Jets' big- $ choice : Sheldon Richardson or Mo Wilkerson ? ? ?

kelly

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Welcome to our New York Jets mailbag, the training camp version. This week's question focuses on the future of Sheldon Richardson, their most enigmatic player.

Can Sheldon be an affordable re-signing after all the off field issues if he performs well and isn't traded? #jetsmail

• @RichCimini: First of all, I think they're still open to trading Richardson. From what I hear, they'd like to bolster the cornerback position and he's obviously their best bargaining chip -- maybe their only chip.But back to your question: Can the Jets afford to sign him to a contract extension? I sincerely doubt it. With their current defensive line situation, it makes no sense from a salary-cap standpoint to have three interior-type linemen on long-term deals. Heck, the coaches can't even figure out a way to get all three on the field at the same time, so why pay them all ? They'd be better served allocating their resources to other positions.

Richardson says he'd like to remain with the Jets -- every pending free agent says that about his team -- but he also believes he's the best defensive lineman in the league, according to a quote in the New York Daily News. He's probably the only person on the planet with that opinion -- he's not even the best on his own team -- but, hey, it's OK to be confident. What he's really saying is he wants to be paid like a premier defensive lineman in the league, which almost certainly means he wants more money than Muhammad Wilkerson ($17.2 million per year).And therein lies a potentially tricky decision for the Jets: If Richardson has a lights-out season, stays out of trouble and earns his way back in the team's long-term plans, it could force the Jets to make a choice: Richardson or Wilkerson? We know Leonard Williams, eligible for a new deal starting next year, isn't going anywhere.

Wilkerson's cap number next year is $20 million, a league high for defensive ends. Forget about the fact that he's signed through 2020; he'll be a goner if he repeats last season's lackluster performance. For $20 million, anything short of a Pro Bowl would be a disappointment. That's franchise-quarterback money. Frankly, they might have to restructure it if they want to keep him around, which would mean pushing money into the latter years of the deal.They could use the franchise tag on Richardson, buying another year, but that would be an extremely pricey proposition. The current values for defensive tackle and defensive end are $13.3 million and $16.9 million, respectively -- and they'll be higher in 2018. I don't see the franchise tag as a realistic option.

So, yes, I think there's a good chance Richardson will be gone by 2018, perhaps sooner.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70078/jets-big-money-choice-sheldon-richardson-or-mo-wilkerson

Depending on how Mo plays, if Richardson has a big contract year, you tag Richardson.  The tag will be a lot cheaper then what Richardson will be asking for.  No way I'm giving a guy like him $120 M or so.

Jets should have $70-80 M in cap next year.  See if he can put 2 top shelf years together with out getting in trouble

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

If Mo doesn't rebound and have a productive season I could see the Jets letting both of them go.After this year Mo has no more guaranteed money and can be let go for little or no cap hit.

Are you sure about that?

Overthecap.com shows a $9mil cap hit if Mo is cut next year.

That's pretty big, but could be well worth it if Mo plays the same as last year while Sheldon continues to hustle and lead by example.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Are you sure about that?

Overthecap.com shows a $9mil cap hit if Mo is cut next year.

That's pretty big, but could be well worth it if Mo plays the same as last year while Sheldon continues to hustle and lead by example.

I think if someone else signed him we'd get some cap relief. Hopefully he plays well. They only way we keep Sheldon is if Mo sucks and we cut him.

imo it's ridiculous to pay either guy wilk money but wilk's deal is done and the jets are stuck this season.  shelly is an impact player at his position in spite of the dumb things he says or does off the field.  i'm not sure if wilk has the same fire although if you want consistent play wilk is the guy.  then there is leo who is very good at his position and is better than either.  he'll want to be paid in two seasons.  so here we have the jets potentially using a third of their cap on 3 players who really can't be on the field at the same time.  not good.  maybe wilk can restructure.  maybe shelly can take a more normal contract.  pay leo the going rate.  that ight bring it doown enough.  or launch shelly or wilk or maybe even both.

-- Sheldon Richardson reported to training camp saying and doing all the right things, and people noticed. Coach Todd Bowles, thinking the talented defensive lineman had grown up, said Richardson is "at peace with himself."

Less than two weeks into New York Jets training camp, the narrative has changed to War & Peace.Removing skeletons from a closet, Richardson put his personal feud with Brandon Marshall in the headlines (again), torching his former teammate on a radio show. It infuriated Bowles to the point where he addressed it with the team and later bristled when questioned by reporters."I really don't have time for a bunch of B.S.," said Bowles, clearly miffed that he's still answering questions about Richardson versus Marshall.

Can you blame him ?

After surviving a 5-11 season, marred by locker room dysfunction, Bowles made a concerted effort in the offseason to improve the team's chemistry. They changed the dynamic with an all-out youth movement, dumping older players with "me" attitudes -- namely Marshall and Darrelle Revis. Bowles conducted team-building exercises in the spring, bringing in military personnel to teach the importance of team, trust and leadership. He can't afford another season of locker room unrest; ownership won't put up with it.Injuries notwithstanding, things were going smoothly in camp until Richardson stepped into the media room on Monday and sat down as a guest on "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN New York 98.7.Putting himself above the team, Richardson dredged up the stink of 2016 with his two-minute rant against Marshall, calling him "drama queen-ish" and accusing him of "quitting" last season.

Great for radio listeners, bad for the perception of the team.Richardson's portrayal of Marshall is pretty accurate, based on reporting from last season and subsequent conversations with players, but that's beside the point. He should've left it alone. He's taken plenty of shots at Marshall, dating to last season, so it served no purpose to go there again. All it did was undermine the new culture his coach is trying to establish.

Richardson is an enigma.

Talented ? Yes.

Genuine and honest ? Yes. There's no phony in him.

Immature ? Yes, he still has some growing up to do.

It'll make for a difficult and fascinating decision on Richardson's future. He's in the final year of his contract, looking to make a huge financial score. The Jets already have a lot of money invested in the defensive line, so there's a good chance they will let him walk. Maybe they will try to trade him; everybody knows they tried in the offseason.Based on Bowles' mood Tuesday, it wouldn't be a shock if they resume their efforts.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70181/why-sheldon-richardsons-latest-rant-irked-jets-coach-todd-bowles

Archived