The Lesser Practice Observation Thread

kdels62

I'm not KRL so this will not be as good but here's what I observed in camp. 

Coach Stuff

• This is the first time I've ever seen a Todd Bowles camp so I was confused as to where coach Bowles even was. I never found him. 
  • Coach Green and Coach Morton are awesome. They are tough loud dudes that give praise and criticism constantly. 
  • You run laps if you makes mistakes. And there was a lot of that today. 

Defense

• Our Cornerbacks are big. I mean all of them except Skrine are physically imposing dudes which makes watching them play coverage more fun. Derrick Jones almost had a pick of Hackenberg today and he is extremely long. 
  • The D-line is dominant at all levels. Very few lost their 1on1s. 
  • Darron Lee is small. Like noticeably small and didn't show much at all today. Julian Stanford flashed doing Darron Lee's job. Lee was credited with a pass defense but it was a really bad ball thrown by Mccown to a crossing Anderson. 
  • Jenkins hits hard
  • Demario Davis still can't cover but he can flow to the play well

Offense 

• Powell and McGuire are really similar running backs. 
  • Powell still has that pop and go thing from last year going and he's exciting to watch.
  • McGuire is going to contribute early and often
  • The o-line is not good. Brandon Shell and James Carpenter did a good job in the bell drill and in o-line vs d-line drills. But in 11v11s the unit got manhandled. Our depth is a huge issue.
  • It was a bad practice if you thought there was any hope for the receivers. Drops by Anderson, Enunwa and general confusion led to constant interruptions from Morton.
  • Charone Peake flashed and used his frame to give his QBs a target on 2 standout plays.
  • We rag on Jalin Marshall a lot because he seems like a jinx but he was the most consistent guy out there. Maybe he's just a good practice player.
  • The backend guys did some good work. Foxx and Marks made pretty good catches.
  • The offense is very short pass play after short pass play. The only exception is when Petty takes reps and i find that weird. 

The Rookies

• Jamal Adams: Got injured on the second play of 7v7s. Pulled up after an out was completed to ASJ by Mccown. Looks like he stepped wrong. Tried to come back in but left after 1 snap.
  • Marcus Maye: Should've have a pick 6. Seems very poised. Didn't flash much but never seemed to make a mistake either. 
  • Ardarius Stewart: Red flags everywhere. He looks lost. He barely played. Was pulled from drills twice because he lined up wrong. Maybe its his injuries but this is not a good place for a 3rd rounder to be.
  • Chad Hansen: If he wasn't a fourth rounder he'd be cut after today. Ran 5 laps for mental lapses (lining up wrong, false starts, a hold). He had 2 decent catches but immediately fumbled one of them and had to run another lap. He's behind mentally and it's obvious.
  • Dylan Donahue: Coach Green loves him and you will too. Played mostly with the 2's today but he is relentless and strong. Should have had a sack of Mccown, and popped a few guys during drills. 
  • Jordan Leggett: Worked with the blocking group during position drills and got hit hard on his first go, recovered well during his second. Not much work for the tight ends today but he caught some checkdown throws.
  • Jeremy Clark: Rehabbing
  • Derrick Jones: Should have had a pick, had a forced fumble. Big dude that ran a drill poorly early on and got coached up. 

The Quarterbacks

• ARE NOT GOOD
  • Petty had the best day. 
  • Mccown is bad but he is loud and has a good presence about him
  • Hack was awful in 11v11s and it looks like he lost his cool because he got inaccurate as practice happened. Hack holds the ball way too long but i partially blame the WRs who didn't get open all that much. 
  • Hack is not loved by the crowd unless he does something well. I don't envy him.
  • Petty is clearly the team favorite. He walks with a hop in his step and goes over to laugh with teammates when he's not up. He was joking around with Richardson and Williams at one point. One fan said "everybody likes that guy, let him be qb" the same fan was also telling our defense to hit Hack.
  • During their reps, Mccown and Hack displayed a short throw offense, when Petty came in his first plays were a designed rollout and a 20 yard out. I don't know if thats Morton playing to his QBs' strengths or if Petty is behind in the playbook. 
  • Mccown and Petty have booming voices, Hack does not.

Thats all i remember.

Camp is not one week in yet. I know it's tough with everything under the microscope nowadays, but we should not make snap judgements on anyone yet, lets at least see a couple of PS games, no?

BTW Nice report - thanks...

I think you did good kdels.  Called it like you see it.  No green-goggling or kidz gloves.  I enjoyed reading your view points.

Especially since today's practice supports my belief that none of the QBs are good enough, but Petty might just be the best QB on the roster and will earn another shot.  :)

Good report. I think you are right about Petty. I think despite the media representation of McCown as the locker room guy, I think the players REALLY like Petty. Richardson came right out and said it yesterday on SiriusXM and others hinted that way.

Seems like you are a little pre-disposed to dislike Hack though.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Good report. I think you are right about Petty. I think despite the media representation of McCown as the locker room guy, I think the players REALLY like Petty. Richardson came right out and said it yesterday on SiriusXM and others hinted that way.

I'm pre-disposed to liking Petty. Hack struggled today but the ball explodes out of his hand and its just naturally exciting.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

http://amp.profootballweekly.com/2017/08/03/the-way-we-hear-it-new-york-jets-qb-battle-already-over-one-player-believes-so/aemephv/

“In my mind, [McCown] won the job this spring,” a Jets player told PFW on the condition of anonymity. “He came in, acted like a leader, acted like it was his team. He took control right away. He looked steady, he’s been very good and he just looks the part, you know?”

So far, Petty has been flying under the radar with regard to the journalists.  The narrative is all about Hack vs. McCown.  I think it would be wonderful if Petty roared up and took the spot.  I don't have a preference between him and Hack.  Whoever is better should start.  Period.  If McCown is starting, then this team is at least another season behind in it's rebuild, perhaps two.  

Thanks, Kdels for a really good point of view on today's practice.  Much appreciated!

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Other than getting snaps when he was with 1st stringers and being a vet what made you think McCowan was definitely treated like the starter?

Whenever they moved to a new portion of practice, McCown strolled up to the middle of the huddle and was given the most reps. 

The only thing that told me that this qb competition was more than a forgone conclusion was at the end. Hack had been struggling and Morton called up Petty when Hack seemed to think it was his turn. Petty then had an extended period where he was perfect from under center and got comfortable. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

Whenever they moved to a new portion of practice, McCown strolled up to the middle of the huddle and was given the most reps. 

The only thing that told me that this qb competition was more than a forgone conclusion was at the end. Hack had been struggling and Morton called up Petty when Hack seemed to think it was his turn. Petty then had an extended period where he was perfect from under center and got comfortable. 

Hack and McCown have had basically the same number of snaps all week.  One day, if accurate, means nothing.  We see what we expect  to see sometimes. Tomorrow or the second week of practice it could reverse itself.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This gives me a small chill.  I always liked Petty in the way you hope a 4th rounder plays above his draft position and surprises you.  He's got the physical tools.  Just never saw the whole package.  Damn would I love to see him turn out to be a legit starter.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't look now but Gabbert is 6-6, 107 yds and is up 14-0.  Good thing they're at Canton! ?

I get your point and things can change but I can only speak to now and now it looks like Josh McCown is our starter.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I get your point and things can change but I can only speak to now and now it looks like Josh McCown is our starter.

Right now nobody is our starter.

As I said, sometimes we see what we expect or want to see.  

Who the starter is doesn't change from day to day like snap counts. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Right now nobody is our starter.

As I said, sometimes we see what we expect or want to see.  

Who the starter is doesn't change from day to day like snap counts. 

And day to day, since OTAs McCown gets the starter reps. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

And day to day, since OTAs  McCown gets the starter reps. 

And every day it's been reported that Hack looks better.  You are putting too much into who gets the first snap and ignoring that they get equal snaps.  Basically a rookie compared to a 16 year vet.  Oh and Petty getting less than half the number of snaps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, youve been in the anti Hack corner all offseason, right? 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Snap counts are not indicative of who the starting quarterback is and don't mean much. Also Bryce Petty isn't getting as many snaps as Hackenberg so that obviously means something.

I don't trust the fake news media to tell me what's going on with the Jets. Also I don't trust fans who watched practice. The only objective source of Jets info is my fever dreams where Wayne Chrebet appears to me like the naked Indian in Wayne's World 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And every day it's been reported that Hack looks better.  You are putting too much into who gets the first snap and ignoring that they get equal snaps.  Basically a rookie compared to a 16 year vet.  Oh and Petty getting less than half the number of snaps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, youve been in the anti Hack corner all offseason, right? 

You're definitely wrong. I don't have anything against Hack as a football player, I mostly feel no kind of way about him because I hadn't watched him since he was dreadful last preseason. I'm a pretty measured person with expectation especially when I haven't seen something for myself. Unlike you I'm not basing the things I say on blind hope I'm just saying what I saw. Also according to Conor Hughes, Hackenberg has received 22 less team reps than McCown, so basically a whole practice worth of passes less then McCown. 

nice write up.  not good about the o-line but the simple facts are it takes some time for an oline to gel and , like it or not, shelly, wilk and leo are very good players.  if they are getting man handled it's because the dline has come to play and they know how to play together. hopefully they keep it up during the season and the oline gets their act together.  qb's?  that's why teams practice.

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You're definitely wrong. I don't have anything against Hack as a football player, I mostly feel no kind of way about him because I hadn't watched him since he was dreadful last preseason. I'm a pretty measured person with expectation especially when I haven't seen something for myself. Unlike you I'm not basing the things I say on blind hope I'm just saying what I saw. Also according to Conor Hughes, Hackenberg has received 22 less team reps than McCown, so basically a whole practice worth of passes less then McCown. 

I asked a question and will take you at your word.  I thought I remember you being pretty down on Hack.  

I have never based anything on blind hope. Unless you consider my argument that people should wait for him to play before making statements like he's a bust, sucks etc.  Your claim that I'm full of blind hope actually says a lot.  

One week of practices, somewhere around 3 or so passes per to the vet., telling.  Who's looked better through the 1st week, by all accounts Hack, not so much.  Interesting 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I asked a question and will take you at your word.  I thought I remember you being pretty down on Hack.  

I have never based anything on blind hope. Unless you consider my argument that people should wait for him to play before making statements like he's a bust, sucks etc.  Your claim that I'm full of blind hope actually says a lot.  

One week of practices, somewhere around 3 or so passes per to the vet., telling.  Who's looked better through the 1st week, by all accounts Hack, not so much.  Interesting 

I didn't state that Hack was going to bust or that he wouldn't be the starter eventually. I did state that he was bad in practice. He started to lose his fundamentals and skipped a few balls towards the end of his day. Petty did get an extended session at Hack's expense.

Most writers have said that Hack has become a better qb and that's good but it doesn't mean that he's not behind McCown, who currently has more reps with the projected starters through a week of practice. 

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I didn't state that Hack was going to bust or that he wouldn't be the starter eventually. I did state that he was bad in practice. He started to lose his fundamentals and skipped a few balls towards the end of his day. Petty did get an extended session at Hack's expense.

Most writers have said that Hack has become a better qb and that's good but it doesn't mean that he's not behind McCown, who currently has more reps with the projected starters through a week of practice. 

Never said younsaid it, said people should wait before making stupid statements.  

Most writers have said that Hack looks better.  Casserly said from practice you can't tell about short passes without knowing the routes or instructions. 

Petty is a third string QB, maybe.  

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

As you can see from this science chart that cannot be argued with, the y axis represents "Hacks greatness" and the x axis represents "Time."

IMG_0510.PNG

37 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don't trust the fake news media to tell me what's going on with the Jets. Also I don't trust fans who watched practice. The only objective source of Jets info is my fever dreams where Wayne Chrebet appears to me like the naked Indian in Wayne's World 2

I had to beat them to death with their own shoes.

Archived