Decker’s Price tag Shouldn’t Outweigh Presence and Production

JetNation

IMG_3699.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

At several points during this off season, speculation ran wild regarding the future of Jets wide receiver Eric Decker and his standing with a team that was clearly looking to get younger and faster.  So much so that the rumors of his possible departure prompted his wife, Jessie James Decker, to responded to fans via twitter.

Decker, a 30 year-old veteran on a team that’s heading nowhere fast in 2017, has piqued the curiosity of onlookers once again after the Jets selected wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen in rounds three and four respectively of the NFL draft.

Even if Gang Green has an eye on a youth movement from this point on, make no mistake about it, letting Decker go would be incredibly foolish.

IMG_6719-300x275.jpg

Decker is due to count for $8.75 million against the cap this season according to overthecap.com.

As it stands today, the Jets have an impressive stable of young, high-ceiling receivers whose potential makes their offense very intriguing moving forward, but it’s nothing more than that right now…potential.

In Decker, the Jets have an established veteran in the wide receiver room to help the likes of Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Stewart and Hansen as they learn the ropes in the NFL.

More important than his role in working with the young Jets receivers however, will be his ability to work in the huddle and on the field with second year quarterback Christian Hackenberg who is bound to end up under center for Gang Green at some point this season.

IMG_0394-300x209.jpg

Decker has said he expects to be a “full go” when training camp starts after having two off season surgeries.

Easily the most seasoned receiver on the roster, Decker is also the team’s best route runner, enabling him to create separation underneath, a critical trait on any offense, but particularly useful if the Jets run any semblance of a west coast offense under first year coordinator John Morton.  How much would Hackenberg (or Bryce Petty) enjoy having a player who can do that as well as Decker can?

Some point to Decker’s $8.75 million cap hit as a reason to send him packing, but for a team that’s projected to have roughly $63 million in cap space next season (It will likely be closer to $70 million), it makes little sense financially to move Decker in order to save $5.75 million this season (per  overthecap.comwith no viable option to fill his shoes.

After having multiple off season surgeries, there was further speculation pertaining to Decker’s availability early on this season, but if Decker’s recent comments are accurate, those concerns should be alleviated.

Remember that time John Idzik told Jets fans that there was a legitimate quarterback competition between Geno Smith and Michael Vick, with Smith getting roughly 80% of the snaps in practice?  That was great, wasn’t it?  Well don’t expect anything like that this season.

Head coach Todd Bowles has said that all three quarterbacks on the roster (Hackenberg, Petty and Josh McCown) will have a fair shot to win the starting job.  If he stays true to his word, the last thing the Jets need to do is fail once again to develop a young quarterback with inexperienced or ineffective receivers all for the sake of saving a few million dollars in 2017.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ZWq6zagizKg

Click here to read the full story...

If it looks like Hack has a chance to be good, keep Decker and let's see what the team can do this year.

If it's clear Hack sucks... get rid of Decker.  Senseless to waste the cap space just to help support McCown and hurt our 2018 draft position.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If it looks like Hack has a chance to be good, keep Decker and let's see what the team can do this year.

If it's clear Hack sucks... get rid of Decker.  Senseless to waste the cap space just to help support McCown and hurt our 2018 draft position.

Can you really make that solid of a decision on both Hack and Petty in 7 or 8 weeks, or do you mean they should deal him after the season?

Remember that time John Idzik told Jets fans that there was a legitimate quarterback competition between Geno Smith and Michael Vick, with Smith getting roughly 80% of the snaps in practice?  That was great, wasn’t it?  Well don’t expect anything like that this season.

Head coach Todd Bowles has said that all three quarterbacks on the roster (Hackenberg, Petty and Josh McCown) will have a fair shot to win the starting job.  If he stays true to his word, the last thing the Jets need to do is fail once again to develop a young quarterback with inexperienced or ineffective receivers all for the sake of saving a few million dollars in 2017.

Yes, the man who was forced to pull Ryan Fitzpatrick twelve weeks into the season to avoid having the fans burn the stadium down is going to be a fair and credible arbiter of a meritocratic quarterback competition this year. 

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Can you really make that solid of a decision on both Hack and Petty in 7 or 8 weeks, or do you mean they should deal him after the season?

I'm not sure if you can make that decision in 7 or 8 weeks.  If they can though, if it's blatantly obvious Hack sucks, then I say dump Decker.

However if Hack is showing some promise, even just a little, then most definitely keep Decker around to help.

Maybe even make a mid-season move to get rid of Decker if it takes that long to decide on Hack.

It all boils down to doing what's best to get a franchise QB.  If Hack could potentially be one, keeping Decker is smart.  If Hack obviously is not our future, keeping Decker hurts us getting a better draft pick next year.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, the man who was forced to pull Ryan Fitzpatrick twelve weeks into the season to avoid having the fans burn the stadium down is going to be a fair and credible arbiter of a meritocratic quarterback competition this year. 

LOL....I'm wiping the Todd Bowles slate clean.  Not a fan, wanted him fired when the team didn't show any effort late in the season.  He's still here, I'm hoping he's learned some lessons and it's in his best interest to allow every QB to compete and one of the younger guys start if they're even in the same ballpark as McCown in terms of performance.

LOL....I'm wiping the Todd Bowles slate clean.  Not a fan, wanted him fired when the team didn't show any effort late in the season.  He's still here, I'm hoping he's learned some lessons and it's in his best interest to allow every QB to compete and one of the younger guys start if they're even in the same ballpark as McCown in terms of performance.

I have seen enough of Bowles making mistakes last season but I hope he is learning every day as well because I think he will be here next year. Woody seemed to be quite content with a rebuilding year so be prepared to have Bowles in '18.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, Decker is a sh*t head.  He was a part of the disaster that ensued here last year.  Actively lobbying for his boo while putting down the other QB's on the team.  

I'd give him the boot as soon as they can.

You just want to look at that ass as he walks away. Uh, err Me too!

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LOL. Fair. Meritocracy. You are too funny.

Bottom line it.

If he helps with the WRs/Hack's development...you keep him. 

If he's not going to go all out to protect his QB not named Fitztragic, and just collect paychecks....cut him.

No reason to waste time and effort on people who are not on board with the rebuild efforts. I think we will all get to see just how much of a professional Decker is this season.

If its the McCown show, there is no reason to pay for Decker and his money is best spent next year.

Decker may be injury prone but, notwithstanding his Fitz meddling, I think he is a good, hardworking guy and teammate.   He is not getting arrested at music festivals.

He will help the younger QBs.  But if there is no younger QB to help, we don't need him.

Woody is not entirely believeable.  Yes, the Jets are building slowly, to a point.

For as long as anyone can remember, the Jets have not spent on QBs what competitive NFL teams spend.  They have spent on other things, like DL and CB.

In 2018, the Jets QB spend to equal or exceed average.  I predict they will do what the Bears did.

If Hack looks spectacular, then I guess that is the low spend option.  I also do not see this as likely.  The Jets could still end up drafting one high.  But then they are in Cousins-Land and looking at a big contract or franchise in Year 5.  That is low spend in 2018 and 2019, with a big jump in 2020 (or earlier if Hack is extended).

If Hack looks passable, they sign another veteran and draft a QB high.  This would be the base case scenario from a QB expense standpoint, with the most risk.  Hack would basically be the Jet's Glennon.  Hopefully, this is the most likely scenario.

If McCown plays most of the year and the Jet's young QB situation is a trainwreck, they are signing a big ticket FA AND 1) another FA or 2) Drafting a QB high AND drafting another developmental QB.  Basically, they reboot the position completely.    After the Glennon experience some QBs could be reluctant to sign with a team that picks high-either that or they ask for more guaranteed money.   Not that anyone should be feeling sorry for Glennon.

But the moral to the story is that Decker's cap money COULD be needed for next year and beyond.  There is no reason to pay him unless he is completely healthy and effective, and if he is helping the young QB(s).

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, Decker is a sh*t head.  He was a part of the disaster that ensued here last year.  Actively lobbying for his boo while putting down the other QB's on the team.  

I'd give him the boot as soon as they can.

Easily my biggest problem with him. I'd need to sit him down, talk about the plans at QB for the team, and hear from him that he's completely on board with the rebuild. If he's not, then the cap money saved is just a bonus. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Easily my biggest problem with him. I'd need to sit him down, talk about the plans at QB for the team, and hear from him that he's completely on board with the rebuild. If he's not, then the cap money saved is just a bonus. 

No one wanted to play with Geno. That was obvious. That is not going to be an issue this year I assume. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

100%.  And honestly, who cares if he can still play?  This team is ******* awful and having a WR who can catch the ball does nothing for this team this season. 

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

No one wanted to play with Geno. That was obvious. That is not going to be an issue this year I assume. 

He was dissing Petty and Hack too. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  And honestly, who cares if he can still play?  This team is ******* awful and having a WR who can catch the ball does nothing for this team this season. 

He was dissing Petty and Hack too. 

Yes, he was. In a lot of the players minds they just went 10-6, just missed the playoffs. They wanted their best chance to get wins, in the offseason-in their minds it was not Geno, Petty, or Hack. 

If you are just going to cut him, I'd try to trade him for something first. There are teams that would probably give us something for him.

Just now, Stark said:

Yes, he was. In a lot of the players minds they just went 10-6, just missed the playoffs. They wanted their best chance to get wins, in the offseason-in their minds it was not Geno, Petty, or Hack. 

If you are just going to cut him, I'd try to trade him for something first. There are teams that would probably give us something for him.

Considering Mac's success or lack there of moving Sheldon or Mo Wilk, I'd say dont hold your breath.  

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Considering Mac's success or lack there of moving Sheldon or Mo Wilk, I'd say dont hold your breath.  

I am not, but i wouldn't cut him. Not this year. Petty/Hack will need more than Q to try to show if they are ready to be on the field.

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Get rid of Decker anyways. Since we won't save much by cutting him, trade him for a pick, any pick you can get. Just get him off the roster and free up cap space for next year. Decker is a luxury we really don't need at this point. Do him a favor and send him to a contender and let the kids play and gain experience. 

27 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Get rid of Decker anyways. Since we won't save much by cutting him, trade him for a pick, any pick you can get. Just get him off the roster and free up cap space for next year. Decker is a luxury we really don't need at this point. Do him a favor and send him to a contender and let the kids play and gain experience. 

As long as there's hope for Hack, I say give him all the help we can.  

I'm still pissed we let Marshall walk.  That guy made Fitz look decent in 2015.  He really could've helped Hack.  (Dude is gonna kill it with Eli.)

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

As long as there's hope for Hack, I say give him all the help we can.  

I'm still pissed we let Marshall walk.  That guy made Fitz look decent in 2015.  He really could've helped Hack.  (Dude is gonna kill it with Eli.)

No doubt. Marshall will have an all pro type year but he'll have to share with all those other talented wr's they have. Its amazing how the Giants have increased their talent pool over the last few years and we continue to sink into the abyss.  As for Deck, since we let Marshall go, might as well let Deck go too.   

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

No doubt. Marshall will have an all pro type year but he'll have to share with all those other talented wr's they have. Its amazing how the Giants have increased their talent pool over the last few years and we continue to sink into the abyss.  As for Deck, since we let Marshall go, might as well let Deck go too.   

But don't you want to give Hack a legit chance of succeeding?

I mean Q has been one hell of a nice surprise, but just Q and a bunch of youngin's isn't exactly ideal for a young QB's development.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I mean Q has been one hell of a nice surprise, but just Q and a bunch of youngin's isn't exactly ideal for a young QB's development.

I think the WR's are a moot point to Mac right now in regard to Hack. I don't think Hack sees the light of day.  Forget the mentor role.  Mac could have signed a cheaper QB to fill that role and let Hack start day one in 2017.  Its already written in stone......Mac's going for that #1 pick. If he had any confidence in Hack, he'd let him play. Better to save face and go 2-14 with McGowan than 2-14 with Hack. It would make Mac look really bad if Hack really sucks.  Better to not let him play at all, cut him next year and grab one of the top Qb's in the class and avoid responsibility and say 'Hey he just didn't progress as we hoped and we are going in a different direction'.

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I think the WR's are a moot point to Mac right now in regard to Hack. I don't think Hack sees the light of day.  Forget the mentor role.  Mac could have signed a cheaper QB to fill that role and let Hack start day one in 2017.  Its already written in stone......Mac's going for that #1 pick. If he had any confidence in Hack, he'd let him play. Better to save face and go 2-14 with McGowan than 2-14 with Hack. It would make Mac look really bad if Hack really sucks.  Better to not let him play at all, cut him next year and grab one of the top Qb's in the class and avoid responsibility and say 'Hey he just didn't progress as we hoped and we are going in a different direction'.

That's an interesting take that I completely disagree with.  Hack = 1st overall pick.  McCown probably does just enough to **** us out of the #1 overall.  Especially because we know Bowles is thinking Super Bowl.  And I think it's a little more damning selecting a 2nd round who isnt good enough to trust on the field rather than just not being good.  Plenty of 2nd round picks arent good, not too many never even see the field.  That's amazingly bad.  If he's sh*tty, its oh well.  If he cant see the field, it's bye bye Mac. 

16 minutes ago, Powpow said:

If that's the case, and there really is no hope for Hack...  yup, get rid of Decker asap.  I don't know if that's true though.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's an interesting take that I completely disagree with.  Hack = 1st overall pick.  McCown probably does just enough to **** us out of the #1 overall.  Especially because we know Bowles is thinking Super Bowl.  And I think it's a little more damning selecting a 2nd round who isnt good enough to trust on the field rather than just not being good.  Plenty of 2nd round picks arent good, not too many never even see the field.  That's amazingly bad.  If he's sh*tty, its oh well.  If he cant see the field, it's bye bye Mac. 

I totally disagree with your disagreement.

39 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This is the biggest reason why they should keep him around.  If they really want to see what the kids have, provide them with the best possible targets.  Decker put up solid numbers with a minor league baseball player throwing him passes.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is the biggest reason why they should keep him around.  If they really want to see what the kids have, provide them with the best possible targets.  Decker put up solid numbers with a minor league baseball player throwing him passes.

44 receptions with Timmy.  

75 with Geno.

QB savior basically. 

Just now, JiF said:

44 receptions with Timmy.  

75 with Geno.

QB savior basically. 

He's played with some of the worst QB's in the history of the NFL and still produced.  Tip of the cap to him.

Just now, AFJF said:

He's played with some of the worst QB's in the history of the NFL and still produced.  Tip of the cap to him.

Agreed.  Fitz should have coughed up half his money from last year to Decker and Marshall.  

I'd still cut his punk ass. 

Archived