Ex-Jets WR Brandon Marshall believes team is 'headed in the right direction'

Gas2No99

Ex-Jets WR Brandon Marshall believes team is 'headed in the right direction'

Former Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Former Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

NEWARK -- Wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been part of the conga line of veterans to exit Florham Park this offseason.

The Jets continued to purge their roster on Tuesday with the release of middle linebacker David Harris and the announcement of a plan to either cut or trade wide receiver Eric Decker. The Jets already had cut ties with Marshall, cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold, tackle Breno Giacomini, tackle Ryan Clady, safety Marcus Gilchrist, linebacker Erin Henderson and kicker Nick Folk to clear significant salary cap space.

Marshall has no bitterness toward the Jets. After his release, the six-time Pro Bowler joined the Jets' MetLife Stadium co-tenants, the Giants.

With Marshall now in position to compete for a Super Bowl and the Jets among the early favorites to land the No. 1 pick in the 2018 draft, Marshall offered support in his former team's approach.

"I think they have some great football minds there in Coach (Todd) Bowles, the general manager (Mike Maccagnan) and even some of the guys and ladies underneath them. So they obviously have a plan," Marshall said on Tuesday while accepting a $50,000 donation from the NFL and United Way of Essex and West Hudson to benefit his Project 375 foundation. "It doesn't seem like they're going to win a championship tomorrow, but I think that they're headed in the right direction. To make progress sometimes it's painful and sometimes you've got to take a step back. But I believe in that team - team being Coach Bowles and his staff and the people upstairs, the guys that we call the suits."

Marshall a breath of fresh air

Tuesday was technically Marshall's last matter of business as a Jet. He earned the $50,000 donation for Project 375, which is dedicated to mental health, as a result of his selection as the Jets' 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year.

"We can't do it alone. So to be able to partner with United Way of Essex and West Hudson, United Way Worldwide, the New York Jets - those are phenomenal organizations and everyone knows them," Marshall said. "For them to recognize what we're doing and bring us along says a lot. The NFLPA and the NFL do a phenomenal job of really helping the guys that are doing great things in the community. Without them, we wouldn't be able to make the impact that we're making. It's great to represent the New York Jets today, although I'm a Giant now. But community and the work that we do in our community goes far beyond the playing field."

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Well, if Marshall thinks that the, by golly, it must be! He said the same thing last season and look how that turned out!

On the flipside if Marshall said the Jets have the worst roster in the NFL - you'd all be quoting it llke it was gospel.

Giants’ Brandon Marshall: I don’t know if Jets will have enough players after cutting spree

•  
X

Brandon Marshall is keeping up on the affairs of the Jets.

Gang Green has dumped a slew of players with sizable salaries — Marshall included — and this week they added veterans David Harris and Eric Decker to that list. Now with the Giants, Marshall is wondering if his former team has enough players left to field a team.

“I am happy where I’m at now and the Jets will be all right. Will they have enough people to line up? Man, that’s the question,” Marshall told TMZ. “I think eventually they’ll be all right but I don’t know if they’re gonna have enough men to line up.”

Marshall also told the website he’s spoken with new teammate Odell Beckham, who hasn’t been at OTAs, and told him, “Keep being awesome. Keep rocking out.”

Giants sign ex-Bills defensive tackle Corbin Bryant 

Brandon Marshall says the Jets' cutting spree has left his former team with a personnel shortage.

Brandon Marshall says the Jets' cutting spree has left his former team with a personnel shortage.

(JULIO CORTEZ/AP)

Marshall, who said he didn’t know of any contract situation involving Beckham, doesn’t seem at all bothered that Beckham has been in Los Angeles working out and put a massive label on Beckham.

“He’s the biggest superstar our game has ever seen in the history of football,” Marshall said of Beckham, “and I’m happy to be his teammate lined up on the other side. Go double-coverage him, send all the coverage to him and I’ll be back side, me and (Sterling Shepard) one-on-one and we’ll be happy.”

19 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

On the flipside if Marshall said the Jets have the worst roster in the NFL - you'd all be quoting it llke it was gospel.

Thank you!!

BM was one of the best Jets to wear a Jets uniform.  He says positive things about the team and some can't take it.

You know, BM gets to have an opinion and he was proud to be a Jet and seems a Jet fan even now that he is off the team,

So what's the problem?

Archived