Tom Brady cover of Madden NFL 18

joewilly12

SEE IT: Patriots star Tom Brady lands on cover of ‘Madden NFL 18,’ laughs off curse that accompanies the honor

The G.O.A.T. doesn’t believe in curses.

Tom Brady, 39, the age-defying quarterback who spearheaded a New England dynasty — and has five Super Bowl rings to boot — is on the cover of “Madden NFL 18.”

Does it mean he’s bound for the injured reserve list? If history is the precedent, then it looks bad for the greatest QB of all-time.

The mythical — but sometimes very real — “Madden Curse” has ailed the sport’s top performers since 1999 — when Electronic Arts (EA) chose to put Garrison Hearst on the PAL version cover of the game. Since then, the NFL’s larger-than-life players have graced the front cover — some to their ultimate dismay.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady appears on the front cover of "Madden NFL 18."

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady appears on the front cover of "Madden NFL 18."

(BUSINESS WIRE/EA)

Does Brady think his numbers will dip? Not quite.

The legend posted a hysterical video to Facebook mocking the idea he will fall by the wayside after receiving the honor.

“There’s no such thing as curses...it’s a total myth,” laughed Brady.

Landing on the cover has proved to be a nightmare for most.

So much so, that for the “Madden NFL 08” cover, EA courted star running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Fans immediately created the website SaveLTfromMadden.com. While Tomlinson did not appear that year, there have been many instances of injury or subpar play from the cover athletes.

Daunte Culpepper appeared on the cover for “Madden NFL 2002” — released just before the 2001 season. That year, he followed up a 3,937-yard, 33-touchdown effort by appearing in just 11 games and posting 2,612 yards and 14 touchdowns.

St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk experienced a sharp drop off in production after his appearance on the cover the next season (and never rushed for over 1,000 yards again).

Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander on the cover of 'Madden NFL 07."

Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander on the cover of 'Madden NFL 07."

(VIA AMAZON)

The Curse affected cover athlete Michael Vick in the 2003 season, who appeared in just five games.

Donovan McNabb was not spared either, following up a 3,875-yard, 31-touchdown season in 2004 by appearing in nine games and posting 2,507 yards in 2005.

When running back Shaun Alexander landed the spot for the 2006 season (“Madden NFL 07”), he posted nearly 1,000 less yards than the prior year.

Quarterback Vince Young, who never quite found his NFL calling, appeared for the 2007 season and by 2008, was never the same player.

Titans quarterback Vince Young on the cover of "Madden NFL 08."

Titans quarterback Vince Young on the cover of "Madden NFL 08."

(VIA AMAZON)

Brett Favre was already at the tail end of his career when he showed up on the 2008 cover. On it, he’s a Green Bay Packer, but he was traded to the New York Jets just days before the video game came out.

Running back Peyton Hillis, a somewhat strange pick for the cover in the 2011 season, went from 1,177 yards and 11 scores in 2010 to 587 yards and three scores the next year.

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski may’ve won a Super Bowl ring after appearing on the cover last season — but he was bitten by the injury bug, only appearing in eight games.

Regardless of all this, Brady isn’t nervous.

He mocks the the idea of curses by walking under a ladder and breaking a mirror — all while showing off his glorious smile.

He deserves it.  He's the best ever.

Jets aren't ready to contend in short-term so might as well wait Brady out until he retires in 3 yrs or so.  Father Time is undefeated.

HAHAHAHAHA - Tom Brady - Career ended 2017-18 season. 

It's not like he's in the prime QB years. He's going to be 40 next year. Thanks EA Sports though for helping the "end the Tom Brady reign" cause. The claims that he will play till he's 45-48 is just asinine. Pretty sure there have been many who thought they could beat the clock, every single one lost.
The one thing that was pointed out is the Pats stacking their team...they never do this. Very uncharacteristic. You wonder if they want this last championship to be the greatest ever with 6 and maybe Tom looks at retirement after that accomplishment. I think a guy like him would prefer to leave the game not on a downside of his career either but leave with that final Superbowl record and MVP in good health unlike Manning with the Colts where he was really backup quality. When your in your 40's injuries hurt more and are harder to recover from and occur more often no matter how much rabbit food you eat. I guess we will just have to see what's in his head.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

It's not like he's in the prime QB years. He's going to be 40 next year. Thanks EA Sports though for helping the "end the Tom Brady reign" cause. The claims that he will play till he's 45-48 is just asinine. Pretty sure there have been many who thought they could beat the clock, every single one lost.
The one thing that was pointed out is the Pats stacking their team...they never do this. Very uncharacteristic. You wonder if they want this last championship to be the greatest ever with 6 and maybe Tom looks at retirement after that accomplishment. I think a guy like him would prefer to leave the game not on a downside of his career either but leave with that final Superbowl record and MVP in good health unlike Manning with the Colts where he was really backup quality. When your in your 40's injuries hurt more and are harder to recover from and occur more often no matter how much rabbit food you eat. I guess we will just have to see what's in his head.

My bad Manning with the Broncos.

Archived