Jets Sign LB Jevaris Jones

SickJetFan

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏ @DWAZ73  

#Jets announce they've signed LB Jevaris Jones, who was a tryout at rookie camp out of Shorter University, and released LB Austin Calitro.

The Jets have signed LB Jevaris Jones and released LB Austin Calitro.

Jones, a product of Shorter University, was a tryout player at the Jets’ rookie minicamp. He tallied 106 tackles last season with 15 stops coming behind the line of scrimmage. He finished seven games with double-digits in tackles and was second in Division II with 80 solos. The 6’1”, 228-pounder also racked up 6.5 sacks and ranked sixth in DII with four forced fumbles. In school annals, the Griffin, GA native ranks fifth in tackles (235), fourth in tackles for loss (28.5) and fourth in sacks (12.5).

The 6’0”, 240-pound Calitro was a tri-captain last season for Villanova, tying for the team lead with 86 tackles. After appearing in 47 contests for ‘Nova while racking up 8.5 sacks and 26 stops for loss, he signed as an undrafted free with the Green & White on May 5.

7 minutes ago, TJ said:

I guess 6"1" qualifies for this university ? 

you watch any of those hits he made in those highlights or how many LTs and G he knocked on their ass.

not expecting much from him as far as making roster but he may turn into someone fun to watch during PS is all

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

you watch any of those hits he made in those highlights or how many LTs and G he knocked on their ass.

not expecting much from him as far as making roster but he may turn into someone fun to watch during PS is all

Never even heard of him.  Based on what you are saying about him, I'll be looking forward to watching him in the PS as well. 

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

From those clips, that kid looks like a walking personal foul un-necessary roughness penalty .  You can't even get away with what he does on special teams .

did I not say fun...cant wait for games to start ...even PS.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

From those clips, that kid looks like a walking personal foul un-necessary roughness penalty .  You can't even get away with what he does on special teams .

Was just about to post the same. He's a head hunter. With that said, he seems like a potential special teams standout. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was just about to post the same. He's a head hunter. With that said, he seems like a potential special teams standout. 

No not a head hunter.  The dude has power and short area burst.  If you watch closely when he uses that burst he levels people, and not just ball carrier as there were a clip where he destroyed the FB trying to block him.  In another clip he barreled over a guard who looked 3 bills more than 2x his size..what is he an ant?  Also notice when he lost his burst he had trouble making the tackle...maybe short arms or weak upper body?  The clips on him are short and sweet indicating maybe he did not get much play time or had little impact in majority of games maybe he uses up his burst...blows his load. Or maybe he just doesn't have all the clips.  Maybe a 1 trick pony but hey if someone can teach him you never know.  I wonder how he would test in vertical and long jump.  Who knows anywho I hope he provides some highlight reel.

Just random thoughts in boring off-season 

Archived