How hard is it to run a hurry up offense?

jamesr

I remembered on Sunday being aghast at how lethargic and ineffective the Jets looked when they went to their "hurry up" offense. The broadcasters called out at the time how there was little hussle, but beyond that there just seemed to be an overall ineptitude (even more so than the rest of the game) in the last 6 minutes.

I looked back at the play by play and it is so bad it's almost funny.

TB kick off - Jet returner hesitates, then decides to run it out of the end zone having given the coverage team more time to get downfield. Jets start at the 10 instead of the 25.

We then take 2m 15s, execute 7 plays in that time, and gain a whopping 16 yards total, with our vet QB using all his experience to hold on to the ball too long for two sacks instead of just throwing it away.

Finally we have two decent plays back to back and get all the way to the TB 29. ASJ managed to get out of bounds on one to save some time (having to run round his own player to do so).

Our next 4 plays use up another 47 seconds, gain 4 yards and turn the ball over on downs. Most head-scratching is a complete pass in bounds for no gain on first down. An incomplete pass would have been better.

After the turnover on downs the D holds TB to 5 yards, and using our last time outs plus the 2 minute warning it only runs about 40 seconds off the clock.

A sack on first down, an incompletion on 2nd and an 8 yard pass in bounds on 3rd gain us 1 yard in half a minute; luckily TB bail us out with a bonehead penalty. We follow that up with ... a pass in bounds for no gain.

Finally (again) we have two decent plays back to back and somehow get Robby free for a TD with 36 seconds left. Even if we had executed a half-decent onside kick, I have zero faith we'd have achieved anything more than a few yards.

But hey, at least we finally outscored an opponent (7-6) in the 4th quarter (and only because TB went for two on their TD). :P

What I watched Sunday brought me back to last season and the total lack of effort we witnessed all season long. Where was all of the "grittiness" and "resiliency" they showed earlier? Now they have lost 4 out of the past 5 weeks - Buffalo is terrible obviously. The most frustrating and aggravating loss was Sunday against a 2-6 dead team with Ryan Fitz. Imagine, being non competitive in the last game before a bye; wonder how that could happen?? Now they will be returning to maybe 1 winnable game out of their remaining 6. Does anyone think they win in Denver? That's the only game I see as fairly winnable. They aren't beating CAR KC NE NO or LAC since all of these teams have QB's that are looking forward to their game(s) against the Jets as an easy win.  

How can this not be a regular talking point of the reporters , & fans in judging the HC & OC ???

This dysfunctional team doesn't give the GM power over holding them accountable ... Then get the goofy owner in England ... Or his doofus brother in NY to do something about it!

if they can't do that at least get a mentally challenged midget clown to come dance around midfield in pre game ... Then have his big move be to p**p his pants while he kneels down during the National Anthem 

Watch a lot of college football, and a great deal of it  totally hurry up. This would shock Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant if they woke from the dead since back in the day spare the odd occasion a team had a primo QB, it was all boring wishbone.  In a way it puts a lot more importance on players during the game rather than the coordinator. Not that the OC has no say but it's more planning and practice than game day.  Basically they signal a play and formation in and it gets run. It is more  on the players. And suspect it's why NFL coaches frown on it . Chip Kelly failed doing this in the NFL. It's not that hard but it does mean the playbook gets a lot thinner. Now may be you lose some element of surprise, but you also wear defenses out. At a loss when you face 300+ guys across the front why you wouldn't try it, because the big dogs get tired late in the game. You can only sub so much when a play gets  run one right after the other. But what do I know? I've watched Jets offense after Jet offense do the run/run/4 yard incompletion on 3rd and 7 offense forever. That is when they run the play clock down to nothing, burn timeouts like cheap tap beer at a kegger and get called for delay of game like clockwork. 

However much responsibility goes to the HC - OC - QB - et-all. 

They all need to Quit being allowed to bury their heads in the sand ... Walking around with no clothes on ... Or whatever fable/limerick/nursery rhyme/words of wisdom we chose to use.

ADDRESS THE D*MN PROBLEM !!!!

6 hours ago, Dink and Drunk said:

I have a theory that many teams that use west-coast terminology struggle with this same thing. Play names can be quite long, so teams can't go no huddle effectively.

Exhibits A and B; Paul Hackett and  Brian Schottenheimer. How long a playcall be if all it is is another draw play? 

Archived