Jets Camp 8-4

flgreen

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The only one who continues trying to sell this BS is the only person who actually believes and has said that the media was covering up for him.

Now apparently they decided to stop covering for him and are now criticizing him.  Must be easy living in an imaginary world. 

Is this like a Matrix thing? Can I be Joe Pantoliano?

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

I would love to see what Hack and Petty could each do running the first unit but it's becoming increasingly unlikely we'll get to see that.  It's weird to me that Petty has an apparently good practice yesterday and gets 'rewarded' with almost no reps today.

It isn't weird; there is something not right here...

IMO, even if Petty isn't your starter you have to give him a fair shot at the back-up position

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It isn't weird; there is something not right here...

IMO, even if Petty isn't your starter you have to give him a fair shot at the back-up position

Maccagnan: So, Todd, it would be better for both of us if, you know, Hackenberg could win this QB thing.

Bowles: Why are you winking like that? 

Macc: Like, it'd save my job, which would help save your job, so...

Bowles: But McCown gives us the best chance to...

Macc: Todd. No.

Just now, T0mShane said:

What?

I know you watch this team enough to know that Rontez Miles is a badass on speical teams and in the box.  I love his energy and enthusiasm and I hope he sticks again this season.

However, we both know that he's no better than Calvin Pryor in coverage, if not worse.

They drafted the safeties they drafted is because the reason Todd Bowles was hired was because of how much success his defense had in Arizona.  The success of that defense was predicated on the ability of both safeties being able to do everything well, not excel in one area and be worthless in another.

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know you watch this team enough to know that Rontez Miles is a badass on speical teams and in the box.  I love his energy and enthusiasm and I hope he sticks again this season.

However, we both know that he's no better than Calvin Pryor in coverage, if not worse.

They drafted the safeties they drafted is because the reason Todd Bowles was hired was because of how much success his defense had in Arizona.  The success of that defense was predicated on the ability of both safeties being able to do everything well, not excel in one area and be worthless in another.

love too draft players for a coach who will be unemployed five months from now

36 minutes ago, AFJF said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-marcus-maye-s-florida

I suppose, but no one thinks Maye is that kind of player. Even @JiF, who is an unrepentant UF groupie, doesn't think he's that type of player. Given that the offense appears to be horrific right now, it's gonna be dangerous times in Florham if dudes like Curtis Samuel, Dalvin Cook, and Adam Shaheen produce early for their teams because we passed on them to draft a second safety because the ex-safety coach wanted him. Even though it's inevitable, no one should give Bowles a pass on his offense being the bottom of the barrel if, indeed, he's the guy who wanted guys like Darron Lee, Adams, and Maye. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-marcus-maye-s-florida

I suppose, but no one thinks Maye is that kind of player. Even @JiF, who is an unrepentant UF groupie, doesn't think he's that type of player. Given that the offense appears to be horrific right now, it's gonna be dangerous times in Florham if dudes like Curtis Samuel, Dalvin Cook, and Adam Shaheen produce early for their teams because we passed on them to draft a second safety because the ex-safety coach wanted him. Even though it's inevitable, no one should give Bowles a pass on his offense being the bottom of the barrel if, indeed, he's the guy who wanted guys like Darron Lee, Adams, and Maye. 

All fair points, and I'm not going to disagree that Maye might not be that guy.  I've read mixed reviews on him and from the games I've watched I saw him do some good things, but a lot of it was in the red zone where he didn't have to cover as much ground.  I would still expect his cover skills to be better than Miles and closer to the "interchangeable safeties" that Bowles is always talking about.

I think Mac bascially said "Alright, you're a defensive genius, what do you need to be able to run the system you want?"  

I get what they're trying to do and it may turn out they did it wrong.  In all honesty, I would've preferred a QB or CB in rd 2 and give Middleton and maybe a later-round safety like John Johnson to implement the scheme with but that's not how they did it.

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

All fair points, and I'm not going to disagree that Maye might not be that guy.  I've read mixed reviews on him and from the games I've watched I saw him do some good things, but a lot of it was in the red zone where he didn't have to cover as much ground.  I would still expect his cover skills to be better than Miles and closer to the "interchangeable safeties" that Bowles is always talking about.

I think Mac bascially said "Alright, you're a defensive genius, what do you need to be able to run the system you want?"  

I get what they're trying to do and it may turn out they did it wrong.  In all honesty, I would've preferred a QB or CB in rd 2 and give Middleton and maybe a later-round safety like John Johnson to implement the scheme with but that's not how they did it.

I hear you. It just seems they're painting themselves into a corner with this and everyone sees it but them. Even if they drafted all offensive players next year, it's not likely it'll bear much fruit in 2018, considering QB and WR are two positions that require the most time for development. Maybe the plan is to draft a QB and buy a bunch of skill position players? 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I hear you. It just seems they're painting themselves into a corner with this and everyone sees it but them. Even if they drafted all offensive players next year, it's not likely it'll bear much fruit in 2018, considering QB and WR are two positions that require the most time for development. Maybe the plan is to draft a QB and buy a bunch of skill position players? 

I think that's why the drafted two WR's a pass catching TE and a 3-down RB.  We'll see if he's as good in the NFL as he was in college, but I'd say McGuire has the best hands of any running back on the roster and we'll see that over time.  That's three or four pass catchers depending on how you use them on a given play.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't love the Hansen and Leggett picks, but I love the Stewart and McGuire picks.  Really liked Shaheen too.  Would've preferred him.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think that's why the drafted two WR's a pass catching TE and a 3-down RB.  We'll see if he's as good in the NFL as he was in college, but I'd say McGuire has the best hands of any running back on the roster and we'll see that over time.  That's three or four pass catchers depending on how you use them on a given play.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't love the Hansen and Leggett picks, but I love the Stewart and McGuire picks.  Really liked Shaheen too.  Would've preferred him.

The draft media community were so, so high on Stewart and I've been surprised to read about how much he's struggled so far in camp, although his injury issues were predictable. Everyone who comes out of Alabama is injured because steroids.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They guy I wanted really badly in round 2 was Forest Lamp, who went one pick ahead of us.  I guess I'm happy we didn't take him now but we really have a problem on OL and last draft wasn't a good one to help fix it.  

Where would you play him? Center?

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Where would you play him? Center?

I think he might have helped anywhere on interior, C or G.  Not sure how Johnson is looking so far but the line, as a whole, does not look to be doing well and I think we have underinvested for years and it's now coming home to roost.  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The draft media community were so, so high on Stewart and I've been surprised to read about how much he's struggled so far in camp, although his injury issues were predictable. Everyone who comes out of Alabama is injured because steroids.

Alabama players do worry me, but one of em is bound to stay healthy, right?  Right?!?!

Archived