Our roster sucks, but we did not get worse this week

JohnnyLV

The media is portraying this week as the week the Jets decided to throw in the towel, "disrespected" two "key" veterans and decimated their roster because they have no plan other than to tank.

Nonsense.

1. Decker was/will be released because he is a team cancer. He is the ring leader of the little clique that essentially moped and whined until Mac broke down and signed Fitz, and then when the team faced adversity, tore the team chemistry apart from within. The other elements of this group were already purged in Mangold, Fitzloser, Marshall, Revis, etc... There was no question whatsoever that once healthy Decker was following. So the second he stepped on the field without a red jersey on he was gone. And good riddance. It is not like he has really ever been healthy, he would be a whining malcontent continuously pining for McCown and after all the injuries, there is no reasonable expectation for him to actually compete this year, Dumping him made the young Jets team better, especially from a chemistry standpoint.

2. The Jets were not planning to cut Harris. They were however looking to dump Pryor. In dumping Pryor they had the opportunity to get Davis back who is an extremely similar player to Harris but younger and cheaper. The headline has been that "we lost a 100 tackle guy"....but we gained on in Davis. Neither Harris nor Davis are TE covering beasts and both need to be protected in coverage assignments. This was a wash, and the removal of Pryor was also a positive. Rontez is a better player anyway and he is now the 3 behind Adams and Mayer. We are stronger by a fair bit at safety even if Adams and Maye are only "decent". Much better if Adams is as much a beast as OTAs suggest. But then the storyline goes: "Harris is the QB of the defense. You need him to get everyone lined up in the very complex Bowles defense". No. With this defensive roster, if Bowles does not streamline things he is a bigger moron than I think, and I think he is a bottom 5 HC at best.

So, no. Neither of these moves made us worse. Even to maybe slightly better when you factor in the Pryor move from the week before.

Having said that though our roster DOES really suck. We are actually void of playmakers and every single impact position: QB, WR, LT, Edge rusher and CB. It will be very difficult to win games with literally not a single player that teams need to gameplan against. They can play base defense, and create tons of mismatches against our defense. 

But, the Jets are doing the right thing and do look to have some foundational pieces for the future, TONS of cap space and likely a very very high draft position next year to draft some of those impact positions we need.

Actually an exciting time for a Jets fan in all honesty. For the first time ever under Woody we are not treading water.

Only absolute moronic idiots lambast Decker for supporting the Qb that won 10 games the year before and set team records.  That is the 1st hing that comes out of their mouths and it simply destroys any and all cred of the rest of the post.

Harris?  Not sure how much that loss will be felt, Decker and Marshall will be missed.  Both great traditional red zone targets.  The Fg kicker will get a real work out this year if the offense moves the ball at all.

The Jets made all the right cuts this offseason.  The execution of it all and not getting a single penny back for any of these players was the shame in the process.  They should have absolutely received a something for Eric Decker and maybe at least tried to with Marshall as well (although I dont think anyone would trade for that basket case, so meh). 

The other factor is that outside of Decker and Harris, Mac was responsible for bringing all these sh*t heads in to begin with, so I'm not sure how this is all that great to witness. They should have never been in this situation in the first place.  And then the real problem is, Mac has shown zero grasp on what it takes to build an NFL roster.  He's clueless prioritizing the wrong positions and ignoring the important ones.  

When you start to look at the big picture, I dont know how anyone can be confident that Mac can do this right the 2nd time around.  

"until Maccagnan broke down"? Maccagnan had an open offer to Fitz since before 2016 free agency began, that he never rescinded for some 6 consecutive months. That offer ended up being more than Fitz held out to get. Of course then, after giving in to Fitz's lowered demand, he then childishly leaked to the media - after agreeing to terms - that his QB had until 5pm the next day to show up or he could piss off. Because that's how GMs behave towards starting QBs immediately after they agree to contract terms.

As far as 2017's great purging of low character players, he's held onto Sheldon, offered Marshall an extension, and surely made Revis a middle-ground offer, and has now cut Harris.

So much for the idea that the offseason plan was to roster only high character players. Guys like Darron Lee, for instance. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Only absolute moronic idiots lambast Decker for supporting the Qb that won 10 games the year before and set team records.  That is the 1st hing that comes out of their mouths and it simply destroys any and all cred of the rest of the post.

Harris?  Not sure how much that loss will be felt, Decker and Marshall will be missed.  Both great traditional red zone targets.  The Fg kicker will get a real work out this year if the offense moves the ball at all.

Nothing wrong in supporting the QB , it's the manner in which his HS clique went about it.

As for a redzone threat , perhaps maybe the Jets will move into the modern era NFL and use the TE more there.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"until Maccagnan broke down"? Maccagnan had an open offer to Fitz since before 2016 free agency began, that he never rescinded for some 6 consecutive months. That offer ended up being more than Fitz held out to get. Of course then, after giving in to Fitz's lowered demand, he then childishly leaked to the media - after agreeing to terms - that his QB had until 5pm the next day to show up or he could piss off. Because that's how GMs behave towards starting QBs immediately after they agree to contract terms.

As far as 2017's great purging of low character players, he's held onto Sheldon, offered Marshall an extension, and surely made Revis a middle-ground offer, and has now cut Harris.

So much for the idea that the offseason plan was to roster only high character players. Guys like Darron Lee, for instance. 

The Fitz saga was an absolute joke. Everything that happened there was wrong but the positive spin could be that it was a learning experience for Bowles and Macc. It could be what has led us to this point of full rebuild, ignore the press and purge prior error. Alternatively, Macc could just be a lost puppy.

But given that no amount of speculation will provide an answer, why not wait and see if Macc's specialty -scouting-  pays off and our draft picks perform. 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Fitz saga was an absolute joke. Everything that happened there was wrong but the positive spin could be that it was a learning experience for Bowles and Macc. It could be what has led us to this point of full rebuild, ignore the press and purge prior error. Alternatively, Macc could just be a lost puppy.

But given that no amount of speculation will provide an answer, why not wait and see if Macc's specialty -scouting-  pays off and our draft picks perform. 

Well that is some positive spin, I'll give you that. :) 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Well that is some positive spin, I'll give you that. :) 

I'm just saying- first year GM and HC shocked the league, everything is honky dory, they think the job is easy. They have the media behind them, the owner is loving the money and the hype so he encourages them to do it again. Young GM thinks he can work magic two years in a row even though he's spent his life being told it doesn't work like that. They fail miserably and realize that the process must be respected and commit to using the gifts that earned them those jobs in the first place.

-or- 

They suck

I don't think loosing Harris (as much as I had liked him) was a step backwards. IMO, the Decker decision is a little more fuzzy. On one hand, he has been hurt a lot, and will likely be gone before the team is any good. On the other, he was very good at running routes and watching film (the rookies could use that influence) and if Petty or Hack is going to even have a shot to show anything a quality 1B/2 WR sure could have been helpful.

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Please stop with the stupid ass decker was a cancer.   

It's just hard to be in the locker room with such a good looking guy who has a smoking hot wife that probably sends him nudes all day and constantly talks about his penis. 

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Please stop with the stupid ass decker was a cancer.   

To be fair, Decker was talking to the media last November saying that Fitz gave the team the best chance to win. Granted, that assessment could be correct given our two young QBs apparently suck donkey balls, but I'm not really sure it was his place to comment at all.

And then you had his 'protest' in camp by not showing up for a day or two over Fitzpatrick.  

I hoped we'd keep Decker - he's a 1B WR in his prime on a reasonable contract. Injuries aside, he produces on the field.  So given all of that, why else would the team decide to release him? 

Just now, kdels62 said:

I'm just saying- first year GM and HC shocked the league, everything is honky dory, they think the job is easy. They have the media behind them, the owner is loving the money and the hype so he encourages them to do it again. Young GM thinks he can work magic two years in a row even though he's spent his life being told it doesn't work like that. They fail miserably and realize that the process must be respected and commit to using the gifts that earned them those jobs in the first place.

-or- 

They suck

Except everything was not honky dory. There were simply too many people who believed so. Name the winning team the 2015 Jets beat that weren't without a handful of starters in our matchup. It is an impossible task because it never happened. After inking some $200m in poor-investment contracts we were merely short-term better than other bad teams, but not significantly better.

I guess we should plan on having defenders drop nearly 20 interceptions, show up to our games with a bunch of injuries while we're all healthy, and do things like fumble inside our 5 yard line without being touched. The things that fell just the right way had a low likelihood of happening in the first place, never mind the likelihood to repeat. Not that we even got anywhere meaningful in the playoffs, or even made it in at all. 

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets made all the right cuts this offseason.  The execution of it all and not getting a single penny back for any of these players was the shame in the process.  They should have absolutely received a something for Eric Decker and maybe at least tried to with Marshall as well (although I dont think anyone would trade for that basket case, so meh). 

The other factor is that outside of Decker and Harris, Mac was responsible for bringing all these sh*t heads in to begin with, so I'm not sure how this is all that great to witness. They should have never been in this situation in the first place.  And then the real problem is, Mac has shown zero grasp on what it takes to build an NFL roster.  He's clueless prioritizing the wrong positions and ignoring the important ones.  

When you start to look at the big picture, I dont know how anyone can be confident that Mac can do this right the 2nd time around.  

Was Decker cut yet? And Marshall netted a 5th round pick 3 years ago. What makes you think he was worth a 6th or even a 7th rounder now considering his decline in play/age/being a loudmouth? 

I don't understand why some of you assume any GM, Macc or whoever, would not try to trade a player before cutting them. You think macc cut Marshall and other teams were like "damn, i would have given them a 6th rounder for him!" Hell no. 

Pryor? LOL. We had a terrible secondary and WE didn't want him. Why would anyone else give up valuable draft picks? 

We can barely get teams to trade for Sheldon Richardson who is infinitely more talented than Pryor and much younger than both Marshall and Decker. 

Just because players started for the jets doesn't make them hot commodities around the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

To be fair, Decker was talking to the media last November saying that Fitz gave the team the best chance to win. Granted, that assessment could be correct given our two young QBs apparently suck donkey balls, but I'm not really sure it was his place to comment at all.

And then you had his 'protest' in camp by not showing up for a day or two over Fitzpatrick.  

I hoped we'd keep Decker - he's a 1B WR in his prime on a reasonable contract. Injuries aside, he produces on the field.  So given all of that, why else would the team decide to release him? 

I have no problem with Decker. He was not a cancer. He was/is a very solid player. Considering his contract/age/health, he really didn't fit into our long term plans. The only downside is that Decker gave Hack a better chance at success (from a 1% chance to a 1.5% chance). 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except everything was not honky dory. There were simply too many people who believed so. Name the winning team the 2015 Jets beat that weren't without a handful of starters in our matchup. It is an impossible task because it never happened. After inking some $200m in poor-investment contracts we were merely short-term better than other bad teams, but not significantly better.

I guess we should plan on having defenders drop nearly 20 interceptions, show up to our games with a bunch of injuries while we're all healthy, and do things like fumble inside our 5 yard line without being touched. The things that fell just the right way had a low likelihood of happening in the first place, never mind the likelihood to repeat. Not that we even got anywhere meaningful in the playoffs, or even made it in at all. 

It was fool's gold but in this market, with this pressure on a first time GM and HC, there was bound to be growing pains. Im unconvinced that Macc is the solution and I definitely think Bowles is on the hot seat. However, if Shell proves to be a good starter and Anderson, Peake, Stewart and ASJ all play well despite what will be awful QB play and if Adams, Maye and Williams lead a defense that is better than expected but we still go 3-13 then I'll feel better about our GM. 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I have no problem with Decker. He was not a cancer. He was/is a very solid player. Considering his contract/age/health, he really didn't fit into our long term plans. The only downside is that Decker gave Hack a better chance at success (from a 1% chance to a 1.5% chance). 

He's a 30 year old 1B possession WR making below market rate based on this year's FA crop. He has another 5+ years in the league. Why wouldn't he be in the long term plans? 

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

He's a 30 year old 1B possession WR making below market rate based on this year's FA crop. He has another 5+ years in the league. Why wouldn't he be in the long term plans? 

Why people bring up his age as some big oh-noes is a mystery to me. There are valid reasons to let him go.

I dunno I kind of like all the possibilities

Cant wait until PS to see who emerges from the OLB, WR3, WR4, TE, and QB battles to come

but so far on paper i like some of the lineups

B3iqR4kHYb4AAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

VsuP76mzq6MOd1o6ymOHPFKGinyhdl9kYCcBAHeQ

h9SGznuVqP6jgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

we shall see who steps up....calling them the worst roster in June is just ignorant media grabbing BS.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

How Fukkin sad the truth is....  this post is spot on and spot sad.  

Archived