Keys to success in 2017

SickJetFan

yeah yeah i know Jets suck, 0-16, blah blah blah, whine, whine, whine, blah

with that crying, bemoaning, and bad comedy out of the way

Stop the run – the Jets cannot allow opposing offense to chew up the clock. With the possibility of Hack or Petty running offense or even McCown they will need as many opportunities as possible. Stopping the run starts with the D Line which should be one of the better groups in NFL. I bet this was some of thinking here in hiring Dunn as new coach as they underperformed last year to say the least. Maybe some of those missed meetings had something to do with frustration with Peppers as their coach, Sheldon even publicly complained, maybe Peppers allowed it to get out of hand? Who knows but in 2017 the D Line must consistently win the double teams make plays and play unselfishly to allow the ILBs and S to come up and make plays. I thought one of the biggest losses after the 2015 season was losing Henderson. He always seemed to be able to fight through those blocks and help with run defense. The new ILB tandem whoever that ends up to be is the key here to the Jets success. I was not too torn on losing Harris because not only was he liability in pass but he wasn’t knifing through blocks like he used to do either to help run defense. Harris will be hard to replace but hopefully Davis can. The OLBs must set the edges and keep the runners inside and the Dbs need to shed blocks and help when needed. Jenkins needs to do a better job here on getting off his blocks. Too many time last year he was locked in on TE and taken out of plays. He needs to do better job of shedding blocks and disrupting the flow. Last year it seemed opposing defense were gaining most of their rushing yardage between tackles and specifically at Lee (admittedly I dont have stats to back that up). Lee is the wild card here and needs to step up hopefully with Adams\Maye now that will help. Everyone keeps saying this is now a passing league but if you cant run the ball you are in for a long day. I don’t care who you are playing.

Stop the pass – No team is going to completely stop the run like no team is going to completely stop the pass. With that said the Jets cannot allow opposing offense to keep getting those short yardage 1st downs to TE, RB, and Slot. Every Jet fan knows this has been the achilles heel of the Jets even in their best years and they were downright embarrassing last year. I have said all off-season even prior to the draft that the Jets safety play was horrendous. They tried so hard to keep Pryor on the field for so long and from the start he has never shown the ability to be consistent at anything. You can pick apart almost every aspect of his game but the biggest issue with him is he is just not that football smart. So many times he would just line up wrong and take himself out of plays. There was a real bad example of this in KC game (I think it was) where KC was driving but the Jets got them to a 3rd and long. Pryor lined up on Harris back left shoulder 5 yards over and his job was to cover the TE. The TE simply ran a route in front of Harris and Pryor could not get into position to cover him. If he had just lined up a couple yards closer to the LOS he could have prevented the play. It was an easy 12-15 yard play and eventual TD he was pulled for Miles the next play. I could go on about both Pryor and Gilchrist but whats the point...they gone and we have huge unknown now with Adams and Maye. Getting back to the point of this the new safeties must help the young press corners and allow them to play to their strengths and provide help over the top. Something Jets fan have not seen in a long time. When was the last time you saw a Jets safety break up a long pass play? They must also cover slot duties on TE (and line up right) so the Jets don’t have to spend every down in the nickel which hurts the pass rush and run defense. The CB need to jam at the LOS and disrupt plays before they start. The OLB and DE must get after the QB. All easier said than done obviously but like I said they don’t need to completely stop the pass but rather just start winning more battles than they lose and above all they must create some turnovers and get off the field on 3rd and long which are keys to their success in 2017.

Run the ball – I hope that the days of lining up with no RB on 1st down are over. You cannot give up on the run before you even try. The Jets need to commit to the run this year and use more 2 TE and FB looks and use a lot of play action. Again easier said than done with whomever is QB on the Jets opposing defense are sure to load the box. There is no way around this, they must commit and try to run on 1st and 2nd downs as much as possible. Having some speedsters like Anderson on outside will help but at the end of the day they are going to have to rely on the O Line, TE, FB, and HB to block. Not knowing who will even be on the O Line at this point is concerning or if they will even have a FB which I don’t find as concerning as I would personally rather just have a good blocking TE but whomever that ends up being needs to be strong run blockers. If they Jets cannot run they will not win it is simple as that. So I see running as the biggest key to success in 2017. I think the Jets do too hence new RB coach, talk of FB, and new commitment to TE.

Pass the ball – no team is going to be 4 out of 4 (stop run, stop pass, run the ball, pass the ball) team. So the Jets do not need to be like the Saints. Whomever ends up at QB needs to protect the ball and connect when he needs to connect on those short yardage WCO type plays. Taking deep shots and making some are a necessary evil as well to try and keep 8 out of the box. They key here I think is Anderson development. He needs to continue where he left off last year and make CB and S respect his speed and make some those unbelievable catches where his hands come out of nowhere and snatch those line drives out of the air. TE are also key here and we need a TE that will have 40 catches or more this year to help take pressure off the run game and QB for that matter. Nobody has high expectations for this passing offense obviously but nobody really knows what the Jets have either. They can confidently tell you the jets will suck but they are just as reliable as those who would claim the Jets will lead the league. No doubt they need to surprise and that would take a lot of pressure off the 3 other aspects of the game. If they do that they can win a lot of games. That is big if but not impossible.

I think 2017 will unfold for the Jets pretty quickly. We will know what kind of team we have by the 4th game. That is obvious statement I know but not a common one for the Jets. In past years we all know the SOJ mantra but going into seasons more often than not there was always some sense they could make a playoff run. This year expectations are at the lowest I can remember which I actually like. Jets always seems to go against the grain. We shall see but the point is one way or another I think we will have a pretty good idea soon into the season and even pre-season.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Up until this post, I didn't like you....

thats ok...I am hard to like...just ask my wife, my daughter, my dog, my cat, my neighbors, the post office guy, that fkg kid at the supermarket, THAT MTHER FCKER KID WHO KEEPS WALKING ACROSS MY LAWN, MY FCKG DENTIST....but thats ok...i understand.

21 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

WTF?!?!

The key to success is to go 2-14 and get the #1 overall pick.

/thread

well figure i would go against the tide....you have plenty of other threads to get your fill of this?  if not I could start one if you like?

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Keys to success in 2017: rush defense, pass defense, rush offense, pass offense

Personally, I'd remove the offense altogether and replace it with Special Teams.  Because lets be honest, the offense is going to be absolutely terrible.  Where as, Special Teams is truly a question mark.  The Jets got rid of good old consistent Nick Folk this offseason and are going to be relying on some inexperience in the kicking game in what appears to be a season where scoring TD's will be challenging, to say the least.  Some consistency in the punt game is going to be very key.  Consequently, coverage on kick offs and punts needs to be spectacular.  Field position is going to be at a premium for the Jets to get to the 7 win mark, which is secretly the goal inside the Jets organization and the number of wins Todd Bowles needs in order to keep his job.

Yeah, good passing, running, pass defense and run defense usually leads to success in the NFL.

But I think we'll also have to score points, if at all possible, more than other teams we're playing. We'll also need to stop those teams from scoring points.

Controversial, I know. But that's my opinion.

44 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Yeah, good passing, running, pass defense and run defense usually leads to success in the NFL.

But I think we'll also have to score points, if at all possible, more than other teams we're playing. We'll also need to stop those teams from scoring points.

Controversial, I know. But that's my opinion.

Reading is fundAmental. ..not around here though but if you read what I said you could infer that the jets don't actually need good passing.  Some teams like the Saints lead the league every year in passing but never win.  Conversely they won't need to score 28 points a game if they can stop the run and establish a run game of their own..  I know many of you have a hard time with what I wrote because I was not critizing the jets nor was I overly positive.  Just laying out keys to success which is 8 and 8 or better in my mind.

All you have to do here is write jets suck, bowels fired, and dbatesman is a homo to garner any attention which is fine by me.  Come pre season though I will be watching closely how their plan works and make no mistake this was planned.  Improve on stopping the run , better pass defense, and ball control offense. The coaching hires, Beachum , resigning winters, drafting safeties, Kevin Green, Leggett, Morton and WCO. ...

59 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Reading is fundAmental. ..not around here though but if you read what I said you could infer that the jets don't actually need good passing.  Some teams like the Saints lead the league every year in passing but never win.  Conversely they won't need to score 28 points a game if they can stop the run and establish a run game of their own..  I know many of you have a hard time with what I wrote because I was not critizing the jets nor was I overly positive.  Just laying out keys to success which is 8 and 8 or better in my mind.

All you have to do here is write jets suck, bowels fired, and dbatesman is a homo to garner any attention which is fine by me.  Come pre season though I will be watching closely how their plan works and make no mistake this was planned.  Improve on stopping the run , better pass defense, and ball control offense. The coaching hires, Beachum , resigning winters, drafting safeties, Kevin Green, Leggett, Morton and WCO. ...

I was mostly just being facetious.

We're agreed, there's a lot to see.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I aced the reading comprehension portion of my GRE and I didn't pick up on this inference AT ALL. 

I don't think you could read your way out of a paper bag...btw I didn't just infer it , I wrote it but I was trying to be somewhat nice to previous poster.

Pass the ball – no team is going to be 4 out of 4 (stop run, stop pass, run the ball, pass the ball) team. So the Jets do not need to be like the Saints. Whomever ends up at QB needs to protect the ball and connect when he needs to connect on those short yardage WCO type plays

Archived