his quickness is legit and will translate. Just not sure he will be ready until he has some time to put on weight and get some bulk. 

100% agree. To me, there are only 3 OTs that might be able to come in and start at LT immediately. Robinson, Ramzcyk and Bolles. I think Robinson is better suited for RT or OG but he played LT in college and did so very well so I think he will have a shot at LT in the NFL. Anyway, point is he is NFL ready and can make an impact immediately.

The second tier of OTs are all pretty much 'developmental' guys, which is what makes this draft weak at OT. It's not that there's few prospects that can play LT, its that they are not ready yet. Garia, Moton, Bisnowaty, Davenport, Holden, etc. all have the potential but all need to work on certain aspects of their game to be legit NFL starters.

I think Macc needs to look closely at these 'developmental' OTs and take the right one with one of his 3rd round picks. It's critical that this is a player with true NFL LT potential (has the length, footwork, athleticism, etc.), but I would not nec. expect that guy to start at LT- and there's nothing wrong with that.   

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

1st Hooker

2nd TreDavious White

3rd Antonio Garcia

No trade scenario 

3rd Comp Jordan Leggett 

I'd have zero issues if the Jets got these 4 guys with the first 4 picks. I like all of these players.    

I'm not so much concerned about Hooker being a 'one year wonder' as I am with the injury/surgery and I am also a big fan of S.Jones as a potential #1 man-cover CB. So I may pass on Hooker, take S.Jones and take a Pass Rusher in the second round (T.McKinley? C.Harris?). Punt on safety until later in the draft. maybe take one in the 5th. Maybe one of the JJs (Josh Jones or John Johnson).  

Archived