Interesting Read on Marrone

sciond

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

This should be the real story.  Woody is so in over his head that he is swayed by every little media report out there.  Not that I wanted Marrone as coach, but it's still bad.

Costello buried the lede. That anyone, much less an NFL owner, would give a sheet about what Manish Mehta thinks about anything is the real story. Basically Johnson ignored the advice of the guys he paid to advise him because of utter nonsense written by a nonentity. 

39 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Costello buried the lede. That anyone, much less an NFL owner, would give a sheet about what Manish Mehta thinks about anything is the real story. Basically Johnson ignored the advice of the guys he paid to advise him because of utter nonsense written by a nonentity. 

I don't see it.  He was already interviewing with the Jets when the Mehta piece came out.  Mehta supposedly killed him because he was upset at the lack of access he would have because Cimini is a Syracuse guy.  He got hooked up with some knucklehead reporter from Buffalo that hated Marrone.  I think Marrone was a bad interview and I think Woody is a bit concerned about that when dealing with the NY media.  I bet Woody was afraid of the tampering charges - you can see it in this article that Marrone supposedly opted out because the Jets interest was conveyed through "back channels."  Sounds like tampering with a coach under contract. 

The thing I find amusing is that the Jets supposedly had this big London Monarchs reunion scheduled for Marrone and Maccagnan.  If I have the timeline correct, they interviewed Marrone on January 3, and didn't hire Maccagnan until January 13, hiring Bowles hours later.  

I hated the idea of Marrone when he left Buffalo, but thought Jax got him at a good time.  Head coaches need time to reflect on previous screw ups after their first gig IMO.  We saw how great Mangini and Rex did when they left here.  Both perfect examples of guys who had to make changes to their approach and some time off would have given them time to think about that.  Marrone got some time to reflect while he was an OL coach in Jax.

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I hated the idea of Marrone when he left Buffalo, but thought Jax got him at a good time.  Head coaches need time to reflect on previous screw ups after their first gig IMO.  We saw how great Mangini and Rex did when they left here.  Both perfect examples of guys who had to make changes to their approach and some time off would have given them time to think about that.  Marrone got some time to reflect while he was an OL coach in Jax.

I think all these guys would benefit from some time off between gigs.  Mangini and Rex in particular got 2nd jobs so quickly that they did not learn from their mistakes.  Marrone probably learned from his (opting out) which was less egregious from a coaching standpoint.

5 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Jaguars QB Blake Bortles stinks, but can Jets beat him on Sunday?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-aren-bad-lose-jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-article-1.3525830

mehta still at it.....

maneesh is a friggin moron.  his little comment of bortles having only a 58.8% completion percentage is more than a little stupid.  but consider the source. and it sounds like his animosity against marrone hasn't changed much.  and then he opens up talking about how this jets team isn't as bad as the pundits may think.  he's one of those early jet bashers.  he's been calling for an 0-16 record.

i hope nobody on this site pays for the daily news and reads this morons column.

From everything I read, I think Marrone was the Jet's first choice for HC.  Don't go by the Macc hire date-they were all in the cue.  

Woody was likely influenced by a bad interview and bad press.  

Arthur Blank then grabbed Quinn.  

Bowles shows some competence at times, but like with the Jets getting Rex and the Ravens getting Harbaugh, the Jets are 

On 9/28/2017 at 12:42 PM, drsamuel84 said:

that's the point that's being missed.  No one's saying Marrone is the next Bellichek but to not hire him because Mehta wrote a nasty article speaks volumes to Woody as an owner.

Now I'm not trying to protect Woody. But we're relying on current media articles written about another media hack's past articles influencing a billionaires business decisions.  I may be a bit naive but I find it extremely difficult to believe Woody would lend much credence to a newspaper scribe in making his decisions.

I'm sure it was a combination of things and we need to discount  what Michael Kay said because Kay and Marrone are friends.

Archived